• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT17| 17th inning stretch

Right, that's why I used the word "vacuum." The math is sound, it just doesn't necessarily translate into actual gameplay conditions

I feel very strongly about the misuse of math and statistics through "idealization." Obviously this is "just a game" but bad stats are fucking rampant in the scientific community and it literally kills people. It's comforting to think of the world in clearly defined, absolute terms like (X*Y/Z) but in reality everything is an ugly ass scatterplot of noisy garbage that only develops meaning when a large enough sample size molds it into some semblance of a probability distribution function. /stats rant

My proof was that one week we all stayed till we got kicked to orbit, and I got a Suros.

This week we went to orbit manually, and no one got anything extra. I just wanted to know why.

Why did I get an extra exotic. I don't understand.

Crota exotic roll is broken. It is the only roll that doesn't display a graphic at top right on the kill. You will see it in the loot drop scroll on bottom left however and it hits your inventory when you go to orbit.

You were going to get a Suros anyway.

I completed a raid this week got my rewards but only when I went back to orbit myself did I realize I also got an Icebreaker. Also happened on HM launch week when I got 4th Horseman after leaving. There's no truth to getting anything if you stay after completing a raid. Your rewards are determined the second the bosses are killed.

I don't understand why you can't buy faction shaders after reaching a certain level with them i.e. 3.

Ok thank you.

I feel very strongly about the misuse of math and statistics through "idealization." Obviously this is "just a game" but bad stats are fucking rampant in the scientific community and it literally kills people. It's comforting to think of the world in clearly defined, absolute terms like (X*Y/Z) but in reality everything is an ugly ass scatterplot of noisy garbage that only develops meaning when a large enough sample size molds it into some semblance of a probability distribution function. /stats rant
Science influenced post :p

Did you save the video? If so then go back and closely watch the rewards pop up on the bottom left as soon as Scrota dies. If you didn't get a Suros there but it did pop up later in orbit then that would be very interesting. But like other people are saying, it might just have been because it didn't pop up until you went to orbit and the week you manually left just meant you didn't get an exotic drop that week.

Science influenced post :p

haha indeed. Fight the good fight Rawr. ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

But what if I am the idealized scenario. I want the math to validate me.

E92 M3

noomi

Is there an easy way to see total time played accross all of my 3 characters withint that destinydb site? I can't seem to figure it out lol, also would love to know how many strikes total i ran across all 3 as well.....

Did you save the video? If so then go back and closely watch the rewards pop up on the bottom left as soon as Scrota dies. If you didn't get a Suros there but it did pop up later in orbit then that would be very interesting. But like other people are saying, it might just have been because it didn't pop up until you went to orbit and the week you manually left just meant you didn't get an exotic drop that week.

haha indeed. Fight the good fight Rawr. ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

It did not come up after we beat Crota, I got the word and some shards I equipped Word, and was messing around with it till we got booted to orbit. Once booted to orbit, I got the Suros.

That is how it went down. I would have noticed a Suros when I wen to equip the Crotas word or what ever the hand gun is called.

Lnkn52

Is there an easy way to see total time played accross all of my 3 characters withint that destinydb site? I can't seem to figure it out lol, also would love to know how many strikes total i ran across all 3 as well.....

The overview tab might be what you are looking for…

As mentioned earlier, his accounts are split. Among that, I do wonder what his everyday responsibilities are like. He is not super active on the forums. If I were a community manager, would probably at least make a few posts everyday.

He has a peculiar job. He probably reads more than we think but his hands are usually tied when it comes to giving answers. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if many of us here were more active in both the game and on the message boards than he.

Have you laughed out loud using any other weapon in the game? Because I haven't.

Just wait for the Crux to drop. DBreath gives me a chuckle as well. It's like a rocket.. grenade launcher.... o_O

Destiny |OT17| Become Bored
Destiny |OT17| Become Boredom"

I like some version of this. Become Bored-Again? We were bored before TDB dropped and now again? Sounds like Guardian? I dunno.

But what if I am the idealized scenario. I want the math to validate me.

Based on times we've played together... you are perfect. Never missed a shot. Hand on the Bible!
*fingers crossed*

Frostburn

My proof was that one week we all stayed till we got kicked to orbit, and I got a Suros.

