• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT17| 17th inning stretch

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
reduced special ammo on initial spawn is a good idea

will have to see how my beloved hand cannons are affected

noomi

Oh god they're going to fuck with handcannons now?! CMON!

Isn't the hawkmoon supposed to be great at long ranges? I guess now I'll never fucking know....

What does this quote mean, less damage up close?

Damage falloff starts closer to the shooter, and follow up shots are less accurate at long ranges

realcZk

I guess I'm confused as to why they need to nerf handcannons at all, they were only the third most used weapon after auto rifles/scout rifles. Oh well, it doesn't seem like that big of a nerf.

Huge buffs to pulse rifles and shotguns in PvE have me excited though.

Regarding the AR nerfs: I could really care less. I don't feel like there's any reason to use an AR in end-game PvE other than the SUROS at this point and the only time I'd consider it is during HM Crota.

PuMa

Has anyone actually kept some Pulse Rifles in their vault? I've got an unupgraded Three Little Words I might check out now.

This is the kind of language I can get behind:

I don't get why that couldn't be done with the AR nerf against guardians, instead of just trashing the base value overall.

Why even offer ARs at this rate for Raids, especially when shit like the Necrochasm is at the state it is in at the start? Aside from Abyss Defiant, I haven't used ARs since VoG in PvP or PvE.

Glad to see Pulse and Shotguns getting some PvE love.

E92 M3

Only beginners use ARs in PVE - that's why their statistics are so skewed. That said, I have no idea why they are nerfing weapons for PVE. Why are they even touching hand cannons? Is it because of the Fatebringer? Hand cannons and scout rifles where the best primaries, now scouts got a little better.

These changes seem to be PVP inspired...

Jinjo

That artificial PvE difficulty increase again. Yes. Give me more sponge in PvE Bungie. Please.

AR's are just a popular weapon class for all the dudebros out there, stop overanalysing thinking it needs a nerf "because it gets used too often dur". High fire rate AR's are even more shit soon.

i think I'm ok with the hc nerf

they really shouldn't be as effective as scout rifles at long range

as much as i love the hawk moon it can be a little ridiculous in pvp 2 shoting someone across the map

I don't get why that couldn't be done with the AR nerf against guardians, instead of just trashing the base value overall.

Why even offer ARs at this rate for Raids, especially when shit like the Necrochasm is at the state it is in at the start?

Even the AD is weak relative to the scout rifle and hand cannon. Wtf are they doing? We were just discussing how AR nerfs were really hurting them in PVE. And people use them a lot cause they're AR's. That's always the most appealing weapon.

i think that happened to unknown last week

haha yeah he posted about that a little bit ago, good to know. Might have to snag a normal Gorgons CP before reset just to test it as much as possible next week.

Weapon change log:

Thanks Jinjo for making a more informative post in 2 minutes than that Weekly Update. Truly a most-DeeJ like of updates. It's like he's actively trying to not improve. What does this entire paragraph even say:

We’re keeping all other details under wraps for now. There is a special team here that's dedicated to creating some new ways for you to play Destiny. They’re also making the game you know a better reflection of what we’ve learned about you since you’ve started playing. While they do their thing, we'll walk the fine line between making you a part of the process and providing them with a safe place to explore possibilities and do their best work.

Is there a secret "most words written without saying anything" world record we don't know about?

rNilla

Why even offer ARs at this rate for Raids, especially when shit like the Necrochasm is at the state it is in at the start? Aside from Abyss Defiant, I haven't used ARs since VoG in PvP or PvE.

Glad to see Pulse and Shotguns getting some PvE love.

Yeah I'd like to see more "against all non-Guardian combatants (aliens)" changes. This sounds like I will definitely continue to avoid using ARs ever.

Only beginners use ARs in PVE - that's why their statistics are so skewed. That said, I have no idea why they are nerfing weapons for PVE. Why are they even touching hand cannons? Is it because of the Fatebringer? Hand cannons and scout rifles where the best primaries, now scouts got a little better.

These changes seem to be PVP inspired...

The Last Word/Thorn/Hawkmoon in PvP, and the dialogue indicates that yes it's PvP based.

Which again, make changes separate like they are doing with Shotguns.

It seems fucking stupid to use the amount of kills with weapon type to justify the AR nerf. Most players love ARs in all games, COD, BF, Destiny, etc. It is also the very first type of gun you get in the game, so of course people are going to like holding down the trigger and mowing shit down. Where is this evidence in PvE that ARs or hand cannons are just tearing through shit too easily? All of the TDB high fire rate low impact ARs are fucking worthless. You have to drope entire mags into trash mobs. Oh my, I just realized, this update is somehow going to manage to make Necrochasm even worse. hahahah..

