• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT17| 17th inning stretch

Nah, I don't mind at all when people have to leave. I'd much rather have our regulars for a shorter amount of time than start replacing people because they can "only" play for 4 hours. If we just save the CPs quickly and then go straight into the easier content we'd get a lot more done and have a lot more fun. I could definitely do 3x NM DS+Scrota, 3x Atheon and 3x NFall w/o switching a single weapon. Maybe a little HM abyss+bridge if there's time but HM CE can suck it big time for all I care.

I like hanging and chatting with all you fine folks more than anything, and the exotic chances are the most interesting loot drops nowadays. Maybe it's just me being grumpy but mics seem kinda sleepy last couple weeks when we do HM CE.
Sounds good to me. Dont really care that much about HM. Its such a pain since it can go really smooth or the lag and glitches act up and make it way longer than it should be. Thats one of the reason I still play, is to hang out and chat around with you guys. Maybe since HM just leaves a sour taste in many people. Who knows :/ ?

Selling the Gjallarhorn is bad in the long run how? That makes no sense. A community absolutely frustrated with a bullshit RNG loot system and economy as well as a patronizing community manager, those are things that are bad in the long run.

The Gjallarhorn only matters in PvE, and being able to finally clear content we have all done 4,000 times a little faster is in no way going to break their game. Bungie has already broke their game intentionally and unintentionally in enough ways that Xur selling the Horn is going to change fuck all. Will 6 Horn fireteams fix CE HM glitches? Nope. Will 6 horns all of a sudden make the entire VoG HM trivial? Nope. Will there be videos of entire Horn fireteams dominating PvP? Nope, oh wait that was Titan bubbles. Let's hope Xur doesn't sell them.

The Gjallarhorn is the best rocket launcher in the game, it is not some magical unlock of god mode. All it does is finally allow you to feel a little bad ass when you are 30+ light level, some 300+ hours in to the game, going up against old level 15 strike bosses. It is not like it one shots every strike and raid boss in the game. At no point have I ever been in a 6 horn fireteam, and that has never held us/me back. Shit, when I roll with my two other buddies who have horns, I ask if they have it equipped and then I am like, ok good, now I get to run a different weapon, let them worry about heavy ammo, I'm gonna enjoy another exotic.

Denying a dedicated group of players one of the most satisfying weapons in the game because of a conspiracy theory that it might get nerfed down the line while you get to sit and enjoy yours is horseshit. Other players shouldn't have to grind hundreds of hours to no end because of some personal insecurities. It is a game, let's have fun as a group. It is not like someone is taking our jobs once they get the horn themselves. There is zero difference between getting Gjallarhorn via RNG or Xur. I am just as excited to see Xur sell something I want when I log on first thing Friday morning as I am when arbitrarily, a yellow square pops up for doing something I have literally done 250 times prior.

I hope Xur sells the horn and heavy ammo synth tomorrow. It would be amazing. So many players would be happy and excited for once.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
50 ppp is a sign of a weak will :D

2 spots are still open for Sword School this Sunday.

Hawkian and myself are the only 2 I know of for sure, but I imagine some other Gaffers bought it... ? Maybe?

The other catch w/ GHorn sale was that ~nobody who bought it had unlocked Wolfpack rounds before Xur left, so there was no word of mouth buzz generated.

Hawkian said:
here's my first exotic weapon, i bought it from a tentacle face with currency i earned

Bx4slYiCMAAIwHe.jpg

WOLFPACK ROUNDS

dat RNG
OT3 word of mouth!

2. Hawkmoon is overrated. I leveled it up to it's two primary perks yesterday and jumped into PvP. I did pretty good with it as a mediocre at best PvP'er. But so did I with TLW and Thorn. Nothing about it really grabbed my attention. So eh? I'd rather use TLW.
Hawkmoon is not overrated. It's a handheld sniper rifle. You absolutely cannot compare it to the Last Word just because they are both handcannons. The Last Word is king close to mid rang and Hawkmoon is king at long range. You will not turn a corner and kill someone face to face with Hawkmoon (often) but will you absolutely nail them from twice the distance of The Last Word.