This week we went to orbit manually, and no one got anything extra. I just wanted to know why.

This is a drop you got earlier but didn't see it or your weapons were full. Only time I've seen "rewards" on the end mission/raid screen in CE is when someone already got a roll but it didn't go into their inventory properly or they had no space and it will be waiting at the tower post master. I was in a raid with Hawk and we waited, it showed me getting a HawkMoon because my inventory was full even though I "won" it when we killed Crota.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
haha hey no argument on this, you're speaking my language here.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This is a drop you got earlier but didn't see it or your weapons were full. Only time I've seen "rewards" on the end mission/raid screen in CE is when someone already got a roll but it didn't go into their inventory properly or they had no space and it will be waiting at the tower post master. I was in a raid with Hawk and we waited, it showed me getting a HawkMoon because my inventory was full even though I "won" it when we killed Crota.

i think it even played a sad trombone noise for the rest of us
B8LEpNICAAAh599.jpg:large

E92 M3

He has a peculiar job. He probably reads more than we think but his hands are usually tied when it comes to giving answers. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if many of us here were more active in both the game and on the message boards than he.

I am sure he reads a lot and compiles reports, but I would love to see him post just to post. Doesn't have to be about future details. Could be about just interacting with the community and demolishing the wall between developers and their community.

Langy

Just starting up the nightfall if anyones interested in coming along?

2 slots available, add Langoit on PSN and join in.

ocean

Banned
Total time is easily seen on destinystatus.com though it'll make you feel bad once you see how much we play this game :p

As an economist I have to agree 100% here. Stats are just far too easy to misinterpret or misrepresent, whether due to ignorance, lack of rigor or intellectual dishonesty. That Reddit model was missing at the very least a weighting variable to account for average headshots/bodyshots or misses with and without ADS to provide a somewhat meaningful DPS stat. That'd depend on enemy type and range too, but even a vague average would reveal the benefits of Focused Fire on Suros and the Defiant.

haha hey no argument on this, you're speaking my language here.

lol yeah, stats rant definitely not directed at you or anyone in particular, I've known you are like-minded in that regard for a while from reading your posts.

Also: doesn't matter if it's Crucible or Crota raid, "last place" always gets the exotic.

As an economist I have to agree 100% here. at the very least a weighting variable.

Thank you good sir! Most definitely with the bolded. Preach it DGAF!

Homeboyd

Why would you claim that....? This test on reddit doesn't say anything of the sort. If there is another that indicates that, I will stand corrected.
Yeah I meant damage per second, not shot.

Apparently the FF ROF drops it significantly (moreso than Suros -- other calculations put it at 66% reduction, not sure what Suros is with this perk activated) which means lower damage per second. Depending on your target, yes if you hit every single bullet with a crit shot you're better off, but as you said, in a "real world situation" that isn't going to happen (then you have enemies like a minotaur with no crits available at all).

The buff in damage per shot isn't enough to make up for the significant drop in ROF/DPS unless you're very consistent with hitting crits with each of your AR shots. I guess the point is, if you're going for crits anyways why are you using an AR to begin with? You're much better off using a gun that's designed for it (scout, hand cannon, etc...) vs a bullet hose. To me, using AD for its intended purpose (AR's being 'good' at dps), using focused fire doesn't make sense due to the huge drop in ROF/DPS and only small increase in damage per shot.

Ryck

I am online and looking to do.

Crota Hard X2 ( I have the check point)

Templar Hard X3 ( I don't have the check point)

Anyone else interested in knocking that stuff out right now let me know

psn: Ryck007

If anyone wants the Crota CP on hard let me know as I also want to give it to one of my other characters.

joecanada

I think it's just level but I could be wrong.
I did just fine in the last couple IB as level 31. You barely do any less damage to 32s, the damage output numbers are a single digit difference in my experience. A Hawkmoon headshot doing 3 less damage isn't going to save them. 30 or 29 vs 32 might have more problems.

ya but even 5 points of damage is a big deal with precision...

IB handcannon - 95 damage headshot = 100 headshot at level 32? thats the question

moris

If anyone wants the Crota CP on hard let me know as I also want to give it to one of my other characters.

I'll join for hard crota (or fresh if you're willing to do that).

rNilla

Competed the Daily using nothing but NLB, Throwing Knives, and Tripmines. Step to this.

