• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT17| 17th inning stretch

Deku Tree

If Xur sold NLB today I was honestly going to buy two more. Oh well.

I just shared one a few days ago. Now I feel like I should have kept it for the Heavy Ammo Exploit.

Based on your original tip I just swap whenever it's a breathing time and grab an orb and swap back, just one triggers the regen so as long as you make it out of crota-space alive you're golden.

Yes I have been doing that too but I was worried about dying while running around with the sword and I wanted to be in a position while sword running to be able pick up an orb asap in a "danger zone" without switching.

Deku Tree

Seriously the only way I am imagining Bungie "respecting" our Raid character progression and effort with HoW (referencing Luke Smith's comment) is for them to auto Bump Raid armor to level 33. I would like them to do this months before HoW drops personally now that it is dropping in Q2...

...any other idea's about how Bungie would change the system to "respect" our Raid character progression ?

Hey Dhruv! Would you be up for doing hard mode tonight? T-44 and I are going to help one of our friends get through it for the first time, and Id love to have your professional sword skills for the crew. Thinking about 8cst tonight.

Hey LTWood! If you have room for another I'd love join in. Haven't gotten any HM Crota kills in yet this week. psn captscience

E92 M3

ARs were still way too accurate and are not precision weapons. They should not be killing from the distances they currently are. They remind me of the fusion rifles in that regard. I welcome all the changes. I'm primarily a hand cannon user and even I can admit the range was too good. I didn't even need a sniper rifle when using Hawkmoon or Thorn.

Yes, we wouldn't care about these changes if it didn't touch PVE. PVP is not the main draw of Destiny and it's not the mode keeping the game thriving.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Fleet_of_Foot said:
I didn't follow the thread as I should have, exotic gauntlets (either from the engram or No Backup Plans) would not be a particularly good buy for Fleet. You CAN get to 31 without an exotic after all, if you need to.

Honestly, the best thing for you to do this week would actually be to buy Plan C. If you haven't run the 30 Weekly yet this week, I'd love to run you through tonight. Then you'd have enough strange coins for the buy, and especially if you don't have fusion rifles, it's really worth it. If you have already run it you'll be too tight on coins to afford it, but that's my recommendation.
Yes I have been doing that too but I was worried about dying while running around with the sword and I wanted to be in a position while sword running to be able pick up an orb asap in a "danger zone" without switching.
I'm actually leveling up Mask of the Third Man too, it's actually a perfect exotic for the encounter anyway, but in my experience you'll either die getting back to safety (where you can actually sip some tea while swapping and pick up an orb and swapping back) or make it (with anything from full health to a sliver left) and still have plenty of time.

Lee

I'll be running sword on Crota normal mode and hard mode tonight on X1 around 7:30 MST. Will put together groups for a few runs of each as a lot of friends need to get it done. Gamertag is Trip Like I Do.

This chart makes the case for PvP changes to Auto Rifle, but can I be skeptical about their choice to show "Story" to represent PvE?

stats2.jpg

People do Story once, and then only again for bounties (usually set to the lowest hard difficulty) or for the Daily. If you were to do another table with end game content like Weeklies, Nightfalls, Raids, maybe even Roc strikes, I bet Auto Rifles would be much much lower. And anyway, a 5% spread between Hand Cannon, Scout Rifle and Auto Rifles is pretty good.

This is ostensibly a patch to carve out a space for Pulse Rifles, because they're outclassed at every range in every purpose by every other weapon right now. We don't know the severity of the nerfs to auto rifles and hand cannons yet, but I foresee one side effect of this patch is a effectively increasing difficulty of PvE content. Destinhy's End Game is very challenging (often unfairly) and incredibly lethal at close range. Why do you think there's more cheese in Destiny than in any other game? In Raids and Nightfalls and Weeklies it's important to stay alive. Players are forced to hang back. Changes to Auto Rifles, Hand Cannons and trying to make Shotguns relevant push combat closer. Which seems retaliatory to Guardians who want to play it safe in the face of burns and light switches and yellow bar mobs in Raids.

As an aside, I'm also fairly sure that this weapons balance patch means that we're not getting class balance changes anytime soon. Which is a shame because as an example, Golden Gun sucks for PvE.

zewone

Yes, we wouldn't care about these changes if it didn't touch PVE. PVP is not the main draw of Destiny and it's not the mode keeping the game thriving.
Use a different gun? I understand everyone has their favorites, but ARs are not great PVE guns to begin with. A scout, hand cannon, and soon pulse rifles, are all better choices.

