• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT17| 17th inning stretch

I am up for a Crota HM run as well. I also have the Crota CP.

Can somebody refresh my memory?

Xur used to have a one time exchange of glimmer for strange coins, iirc. Then Bungie removed it when people were creating new characters to do the exchange.

Am I remembering this right?

yup, an easy fix would have been to just require people to be level 20 to buy a SC. That would have been better.

EL CUCO

Yeah, it was offered once, the very first time a character spoke to him as an introduction to the strange coin currency.

They got rid of it I think the first weekend of the game or maybe his second visit when people spent all weekend making new characters, running them through the first mission to the tower, speaking to Dur to get the coin, then deleting and repeating the process.

The free strange coin now comes in the post either after the black garden mission or on hitti lv20, I don't remember exactly which.
Right. Now I remember them making a real time adjustment to Xur though. This happened during the week of Gjallarhorn, if I'm not mistaken.

The solution is probably more complex than the heavy ammo glitch. Basically any non-precision damage nulls the reload perk. So not only is it hive disruptor but it's also burn and poison damage. It's not a weapon problem it's the entire systems problem. In other words they would have to completely redo how damage dealt is registered, and you can imagine how many things that touches.

Basically as I've been saying the game systems, despite our best efforts to trivialize them, are pretty complex and worse off probably poorly coded given the original team size.

I would think if both perks just ignored white damage and only took the time and yellow numbers into consideration, that would fix the problem. The white numbers shouldn't have ever been a factor anyway. If you hit a body shot with the black hammer, then the reload should be enough to cancel out the perk. Similarly, if you take too long to get another crit shot with the hand cannon, you don't need the extra bullet.

Fair enough, but I personally cannot agree with that philosophy. Encouraging weapon variety is one thing but forcing it is another issue entirely. The initial AR nerf/HC buff I can understand as it was obvious there were problems there. It made HCs a viable class. That encourages variety. Like you, I was pretty much ARs all the time and now I'm mainly a handcannon user.

I can understand the nerf if the weapon was actually better. But they aren't. They really aren't. Anyone who is familiar with the game knows the best way to crucible is pretty much always with a handcannon. Yesterday my 300 attack Fatebringer was bringing down Acolytes (33) in two hits. Or three if my aiming is off. My Abyss Defiant (310 attack) was taking most of the mag. My point is if this philosphy 'we know better than you so stop playing that way' continues, HCs are next on the nerf list. Making people choose another class of weapon 'Cos I the developer don't agree with it' is a terrible way of thinking.

Ugh now ive lost my train of thought and this is way too rambly

I think that comment they made about "Why don't you just buff the weak one instead of nerf the others" was very important and insightful, and I wish people took that more into consideration.

Personally, I've barely PvP'd since The Dark Below came out. After the big weapon patch right before tDB the Time to Kill (TTK) feels like it has increased. I find myself regular 3 shot by hand cannons, sometimes 2 shots, I've even been 1 shot by a hand cannon on more than one occasion. Even if we look at the 3 shot kill, though, I find that I have such little reaction time before I'm dead that I can't fight back. This has sucked the fun out of PvP for me. I loved Halo fights where even if someone got the jump on you, if you knew your shit, you could turn around and tie, maybe even win, the fight. Destiny feels more like CoD to me with it's TTK, which I don't like.

Calling those that don't see the news of more nerfing in PvE to help balance PvP "butt hurt" is uncalled for. Opinions have been shared, and you decided that they weren't your own and are therefore invalid.

That comment was made partially in jest. I wasn't trying to incite anything. That said, I apologize if I made anyone feel like I was attacking them before they even shared their opinion. That was not my intention. I was trying to be playful, but appears I lost that intention through the lack of nuances in text.

E92 M3

Forgot, or don't care. You think they would have at least mentioned it.

Bungie is like: China Don't Care

I don't expect them to fix them.

That would be horrible because my Black Hammer has that green bar :(

The solution is probably more complex than the heavy ammo glitch. Basically any non-precision damage nulls the reload perk. So not only is it hive disruptor but it's also burn and poison damage. It's not a weapon problem it's the entire systems problem. In other words they would have to completely redo how damage dealt is registered, and you can imagine how many things that touches.

