• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT17| 17th inning stretch

Shito

I don't know why people closely parse the language Deej uses and why people believe that Deej is not totally willing at any given moment to just straight up lie to our faces for no reason other than he thinks it sounds good right now.
Well, since the SUROS poll, that Deej comment is useless either way: we know they can manually control Xur's stock if they want to. ^^

Kukawaki

Offtopic:

Someone told me (Rubenov?) that they had replaced their dualshock 4 thumb sticks with xbox one thumb sticks.... I've worn my ds4 down pretty badly, and found some xb1 thumb sticks on amazon for .99 cents. Just ordered them, lets see how this plays out....

Anyone else do this?

I have. My DS4 enjoyment went up :)

EL CUCO

Its like winning the lottery when you can beat HM Crota in less than 4-5 wipes. Did it the other night with some LFGers. I was in shock. Barely any glitches. Reading about these glitches/bugs on here makes me dread running HM again next week.
Killed HM Crota last night during a bug free run with a 5 man team and 1 death along the way. Put the final sword in Crota with a total of 4 men standing.

Then for our 2nd run with 6 men, Crota was a glitchy and buggy mess. We eventually called it a night...and you know what, it felt good to quit before it was too late.

Hopefully he behaves himself tonight.

Future

Deej once said Xur is not random, and his inventory is picked by someone each week.
He said that on a random stream, and since that Bungie removed this video and never mentionned that again.

We at least know they have some way of controlling it, since they once ran a poll to ask what the players would want him to sell. Players answered SUROS to a vast majority, and Xur had it the next Friday.

Xur decides to push dlc content every other week. The shit is clearly not random

So I was actually working yesterday and missed the entire BWU and Weapon discussion. From a quick glance at this page, everyone seems pretty butt hurt about it?

Am I missing something, because all of the changes sound great to me?

Auto rifles nerfed again. The problem wasn't so much the nerf itself but the reasoning behind it. Bungie decided to nerf it because people 'use' them too much. Not because they were OP or because they have some unfair disadvantage (which they don't when they get trumped by handcannons in pretty much every aspect). They don't seem to have made the connection between the popularity of automatic weapons and FPS games...

Handcannons are also nerfed (this I am ambivalent towards as I don't know how much this will actually affect me).

Fusion rifles deserved thiers.

Shotguns nerfed but in a way that shows PvE and PvP can be done separately. Which kinda questions thier previous disability to understand the difference between PvP and PvE.

That's all that comes to mind right now...

Had this happen while trying to channel your Titan sword slicing skills yesterday. We got close a few times but bugs like this suck.
http://youtu.be/T6-UxJ3J4oE

Heh I've had that happen a few times

also tip: Get the sword, jump on the 1st rock( the smaller one) drop the sword and pop a blessing bubble. It extends your longevity significantly.

I just imagined you with an "Enrage is Near" tag lol.

Enrage has been near for sometime now, that's why I was leveling up my hunter.

noomi

I ordered some last week and will be getting them in a couple days. Going to install them in one of my DS4's. It sounds so much better. Everyone that I've come across that's done it says it's great and super easy.

I have. My DS4 enjoyment went up :)

Awesome! Glad to hear that, I love the DS4 controller, but ever since Destiny... those thumbs sticks are really getting worn, and the xb1 sticks look much better in terms of quality and thumb grip.

I'm a little nervous about messing up the controller by doing this, so I'll try to find a tutorial online on how to do it.

Now that I think about it, maybe I should see if there is a way to replace the battery as well, the charge seems to have gotten much worse over the last few weeks. Feel like I get 2-3 hours on a full charge...

Offtopic:

Someone told me (Rubenov?) that they had replaced their dualshock 4 thumb sticks with xbox one thumb sticks.... I've worn my ds4 down pretty badly, and found some xb1 thumb sticks on amazon for .99 cents. Just ordered them, lets see how this plays out....

Anyone else do this?

I have some X1 sticks that I want to replace on one of my DS4, I just need to buy the screw driver and I'll try it out.

Also any fresh HM CE runs happening today? I just need Deathsinger and Crota to be honest

For people who say Xur is random do you remember when he use to have material exchange, and Bungie removed it from him before he left. So they have control of him. .

xur.jpg

E92 M3

Auto rifles nerfed again. The problem wasn't so much the nerf itself but the reasoning behind it. Bungie decided to nerf it because people 'use' them too much. Not because they were OP or because they have some unfair disadvantage (which they don't when they get trumped by handcannons in pretty much every aspect). They don't seem to have made the connection between the popularity of automatic weapons and FPS games...