What the fuck bungie?

Sh0k

If anyone is doing VoG HM or Atheon let me know, I need some more shots at Ghorn and haven't done anything in VOG this week yet.

I need two Atheon Hard mode kills to see if the Vex finally drops for me. I have a Gatekeepers checkpoint. Let's see if we can get an evening group, maybe around 8:30pm EST. Let me know if that hour works for you. PSN Shokleeto

Frostburn

Hmm the only auto rifles I feel are effective are Suros and Abyss Defiant now with a further nerf I doubt I'll ever opt to use them. They just flat out aren't as good as Hand Cannons and Scout Rifles right now. At least in HM Crota's End it takes FOREVER to kill something with an Auto Rifle I feel like I'm just tickling the Hive. I guess we'll see how this balances weapon use in PVE... I really hope they don't mess with my Hand Cannons too much. The news on HoW not coming until Q2 means I can try to play some other games until then as unless they release some interesting PVE content out of the blue I have no reason to continue playing with only a few things still needed (Ghorn, Crux and Word of Crota), I have all 3 classes at 32 now and mostly geared the way I want. I've put a good amount of time into the game so far (somewhere around 475 hours or so) so I'm satisfied to an extent but I still wish there was something new to do, the game has some really good content but too much of it right now is repeating the SAME thing over and over with little to no variety besides random bugs trying to down Crota in HM...

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
i just got to level 27 and it seems now that nightfall strikes are available. can anyone explain what the difference is from the standard weekly? i see there modifiers but not quite sure what they mean and also it says the rewards are unknown. what have you had as rewards? do you get vanguard marks/reputation or engrams?

i might jump on and see if i can get into one to try it out.

LiK

ARs are good weapons to just sit back and play. It's when you don't feel like constantly shooting every fucking shot in things like Strikes and Patrols. I like to let my fingers rest sometimes. I don't understand why they're nerfing it again. Now it's gonna be even more useless.

WipedOut

I moved on from AR's after last nerf, I learned that HC's and Scouts are the way to go along time ago.

That being said, what the hell is this going to do to the Suros, when I do what a change up this is my go to.

Frostburn

I need two Atheon Hard mode kills to see if the Vex finally drops for me. I have a Gatekeepers checkpoint. Let's see if we can get an evening group, maybe around 8:30pm EST. Let me know if that hour works for you. PSN Shokleeto

Hmm my wife gets home around then tonight from work so I'm not sure I'll be playing that late :(

their nerfing of AR's seems based on the suros which is kind of the only good ar in the game

not really but kind of

still don't have one :(

joecanada

Man so much nerfing...hand cannons are fun weapons. LOL at more AR nerfs - that shit is ridiculous.

What a bunch of idiots. There's always going to be "op" weapons no matter what because everything you nerf is replaced by what you didn't . So you boost pulse rifles 10 %? Find I'll use bad Juju and mida... I actually save all my guns for one reason....
Don't Trust Bungie

I agree with the shotgun buff in PvE

New build. Voidwalker, bad Juju, gauntlet of amahakara, punch everyone in close, ignoring all those nerfed weapons lol. Bring red hand out of retirement with huge range boost.

Feel sorry for those who Shard weapons I have about one of everything

rNilla

Doesn't having AR only bounties every day during Iron Banner also kind of skew and influence the stats?

EDIT: I see they mention this, thanks for pointing it out. I'm trying to knee-jerk react guys but I have to read it first. :)

Even the AD is weak relative to the scout rifle and hand cannon. Wtf are they doing? We were just discussing how AR nerfs were really hurting them in PVE. And people use them a lot cause they're AR's. That's always the most appealing weapon.

The only reason AD gets love is that it reks Hive Wizards and that it behaves similar to Suros in ability to land shots with ok-ish impact. But still sad that 300 dmg hand cannon from vanilla content can perform better. Looking at the Hard Raid weapons, I don't see them preparing us for HoW's content like VoG weapons.

Exception perhaps being the arc scout rifle.

Doesn't having AR only bounties every day during Iron Banner also kind of skew and influence the stats?
You speak as if Bungie has control over vendors. They told us they can't!