Basically as I've been saying the game systems, despite our best efforts to trivialize them, are pretty complex and worse off probably poorly coded given the original team size.

Well, if it's too complex they should just give us something else then. Right their wrongs - a philosophy Bungie seems to be opposed to.

They need to just the Hive bonus damage crit damage when you are landing a crit... is hard to bug fix in their Destiny computer code? Could be...

Why didn't they realize this when designing the guns and perks though? Is it an issue of a disconnect and lack of communication between game designers and computer coders?

Communication between their massive team sizes seems to be another problem. They would have caught this bug the moment someone tested the Black Hammer.

Hey Dhruv! Would you be up for doing hard mode tonight? T-44 and I are going to help one of our friends get through it for the first time, and Id love to have your professional sword skills for the crew. Thinking about 8cst tonight.

Hey LTWood, sorry but I'm done for the day. :-(

stb

Worst CE HM Boss run ever
We did everything right, lag/glitch fucked us over so much

Sword Disappearing, Crota Insta-Rise from kneeling, Crota running into Crystal room, Someone getting booted out of the game after Crota < 50%, Knights coming through Barrier, Thralls entering into crystal room per sword rotation (5/6 show up inside from the bottom), Boomers on opposite side launch barrage even though they are out of aggro range, Swordbearer Insta-Warps from left to right/right to left (heals up way too quickly) and enemies disappearing and reappearing in front of you

We went to orbit to fix this, still had these issues, JESUS!

Not to suggest that Bungie doesn't need to fix these issues, but did you guys try making someone else the host/party leader? Anecdote, but the times where VoG was doing *really* squirrelly stuff (Atheon detain shields on the people that got teleported, insta-healing minotaurs, unplayable defending the confluxes due to healing/warping enemies), making the host someone on a decent *wired* connection helped tremendously.

Again, it may not have been a host issue, and the code should be able to tolerate this stuff and not render this content unplayable, but it's worth a shot when something seems really, really broken.

I guess everything they said just makes sense to me. Pulse rifles need a niche, but in order for them to get one Bungie needs to make room. Only way to do that is to rebalance the other weapons. If ARs and Hand Cannons have to give some of their audience over to Pulse Rifles in order for Pulse Rifles to flourish, then so be it. I'm all for weapon variety.

I know a lot of people get upset their they favorite weapon might be getting knocked down a peg, but honestly, I enjoy the change up. I went from leveling with a pulse rifle, to using auto rifles almost strictly. I jumped ship to Scout Rifles not long after, and nowadays I find myself using hand cannons.

I like the change up. Sometimes its nice to go with the flow, and lets be honest, the average player (read: not us) chooses his weapons based on whats killing them in PvP.

When you get killed by Auto Rifles all the time, you figure that the guys beating your ass must know whats he is doing, so you model your choice after him. Bungie knows that by mixing up the formula, the player's weapon choices will trickle down after time.

I will say that I think a straight up Damage increase is not the way to go about Pulse Rifle buffs, something needs to be done about the stability of every one of those weapons. But I'll let them make their move and see what comes of it. We'll have two new weapon types to play with in the future anyway.

I'm fine with a lot of the changes but the AR nerf seems like a misinterpretation of their statistical data and seems to ignore where they actually are in PvE content. I think it's fair to say that as of the last nerf, and the refresh of weapons for TDB where most of the new auto rifles are Low Impact/High ROF, auto rifles have become largely obsolete in high level PvE play. The exceptions to this is of course Suros, Abyss Defiant, and the Vanquisher and that's largely because they're of the Low ROF/High Impact model (plus Suros is extremely useful in Crota since it can regen life, and AD disorients Wizards). My point being that I very rarely see anyone in high level PvE content using anything but handcannons or scout rifles with those exceptions and Atheon's Epilogue in VoG for obvious reasons.

I also think it's kind of a fool's errand to try to make the shotguns useful in PvE by doing any blanket stat boost. As the game is now, high level play is ENTIRELY based around keeping your enemies at a distance and staying in cover. Enemies hit extremely hard in this game and can easily one or two hit you in seconds. Melee is often jacked even harder with modifiers. Most bosses have a one hit kill stomp when you get too close. In other words if you're in range for a shotgun to be useful in high level PvE youarealreadydead.jpg. You are way better off using a fusion or sniper rifle for extra distance. For shotguns to be useful in PvE, they're going to need to overhaul how they work. Give them all a hardcore stagger or knockdown effect. Give them a huge spread. Give them all the piercing stat similar to Thorn. Something that makes them tactically useful instead of just killing better.

