• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT17| 17th inning stretch

Really there is nothing on that list that is direct competition with Destiny. From a release standpoint that's almost as devoid of competition as you can get.

The biggest problem with that rumored May release date is convincing people to come back, since I'm betting a huge amount of the community will have moved on by then. House of Wolves better have a fair amount more content than Dark Below if they're going to expect people to return to Destiny for it.

But those are extremely thin entries in terms of direct competition. I assume Witcher 3 will be great and hope it does well, and I hope Arkham Knight is good, but if we're looking at what Bungie is thinking from a release standpoint rather than a retention standpoint... I hadn't actually seen the list of upcoming released past March planned out like that... this might actually be a pretty solid business decision :/ Bloodborne is by far the game I've seen referenced by are internal community and that's a March release...

I mean when it comes to me-

was gonna say, lol.

ayup

I wouldn't just look at The Witcher 2 and say the exact same thing will happen with 3. TW3 is going to have quite a bit of marketing behind it, unlike the rather quiet port I remember with TW2.

But yeah, I don't think there will be a ton of crossover. It'll be likely the combination of those titles plus (and the largest factor by far) general drifting that will hurt HoW adoption than any single title, plus plenty of people have already bought in.

I'd be more worried about Comet.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Wait the reasoning behind nerfing all the weapons is cause we were getting shit done too quickly?

How come Shotty can get a massive bump PvE side, yet get a semi-nerf on the PvP side
Do that for all weapons, WHAT IN THE BLUE FUCK!?!

AR's only reason are used so much is there are so resilient
Most HC w/o Field Scout are useless
FR with small charge rate, take forever to "boot" up
Pulses were shit from Day 1, good they are getting buffed, but then don't lower everything else to make Pulses shine to the new nerfed weapons tier =/

Seriously, who the hell is thinking, yeah these Guardians are killing shit too fast, let's slow down that "fun"

Namikaze1

But those are extremely thin entries in terms of direct competition. I assume Witcher 3 will be great and hope it does well, and I hope Arkham Knight is good, but if we're looking at what Bungie is thinking from a release standpoint rather than a retention standpoint... I hadn't actually seen the list of upcoming released past March planned out like that... this might actually be a pretty solid business decision :/ Bloodborne is by far the game I've seen referenced by are internal community and that's a March release...

I mean when it comes to me-

was gonna say, lol.

ayup
What about MGS V The Phantom Pain? There's rumors of it releasing in the same time frame. If it turns out to be true, then that's one more game to add to the list and that one is bigger than any releasing in the April-June frame.

Deku Tree

Bungie Weapon Tuning Guru said:
"Why did you “nerf” my favorite weapon? Why not make the other ones better and leave mine alone?"

Good question! Here’s why: We pay close attention to kill times in all game modes against all combatant types. If we brought up all the other weapons to account for lethality spikes that occur in specific situations, then our TTK (time to kill) would get faster with every patch. It is important to us to keep TTK values such that your arsenal feels lethal, but also both allows for some drama while you fight, and creates opportunities for counter-play when you’re being attacked.

This actually makes a lot of sense and I hadn't considered this point before....

patchday

Really there is nothing on that list that is direct competition with Destiny. From a release standpoint that's almost as devoid of competition as you can get.

The biggest problem with that rumored May release date is convincing people to come back, since I'm betting a huge amount of the community will have moved on by then. House of Wolves better have a fair amount more content than Dark Below if they're going to expect people to return to Destiny for it.

What list you refer to? If you are referring to March.

Shall I point out Bloodborne?

I'm going to be playing the heck out of that game when it releases. Hell, I'd be playing Dark Souls 2 if it were on next gen

[edit] Oh you probably meant 'first person coop shooters' lol. Sorry I was thinking coop in general

Ambitious

Whahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Yeah, I honestly do. It's really good action game and it was a solid distraction from Destiny at the time. I bought a Wii U for it too.

Oh I don't doubt that. The first one is one of my favorite games of the last generation, and also one of my most played ones.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
People use ARs in PvP? It's all about the HC baby. Haven't read the new weekly update yet but seeing some of the reactions here I kinda don't want to :(

So House of Wolves is definitely May and they seem to be completely ruining every weapon in the game to make Pulse Rifles more useful.

What. The. Fuck.

No mention of Vault Space.

No mention of any upcoming events to tide us over until HoW.

Bungie has done nothing interesting or of note since TDB launched. We are at 2 months now.

Boooooooring

This actually makes a lot of sense and I hadn't considered this point before....

It doesn't make sense to apply the same nerfs to PvE, especially when they can clearly separate the two like they did with shotties. That conflict still remains their biggest balancing road block and I have no idea why they don't eschew it completely when they have that ability.