I may have died a few times...

I can't run one right now, but it's anyone planning on doing CE normal this evening? Seems like nobody is doing that anymore. I haven't been able to get in a group for that the last couple days here. I need materials and gear for my 31 and 30 alts.

Ryck

I'll join for hard crota (or fresh if you're willing to do that).
Cool, Ive done the whole raid with my 3 characters except for killing Crota with 2 of them. If we get it done early I can help you on a fresh raid. ( depends on the time)

For new page. I am in Crota CP if anyone wants it (public fire team)

lunlunqq

4th Horseman is exclusive :p

I want Heart of Praxic Fire since first Xur... I didn't bought G.horn to hold coins to buy Heart of Praxic Fire.

LOL. These GHorn and HoPF talks bring back memories... That was week 2 and I was a young lvl 20 warlock. I drooled over everything Xur sold in the first week but didn't have nearly enough coins and motes. In week 2, I finally accumulated 20 coins and 23 motes. When Xur came, I decided to use the coins on the Exotic weapon and the motes on one chest Exotic engram.

So that week, I obtained the GHorn as my first exotic weapon and the engram turned into the Heart of Praxic Fire as my first exotic armor piece.

555 hours :eek:

Jesus christ I've played this game for 548 hours.................................................................................

n0000000000bs!!! (edit: ^^^ and above me! n00bs everywhere!)

I can't run one right now, but it's anyone planning on doing CE normal this evening? Seems like nobody is doing that anymore.

Personally I think/hope normal CE will become more common and hard CE will drop off, as more people finish their collection of primaries, etc. Maybe I'm wrong but that's certainly where I'd like to go. Normal Scrota is so silly that it's fun. Rawr getting killed with the sword every time and still finishing off Scrota w/o wiping, ha.

I love AR's such as abyss defiant but they're just not good enough for high level PVE. The low precision damage bonus really hurts them. Against 33 Knights and Wizards they just don't do enough damage. I hope they fix this instead of constantly nerfing them

Yeah I meant damage per second, not shot.

Apparently the FF ROF drops it significantly (moreso than Suros -- other calculations put it at 66% reduction, not sure what Suros is with this perk activated) which means lower damage per second. Depending on your target, yes if you hit every single bullet with a crit shot you're better off, but as you said, in a "real world situation" that isn't going to happen (then you have enemies like a minotaur with no crits available at all).

The buff in damage per shot isn't enough to make up for the significant drop in ROF/DPS unless you're very consistent with hitting crits with each of your AR shots. I guess the point is, if you're going for crits anyways why are you using an AR to begin with? You're much better off using a gun that's designed for it (scout, hand cannon, etc...) vs a bullet hose. To me, using AD for its intended purpose (AR's being 'good' at dps), using focused fire doesn't make sense due to the huge drop in ROF/DPS and only small increase in damage per shot.

The lower ROF seems better for me cause I'm hitting more crit shots and also reloading less. I haven't looked at the dps calculations but it just feels better in PVE. 31 round clip is a bit low for the high RoF. Haven't used it in PVP yet

WipedOut

No you just hoard them all like me and only shard dupes. Most people shard exotics if they know they'll never use them. I always keep 1 of everything JUST IN CASE!

I've only sharded dupes and as far as exotics I won't use, the only thing I've gotten rid of is last word, universal remote and no land beyond.

You have proof? Tell me about that.

I have seen Exotics on the rewards screen but they're the same you see announced in the lower left. If someone gets an Exotic from Crota and you leave to Orbit before the countdown, press the touchpad. It'll show you the stats and rewards screen, and the Exotic will be there. No more and no less.

while I've never gotten an exotic, I have gotten extra engrams (blue) and 2 accendant energies that only appeared after I got sent to orbit by the game.

I have no proof but it happens to me all the time in ROC and to lesser extant Weekly and Nightly.

noomi

n0000000000bs!!! (edit: ^^^ and above me! n00bs everywhere!)

Lol! 555 hours with me playing every single day since the release of the game... holy shit.... there hasn't been one day where I haven't played destiny since release... even when I was away on a business trip and vacation I made sure to have my vita to do dailies and check xur... hahaha

Top Bottom