Looks like I've broken my addiction to the game. Still hunting the horn but it won't bother me as much going forward. I'll do the NFs, couple raids here and there, but that's it for a while

I think the last Bungie update kind of sealed it. I'm not against the weapon balancing but I am pretty annoyed that they took my $80 and are ignoring some of the biggest problems with the game week after week. They rarely even talk about the glitches/issues and, when they do, it's some obnoxious "we hear you" response. Their priorities just seem really screwed up and that's unfortunate. It looks like it is beginning to hit them in the wallet and that process will only snowball from here on out.

Shito

ARs were still way too accurate and are not precision weapons. They should not be killing from the distances they currently are. They remind me of the fusion rifles in that regard. I welcome all the changes. I'm primarily a hand cannon user and even I can admit the range was too good. I didn't even need a sniper rifle when using Hawkmoon or Thorn.
As a scout rifle lover that is recently opening himself to other types of weapons, I have to disagree: hand cannon range is mostly shit. Hawkmoon range is awesome, but it's supposed to be, since it's one of the weapon's traits.
Problem is: what they listed is probably true in PVP, but it doesn't reflect at all in PVE, where the engagement distance is way different and further away. Hand cannons in PVE are supposed to pack a punch, to the detriment of having way less ammos than the other weapons, so you have to make every shot counts. With a reduced range, you will now have to attack enemies from closer than you were, which, as GuitarAtomik already said, is a big disadvantaged in the game's mechanims in PVE.
As a PVE user, I'm not too fond of all those nerfs.
As someone who got an Oversoul Edict this week, and quite enjoys it in its current state, I'm happy to see it buffed soon.

Deku Tree

The only AR I use is Abyss Defiant. If the Pulse Rifle buff is good I might switch to Oversoul Edict (except when I am fighting wizards) so I don't really care about the AR nerf.

Too many players use AR's too much.

ocean

Banned
Seriously the only way I am imagining Bungie "respecting" our Raid character progression and effort with HoW (referencing Luke Smith's comment) is for them to auto Bump Raid armor to level 33. I would like them to do this months before HoW drops personally now that it is dropping in Q2...

...any other idea's about how Bungie would change the system to "respect" our Raid character progression ?
What I feel they should have done the last time around, at least with Exotics:

Instead of having a reset wipe all your progress, let me buy an "upgrade" which clears the last (special material requiring) bubbles. Basically wipe the last column while staying at current maxed stat, allowing me to take it to new cap by leveling in the new bubbles.

Make them crazy XP or mat hungry, I don't care. Just don't reset my perks again. This I've thought mainly for Exotics but I guess it works for CE armor too.

Proposal: Vendor gear lets you hit 32, let CE upgrade to 33 and HoW/Exotics to 34.

Ambitious

ReXurbishing raid gear?

This chart makes the case for PvP changes to Auto Rifle, but can I be skeptical about their choice to show "Story" to represent PvE?

stats2.jpg

People do Story once, and then only again for bounties (usually set to the lowest hard difficulty) or for the Daily. If you were to do another table with end game content like Weeklies, Nightfalls, Raids, maybe even Roc strikes, I bet Auto Rifles would be much much lower. And anyway, a 5% spread between Hand Cannon, Scout Rifle and Auto Rifles is pretty good.

Possibly because Elemental burns can and will influence weapon choices. So it would be hard for Nightfalls and to a lesser extent, weeklies, to be unbiased.

Roc strikes make sense, though.

zewone

As a scout rifle lover that is recently opening himself to other types of weapons, I have to disagree: hand cannon range is mostly shit. Hawkmoon range is awesome, but it's supposed to be, since it's one of the weapon's traits.
Problem is: what they listed is probably true in PVP, but it doesn't reflect at all in PVE, where the engagement distance is way different and further away. Hand cannons in PVE are supposed to pack a punch, to the detriment of having way less ammos than the other weapons, so you have to make every shot counts. With a reduced range, you will now have to attack enemies from closer than you were, which, as GuitarAtomik already said, is a big disadvantaged in the game's mechanims in PVE.
As a PVE user, I'm not too fond of all those nerfs.
As someone who got an Oversoul Edict this week, and quite enjoys it in its current state, I'm happy to see it buffed soon.
In PVE the range Nerf for HCs won't even matter. You'll never be that far from the mob. I actually turn off range perks in PvE content.