Handcannons are also nerfed (this I am ambivalent towards as I don't know how much this will actually affect me).

Shotguns nerfed but in a way that shows PvE and PvP can be done separately. Which kinda questions thier previous disability to understand the difference between PvP and PvE.

Bungie is having problems with statistical analysis lol. No shit ARs are used the most - they are the most popular gun in shooters for beginners. Doesn't mean they are actually effective.

Deku Tree

Recently leveled up my Mask of the Third man, Don't touch me's, and Hunger of Crota.

I am now done grinding and leveling. I will level up Titan raid boots and Helm St 14 and Ruin Wings if they ever drop. I might level up my MIDA Multi-tool together with a Hunger of Crota if I ever get another one. Otherwise nothing.

Only thing left for me to do in Destiny is NF+Weekly + Raids until HoW in Q2.

Rubenov

So I was actually working yesterday and missed the entire BWU and Weapon discussion. From a quick glance at this page, everyone seems pretty butt hurt about it?

Hawkmoon am cry. And every other hand cannon. ARs crappier than ever. Nechrochasm.

Hmm...I don't know what to say about this post. Especially coming from the thread creator. I'll be kind and just say that I disagree.

Daemul

As a pulse rifle user I'm very happy. I'm also happy with the buff shotguns are getting in PvE and the changes to the fusion rifles(long time coming). I don't use auto rifles and handcannons so I'm not bothered about them lol

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Honestly, reading that as the reason for the change is, literally, the first time I had my doubts about this game going forward. I've always felt they had a very solid foundation and Bungie would be able to build upon this strong start. However, reducing the effectiveness of a weapon because it is used too much is simply... stupid. Some of my friends use ARs simply because they don't want to pull the trigger for each shot like with a scout or hand cannon.

I guess everything they said just makes sense to me. Pulse rifles need a niche, but in order for them to get one Bungie needs to make room. Only way to do that is to rebalance the other weapons. If ARs and Hand Cannons have to give some of their audience over to Pulse Rifles in order for Pulse Rifles to flourish, then so be it. I'm all for weapon variety.

I know a lot of people get upset their they favorite weapon might be getting knocked down a peg, but honestly, I enjoy the change up. I went from leveling with a pulse rifle, to using auto rifles almost strictly. I jumped ship to Scout Rifles not long after, and nowadays I find myself using hand cannons.

I like the change up. Sometimes its nice to go with the flow, and lets be honest, the average player (read: not us) chooses his weapons based on whats killing them in PvP.

When you get killed by Auto Rifles all the time, you figure that the guys beating your ass must know whats he is doing, so you model your choice after him. Bungie knows that by mixing up the formula, the player's weapon choices will trickle down after time.

I will say that I think a straight up Damage increase is not the way to go about Pulse Rifle buffs, something needs to be done about the stability of every one of those weapons. But I'll let them make their move and see what comes of it. We'll have two new weapon types to play with in the future anyway.

Hmm...I don't know what to say about this post. Especially coming from the thread creator. I'll be kind and just say that I disagree.

Just because I've made the thread doesn't elevate me to some sort of higher status. You shouldn't feel like you can't express an opposing opinion just because I took it upon myself to copy/paste one day.

Rubenov

Offtopic:

Anyone else do this?

Not me... I just ended up buying a new DS4 :/

Born2Live

I have some X1 sticks that I want to replace on one of my DS4, I just need to buy the screw driver and I'll try it out.

Also any fresh HM CE runs happening today? I just need Deathsinger and Crota to be honest

For people who say Xur is random do you remember when he use to have material exchange, and Bungie removed it from him before he left. So they have control of him. .

xur.jpg

I need Crota x3 and Deathsinger x2 so looking to hop in or format a group at some point. Although it seems to be getting increasingly difficult to a group together.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Only thing left for me to do in Destiny is NF+Weekly + Raids until HoW in Q2.

That's all I'm doing until HoW, if I still continue to play that long. And even with raids, I'll do them on raid day with my group, but if I can't make it that day, I'll just pass that week. Not like I do it for the drops.