EDIT: One more thing: F^&%$ the Thorn. People that use the Thorn online are douches. It's nothing but a weak assist machine. I'm only partially joking.

lt519

Hawkian and myself are the only 2 I know of for sure, but I imagine some other Gaffers bought it... ? Maybe?

The other catch w/ GHorn sale was that ~nobody who bought it had unlocked Wolfpack rounds before Xur left, so there was no word of mouth buzz generated.

I had the coins and bought armor instead so I could get my light level up faster, biggest mistake of my gaming life.

Sullichin

Why don't we pursue this train of thought a little bit though?

I hear it all the time. Bungie nerfs everything because they hate fun, can't expect any powerful weapon to stay powerful for long. Let's accept the premise for the moment.

What's an example of a gun that was nerfed for any other reason than PvP balance?

For that matter, what's an example of a gun that was nerfed without widespread calls for it to be nerfed by the community?

hint: if your answer is anything other than Red Death... (which I personally feel is still an outstanding gun, and I hate pulse rifles)

It's sort of funny to me that this myth of Bungie nerfing all the best weapons, apropos of nothing, has such cache. I could show you pages and pages of panicked cries about the need to nerf the Vex, or plenty of my own posts with regard to the SUROS Regime and ARs in general. I may be missing something big, but it seems to me that every other change to any exotic touched so far has been a buff.

I think the net effects of selling Gjallarhorn would be more along the lines of:

1) A bunch of happy Guardians freaking out about finally getting their first one
2) A minority bemoaning the existence of Xur for providing the highest-DPS weapon "to everyone"
3) Newfound incentive for Bungie to potentially buff existing Exotics or release new ones that outclass Gjallarhorn in raw single-target DPS

I woudn't hold my breath for an extant result of 3 in the short term, which is actually, if we're getting into conspiracy theories, the most compelling explanation as to why it won't be sold in the short term. Not because it would break the game or necessitate a nerf, but because there is no new Golden Carrot at this point.

Why?

:p Just do so. You don't owe Destiny a thing. Just play what you wanna play.

I don't understand the logic that Xur selling GH would break the game. There are plenty of them in the wild already. Oh no, ROC strikes with randoms will go faster on average and more people will have one for Crota. How broken, might as well not even play.

Xur selling Icebreaker the first time reinvigorated PVE for me. I welcome having more team mates with the best weapons.

Agreed the answer is to buff other exotics and not nerf the Horn. I also don't expect them to nerf it. I dont think there is a reason to. i think Thunderlord is absolutely worthy of an exotic slot as is and doesn't really need to be touched but the other heavies could use some attention. If Dragons Breath is going to be a "dumb" launcher it should do more damage.

^@Hawk: I remember you were taking a poll a long time ago for people to rank their top 3 or 5 weapons in the game and I had the Horn at the top and people kept talking about Hezen V, haha.

Did you see my gif tribute post yesterday? :p
Nobody cares about my gifs ;_;

At least it was my left hand and not my right. I need my right hand for uh writing purposes. Yeah, writing purposes.

It's your dedicated thumbs-up hand! .... and nothing else!

Sounds good to me.

Ok, cool. I'm sure we can get someone else to hop in after Steroyd has to leave this week, and we can 5-man everything pretty easily anyway.

rNilla

I had enough coins to buy Gjallarhorn when it was sold. I wasn't into rocket launchers at the time and wanted to save my coins in case Xur had something really special in the future.

Oops.

It's OK I have three now.

Who needs Gjallarhorn when you have THUNDERLORD? Right, guys? Anyone?

Didn't matter, I got one from a drop like a week later and I still didn't give a shit about rocket launchers. :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't think that was a buff, it was to make the IceBreaker perk not look like complete shit compared to the firefly perk.