ERMint13

Hawkian, T-44, and Ltwood Are running it tonight around 8cst. We'll need 3 more. But I'm sure you were thinking earlier.

I'll actually be on tonight for once. Haven't gotten in a hard mode kill this week. I can bring my 32 bubble Titan if you'll have me.

PSN Brolly1016

Rubenov

Use a different gun? I understand everyone has their favorites, but ARs are not great PVE guns to begin with. A scout, hand cannon, and soon pulse rifles, are all better choices.

ARs are not great at anything. As mentioned here many times, they're used as the go-to weapon in all shooters. Outclassed by everything except pulse rifles... and even that may change now.

ocean

Banned
Posted a Pooh gif responding to our friend who actually wanted NLB to be sold and remembered one of my favorite DestinyGAF posts. Literally no clue why I found this so funny:

Far below NeoGAF, fig has set something in motion, a thread-eating meme transforming Destiny OT into another link in her intergalactic chain. This Pooh must be stopped and the mind that controls it, destroyed.

LiK

stats2.jpg

This is ostensibly a patch to carve out a space for Pulse Rifles, because they're outclassed at every range in every purpose by every other weapon right now. We don't know the severity of the nerfs to auto rifles and hand cannons yet, but I foresee one side effect of this patch is a effectively increasing difficulty of PvE content. Destinhy's End Game is very challenging (often unfairly) and incredibly lethal at close range. Why do you think there's more cheese in Destiny than in any other game? In Raids and Nightfalls and Weeklies it's important to stay alive. Players are forced to hang back. Changes to Auto Rifles, Hand Cannons and trying to make Shotguns relevant push combat closer. Which seems retaliatory to Guardians who want to play it safe in the face of burns and light switches and yellow bar mobs in Raids.

As an aside, I'm also fairly sure that this weapons balance patch means that we're not getting class balance changes anytime soon. Which is a shame because as an example, Golden Gun sucks for PvE.

Most top players in all my PVP games these days aren't even AR users. The numbers are probably skewed cuz the masses use it more. It's easier to pick up and play with but if people want to be competitive against top players, ARs cannot compete with Scouts and HCs these days after it was nerfed a second time, imo.

Shito

In PVE the range Nerf for HCs won't even matter. You'll never be that far from the mob. I actually turn off range perks in PvE content.
I'm was raised in this game by scout rifles: I am always "that far" from the mobs. :D
I really saw the range stat kicking in when first switching from my beloved scout rifles to hand cannons: I was standing so far away that I was doing less damage with the HC than with a SR.

Lima

No heavy ammo again is a fucking joke and means I won't play until reset. No helping out people this weekend. Thanks Bungie.

ocean

Banned
Most top players in all my PVP games these days aren't even AR users. The numbers are probably skewed cuz the masses use it more. It's easier to pick up and play with but if people want to be competitive aginst top players, ARs cannot compete with Scouts and HCs these days after it was nerfed a second time, imo.
I think I remember reading they used "top 50%", which hardly qualifies as "top players" except in the most literal interpretation.

Even if they'd gone with the top fifth numbers would be way different. Top tenth and better would be HC>all others combined.

LiK

I think I remember reading they used "top 50%", which hardly qualifies as "top players" except in the most literal interpretation.

Even if they'd gone with the top fifth numbers would be way different. Top tenth and better would be HC>all others combined.

top 50%? man, what a huge number.

zewone

I'm was raised in this game by scout rifles: I am always "that far" from the mobs. :D
I really saw the range stat kicking in when first switching from my beloved scout rifles to hand cannons: I was standing so far away that I was doing less damage with the HC than with a SR.
It's awesome that there are guns for different ranges and situations rather than an all-purpose weapon class.

Deku Tree

I'm actually leveling up Mask of the Third Man too, it's actually a perfect exotic for the encounter anyway, but in my experience you'll either die getting back to safety (where you can actually sip some tea while swapping and pick up an orb and swapping back) or make it (with anything from full health to a sliver left) and still have plenty of time.

My raid group sometimes sends a Titan up to Crota with the sword runner to drop a bubble to bring the sword super up in time and protect against boomers. And we also drop a bubble under the boomers in the Ogre Spawn room during Ogres. So wearing Mask of the Third Man would enable me to regen health in both of those spots if needed (which are not at all safe) when it would otherwise be hard to switch armor.