Kukawaki

Awesome! Glad to hear that, I love the DS4 controller, but ever since Destiny... those thumbs sticks are really getting worn, and the xb1 sticks look much better in terms of quality and thumb grip.

I'm a little nervous about messing up the controller by doing this, so I'll try to find a tutorial online on how to do it.

Now that I think about it, maybe I should see if there is a way to replace the battery as well, the charge seems to have gotten much worse over the last few weeks. Feel like I get 2-3 hours on a full charge...

Battery should be the easiest part :)

Some advice: Triggers have tiny, annoying springs. Watch out for them.

Touchpad ribbon cable is short and only works one way; I put it in upside down and had to disassemble twice.

Also, look up how to disable the light while you're at it.

cilonen

Offtopic:

Anyone else do this?

Be really careful opening the DS4 up, the two halves are clipped together pretty strongly even when the screws are out. There is a ribbon cable going between the front and back half for the touchpad and too much force as you separate the halves will rip that out of it's mounts.

Also, don't be surprised if the battery falls out, it's not stuck to anything in there.

Question. I'm a lvl 28 Titan. I don't have any exotics. I have been soloing this game and would like to have one, finally. I happen to finally have 23 motes of light. I see that there's a exotic gauntlet engram that costs 23 motes of light from Xur this week. Is this a good move for me? I already have fully upgraded legendary gauntlets.

I'm running out of ways to feel like I'm making progress here and I don't have any friends who play, to raid with.

If this isn't what I should do with my 23 motes, then what should I do with them?

Future

At least some good news in weapon balance. Although shotguns will be forever useless in PvE if melee hits one shot you and they keep abusing angry modifiers so no one ever reacts

lt519

I wonder if Bungie forgot about the Black Hammer and Word of Crota, even though the latter isn't a big deal.

The solution is probably more complex than the heavy ammo glitch. Basically any non-precision damage nulls the reload perk. So not only is it hive disruptor but it's also burn and poison damage. It's not a weapon problem it's the entire systems problem. In other words they would have to completely redo how damage dealt is registered, and you can imagine how many things that touches.

Basically as I've been saying the game systems, despite our best efforts to trivialize them, are pretty complex and worse off probably poorly coded given the original team size.

Deku Tree

I wonder if Bungie forgot about the Black Hammer and Word of Crota, even though the latter isn't a big deal.

I don't expect them to fix them.

They need to just the Hive bonus damage crit damage when you are landing a crit... is hard to bug fix in their Destiny computer code? Could be...

The solution is probably more complex than the heavy ammo glitch. Basically any non-precision damage nulls the reload perk. So not only is it hive disruptor but it's also burn and poison damage. It's not a weapon problem it's the entire systems problem. In other words they would have to completely redo how damage dealt is registered, and you can imagine how many things that touches.

Why didn't they realize this when designing the guns and perks though? Is it an issue of a disconnect and lack of communication between game designers and computer coders?

EL CUCO

Can somebody refresh my memory?

Xur used to have a one time exchange of glimmer for strange coins, iirc. Then Bungie removed it immediately in real time when people were creating new characters to do the exchange.

Am I remembering this right?

Fair enough, but I personally cannot agree with that philosophy. Encouraging weapon variety is one thing but forcing it is another issue entirely. The initial AR nerf/HC buff I can understand as it was obvious there were problems there. It made HCs a viable class. That encourages variety. Like you, I was pretty much ARs all the time and now I'm mainly a handcannon user.

I can understand the nerf if the weapon was actually better. But they aren't. They really aren't. Anyone who is familiar with the game knows the best way to crucible is pretty much always with a handcannon. Yesterday my 300 attack Fatebringer was bringing down Acolytes (33) in two hits. Or three if my aiming is off. My Abyss Defiant (310 attack) was taking most of the mag. My point is if this philosphy 'we know better than you so stop playing that way' continues, HCs are next on the nerf list. Making people choose another class of weapon 'Cos I the developer don't agree with it' is a terrible way of thinking.

Ugh now ive lost my train of thought and this is way too rambly

cilonen

Question. I'm a lvl 28 Titan. I don't have any exotics. I have been soloing this game and would like to have one, finally. I happen to finally have 23 motes of light. I see that there's a exotic gauntlet engram that costs 23 motes of light from Xur this week. Is this a good move for me? I already have fully upgraded legendary gauntlets.