Qwell

Would anyone be up for HM CE in about 2 hours, 5pm PST, either 2/4 or 3/4 ... mostly just looking for the Abyss Defiant, my last chance for the week. but willing to run deathsinger as well, maybe even a full clear if the team is working smooth. I would be running my 32 Titan.

So I guess I shouldn't have dismantled all my Pulse Rifle rewards huh. Oh well, here's to some Bad Juju. ROC strikes with Voidwalker and Obsidian Mind going to be even more fun now.

Did they think about the fact that they had an AR bounty in IB may have contributed to the massive use of the SUROS? This shit is common sense. Put in a PR bounty and see what happens next time. But no, you get a nerf, you get a nerf, everyone gets a nerf!

People use ARs in PvP? It's all about the HC baby. Haven't read the new weekly update yet but seeing some of the reactions here I kinda don't want to :(

It's not good Kartik.

ARs are already so useless after the first nerf. Hand Cannons getting a nerf. Shotguns not getting the proper balance they need in PvP (range and damage nerf), Fusion Rifles nerfed and Pulse Rifles are getting love because of no reason. No one uses them! Why are you spending time and resources on a weapon class everyone hates!!!!

Then they lumped all the others together likely to avoid controversy since I'm sure Gjallerhorn is getting nerfed

Wallach

I'll be very interested to see how well Witcher 3 does, they're hyping it up and giving it a much bigger push. I was barely aware of the first two games but W3 seems to be swinging for the fences, trying to make that next big leap in popularity. If the combat system delivers on depth and responsiveness, and the world is fun and free to explore without too much yackety-sax dialogue/forced cut scenes, I'll be all over it.

I'm very interested to see how it turns out, because the series has always had a lot of promise. I think TW2 was the wrong direction gameplay-wise, though, so I'm pretty glad to see them take it to new design space. It's a game I'll likely enjoy, though after TW2 I'm keeping my expectations in check.

Yep. I remember Witcher 2 console and PC releasing simultaneously. Oh wait...

Anyone who wanted to play Witcher 2 would've gotten on PC by the time the 360 version released. Come on dude!

Man, what. The 360 and PC user bases did not overlap like this whatsoever (especially the higher-end PC segment this game targeted when it launched), nevermind that this game did a bulk of it's total LTD beyond the release date of the 360 version.

It's not good Kartik.

ARs are already so useless after the first nerf. Hand Cannons getting a nerf. Shotguns not getting the proper balance they need in PvP (range and damage nerf), Fusion Rifles nerfed and Pulse Rifles are getting love because of no reason. No one uses them! Why are you spending time and resources on a weapon class everyone hates!!!!

Then they lumped all the others together likely to avoid controversy since I'm sure Gjallerhorn is getting needed b

It's really odd/telling that they're buffing pulse rifles simply because no one is using them.

It doesn't make sense to apply the same nerfs to PvE, especially when they can clearly separate the two like they did with shotties. That conflict still remains their biggest balancing road block and I have no idea why they don't eschew it completely when they have that ability.

It proves they can do it, but won't for philosophical reasons. Shotguns were apparently exceptions since there is no way to tip toe around it. Even with the buff, shotguns will only be situationAL in PvE. A Sniper or FR will be more effective 90+% of the time.

It's really odd/telling that they're buffing pulse rifles simply because no one is using them.

Let's buff Pulse Rifles and not give a shit about actual needs from the players.

Who the fuck asked for any of this weapon balancing they outlined? NO ONE

Thanks for taking time to do things no one asked for.

Deku Tree

I hope they announce some exciting PvE event thing to do between now and HoW. Otherwise I'm going to be spending less time each week playing Destiny.

I have almost everything maxed as of now.

I'll still do my NF+weekly 3x and I'll still do my raids and I'll check in on what Xur is selling but I'll probably be otherwise checking out the order 1886 and bloodbourne and maybe some Wii U games that I haven't gotten to yet. I'll probably have 500 strange coins by the time HoW drops lol.

Seriously, who the hell is thinking, yeah these Guardians are killing shit too fast, let's slow down that "fun"

58866076.jpg

Namikaze1

People here sleeping on Witcher 3. smdh

I don't recall Witcher 2 launching simultaneously across different platforms. I also don't recall it having the marketing budget Witcher 3 will have.

patchday

Hey. I specifically asked for a PR base damage increase, thank you very MUCH. *crosses arms*

Yeah I'd like a reason to use my new Oversoul pulse rifle.