E92 M3

I don't use ARs at all except for Abyss to mess around with Wizards. My point was that PVP should have no bearing on PVE. ARs became even shittier and exotics too.

Qwell

So after finally getting the Abyss Defiant last night, I think I'll just be using it for Wizards... which is still a great thing. Even prior to the nerf AR will face, it just does so much less damage than my Vanquisher VIII ... which I don't use. I was fighting a lower level enemy, but the AD was criting for about 118 and my Vanq would crit for about 180, that is a pretty big difference for an AR.

Bizazedo

This is ostensibly a patch to carve out a space for Pulse Rifles, because they're outclassed at every range in every purpose by every other weapon right now.
Undoubtedly. Agreed. Desperation move? I dunno.

Why do you think there's more cheese in Destiny than in any other game? In Raids and Nightfalls and Weeklies it's important to stay alive. Players are forced to hang back.
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Even if the PvE were easier, people would abuse the game if glitches existed as easily and as well-known as they are now....because they'd still be easier. The % of people who'd use cheese if less bullshit existed....the number would go down, but not nearly by as much as you think.

There's so much cheese because Bungie keeps fucking up, not as a noble protest.

zewone

My raid group sometimes sends a Titan up to Crota with the sword runner to drop a bubble to bring the sword super up in time and protect against boomers. And we also drop a bubble under the boomers in the Ogre Spawn room during Ogres. So wearing Mask of the Third Man would enable me to regen health in both of those spots if needed (which are not at all safe) when it would otherwise be hard to switch armor.
It's a great choice. I was busy last weekend and forgot to upgrade it with Xur. :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That's a really fun start, I love getting to use the sword super.

Shito

It's awesome that there are guns for different ranges and situations rather than an all-purpose weapon class.
Oh I agree with that. My point is that it's already working well in PVE, being that the ranges at which you can initiate a fight are much greater than in PVP.
Basing those ranges around PVP, like they seem to be doing, is a stupid mistake in my opinion.

Hawkian, T-44, and Ltwood Are running it tonight around 8cst. We'll need 3 more. But I'm sure you were thinking earlier.

I'm down if you still need one. That time works for me and I don't mind running it again since some toons only did Deathsinger and Crota

So after finally getting the Abyss Defiant last night, I think I'll just be using it for Wizards... which is still a great thing. Even prior to the nerf AR will face, it just does so much less damage than my Vanquisher VIII ... which I don't use. I was fighting a lower level enemy, but the AD was criting for about 118 and my Vanq would crit for about 180, that is a pretty big difference for an AR.

Finally get your AD and its gets scheduled for a Nerf lol. GG Bungie

since a weapon is stored with information about how much XP has been invested into it and perks locked/unlocked/selected, it's probably more than a single byte affair

Oh yea I'm sure it's more than a byte. But I know they probably have tools to store it at much less. I think it's just storage on the account, and then to actually place it into the vault is super small.

ocean

Banned
top 50%? man, what a huge number.
Never mind, I misremembered. What he said was

"Here’s a breakdown of kills by Primary archetype for the top players [filtered to focus on the top-half of the scoreboard] in Destiny."

Which sounds like the best half of each Fireteam in these modes? Definitely not a proxy for "top players" at all.

With all the changes to Fusion rifles I still think that they need to be the only weapon class to have a damage drop off in both directions.

Like, Fusion rifles have to travel X distance to reach 100% damage. Everything less than X has a negative modifier the further from X it is. Of course, leave the normal damage drop off.

So you would have something like this:

Plan C Damage at
05m = 25% dmg
10m = 50% dmg
15m = 75% dmg
20m = 100% dmg
25m = 100% dmg
30m = 100% dmg
35m = 75% dmg
40m = 50% dmg
45m = 25% dmg

This makes sense to me as all special weapons have a 1HKO zone. Shotguns should have the close range, and sniper the distance. Fusion rifles currently are taking the Shotguns spot plus the medium range niche. This would help solidify shotguns into their niche better.

zewone

I don't use ARs at all except for Abyss to mess around with Wizards. My point was that PVP should have no bearing on PVE. ARs became even shittier and exotics too.
ARs shouldn't be good at range even in PvE. I wouldn't get upset at Bungie if I was using a Universal Remote in PvE and doing terribly; even if it is an exotic. Guns should have their place and times to be the best option. There shouldn't be a weapon class that is jack of all trades in my opinion. I am looking forward to trying pulse rifles when they are viable.

Variety = Good

Top Bottom