• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT17| 17th inning stretch

realcZk

Overall the weapon tuning has great changes. Big points that have needed to be addressed since the games launch are finally getting attention.

The AR nerf is barely anything, you're not gonna really notice a mere 2.5% less damage per shot. If you're just in the mood to "sit back and play", you're probably not caring about damage output anyhow. If it does bother you, liquor is always there to help you through these hard times. Cerberus Vae III sober is not something anyone should have to do, guys.

EDIT: forgot to mention that they did say the AR nerf is averaged across Rate of Fire stats, higher RoF took less of a reduction than low RoF.

Dwalls

Neo Member
How? Why? When? What? LOL. Bungie keeps swinging for the fences in terms of making their game more annoying and less fun to play. It's like they're sitting there thinking of ways to not make you want to play. Nerf all of your favourite weapons, Introduce a frustrating bullet sink hard mode, Make Xur essential to everything and nothing and then have him bring stuff that makes me not even want to log on in terms of worthlessness, introduce several layers of grind, make ridiculously low caps, remove your loot cave because they don't want you shooting into it, but then make people sit around 30 minutes infront of a cave waiting on a timed event etc. They're clueless honestly, and Deej is annoyingly terrible with his 3000 words updates that can be summarized in a sentence. When this game launched I thought they had a great platform to make iterative updates too to keep it fresh, instead every update just makes it feel more like a stale, moldy, fungus ridden bullshit sandwich. How can you develop this kind of game and have a several month turnaround time on tweaking some goddamn weapon damage numbers?

Jinjo

Thanks Jinjo for making a more informative post in 2 minutes than that Weekly Update. Truly a most-DeeJ like of updates. It's like he's actively trying to not improve. What does this entire paragraph even say:

No problem man. I was struggling myself getting through the update. Thought I'd get to the real deal of the post for the GAFfers here.

Most changes are not too bad I guess. The HC one kinda sucks, but the AR one is definitely most worrying. Again another kneejerk AR nerf because of PvP. The guns are already really lackluster in PvE despite what the stats say. They should definitely split AR stats between PvE and PvP.

I think this shows the major flaws in their methods. They look at the overall sentiments (whining) and the overall data, and tend to then make broad changes rather than dealing with individual elements and details.

That isn't to say the times they do mess with individual weapons that they get it right (Red Death, Vex Mythoclast), but coupled at treating PvP and PvE the same in general is just throwing off the weapon adoption in the wrong ways.

Unfortunately from what I can tell from the Shotgun PvE buff and from what I recall with the Vex, it doesn't seem like the game is designed to make changes according to modes (despite weapons/armor having base values in Crucible). So aside from changing damage output between targets (Guardians vs non-Guardians), anything they do will reflect across both areas. I'm not sure I 100% believe that given again how they designed Crucible, but regardless it's a major pitfall.

rNilla

I know it sucks that Hand Cannons are being changed at all but you probably shouldn't be able to snipe with them anyway right? They aren't touching pure damage, just range. That's what rifles are for.

noomi

No mention of fixing black hammer and word of crota perks, nor anything about the necrochasm....

I would really hope if they are working on weapon buffs/nerfs those would be included in the update....

EL CUCO

Red death will be the new Suros, confirmed.

until the nerf it again

One thing Bungie has taught me, dont ever get too comfortable with a single weapon or weapon type...they will eventually get "rebalanced". Especially the popular ones.

cilonen

i just got to level 27 and it seems now that nightfall strikes are available. can anyone explain what the difference is from the standard weekly? i see there modifiers but not quite sure what they mean and also it says the rewards are unknown. what have you had as rewards? do you get vanguard marks/reputation or engrams?

i might jump on and see if i can get into one to try it out.

Nightfalls drop a ton of good stuff - at least a purple material, usually a purple engram or weapon, sometimes exotics. My first nightfall I got a The Last Word. Plus it gives you an exp and reputation boost (double?). Fr the week. Much harder than normal weekly strikes though.

Yep, exactly this. They also have the "Nightfall" modifier which is a wipe to orbit if the whole party goes down and you have to start the whole thing over.

Edit: In tems of modifiers: Lightswitch is melee hits much harder against you, basically a one or two hit kill at full life depending on your level. The crown ones are heroic or epic - increasing aggressiveness of enemies; the shield is Unflinching I think, which is enemies don't cower after damage and the burns are multiplied elemental damage - this works in both directions, you will dish out way more damage with a weapon of that elemental type, but so will the enemies.