I'm running out of ways to feel like I'm making progress here and I don't have any friends who play, to raid with.

If this isn't what I should do with my 23 motes, then what should I do with them?

The 23 mote gauntlet is a roll of the dice. It's random whether it'll be for your character or not. It could be any exotic arms for any class.

You could hang on to them in case you get into the Iron Banner PvP event for buying good legendary gear as the motes will let you re-roll the stats on the weapons - no other weapons can do this.

Or you could save a couple more (25) and wait for a legendary titan Mark you really like from the speaker.

I've made the roll on the engram before, right when I first got enough motes and it turned out to be something for a completely different class. It felt cheap and I felt like I'd wasted all that effort but after playing for a while I realised there's nothing else really to do with motes.

If the exotic you get is not for a Titan you can dismantle it for an exotic shard which will help you max out an exotic you don really want when you get one - and you will :)

Deku Tree

Xur used to have a one time exchange of glimmer for strange coins, iirc. Then Bungie removed it when people were creating new characters to do the exchange.

I never saw that myself... I currently have 212 Strange Coins and nothing to spend them on...

I guess everything they said just makes sense to me. Pulse rifles need a niche, but in order for them to get one Bungie needs to make room. Only way to do that is to rebalance the other weapons. If ARs and Hand Cannons have to give some of their audience over to Pulse Rifles in order for Pulse Rifles to flourish, then so be it. I'm all for weapon variety.

I know a lot of people get upset their they favorite weapon might be getting knocked down a peg, but honestly, I enjoy the change up. I went from leveling with a pulse rifle, to using auto rifles almost strictly. I jumped ship to Scout Rifles not long after, and nowadays I find myself using hand cannons.

I like the change up. Sometimes its nice to go with the flow, and lets be honest, the average player (read: not us) chooses his weapons based on whats killing them in PvP.

When you get killed by Auto Rifles all the time, you figure that the guys beating your ass must know whats he is doing, so you model your choice after him. Bungie knows that by mixing up the formula, the player's weapon choices will trickle down after time.

I will say that I think a straight up Damage increase is not the way to go about Pulse Rifle buffs, something needs to be done about the stability of every one of those weapons. But I'll let them make their move and see what comes of it. We'll have two new weapon types to play with in the future anyway.

Just because I've made the thread doesn't elevate me to some sort of higher status. You shouldn't feel like you can't express an opposing opinion just because I took it upon myself to copy/paste one day.

Calling those that don't see the news of more nerfing in PvE to help balance PvP "butt hurt" is uncalled for. Opinions have been shared, and you decided that they weren't your own and are therefore invalid.

LTWood12

Heh I've had that happen a few times

also tip: Get the sword, jump on the 1st rock( the smaller one) drop the sword and pop a blessing bubble. It extends your longevity significantly.

Enrage has been near for sometime now, that's why I was leveling up my hunter.

Hey Dhruv! Would you be up for doing hard mode tonight? T-44 and I are going to help one of our friends get through it for the first time, and Id love to have your professional sword skills for the crew. Thinking about 8cst tonight.

Its a good move, as long as you're okay with that exotic engram possibly turning into gauntlets for another class.

Do you have enough Strange Coins (13) to buy a piece of armor from him?

LiK

ARs are getting nerfed a third time. Ridiculous.

Future

By level 28 I would have guessed you'd at least have enough strange coins to buy an exotic. Do low level weeklys, roc strikes, and daily public events to get coins

Motes are also used for iron banner rerolls. They don't do much of anything else worthwhile besides buying cosmetic shit so I'd roll the guantlets if I were you. Although you might get a guantlet of another class....

If I were you I'd jump destinylfg and request games for nightfalls. You get invited directly to parties without adding anyone to friends lists and you get into groups fast that have the same goals as you. Progress basically stops in this game if you ignore the end game content: raids, nightfalls, weeklies

cilonen

Xur used to have a one time exchange of glimmer for strange coins, iirc. Then Bungie removed it when people were creating new characters to do the exchange.

Yeah, it was offered once, the very first time a character spoke to him as an introduction to the strange coin currency.

They got rid of it I think the first weekend of the game or maybe his second visit when people spent all weekend making new characters, running them through the first mission to the tower, speaking to Xur to get the coin, then deleting and repeating the process.

The free strange coin now comes in the post either after the black garden mission or on hitti lv20, I don't remember exactly which.

Top Bottom