• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT17| 17th inning stretch

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
some very strangely tinted glasses are employed to suggest that the nerf to ARs wasn't a necessary and good change for balance in the Crucible. Good ARs still remain viable, even a Galahad-E can still clean up. They just aren't the obvious best choice anymore, which is how it should be. the problem is that there wasn't really anything wrong with how they functioned in PvE, and the crit reduction affected them disproportionately because of high HP majors/bosses that need to be fired upon continuously for a full clip or more before dying.

my Vanquisher really seems to function quite well though, so I'm not that clear on the full scope of the problem. I hated the low impact ARs before the nerf and they still suck now, so there's nothing really to that.

LiK

some very strangely tinted glasses are employed to suggest that the nerf to ARs wasn't a necessary and good change for balance in the Crucible. Good ARs still remain viable, even a Galahad-E can still clean up. They just aren't the obvious best choice anymore, which is how it should be. the problem is that there wasn't really anything wrong with how they functioned in PvE, and the crit reduction affected them disproportionately because of high HP majors/bosses that need to be fired upon continuously for a full clip or more before dying.

my Vanquisher really seems to function quite well though, so I'm not that clear on the full scope of the problem. I hated the low impact ARs before the nerf and they still suck now, so there's nothing really to that.

I just find that ARs are shit in 1v1 against Scouts and HCs now. You can still kill with them if you got some buddies with you but I've rarely been dominated by them in PVP these days especially in 1v1 encounters. Most ARs kill me after I've been damaged by another player before I killed them. I would put ARs in the same league as Pulse Rifles in PVP now. :p

mcfizzle4

I used an AR only for the AR bounty but yeah I guess people still use them. When was the last time you saw someone use an AR in PVE though? They're as common as pulse rifles at this point and that's just sad

One of my clan mates refuses to use anything else. He says he hates pulling the trigger more than once. He only liked VoC because of the auto fire.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I think most people use Suros and other ARs in IB just because of the AR bounties.

I forgot there was that bounty. Good point. And I did move to my hawkmoon once that bounty was complete, most of the time. Still, Suros is good. I'm happy with a hand cannon world, though, because they are my favorite type of gun.

The problem is that an entire class of weapons were nerfed in PVE when it wasn't necessary. My vanquisher works fine if im doing ROC strikes but it's just not as effective as a scout rifle or hand cannon for higher level content.

In regards to PVP, I have no problems with the AR nerf. I just hope they don't nerf hand cannons across both PVP and PVE just because they think hand cannons are too good in the crucible.

LiK

I forgot there was that bounty. Good point. And I did move to my hawkmoon once that bounty was complete, most of the time. Still, Suros is good. I'm happy with a hand cannon world, though, because they are my favorite type of gun.

yea, I was an AR lover and defender but after the second nerf, I no longer use them for PVP anymore. PVE is fine but PVP is just too much of a risk for me. I'd rather stick with the Vex.

This is a drop you got earlier but didn't see it or your weapons were full. Only time I've seen "rewards" on the end mission/raid screen in CE is when someone already got a roll but it didn't go into their inventory properly or they had no space and it will be waiting at the tower post master. I was in a raid with Hawk and we waited, it showed me getting a HawkMoon because my inventory was full even though I "won" it when we killed Crota.

Ok,. this makes sense.

I agree that ARs are fine now in PvP and was a very worthwhile balance, but I don't think there's an argument for them being better or even similar to comparable SR and HC options in PvE. Of course they can still function well and you can beat any PvE content with an AR primary, but only at the cost of a less min/maxed load out. Only exceptions are unique perks like AD disorientation or Suros health regen.

I have a nice 331 Vanquisher but it's not replacing Fang, Another NITC, Rapier, Word, etc. in PvE unless they re-buff the class. There's no hope for real balance unless they figure out a way to decouple PvE and PvP. The range nerfs to shotties and ARs is really damaging, you just don't want to get close to PvE enemies very often.

spyder_ur

as anyone got a Gjally form Roc? Ever?

