• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT17| 17th inning stretch

E92 M3

Agreed man. It's exciting to wake up on Friday mornings and go see what he has. I'd honestly be excited just for heavy ammo packs or even more so for helm of Saint 14. Of course gjallorhorn going on sale would probably rejuvenate some of the player base that seems to be losing steam. I would buy another one just for the sake of that f'er being sold again!

I always check before work - a little tradition lol. Gjallarhorn going on sale would be bad in the long run; that weapon being so powerful would just lead to Bungie nerfing it down the line. At least that's my guess. Bungie giveth and Bunige taketh. Imagine the number of people that bought Ice Breaker, no multiply that by 6^3

realcZk

she's obviously a warlock, they are the only ones brave enough to save the city. she was also the only one smart enough to run self-res, toland was probably a voidwalker lol

rip

DGAF has good gaming taste. Although sadly I'm apparently the sole Persona dissenter. I respect P4G and understand why people love it but don't personally enjoy it. I much prefer other combat systems like Etrian Odyssey series, and I can't get into the story. The bland protagonist who is automatically Mr. "women want him, men want to be him" as soon as he shows up in town.

Hmm yeah I get what you are saying. I guess it would still make sense that getting an exotic would use up your chance for that CP on that week, but can't say for sure until someone confirms getting two weapons.

I getcha, could go either way I guess. The line about his light being gone made me feel it was related to the Scrota team but some of the Wizards or the Hive in general could have drained the light like they talk about in other grimoires.

No worries. If we can't kill normal Scrota 3x in 40 minutes I will delete my game.

We can also skip reset raids if people really aren't feeling it.
I am down for the reset raids. Its just I only have ~ 4 hours from now on due to school :/ But I do understand its a pain when people have to drop out. So Its fine with me if you guys want to find a different 6th. We do the raids plenty of times through out the week either way :p

Oh I know we can do 3 in about 10-15 minutes, I'm just counting time down like Checkpointsaurus dishing out checkpoints and Yzen being Yzen lol, 2 trips to the Tower per run etc... I hope I'm exaggerating how long all that stuff takes.
haha nah we can do it fast :) Save the checkpoint and straight into 3x crota killing without delay. Changing equipments will def take the longest.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I always check before work - a little tradition lol. Gjallarhorn going on sale would be bad in the long run; that weapon being so powerful would just lead to Bungie nerfing it down the line. At least that's my guess. Bungie giveth and Bunige taketh. Imagine the number of people that bought Ice Breaker, no multiply that by 6^3
Ice Breaker wasn't nerfed

Shito

If they wanted to nerf it, they would have done it already.
Instead they are tuning their new content AROUND this weapon, which is even worse than nerfing it down: it makes hornless guardians like me even more frustrated than before.

Also:

E92 M3

Instead they are tuning their new content AROUND this weapon, which is even worse than nerfing it down: it makes hornless guardians like me even more frustrated than before.

Also:

I know, but it's not as powerful as Gjallar. I'm just a paranoid person lol - don't mind me. Used to Bungie doing stuff like that.

Some observations from yesterday that go against the grain a bit.

1. Necrochasm is really fun to use. Am I gonna whip it out on a boss? No. But for everything else it rips and the cursed thrall explosion seems to be more damaging to surrounding enemies than firefly. Full health enemies standing next to the explosions die. The only time I saw that happen with firefly on a consistent basis was with thralls. The only thing I don't like about it is the clip size. Double it up to 84 and that would be ideal.

2. Hawkmoon is overrated. I leveled it up to it's two primary perks yesterday and jumped into PvP. I did pretty good with it as a mediocre at best PvP'er. But so did I with TLW and Thorn. Nothing about it really grabbed my attention. So eh? I'd rather use TLW.

Shito

I know, but it's not as powerful as Gjallar. I'm just a paranoid person lol - don't mind me. Used to Bungie doing stuff like that.
Yeah, well, to be fair it's true that I'm analyzing the situation with a "sane mind" in view. But since we're dealing with Bungie, who often made some "surprising" decisions, it's true that anything can happen. :D

I don't see Xur stocking Gjallarhorn tomorrow, if only because we already had a RL last week.
My bet is on a primary. Something disappointing, as always: I'm gonna shoot for it to be TLW.