I've just run it and I don't even remember this week's list apart from it's all burn types, so avoid getting hit! I think it's epic enemies and obviously nightfall too; that's always present.

i just got to level 27 and it seems now that nightfall strikes are available. can anyone explain what the difference is from the standard weekly? i see there modifiers but not quite sure what they mean and also it says the rewards are unknown. what have you had as rewards? do you get vanguard marks/reputation or engrams?

i might jump on and see if i can get into one to try it out.

Sorry we are all currently bitching about the terrible new weapon nerf-apocalypse.

Nightfall has a few unique modifiers, you can cursor over them to get a description or press the touch pad while in the strike to read them. The main ones are Nightfall, which means you get booted back to orbit if you wipe at any point, so make sure not to try solo'ing it and play conservatively. The other one is Epic which means the enemies are stronger and more aggressive and they have more elemental shields (e.g. shanks have solar shields, etc.). NFalls also typically have different elemental burns than the Weekly. A Burn means that element does 3x damage both to you and to the enemies if you damage them with that element type. This week the NFall has burns for all 3 elements while the weekly only has Void burn.

NFall rewards can vary widely, almost anything is one the table. An exotic weapon or armor, a legendary weapon or engram, strange coins, and ascendant shards or energies. You can get something extremely valuable or something pretty useless, basically.

You are guaranteed to get 500 rep and a 25% boost to all your XP and rep gains for the rest of the week. You also get marks but I forget the exact amount, maybe ~20.

Lnkn52

No mention of fixing black hammer and word of crota perks, nor anything about the necrochasm....

I would really hope if they are working on weapon buffs/nerfs those would be included in the update....

They did mention the Necro, they are going to Nerf ARs because they are OP… LMAO

joecanada

Yeah ARs need to a serious nerf across the board. Pulse rifles need buffing. Hand cannon range nerf I can live with

I mostly love Scout rifles and hand cannons.

Fusion rifles can get nerfed into the ground. They reign supreme in Rumble. With a L10 I was winning Rumbles with a Fusion rifle last time I tested (pre-Crota expansion but that shouldnt make any diff)

* PVP balance will still suck tho due to Supers. Need new gamemode like we had in Halo that does not allow supers. Halo had that great level of polish and tuning that PvP demands

I don't see why fusion rifles should get nerfed so badly. Most people still use shotguns. More experienced people run fusion rifle and it's supreme to be sure, but most of those people would grab their long range, high impact shotgun as replacement anyway.
If they nerf these badly I'll just pull out TLW. No big deal to me

I'm glad they aren't touching Scouts. They'll always be my main squeeze
SsjCkGFl.jpg

Overall the weapon tuning has great changes. Big points that have needed to be addressed since the games launch are finally getting attention.

The AR nerf is barely anything, you're not gonna notice a mere 2.5% less damage per shot (your 60 dmg bodyshot is now 59, your 300 dmg crit is now 293). If you're just in the mood to "sit back and play", you're probably not caring about damage output anyhow. If it does bother you, liquor is always there to help you through these hard times. Cerberus Vae III sober is not something you have to do, guys.

Yea overall it's good and interesting to me. Shotgun, Fusion and Pulse have good changes. AR and HC are debatable. I think if the HC range is just a tiny bit weaker, that's fine. I'm definitely curious to see the exact range now. They didn't mess with Scouts so that's also good.

Great update!

I'll echo the concern over the AR nerf. I think they could have largely left them untouched with those changes to the other weapons. I think the numbers are skewed by the fact that that style of weapon is the most comfortable to most people playing an FPS whether they're actually better or not.

On the bright side this means that all of us who don't just use the most comfortable gun have an advantage. Hand cannons are the moneyball of PvP!

hydruxo

Welp, with a April to June release for HoW confirmed now I can imagine this thread will dwindle down quite a bit here in a few months unless Bungie has some new events for us besides Iron Banner. Still no word on when Trials of Osiris is coming and there's just not enough content to keep people going for that long.

Luckily there's alot of games coming out that I want to play so I'm cool with it. Once Borderlands Handsome Collection comes out, I'll probably move on to that for my loot fix until HoW.

joecanada

The AR nerf is barely anything, you're not gonna really notice a mere 2.5% less damage per shot. If you're just in the mood to "sit back and play", you're probably not caring about damage output anyhow. If it does bother you, liquor is always there to help you through these hard times. Cerberus Vae III sober is not something anyone should have to do, guys.