I also got a (second) Horn from a Roc (well then Tiger) strike. As well as my first exotic (Hard Light), first Suros (I remember this one because it was on sale at Xur that weekend and I was 4 coins shy then got it the following Monday)...heck last night I was messing around and got a Plan C.

noomi

So my wife just casually brought up that I've been talking about destiny in my sleep..... like I'll half wake up in a zombie state and just start blurting random shit out. She said I was talking about orbs and strikes the other night....

what the fuck is wrong with me.

I also got a (second) Horn from a Roc (well then Tiger) strike. As well as my first exotic (Hard Light), first Suros (I remember this one because it was on sale at Xur that weekend and I was 4 coins shy then got it the following Monday)...heck last night I was messing around and got a Plan C.

This just makes me want to cry. I have poured 600+ hours into this, and I keep getting the same shit over and over again.

LiK

So my wife just casually brought up that I've been talking about destiny in my sleep..... like I'll half wake up in a zombie state and just start blurting random shit out. She said I was talking about orbs and strikes the other night....

I had dreams during the peak of my Destiny addiction. it was mainly about getting a Dead Orbit shader finally. so sad.

Lima

Ah it's okay. Today I thought about punching my boss to turn invisible so I could safely make an escape.

PuMa

I never get anything from those strikes. I'm crazy lucky if I get a purple.

Get a raid group here, mate!

It's not impossible at all, but getting an Xbox raid group together on your own personal schedule here is exponentially harder than it is for you guys who don't even bother to state which console you're on when asking to group up :p

EDIT: I got my Ghorn from the first Crota chest before they moved the exotic drop to Ir Yut. I almost feel guilty lol.

noomi

I had dreams during the peak of my Destiny addiction. it was mainly about getting a Dead Orbit shader finally. so sad.

Ah it's okay. Today I thought about punching my boss to turn invisible so I could safely make an escape.

oh my god.....

CY7erIj.jpg

vZp0Mn6.jpg

I was probably talking trash about the game not giving me the hawkmoon :/

I finally got an exotic from PvP yesterday, a suros/shard but one nonetheless! Have never gotten anything from Roc except a couple purple engrams

E92 M3

I've had a dream about Destiny lol. This game is very consuming.

patchday

I still saw plenty of Suros in IB (and used it myself quite a bit).

Well that's because the IB bounty forced some of us (the one that says you need like 20 headshots with an AR).

If it wasn't for that bounty I would be using a hand cannon or scout rifle as my primary

commish

Well that's because the IB bounty forced some of us (the one that says you need like 20 headshots with an AR).

If it wasn't for that bounty I would be using a hand cannon or scout rifle as my primary

Interesting that you say scout rifle, because I don't think I was killed by a single scout rifle on my way to rank 5. I didn't think anyone used them. Which scout do people use? And why a scout over a HC?

Or can someone list all ways?

Each of the following has a distinct chance to drop an exotic weapon. There is still some debate/uncertainty about whether or not you get double exotic chances by doing the raids on normal first and then hard. The exact percentage chance probably varies between them but these are your best bets each week on each character:

1.) VoG Gorgon chest
2.) VoG Atheon
3.) CE Death Singer
4.) CE Scrota
5.) Nightfall (also exotic armor)

After that, your only options are:

-Roc Strike
-Crucible match
-Legendary engram drops and decodes into exotic (
only works for nami
)
-Buy from Xur

Each of these (besides Xur) has a very low chance of landing an exotic, but it does happen. Let me know if I forgot anything.

Lima

We already had the conversation about Ice Breaker last OT. There are so much better snipers out there now with way higher impact that Ice Breaker is not that useful anymore. Green ammo is never an issue and I would take my Speer over Ice Breaker any day of the week.

commish

Each of the following has a distinct chance to drop an exotic weapon. There is still some debate/uncertainty about whether or not you get double exotic chances by doing the raids on normal first and then hard. The exact percentage chance probably varies between them but these are your best bets each week on each character:

1.) VoG Gorgon chest
2.) VoG Atheon
3.) CE Death Singer
4.) CE Scrota
5.) Nightfall (also exotic armor)

After that, your only options are:

-Roc Strike
-Crucible match
-Legendary engram drops and decodes into exotic (
only works for nami
)
-Buy from Xur

Each of these (besides Xur) has a very low chance of landing an exotic, but it does happen. Let me know if I forgot anything.