LiK

1. Necrochasm is really fun to use. Am I gonna whip it out on a boss? No. But for everything else it rips and the cursed thrall explosion seems to be more damaging to surrounding enemies than firefly. Full health enemies standing next to the explosions die. The only time I saw that happen with firefly on a consistent basis was with thralls. The only thing I don't like about it is the clip size. Double it up to 84 and that would be ideal.

2. Hawkmoon is overrated. I leveled it up to it's two primary perks yesterday and jumped into PvP. I did pretty good with it as a mediocre at best PvP'er. But so did I with TLW and Thorn. Nothing about it really grabbed my attention. So eh? I'd rather use TLW.

I don't like Thorn so I want Hawkmoon as my go-to HC for long range maps in PVP. Also, it looks so pretty.

Sullichin

Also:
Exactly. I've played for easily over a thousand hours. I would like to just buy one at this point.

E92 M3

Yeah, well, to be fair it's true that I'm analyzing the situation with a "sane mind" in view. But since we're dealing with Bungie, who often made some "surprising" decisions, it's true that anything can happen. :D

I don't see Xur stocking Gjallarhorn tomorrow, if only because we already had a RL last week.
My bet is on a primary. Something disappointing, as always: I'm gonna shoot for it to be TLW.

If he sells Hard Light, I'd only have to get a Suros for a complete collection :). Though you may be right, Bungie is trying to turn things around I guess.

If everyone had the chance to buy a Gjallarhorn from Xur, and then Bungie nerfed it, they would never hear the end of it. It wouldn't be like the heavy ammo synth, which they still get an ear full of every single week, because they have the excuse that it is a bug that needs fixing. Nerfing the Horn would be a conscious choice and the players simply wouldn't have it.

They need the Horn to be powerful because it is one of the few weapons in the game that actually makes you feel like you have a weapon that is exotic and badass. So few of the exotics help with endgame content. Sure, a bunch are fun to run around patrols and stikes with, but "builds" in Destiny are pretty much non existent, especially in the armor department. If you can only wield one exotic weapon, it better fucking count, and the Horn is one of the few you have no hesitation equipping. If Xur sells it, none of the content breaks. Being able to clear nightfalls with solar burn isn't game breaking, it is just a fun dice roll that occasionally happens. There are just as many NF and even weeklies that are a fucking slog, Horn or no Horn. If they nerf the horn though, they are going to break their community and make their game an even bigger cluster fuck of issues. The Gjallarhorn is a vanilla weapon, they have had plenty of chances to balance it and they obviously considered its impact when balancing TDB content. As long as it never unbalances PvP (it won't) they don't care. They can always just make mobs 2 levels above cap. Instant hard mode! Weeeee.

ocean

Banned
Horn nerd would cause too much of a stir. Even they aren't that tone-deaf. More likely, selling it would make bosses designed around people having it (sort of like Hard Crota). Never to the point of it being necessary, just to the point of not making content trivial.

Even so, I gave up on the idea of it being sold. It's the game's biggest carrot. Idiot launch-day Guardians like myself and others skipped it on week 2 in favor of armor. After that, it's a matter of waiting on a random drop.

Long enough time playing and I'll get mine. I hope :( according to videos I've seen, Hunger of Crota is an alrightish replacement in the meantime. Total DPS isn't the same but it's not like it's a 100% difference as some would believe.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

I'm pretty sure no one has said it's the end-all, be-all PVP handcannon. Most people would say TLW is better except in long range fights.

Atkison04

I definitely agree with xur selling gjallorhorn again being bad in the long run. I guess I can say that because i have 2. I feel for the folks that have put in hundreds of hours and still don't have it though. I mean who had coins like that back in week 2 to buy it?

It just feels like bungie needs to throw a bone to the community as it seems most of us have already gotten the crota raid drops we wanted and will probably back off some until HOW. I'm actually quite looking forward to easing off a bit myself.

phen0m24

My friends taking shots at P4Golden...

sad face

Loved it. Pokémon persona collecting. Time spent with Yukiko. Then Rise. Then
Marie

Who can decide?

Then I found out to get Debilitate for Yoshitsune you had to tell them all no on Christmas Eve? Ack I couldn't play through again. I already had twice.

I am down for the reset raids. Its just I only have ~ 4 hours from now on due to school :/ But I do understand its a pain when people have to drop out. So Its fine with me if you guys want to find a different 6th. We do the raids plenty of times through out the week either way :p.