Ice Breaker
Send It upgrade replaced by Lightweight (which was redundant as Icebreaker already had maximum range)
New effects for enemies killed by Ice Breaker upgrade
Effectively gained the option of an agility boost at no cost, makes it a near-ideal choice for the Pit.

Shito

Selling the Gjallarhorn is bad in the long run how? That makes no sense. A community absolutely frustrated with a bullshit RNG loot system and economy as well as a patronizing community manager, those are things that are bad in the long run.

The Gjallarhorn only matters in PvE, and being able to finally clear content we have all done 4,000 times a little faster is in no way going to break their game. Bungie has already broke their game intentionally and unintentionally in enough ways that Xur selling the Horn is going to change fuck all. Will 6 Horn fireteams fix CE HM glitches? Nope. Will 6 horns all of a sudden make the entire VoG HM trivial? Nope. Will there be videos of entire Horn fireteams dominating PvP? Nope, oh wait that was Titan bubbles. Let's hope Xur doesn't sell them.

The Gjallarhorn is the best rocket launcher in the game, it is not some magical unlock of god mode. All it does is finally allow you to feel a little bad ass when you are 30+ light level, some 300+ hours in to the game, going up against old level 15 strike bosses. It is not like it one shots every strike and raid boss in the game. At no point have I ever been in a 6 horn fireteam, and that has never held us/me back. Shit, when I roll with my two other buddies who have horns, I ask if they have it equipped and then I am like, ok good, now I get to run a different weapon, let them worry about heavy ammo, I'm gonna enjoy another exotic.

Denying a dedicated group of players one of the most satisfying weapons in the game because of a conspiracy theory that it might get nerfed down the line while you get to sit and enjoy yours is horseshit. Other players shouldn't have to grind hundreds of hours to no end because of some personal insecurities. It is a game, let's have fun as a group. It is not like someone is taking our jobs once they get the horn themselves. There is zero difference between getting Gjallarhorn via RNG or Xur. I am just as excited to see Xur sell something I want when I log on first thing Friday morning as I am when arbitrarily, a yellow square pops up for doing something I have literally done 250 times prior.

I hope Xur sells the horn and heavy ammo synth tomorrow. It would be amazing. So many players would be happy and excited for once.
Preach on, my brother.
This post should be twitted to Bungie every damn Thursday.

Effectively gained the option of an agility boost at no cost, makes it a near-ideal choice for the Pit.
I don't know if it's just me, but it always felt to me I moved quicker with MIDA than with IB.

Sullichin

I had enough coins to buy Gjallarhorn when it was sold. I wasn't into rocket launchers at the time and wanted to save my coins in case Xur had something really special in the future.

Oops.

I didn't have enough coins, but I was saving for Sunbreakers at the time. That was my first Xur purchase. I was happy he sold it two weeks in a row because I missed it. I remember thinking phew, glad I got that, what are the chances he will sell that again any time soon?

Every week.

I still felt badass having them because I got an exotic piece before my friends. They still do look pretty cool.

Let us not forget when we actually saved our coins for a special Xur purchase. Lots of new players. Not everyone's got that stack of strange, still.

I got one before Xur sold it, and told my friends its worth 17 coins but no one listened.

I never forget to remind them that even today.

realcZk

6xxEPkp.gif

Sullichin

Didn't matter, I got one from a drop like a week later and I still didn't give a shit about rocket launchers. :p
Thunderlord is fucking amazing. If I also had GH I think I would still use Thunderlord for strikes and switch to GH at the boss.

LiK

haven't really used it at all in PVP. I mainly use Corrective Measure and Against All Odds with HMGs.