You can definitely get double the chances by doing it normal mode and hard mode, at least when it comes to atheon and crota. Not DS.

LTWood12

This just makes me want to cry. I have poured 600+ hours into this, and I keep getting the same shit over and over again.

Since December 9th I've gotten three.

First was a legendary engram that dropped from a random enemy on one of TDB's story missions.

Second came a few days later from the first chest in Crota's end. That exotic roll has now been moved to Ir Yut the Deathsinger.

Third came this past Tuesday from a Nightfall strike.

2/3 of these involved some odd coincidences that really make me wonder about the RNG. I got the second Gjallarhorn while playing w/ T-44 (who I play with all of the time). From that same chest, he got a Monte Carlo. That same night, we played a Nightfall together. I got a Monte Carlo, and he got a Gjallarhorn (his first).

Fast-forward to Tuesday, he and I play the Nightfall together. I get Gjallarhorn. Yesterday we play another Nightfall. HE gets Gjallarhorn.

Other biggest instance of this is us BOTH getting Praetorian Foil & Fatebringer from one of the first VoG Hard runs we ever did together. I hardly ever see either of those drop to this day.

edit: Also forgot to mention. Sunday Night I did a Nightfall and got Thunderlord. Last night when T-44 got Gjallarhorn, Coy (the other guy with us) got Thunderlord. Seems like I see this sort of thing happen a lot. It's almost as if certain drops can be contagious.

I would have agreed with you before Black Hammer was a thing. But it is now so there's much less need to use IB.

I'll take my BHam, LDR and Eff Spear (Iron Banner sniper) over IcyB in the large majority of PvE. BH = solar, LDR = arc, Spear = void.

My spear has armor piercing, unflinching and final round. So good for shooting that dumb Sword Bearer in his dumb face through the rock (same as Shrek through the barrier). Huge damage.

Interesting that you say scout rifle, because I don't think I was killed by a single scout rifle on my way to rank 5. I didn't think anyone used them. Which scout do people use? And why a scout over a HC?

HCs are definitely the go-to, but for really long range maps I can dig a little SR. Lots of them work fine. VoC, Rapier, NITC, Badger, etc.

You can definitely get double the chances by doing it normal mode and hard mode, at least when it comes to atheon and crota. Not DS.

You've gotten an exotic weapon on the same character in the same week? Vex and Crux are separate loot rolls from the exotic loot roll so I know you can get those to double up. Unknown said he got like NLB + DB on normal then hard Scrota. So maybe just the "chests" aka Gorgons and DSinger are 1 chance only? Hmmm.... good to know.

Namikaze1

Ice Breaker is not that useful for me anymore. It was before but there are now better options to choose from. The snipers I use (LDR and Spear) have better impact and less recoil than IB. And my recent experience with IB made me realize how much I like those sniper compare to it. After having it in the bank for so long and not using it, I forgot how much I hate its recoil.

patchday

I personally used a scout such as Vision of Confluence since at the time, I didn't have a Scout at 331. I like having ranged weapons on that Mars map (Blind Watch) once we took points B & C. But I personally packed a sniper & scout. I stopped at Rank 4 though and only did it on one character.

Yeah I am thinking next time around I'll be going with a hand canon

Lnkn52

Was watching last night Bungie stream and in the last ten minutes, they really tried to get Deej to comment about the leaks, lol. That wasn't going to happen, that questions was swiftly skipped.

Namikaze1

Well, my Infusion Hunter raid helm is maxed out. Dismantled my old raid helm the minute I maxed out the Infusion one. Now all three of my guardians can regain health. Warlock and Hunter have a helm with infusion while my Titan has her bubble.

Frostburn

If anyone is doing VoG HM or Atheon let me know, I need some more shots at Ghorn and haven't done anything in VOG this week yet.

WipedOut

We already had the conversation about Ice Breaker last OT. There are so much better snipers out there now with way higher impact that Ice Breaker is not that useful anymore. Green ammo is never an issue and I would take my Speer over Ice Breaker any day of the week.

Yeah I think we talked about this a little last night. Even the LDR is arguably better than IB.

Top Bottom