• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT17| 17th inning stretch

All I want from Xur is MOTTM, and Heavy Synth (just in case they patch the heavy ammo glitch)

If they patch the Heavy Ammo drop glitch before fixing the Heavy Ammo loss glitch, there will be hell to pay. The forum's would go nuclear.

If they are smart, they patch both at the same time.

Lol I can't remember the exact quote but it was something along those lines.

The one Exotic I really want is the Helm of Saint-14. Like a dummy I wasted nearly all my notes rerolling IB weapons and then he of course had exotic helmet engrams.

Hahaha dangit. I know it had to do with something about Hard... but I was really referencing something within the game! Hmm I think it might have been "Do both of yall have a hard one?" maybe it was about having a hard checkpoint or something. Argh

Oh I know exactly how you feel!! I feel terrible for wasting 70 motes on rerolling my timur's lashes that I no longer use. :X Hope he has helm of saint for ya

dB Viper

What I hope Xur doesn't sell, since I hate him and all of this gear.

Praxic Fire
MOTTM
Ruin Wings
Helm of Saint 14
Hard Light
Heavy Ammo

RNG, please see the above. Since I hate all of the above, do not sell.

RNG can't see spoilers, I hope Xur has any of the above...please

Homeboyd

It doesn't reduce damage output for me...

as with the suros regime, to each their own; but these calculations conducted in a vacuum (extrapolating precision hip fire damage per shot to comparable DPS) are all essentially moot because the purpose and effect of focused fire is to make it easier to hit more headshots more consistently. I can't get the sustatined precision DPS firing from the hip that is calculated here in practice, or anywhere close. But if you can, of course more power to you.
Allowing for easier headshots is besides the point. Focused fire is supposed to be a damage output buff, for any shot. It isn't... it's bugged.

(this isn't the only 'vacuum' study on this either)

rNilla

No guys. No Land Beyond.

What I hope Xur doesn't sell, since I hate him and all of this gear.

Praxic Fire
MOTTM
Ruin Wings
Helm of Saint 14
Hard Light
Heavy Ammo

RNG, please see the above. Since I hate all of the above, do not sell.

RNG can't see spoilers, I hope Xur has any of the above...please

Hahaha.

Can't happen, he doesn't sell PS exclusives.

4th Horseman is exclusive :p

bugsjpg.png
bugsjpg.png
bugsjpg.png
bugsjpg.png
bugsjpg.png
bugsjpg.png

I don't think he can sell 4th horseman, since it's a PS exclusive?

haha I know, it's just a wish. It's the only exotic gun I don't have, other than Super Good Advice and Pocket Infinity which I'm in the progress of completing to no hurry (no dang vault space, Bungie!!!!!)

spyder_ur

Grim & Spyder_ur, what did I ask both of you the other day during our normal crota runs... are both of yall hard? Hahaha it was something like that but I can't remember because we were laughing too much

Ha, I don't quite remember, it was something along those lines but there was a lot of (unintended?) sexual innuendo floating around the chat at that time.

Sullichin

If they patch the Heavy Ammo drop glitch before fixing the Heavy Ammo loss glitch, there will be hell to pay. The forum's would go nuclear.

If they are smart, they patch both at the same time.

Even if heavy ammo wasn't bugged at all I don't understand why Eris sells 1 synth for 5 black wax idols. It's such a bad deal.

Also, the heavy ammo perk is all but useless on machine guns, but the ammo loss bug gets more attention. It adds one bullet. I can only assume this is a bug too.

Ha, I don't quite remember, it was something along those lines but there was a lot of (unintended?) sexual innuendo floating around the chat at that time.

It's driving me nuts because I want to know what it was about! But I believe it was if yall had a hard one, just not sure what that was asking anymore hahaha the only thing I can think of now is a hard checkpoint OH!!! Hard Gorgons!!!! We were talking about grabbing the chest afterwards and both of you said you had the checkpoint so I said if yall had a hard one!! YES!!!!

Even if heavy ammo wasn't bugged at all I don't understand why Eris sells 1 synth for 5 black wax idols. It's such a bad deal.

Also, the heavy ammo perk is all but useless on machine guns, but the ammo loss bug gets more attention. It adds one bullet. I can only assume this is a bug too.

Yeah, I don't get that exchange at all. Black Wax may be common, but it isn't THAT common. Bungie wants to imply that 1 coin is worth 25 Black Wax? The economy is totally screwed up. You would be better off getting glimmer from the 5 Black Wax and purchasing from Gunsmith.

LordofPwn

if xur doesnt have heavy ammo synths i might not play much destiny next week. I use 1 or 2 synths in a hard run when i run sword and im now down to 6. dont have the time right now to farm glim glam. hell still need to do 2 nightfalls and a hard crota still.

So this week I got duplicate everything. :(

Vex from VOG again.
Word of Crota from Crota. Again.

Also I stuck around after beating Crota last week till the game sent me to orbit, and I got a Suros. The team I was on this week manually sent us to orbit after we beat Crota, and I got nothing, they said there was no truth to sticking around and getting extra shit.