Nah, I don't mind at all when people have to leave. I'd much rather have our regulars for a shorter amount of time than start replacing people because they can "only" play for 4 hours. If we just save the CPs quickly and then go straight into the easier content we'd get a lot more done and have a lot more fun. I could definitely do 3x NM DS+Scrota, 3x Atheon and 3x NFall w/o switching a single weapon. Maybe a little HM abyss+bridge if there's time but HM CE can suck it big time for all I care.

I like hanging and chatting with all you fine folks more than anything, and the exotic chances are the most interesting loot drops nowadays. Maybe it's just me being grumpy but mics seem kinda sleepy last couple weeks when we do HM CE.

ocean

Banned

TLW is probably the best PVP primary in the game but it has a very high skill ceiling. It plays unlike every other gun and it's harder to master.

HM is a standard Hand Cannon with amazing stats. Good clip size, rate of fire and impact with outstanding range and stability. Luck in the Chamber x3 sets is a bit apart but it's still a Hand Cannon and plays like one.

Thorn is love though. Thorn is life. I get more assists than I'd like while using it but hot damn those DoT kills are satisfying.

My Titan's towel is called Mark of Contention. Its description reads:
"The mighty Thalor was invincible in the Crucible - until Dredgen Yor, and his Thorn."

Shito

Exactly. I've played for easily over a thousand hours. I would like to just buy one at this point.
I feel you.
I'd be even ok to have it really expensive. Give me a way to grind my way through any exotic I desire, instead of only having to rely on that damn RNG...

If everyone had the chance to buy a Gjallarhorn from Xur, and then Bungie nerfed it, they would never hear the end of it. It wouldn't be like the heavy ammo synth, which they still get an ear full of every single week, because they have the excuse that it is a bug that needs fixing. Nerfing the Horn would be a conscious choice and the players simply wouldn't have it.

They need the Horn to be powerful because it is one of the few weapons in the game that actually makes you feel like you have a weapon that is exotic and badass. So few of the exotics help with endgame content. Sure, a bunch are fun to run around patrols and stikes with, but "builds" in Destiny are pretty much non existent, especially in the armor department. If you can only wield one exotic weapon, it better fucking count, and the Horn is one of the few you have no hesitation equipping. If Xur sells it, none of the content breaks. Being able to clear nightfalls with solar burn isn't game breaking, it is just a fun dice roll that occasionally happens. There are just as many NF and even weeklies that are a fucking slog, Horn or no Horn. If they nerf the horn though, they are going to break their community and make their game an even bigger cluster fuck of issues. The Gjallarhorn is a vanilla weapon, they have had plenty of chances to balance it and they obviously considered its impact when balancing TDB content. As long as it never unbalances PvP (it won't) they don't care. They can always just make mobs 2 levels above cap. Instant hard mode! Weeeee.
Yep, I think that way as well.
If anything, my stance is that they should *buff* nearly all of the other exotics. Every exotic should feel a little bit broken in PVE.
Horn should be the model to follow, not the only exception...

Sullichin

I'm pretty sure no one has said it's the end-all, be-all PVP handcannon. Most people would say TLW is better except in long range fights.
All 3 exotic HCs are amazing in PVP and Hawkmoon is no exception. It is a surgical killing tool. Also its hip fire accuracy is excellent and doesn't get mentioned much. TLW is the hip fire gun for sure but I'm firing Hawkmoon from the hip a lot too with much success. I feel like it's an even better gun than the stats let on. Overall I prefer HM to TLW because of its versatility. Its even a solid use of your exotic slot in PVE in just about any situation too.

PuMa

So do we think we are getting a weekly update from Bungie today? Seeing as how Deej posted something just yesterday...something meaningful this time?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Why don't we pursue this train of thought a little bit though?

I hear it all the time. Bungie nerfs everything because they hate fun, can't expect any powerful weapon to stay powerful for long. Let's accept the premise for the moment.

What's an example of a gun that was nerfed for any other reason than PvP balance?