Resseh

ARs are good weapons to just sit back and play. It's when you don't feel like constantly shooting every fucking shot in things like Strikes and Patrols. I like to let my fingers rest sometimes. I don't understand why they're nerfing it again. Now it's gonna be even more useless.
I suffer from tendonitis - Hand cannons etc cause me too much pain but the AR and VoC are fine. Even if they keep nerfing ARs, I'll still have to use them :(

patchday

Details on weapon tuning/changes coming this month is Update 1.1.1.

https://www.bungie.net/7_Destiny-Weapon-Tuning/en/News/News?aid=12557

Yeah ARs need to a serious nerf across the board. Pulse rifles need buffing. Hand cannon range nerf I can live with

I mostly love Scout rifles and hand cannons.

Fusion rifles can get nerfed into the ground. They reign supreme in Rumble. With a L10 I was winning Rumbles with a Fusion rifle last time I tested (pre-Crota expansion but that shouldnt make any diff)

* PVP balance will still suck tho due to Supers. Need new gamemode like we had in Halo that does not allow supers. Halo had that great level of polish and tuning that PvP demands

There is a special team here that's dedicated to creating some new ways for you to play Destiny.

15 new currencies confirmed. Glimmer is now a resource you have to mine for. You punch down trees until you can make pick axes then you dig into the ground until you find Glimmer ore. Glimmer ore must be refined and Xurgie, Xur's half sister. She appears once a month for 23 seconds and is the only way to refine Glimmer ore into Glimmer. Glimmer ore capped at 3.5 per week. 1 Glimmer ore refines into 1,000 glimmer. Enjoy the new way of playing.

The only Pulse rifle I have is the raid one. I want to use it now to get some damage stats on it then use it post-patch and compare. Too bad I sharded my last 3 coiled hisses haha

E92 M3

The Last Word/Thorn/Hawkmoon in PvP, and the dialogue indicates that yes it's PvP based.

Which again, make changes separate like they are doing with Shotguns.

Damn PVP always making it worse for the actual people that bring life to the game.

That artificial PvE difficulty increase again. Yes. Give me more sponge in PvE Bungie. Please.

AR's are just a popular weapon class for all the dudebros out there, stop overanalysing thinking it needs a nerf "because it gets used too often dur". High fire rate AR's are even more shit soon.

Exactly - their statistics are inflated by people being naturally drawn to full auto.

i think I'm ok with the hc nerf

they really shouldn't be as effective as scout rifles at long range

as much as i love the hawk moon it can be a little ridiculous in pvp 2 shoting someone across the map

Like I said, PVP business should stick in PVP. That's the only way.

EL CUCO

They mentioned that.

Tbh, Suros has ridiculous range...almost Scout Rifle like range, but I don't see why they have to nerf the entire weapon class over one weapon. Unless they are looking forward to HoW weapons and are getting this out of the way now.

joecanada

It's not that much unfortunately. The damage difference was 1. You did one more damage with Vex, Suros whatever you name it being a 31 and playing against 32's. IB is still such horse shit because there is almost no difference to regular crucible other then when the odd 25 or even lower join in. Then it's fun for like a game or two to just slaughter them.

Ya I figured as much... It's like when I was super excited to find an AR with glass half full perk lol... Protip - Wow if this happens to you don't get too excited lol

i just got to level 27 and it seems now that nightfall strikes are available. can anyone explain what the difference is from the standard weekly? i see there modifiers but not quite sure what they mean and also it says the rewards are unknown. what have you had as rewards? do you get vanguard marks/reputation or engrams?

i might jump on and see if i can get into one to try it out.

Nightfalls drop a ton of good stuff - at least a purple material, usually a purple engram or weapon, sometimes exotics. My first nightfall I got a The Last Word. Plus it gives you an exp and reputation boost (double?). Fr the week. Much harder than normal weekly strikes though.

Kaiken

Banned
As a Hand Cannon man I have to agree with some of the ridiculous range at times. I can get behind all of these nerfs. ARs are still too powerful in every PVP match I've played. Soon as I'm tagged (from range) I have no time to respond.

Ya I figured as much... It's like when I was super excited to find an AR with glass half full perk lol... Protip - Wow if this happens to you don't get too excited lol

yeah i found this out recently

was excited to get that with my vanquisher considering its low clip size

Great update!

I'll echo the concern over the AR nerf. I think they could have largely left them untouched with those changes to the other weapons. I think the numbers are skewed by the fact that that style of weapon is the most comfortable to most people playing an FPS whether they're actually better or not.

Top Bottom