It's so upsetting to see what Bungie is doing with Destiny. I love the core of this game so much and can easily spend an hour walking around Earth shooting at shit. Unfortunately, Bungie refuses to acknowledge the community in a positive way and as a result many people are leaving. Without the community Destiny is nothing - I sure as hell wouldn't be rushing home from work on Tuesdays, waking up early in the morning and staying up late to finish raids if it wasn't for the friends I made playing this game.

COMMUNITY IS EVERYTHING.

We take a huge chunk of our day to play Bungie's game - and they simply don't give a shit. That hurts. Any other developer would love to have a dedicated community like us.

The overwhelming blast of smug that comes out of the weekly updates was hazardous to my health and my keyboards so I stopped reading them. My friends and I were burnt pretty hard by the 'upgrade' path offered for old exotics, it stank of a patrician attitude that my time was theirs to waste and soured the whole game for me. This is not a dev that feels that community feedback is a thing they need take the recent gun balance announcement, for how long have pulse rifles been bottom tier (since the beta for me anyways) and yet it's only now they're looking to adjust them.

There are too many straight forward quality of life issues for this game that Bungie are refusing to even acknowledge beyond 'we hear your wailing' such as inventory space, the excessive load screens caused by the planet->orbit->hub->orbit->planet and many others. Perhaps they are listening maybe these are hard changes but that doesn't excuse the awful communication strategy they have in place of 'say nothing, expect accolades' (although if increasing storage space is a huge engineering challenge their code base must be hot garbage).

The only time I saw any responsiveness was when the expansion level changes were announced which in hindsight sounded like they were listening but was basically 'we listen but we're right and you'll see that when it launches'. There have been no meaningful changes to the awful system they announced then and have stuck with until now nor any further discussion of the complaints.

Defyler

Well I suppose Xurday wasn't a complete waste for me. Rolled motes on the gauntlets and got Don't touch me's for my hunter. Already had mask of the third man and achylophage sym.

Second gauntlet roll was crazy lucky. Got ruin wings for my Titan :)

Just want Xur to sell a jelly horn now

cilonen

Right. Now I remember them making a real time adjustment to Xur though. This happened during the week of Gjallarhorn, if I'm not mistaken.

Yep, it was Gjallarhorn week, so that must have been week two and it was in real time. I remember being pissed because I heard about it late and only managed to get three or so before they fixed it.

You're right though, they can tweak him 'on the fly' if they want to.

Edit: see also the Twitter poll they ran asking what everyone wanted (this was about three weeks after Suros was first offered and the hype was massive) everyone said 'Suros' again, and the next day he turned up with it. They claimed after that they were just interested in what we wanted and hadn't fixed it so the poll winning weapon appeared, but Suros has almost never been seen since (once since then IIRC).

Last night we pulled together a complete group of randoms from LFG and ended up 1-shoting Crota HM which was just amazing. Got the Fang and now i'm officially done with hard mode after just 3 Crota kills total. (all 4 weapons + crux)

After the struggle that was praying for drops in VoG, I still can't believe i'm done with that PoS hard mode encounter. Moving forward, I get to sit back and just run the things I actually enjoy until HoW, while leveling up the rest of my exotic collection.

Feels good man. Feels really good.

I would think if both perks just ignored white damage and only took the time and yellow numbers into consideration, that would fix the problem. The white numbers shouldn't have ever been a factor anyway. If you hit a body shot with the black hammer, then the reload should be enough to cancel out the perk. Similarly, if you take too long to get another crit shot with the hand cannon, you don't need the extra bullet.

I think that comment they made about "Why don't you just buff the weak one instead of nerf the others" was very important and insightful, and I wish people took that more into consideration.