For that matter, what's an example of a gun that was nerfed without widespread calls for it to be nerfed by the community?

hint: if your answer is anything other than Red Death... (which I personally feel is still an outstanding gun, and I hate pulse rifles)

It's sort of funny to me that this myth of Bungie nerfing all the best weapons, apropos of nothing, has such cache. I could show you pages and pages of panicked cries about the need to nerf the Vex, or plenty of my own posts with regard to the SUROS Regime and ARs in general. I may be missing something big, but it seems to me that every other change to any exotic touched so far has been a buff.

I think the net effects of selling Gjallarhorn would be more along the lines of:

1) A bunch of happy Guardians freaking out about finally getting their first one
2) A minority bemoaning the existence of Xur for providing the highest-DPS weapon "to everyone"
3) Newfound incentive for Bungie to potentially buff existing Exotics or release new ones that outclass Gjallarhorn in raw single-target DPS

I woudn't hold my breath for an extant result of 3 in the short term, which is actually, if we're getting into conspiracy theories, the most compelling explanation as to why it won't be sold in the short term. Not because it would break the game or necessitate a nerf, but because there is no new Golden Carrot at this point.

I definitely agree with xur selling gjallorhorn again being bad in the long run.
Why?
I'm actually quite looking forward to easing off a bit myself.
:p Just do so. You don't owe Destiny a thing. Just play what you wanna play.

Repeat after me DGAF: Xur is never selling GHorn again. Basically apply this philosophy to Horn sales:

2013ca31cf67.jpg

1. Necrochasm is really fun to use. 2. Hawkmoon is overrated.

hmm... winniethepoohconfusedreading.jpg

Inspired by Drizzy who keeps calling him this..

OT18|
Hangin' with Scrota

I wish I could call him by his original name, but that boss was patched out of the game with the anti-not-cheese patch that broke his immune response. Only Scrota remains.

Atkison04

And how come there have been no new exotic bounties introduced? A couple new ones of those would keep people grinding more. I want to see some damn oddball, way out of left field exotics that do some crazy stuff.

Namikaze1

There's no fucking bandages in the house!

Fuck it! I'll just go outside and dip my hand in the three feet of snow in the backyard.

E92 M3

I agree completely.

I definitely agree with xur selling gjallorhorn again being bad in the long run. I guess I can say that because i have 2. I feel for the folks that have put in hundreds of hours and still don't have it though. I mean who had coins like that back in week 2 to buy it?

It just feels like bungie needs to throw a bone to the community as it seems most of us have already gotten the crota raid drops we wanted and will probably back off some until HOW. I'm actually quite looking forward to easing off a bit myself.

I would love nothing more than to see a substantial update from Bungie detailing what they want to do to make playing Destiny more enjoyable.

I feel you.
I'd be even ok to have it really expensive. Give me a way to grind my way through any exotic I desire, instead of only having to rely on that damn RNG...

Yep, I think that way as well.
If anything, my stance is that they should *buff* nearly all of the other exotics. Every exotic should feel a little bit broken in PVE.
Horn should be the model to follow, not the only exception...

I've always been a HUGE advocate of having weapons be overpowered instead of feeling weak - no one wants to play with boring, balanced weapons. Leave that for PVP. Now PVP is where the problem stems from - Bungie is dead scared of breaking it due to the linkage.

Hope xur sells heavy ammo synth tomorrow, c'mon now, what's it been like a month? I have 330 coins ready for some action.

Mida multi tool would also be nice, I think he's only sold that once.

Xur hasn't sold heavy ammo synth since HM Crota came out...coincidence?

(I'm not 100% sure if this is true btw)

I mean who had coins like that back in week 2 to buy it?

Hawkian and myself are the only 2 I know of for sure, but I imagine some other Gaffers bought it... ? Maybe?

The other catch w/ GHorn sale was that ~nobody who bought it had unlocked Wolfpack rounds before Xur left, so there was no word of mouth buzz generated.

Toland is still alive m8

? I thought Eris was the only one that managed to come back from the original party.

well, according to lore hes presumably dead since he never came back out of the pit but who knows...i would like to see his return

See? This. This game needs to do a better job explaining itself.

And how come there have been no new exotic bounties introduced? A couple new ones of those would keep people grinding more. I want to see some damn oddball, way out of left field exotics that do some crazy stuff.

There's how you solve the Gjallarhorn issue... Exotic bounty for Ghorn!
It includes having to Solo Crota on hard!
Last step is you need to play through the whole story campaing and 2 raids using nothing but Pulse Rifles!

Top Bottom