I have proof of it being otherwise.

Does anyone know?

if xur doesnt have heavy ammo synths i might not play much destiny next week. I use 1 or 2 synths in a hard run when i run sword and im now down to 6. dont have the time right now to farm glim glam. hell still need to do 2 nightfalls and a hard crota still.

Agreed. I am not gonna farm glimmer to buy heavy ammo synthesis. I have been sitting at ~ 10 heavy ammo synthesis all week and less than ~7000 glimmer, the lowest was ~700 glimmer.

E92 M3

No you just hoard them all like me and only shard dupes. Most people shard exotics if they know they'll never use them. I always keep 1 of everything JUST IN CASE!

That is true and I even have dupes that I didn't shard and keep on other characters lol. That said, there are obvious differentials between exotic drops for various people.

This week I need to get my Fatebringer. This is it - it's happening motherfuckers.

Is there something about this OT title that's so clever that I'm not getting it?

Most of us aren't lol.

EL CUCO

Heavy ammo drop trick FTW.
Learn it, and never look back.

Xur Wishlist:

Titan Armor: Don't care.
Hunter Armor: MOTM.
Warlock Armor: Heart of Praxic Fire.
Exotic Engram: CHEST (considering HoPF is most likely not gonna be sold).
Weapon: Hard Light (considering he will never sell Hawkmoon).

Upgrades:
Monte Carlo (Missed the last couple of times it was available).

Other:
Heavy Ammo Synth. I'll buy 200 this time.

RetroMG

I keep getting strange coins from Cryptarch engrams, when I really need plasteel plating. Even when he's helping me, he's still screwing me.

IHaveIce

Banned

Vex from VOG again.

Also I stuck around after beating Crota last week till the game sent me to orbit, and I got a Suros. The team I was on this week manually sent us to orbit after we beat Crota, and I got nothing, they said there was no truth to sticking around and getting extra shit.

Does anyone know?

I did not know there was a rumour about this at all

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Allowing for easier headshots is besides the point. Focused fire is supposed to be a damage output buff, for any shot. It isn't... it's bugged.

Why would you claim that....? This test on reddit doesn't say anything of the sort. If there is another that indicates that, I will stand corrected.

It is the very first chart in the research you linked to.
3FtMlI2.png

Focused fire shots do more damage per shot no matter what enemy they hit or whether or not it is a precision shot.

He then calculates damage per second by extrapolating from the time it takes to empty a magazine ([damage per shot] x magazine size / time to empty magazine), and then sustained damage per second by also factoring in the time taken to reload.

DPS and sustained DPS are higher without focus fire solely because of the higher rate of fire without focused fire. If you hit every headshot firing from the hip (or without the perk selected), you will do more DPS (again remember per second, not per shot)- the additional damage provided by focus fire isn't enough to compensate for the higher RoF under the conditions that every precision shot hit. This is accurate math. But in practice I can't hit headshots with every bullet with a high RoF auto rifle. So of course allowing for easier headshots is relevant. It's the primary benefit of the perk.

I went through this exact same argument about the SUROS Regime which, you must understand, involves the exact same scenario (lower "idealized" DPS with focused fire than without).

Nothing is bugged with regard to the Abyss Defiant, the research you point to doesn't claim otherwise. I'll just reiterate what I originally said, if you do better with it without focused fire, more power to you. It makes it much easier for me to hit headshots and that's much more important to me.

just as an aside, I notice the author of this research is pretty taken with the impact of Hive Disruptor (I haven't unlocked it yet)
mFmaEme.png

^edit: lol Hawk.

Hawkian is right though, you have to factor in the probability of actually hitting the precision shots (or body shots or missing) with and without focused fire. Easier headshots are very much (part of) the point. According to that chart, each individual shot does more damage with focused fire, as the perk description says (105-->140 for red enemy body, etc.). The problem with those DPS calculations is that it's just multiplying damage per round * rounds in magazine which assumes that you actually hit every round with that given type of shot, i.e. body or head shot.

For just comparing Abyss Defiant hip fire vs. AD FF, the rounds/magazine doesn't matter since it's the same, so the supposedly lower DPS comes from the percent increase in FF damage being less than the percent increase in "time to empty mag" with FF. But in reality you have a higher probability of landing more head shots than body shots and missed shots when using focused fire vs. hip fire. So you would have to take a much, much larger sample size of full clips fired at the same enemies from the same distances with FF vs. HF to generate some reasonable averages at distances relevant to PvE and/or PvP.

The FF perk would be more useful at longer ranges, but it could still have higher DPS when closer as long as the increase in real damage per shot (probability weighted average of head, body and missed) outweighed the decrease in firing speed talked about in that reddit post. You'd also have to account for any differences is range-based damage fall-off between HF and FF (if there are any differences).

TL;DR: That reddit post is bad. Needs real world experimentation, not hypothetical calculations.

dB Viper

Vex from VOG again.