Personally, I've barely PvP'd since The Dark Below came out. After the big weapon patch right before tDB the Time to Kill (TTK) feels like it has increased. I find myself regular 3 shot by hand cannons, sometimes 2 shots, I've even been 1 shot by a hand cannon on more than one occasion. Even if we look at the 3 shot kill, though, I find that I have such little reaction time before I'm dead that I can't fight back. This has sucked the fun out of PvP for me. I loved Halo fights where even if someone got the jump on you, if you knew your shit, you could turn around and tie, maybe even win, the fight. Destiny feels more like CoD to me with it's TTK, which I don't like.

The problem is that most people already consider ARs a 'weak' or weaker weapon. It makes no sense to nerf it even more based on player statistics instead of testing. I have yet to see one complaint about ARs being way OP recently. (Not counting suros as its a single weapon which can and probably will be nerfed separately).

Not to mention a shitty necrochasm is made even shittier...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey Dhruv! Would you be up for doing hard mode tonight? T-44 and I are going to help one of our friends get through it for the first time, and Id love to have your professional sword skills for the crew. Thinking about 8cst tonight.
i can ninja for you guys

Ridwald

What's sad about this, is that it'd actually be awesome of them to do something fun and novel by adding a perk to an otherwise useless exotic to be able to take Crota's sheild down in one close-up hit.

Why an exotic ? :) one guardian with the sword, one guardian to get his focus (possible ?) and you let the four remaining guardians jump behind him and shotgun him to his knee with swordbreakers ... Epic fight or not ? ^^

maxresdefault.jpg

Nuszka

Offtopic:

Someone told me (Rubenov?) that they had replaced their dualshock 4 thumb sticks with xbox one thumb sticks.... I've worn my ds4 down pretty badly, and found some xb1 thumb sticks on amazon for .99 cents. Just ordered them, lets see how this plays out....

Anyone else do this?

I was speaking to you about it. Difference is like day and night , hate the material DS4 thumbsticks are made of (release day controller btw).

More vault space. Just do that first since it should be the easiest. I understand the magnitude of it. For every slot they add that's multiplied by 16 million and counting. So it'll at least be 16 million bytes per item slot assuming it's a single byte. But obviously they have the tools to make it work and aren't working on it.

MrS

Banned
Super Stardust Ultra next week and The Order the week after. Not gonna be on Destiny much in the coming weeks.

The problem is that most people already consider ARs a 'weak' or weaker weapon. It makes no sense to nerf it even more based on player statistics instead of testing. I have yet to see one complaint about ARs being way OP recently. (Not counting suros as its a single weapon which can and probably will be nerfed separately).

Not to mention a shitty necrochasm is made even shittier...

I guess I just see it as an evolving formula. Like at the end of the weapon update when he said "Your ball"

Well, if ARs take too much of a beating, Bungie will both hear about it,and see it, and they'll push ARs back in the other direction.

I guess, I'm not really defending their actions or anything, it's more that I just don't sweat it when it comes to this kind of stuff. The game will change as we play it, the weapons will change, the enemies will change, etc...

As long as Bungie doesn't do something so drastic as to drive their playerbase away (and I don't think that will happen with any of these changes) then it'll be fine.

Jinjo

Alright time for some old skool planet farming. I need relic iron, spinmetal and glimmer. Couls go strike playlist for marks and use that but I feel this is quicker.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
More vault space. Just do that first since it should be the easiest. I understand the magnitude of it. For every slot they add that's multiplied by 16 million and counting. So it'll at least be 16 million bytes per item slot assuming it's a single byte. But obviously they have the tools to make it work and aren't working on it.
since a weapon is stored with information about how much XP has been invested into it and perks locked/unlocked/selected, it's probably more than a single byte affair

Bizazedo

Came to see the reaction to Xur and saw comments about weapon rebalancing. Went back dozens of pages to figure out what I missed (HC range does need nerfed, but AR's are fine imo ), and then saw this comment from Hawk.

heading for another nadir when Xur brings truth tomorrow morning

Sorry, Hawk, but it made me LOL when I knew it was Plan C already. You called it, kind of.