KxoZz

Noob question; don't play much pvp -
Does it matter if I use 312 or a 331 hawkmoon in pvp?
I was playing control this afternoon with my 302 hawkmoon and was doing 90 crit, 60 bodyshot. Then I upgraded it to 307 and was doing 94 crit and 64 bodyshot.

ethomaz

Banned
I still maintain Ice Breaker's ammo regen has been slowed down at some point, possibly before the sale.
+1

I had Ice Breaker at beginning of the game and today the regen is too slow.

I was playing control this afternoon with my 302 hawkmoon and was doing 90 crit, 60 bodyshot. Then I upgraded it to 307 and was doing 94 crit and 64 bodyshot.
Yes... it matter... at least it mattered for me when I was leveling Suros.

The Last Word is king close to mid rang and Hawkmoon is king at long range.

This is the key with any comparison/debate: clearly defining the conditions. TLW is not objectively better than HM and vice versa, they are both better for their respective play styles. I like to hang back and play defensively in Control so I prefer HMoon. Cap 2 points then sit the fuck back on them and win. If someone rushes hard then I have a shotty or maybe fusion for closer range. With TLW I would probably go sniper as a secondary.

Oops.

That's exactly what I did. Preferred machine guns over rocket launchers so didn't buy the G-horn when Xur had it...

Haven't seen a single ghorn drop since. :(

I'm actually okay with them nerfing it, as long as other heavy weapons get buffed / balanced.

LiK

seems negligible in normal PVP. you mainly want to unlock all the perks.

realcZk

Crota summons his oversoul
Toland died.
Omar died.
Vell died.
Eriana-3 died.
Sai Mota died.
Eris died.
Eris self-resurrected

Eris has left the fireteam

Agreed 100%.

There are lvl 20 players running around with g-horns after 15 hours of play where players with 500+ hours have remained horn-less, and completed all content on all difficulties without it. Xur selling horn wouldn't break anything.

blackflag

I had the coins but I was like yo....this unfriendly giant is good enough.

Namikaze1

You guys bought your Gjallarhorns? Ew...

I got mine the way Bungie intended it: through sheer fucking luck.

got mine days before it went on sale.

Random: "How you get your Gjallarhorn?"

random #2: "I bought mine."

Me: "And there I was, hunting down a Vex Lord to gain the favor of the silver haired queen for the third time. Upon my arrival to the fourth gate, a lone Vex Minotaur stood in my path. Harpies, Goblins, and a lone HobGoblin stood along side it. One by one they fell till only the Hydra to the far left of me remained. Three well placed sniper shots were all it took to destroy the giant machine. Upon its destruction, an orb shining bright purple dropped. I reloaded my faithful Hawkmoon and rushed forth to pick up the legendary item. The screen flashed and on the right corner, a legendary engram for a heavy weapon appeared for a few seconds. I continue on, killing every vex that stood in my way. Finally, I came face to face with the Vex Lord whose head I must claim. Two minutes later, I returned to the Queen and her douchy brother. I showed them my prize. I headed back to my ship but not before flipping off the douche. Back in orbit, I set course for the Tower. Upon my arrival, I felt Rahool's eyes on me. The man knew I had come for him. We stared deep into each other's eyes before I handed over my engram. He turns around and utters a simple phrase. The engram begins to take shape. Rahool takes a quick glance at me. I could tell he didn't wanted to give me the weapon the engram turned into. Swallowing his pride, he turns around and roughly places a majestic rocket launcher in my arms. He tells me to leave his presence rather harshly. I did not care for in my arms lay a weapon I would one day call the Godkiller. Gjallarhorn was mine!"

Random #3: "I just fucking bought mine. Who the hell cares?!"

Random #4: "I didn't bought it cause rocket launchers suck ass!"

*random 1-3 and myself turns to look at #4*

Random #4: "If I knew then what I know now, I would've bought it! Don't judge me!"

I bought one as well. Another friend of mine got one pretty damn early on and kept raving about it.

My only Xur regret is not buying Red Death. Bought the Helm of Inmost Light instead. So. Not. Worth it.

Top Bottom