EDIT: forgot to mention that they did say the AR nerf is averaged across Rate of Fire stats, higher RoF took less of a reduction than low RoF.

See? I have an unlevelled Suros too just in case they pulled this shit. I'm telling you keep one of everything, and don't trust micromanagemers like bungie... Of course as others mentioned, no word on the raid glitches
Typical micromanagers, always with the small bullshit, no big picture.

realcZk

Yea overall it's good and interesting to me. Shotgun, Fusion and Pulse have good changes. AR and HC are debatable. I think if the HC range is just a tiny bit weaker, that's fine. I'm definitely curious to see the exact range now. They didn't mess with Scouts so that's also good.

Currently, HC range is insane. The range on Thorn is pretty much tied with that of the Praedyth's Revenge. I really only ever take advantage of HC range during PvP battles, I don't expect this nerf to hurt too hard overall.

Welp, with a April to June release for HoW confirmed now I can imagine this thread will dwindle down quite a bit here in a few months unless Bungie has some new events for us besides Iron Banner. Still no word on when Trials of Osiris is coming and there's just not enough content to keep people going for that long.

Luckily there's alot of games coming out that I want to play so I'm cool with it. Once Borderlands Handsome Collection comes out, I'll probably move on to that for my loot fix until HoW.

I never finished BL2 (PC). Maybe 30 hours in. Slightly debating on getting it for PS4. It was pretty fun.

Namikaze1

Thank god I moved on from ARs to SRs. Though I really enjoyed the time I spent with my Abyss Defiant. Why Bungie has it out for ARs I don't know...

Cybrwzrd

Banned
At least I can work on my backlog once I finish my platnium since there will be no new content for at least 2 months...

I love the game, but my interest was starting to wane due to HM Crota bugs, and now nerfing weapons without any announcement of fixing blatantly broken exotics - including the absurdly broken and soon to be nerfed Necrochasm.

Nerfing isn't fun Bungie.

Are you telling me the Suros is gonna have a 3rd freaking nerf? Why are they doing this? People are just gonna stop using AR's altogether if they become useless. That's why no one was using Scout Rifles in PVP before cos AR's were the better choice. At this rate no one's gonna be using AR's. It's just gonna be Scout Rifles and Hand cannons.

Reading the shotgun update it seems like they're differentiating the damage output from PVP and PVE. Why isn't this happening for all the damn weapons in the game? I don't understand this.

EL CUCO

Increase damage by 2x (100%) against all non-Guardian combatants (aliens)
I'm starting to think that the whole "Bungie can't balance the weapons separately for PVE from PVP" theory is BS. They're obviously buffing shotty damage for PVE...

LiK

Are you telling me the Suros is gonna have a 3rd freaking nerf? Why are they doing this? People are just gonna stop using AR's altogether if they become useless. That's why no one was using Scout Rifles in PVP before cos AR's were the better choice. At this rate no one's gonna be using AR's. It's just gonna be Scout Rifles and Hand cannons.

They're buffing Pulse Rifles so expect that to be the new shit for a while. Altho I hate PRs as a whole cuz I'm not a burst fire user.

blackflag

Wow that hand cannon nerf. The range fall off is not my concern it's this "shots should be paced" language that has me terrified.

they're going halo 2 when battle rifles were the only PvP weapon

cilonen

Deej clearly stated last week (I think?) that "Hard mode is hard." I think they covered it quite extensively!

Thing is, In Atheon HM, two people go down and the party can save it. the Rocky theme kicks in in your head and you can pull it off. That's why it's fun even if you scrub it and wipe a few times.

Crota HM, either the wrong person goes down or two people bite it and that's a wipe. Plus get it all right and the game still might glitch it away from you to an unrecoverable point.

Carbonox

AR nerf? Cheers Bungie you spenks, I was really enjoying the Abyss Defiant. My buddy's gonna be pissed about the handcannon nerf as well. Shit needs to be less bullet-spongey in Destiny, not more so.

At least I have the Oversoul Edict to utilize in PVE in the case of AR nerfs which is a useful PR. Would like to obtain a top Scout Rifle as well at some point. Got a Badger which is pretty cool so far.

Top Bottom