Does anyone know?

There's nothing if you stay.

If Crota drops an exotic for you, you won't see it in your inventory (or on the loot drops, right of screen). You may not even see it on the bottom left rolling list when it comes up, depending if you're watching it.

The exotic appears in your inventory when you get back to orbit. I have received Plan C and Patience and Time from Crota, and what I described above has happened each time. We always go back to orbit after it's over, never wait.

Yea if we can change the name, just more random ones

Destiny |OT17| Barely Hangin' From Scrota's End
Destiny |OT17| Guardian Down
Destiny |OT17| Twerkin As Intended (too close to OT10, just a joke about rNilla's funny thrall gif)
Destiny |OT17| My Vault is Still Full
Destiny |OT17| Unload Primary Weapon + Ice Breaker = Profit
Destiny |OT17| Enrage happens at the 1 yard line
Destiny |OT17| Crota = The Real Left Shark

ocean

Banned

Vex from VOG again.

Does anyone know?
You have proof? Tell me about that.

I have seen Exotics on the rewards screen but they're the same you see announced in the lower left. If someone gets an Exotic from Crota and you leave to Orbit before the countdown, press the touchpad. It'll show you the stats and rewards screen, and the Exotic will be there. No more and no less.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
^edit: lol Hawk.
Lol well at least I'd have been covered
TL;DR: That reddit post is bad. Needs real world experimentation, not hypothetical calculations.
Right, that's why I used the word "vacuum." The math is sound, it just doesn't necessarily translate into actual gameplay conditions

If I'm firing at a Hallowed Acolyte and do 10 headshots with focused fire, it will be substantially more total damage than 5 body shots and 5 headshots without; since Focused Fire makes it easier for me to get those headshots, claims that it "reduces damage output" are not compelling to me.

You have proof? Tell me about that.

I have seen Exotics on the rewards screen but they're the same you see announced in the lower left. If someone gets an Exotic from Crota and you leave to Orbit before the countdown, press the touchpad. It'll show you the stats and rewards screen, and the Exotic will be there. No more and no less.

My proof was that one week we all stayed till we got kicked to orbit, and I got a Suros.

This week we went to orbit manually, and no one got anything extra. I just wanted to know why.

Why did I get an extra exotic. I don't understand.

Lima

Vex from VOG again.

Does anyone know?

You only get the exotics from Crota once you leave to Orbit. It doesn't matter if you leave early or wait til it kicks you.

PuMa

My proof was that one week we all stayed till we got kicked to orbit, and I got a Suros.

This week we went to orbit manually, and no one got anything extra. I just wanted to know why.

You probably just didnt see the message at the bottom of the screen.

You were going to get a Suros anyway.

I completed a raid this week got my rewards but only when I went back to orbit myself did I realize I also got an Icebreaker. Also happened on HM launch week when I got 4th Horseman after leaving. There's no truth to getting anything if you stay after completing a raid. Your rewards are determined the second the bosses are killed.

Xur should sell Dead Orbit shaders. I'll buy those with coins.

I don't understand why you can't buy faction shaders after reaching a certain level with them i.e. 3.

Yea if we can change the name, just more random ones

Destiny |OT17| Barely Hangin' From Scrota's End
Destiny |OT17| Guardian Down
Destiny |OT17| Twerkin As Intended (too close to OT10, just a joke about rNilla's funny thrall gif)
Destiny |OT17| My Vault is Still Full
Destiny |OT17| Unload Primary Weapon + Ice Breaker = Profit
Destiny |OT17| Enrage happens at the 1 yard line
Destiny |OT17| Crota = The Real Left Shark

Destiny |OT17| Become Bored
Destiny |OT17| Become Boredom
Destiny |OT17| Xur is Random

I like "My Vault is Still Full"

noomi

My Xur wishlist:

MIDA Multi-tool
Red Death (or just the upgrade)
Mask of the Third Man
Heart of Praxic Fire

Heavy Ammo Synth

This is exactly what I want as well :) Need red death upgrade and would be very happy about mida as well. Also... yeah everyone wants/needs that heavy ammo synth.

Xur should sell Dead Orbit shaders. I'll buy those with coins.

That would be fantastic, so far I've received 3 hanged man shaders. Still after bittersteel and revenant. Would gladly pour coins into Xur's pocket for those.

ocean

Banned

Oh, that's not proof though. That's a single example. You'd have gotten that SUROS regardless of whether you stayed there or not. Or, if you wanna look at it this way, staying would not have given anyone an extra Exotic. It's random. Some runs nobody gets any; others, 1-2 people get loot.

Again, you can access that rewards screen from Orbit by pressing the touchpad once your team is in Orbit (before going to the Tower or any other destination of course). Exotics, if any, that you got will show up there.

Yeah, no. This happens all the time. Just about every Crota run I do, someone will get an exotic, it will show in the bottom left of screen after Crota dies, but it wont pop up on your screen until you go to orbit. It doesn't matter how or when you go to orbit.

Top Bottom