I dont really use ARs unless there's a bounty (like in IB). Might use Suros in HM crota for health (but havent yet)

Funny to see them spend so much effort for PVP when they don't add in any core features to pvp like map voting. It's like all their engineers have moved on to Destiny 2 and we're stuck with a skeleton crew kinda

[edit] My reasoning is its much easier to update a spreadsheet on their end to change numbers. Bioware are the kings of that. On Mass effect 3 MP we'd get balance changes every 2 weeks. Can you imagine the tears on that forums every 2 weeks for a year straight?? LOL!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What about MGS V The Phantom Pain? There's rumors of it releasing in the same time frame. If it turns out to be true, then that's one more game to add to the list and that one is bigger than any releasing in the April-June frame.
that would be a MUCH better example, and it's console only right? I've heard Q3 though.
What list you refer to? If you are referring to March.

Shall I point out Bloodborne?

I'm going to be playing the heck out of that game when it releases. Hell, I'd be playing Dark Souls 2 if it were on next gen

[edit] Oh you probably meant 'first person coop shooters' lol. Sorry I was thinking coop in general
hehe, even though they're not the same genre there will be a lot of the more hardcore PS4 contigent of Destiny playing Bloodborne. I hope it does extremely well too, I really love From. But that's next month. Nami's list of Q2 releases doesn't have anything that can compete with that on PS4, let alone with Destiny multiplatform

I think sometimes it's easy for us to lose sight of exactly how big this game is :[
GameInformer has clarified in their article on the Activision earning call that those 16 million players are from active accounts that play approximately 3 hours per day.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/02/05/destiny-has-16-million-registered-users-playing-an-average-of-three-hours-daily.aspx?utm_content=buffer0e2b9&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
not approximately, an average of 3 hours per day.

but.. yeah... 16 million

E92 M3

You must've heard Evolve has a gun called the Universal Remote and pre-ordered it.

Lol

It never made sense and Bungie refuses to acknowledge it.

Lnkn52

I was listening to the official Destiny podcast, the Guardian Radio, and they brought up a good point about Bungie inconsistency with balancing the game and RNG. When they first release the first sets of weapon balancing and nerfed AR 1.0, it was obvious they wanted people to switch to another class of weapon. That of course forced the community to explore other type of weapons. But then came Xur that week and he sold Suros... Like really, why would anyone buy that if it isn't as strong as before.

I really love this game, but they seem to have lost control of this beast, and we are just basically playing the beta until Destiny 2 releases.

I think too many people are jumping the gun with the notes on the next update. Once it goes live, then we can ascertain if it was good or bad. And some of the stuff mentioned that people are freaking out over isn't that big of a deal anyway.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Who the fuck asked for any of this weapon balancing they outlined? NO ONE
I've asked for a wider Fusion Rifle spread dropoff at least once a month
I think too many people are jumping the gun with the notes on the next update. Once it goes live, then we can ascertain if it was good or bad. And some of the stuff mentioned isn't that big of a deal anyway.
lunacy. commence panic.

Namikaze1

that would be a MUCH better example, and it's console only right? I've heard Q3 though.

hehe, even though they're not the same genre there will be a lot of the more hardcore PS4 contigent of Destiny playing Bloodborne. I hope it does extremely well too, I really love From. But that's next month. Nami's list of Q2 releases doesn't have anything that can compete with that on PS4, let alone with Destiny multiplatform

I think sometimes it's easy for us to lose sight of exactly how big this game is :[

not approximately, an average of 3 hours per day.

but.. yeah... 16 million
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=986090

People here sleeping on Witcher 3. smdh

I don't recall Witcher 2 launching simultaneously across different platforms. I also don't recall it having the marketing budget Witcher 3 will have.

Pre-ordered on Steam months ago with the discount for having previous titles. I am planning on upgrading my GPU for this game alone. Looking like a GTX970 unless something with a better price/performance comes along before then.

I am almost as excited for it as I am for Bloodborne.

I think too many people are jumping the gun with the notes on the next update. Once it goes live, then we can ascertain if it was good or bad. And some of the stuff mentioned that people are freaking out over isn't that big of a deal anyway.

The majority want new content and updates, bug fixes, new events, more vault space, etc.
By not addressing most of those issues and talking about weapons, most are upset. Especially the nerfs. And add to the fact that the DLC is indeed delayed for April-June when a lot of people are already getting bored with nothing left to do in Destiny, well... boom.

Even with a 10% damage buff, I still think a lot of pulse rifles will suck. A few will rise to the top, but most won't be worth your time.

Bad Juju and Red Death are going to rock. Oversoul Edict being Arc damage becomes a lot more interesting. Don't know enough about vendor weapons to really have an opinion.

Maybe Timepiece can come out of my vault now?

Top Bottom