I'm fine with a lot of the changes but the AR nerf seems like a misinterpretation of their statistical data and seems to ignore where they actually are in PvE content. I think it's fair to say that as of the last nerf, and the refresh of weapons for TDB where most of the new auto rifles are Low Impact/High ROF, auto rifles have become largely obsolete in high level PvE play. The exceptions to this is of course Suros, Abyss Defiant, and the Vanquisher and that's largely because they're of the Low ROF/High Impact model (plus Suros is extremely useful in Crota since it can regen life, and AD disorients Wizards). My point being that I very rarely see anyone in high level PvE content using anything but handcannons or scout rifles with those exceptions and Atheon's Epilogue in VoG for obvious reasons.

I also think it's kind of a fool's errand to try to make the shotguns useful in PvE by doing any blanket stat boost. As the game is now, high level play is ENTIRELY based around keeping your enemies at a distance and staying in cover. Enemies hit extremely hard in this game and can easily one or two hit you in seconds. Melee is often jacked even harder with modifiers. Most bosses have a one hit kill stomp when you get too close. In other words if you're in range for a shotgun to be useful in high level PvE youarealreadydead.jpg. You are way better off using a fusion or sniper rifle for extra distance. For shotguns to be useful in PvE, they're going to need to overhaul how they work. Give them all a hardcore stagger or knockdown effect. Give them a huge spread. Give them all the piercing stat similar to Thorn. Something that makes them tactically useful instead of just killing better.

I can see this being awesome. Especially in nightfalls with tonnes of rushing enemies and light switch. I would totally use shotguns if this happened

noomi

I was speaking to you about it. Difference is like day and night , hate the material DS4 thumbsticks are made of (release day controller btw).

Oh haha, that's right, it was you!

I also have a release day controller(s), the thumb sticks are getting slippery and the rubber wearing is feeling annoying on my thumbs now. I ordered 8 of the x1 sticks.... just to have a surplus haha. They should be here next week, I've watched some videos and it doesn't seem too bad to do. Will post results when I get it done, I'm sure it will love it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
As long as Bungie doesn't do something so drastic as to drive their playerbase away (and I don't think that will happen with any of these changes) then it'll be fine.
It doesn't even matter if they do, in the short term. I think i'm starting to turn translucent

the first actual test Bungie really has will come with whatever is sold after House of Wolves, whenever that is
Now that I maxed out Mask of the Third Man I feel like I can run the sword in HM.
Based on your original tip I just swap whenever it's a breathing time and grab an orb and swap back, just one triggers the regen so as long as you make it out of crota-space alive you're golden.
Sorry, Hawk, but it made me LOL when I knew it was Plan C already. You called it, kind of.
lol. not that it really made a notable dent in the reception, but Plan C is actually a truly great weapon, worthy of an exotic slot.

Banshee-44 making a killing these days
This whole "glitch" is a secret plot orchestrated by John DiMaggio, as he gets royalties every time Banshee-44 talks. :p

Sad xur day is sad :/

Even more sad that people are taking a break from destiny or leaving. House of Wolves seems so far, but I trust many of you will be back when new content arrives. Meanwhile I'll be here running roc strikes, and playing every Tuesday.

<3 u dgaf, never change.
we should be PSN buddies.

stb

No, only 10. Someday...

Check out Hawkian's "Life at ~28" guide.

The gist of it, in a post-The Dark Below world (sorry if I'm misrepresenting anything, Hawkian!):

Farm Vanguard/Crucible marks and levels to buy the vendor armor to get you to level 31. Just do as many of the the Vanguard and Crucible bounties as you're inclined to do every day, and grind Vanguard Tiger or Roc strike playlist to max out experience gained and Vanguard marks earned if you're in a hurry.

At 28 you can probably also do Vault of Glass (normal) to earn more Ascendant Shards than you'll know what to do with. You'll also probably get some armor in the raid that you won't then have to buy from the Vanguard/Crucible vendors.

If you haven't done VoG yet, Hawkian here does a "newbie" VoG raid every other week (not this week). You can also take a stab at trying to make a group here.

Jinjo

What lol? Eliminate target event. Psion spawns, I go at him for a few second and then he insta-teleports to the 5th checkpoint! Such bullshit.

Also I feel weird levelling my Oversoul Edict over my new Abyss Defiant. Less happy with me finally getting Monte Carlo now too. :(

Bizazedo

lol. not that it really made a notable dent in the reception, but Plan C is actually a truly great weapon, worthy of an exotic slot.
I'd buy it, but my vault is full and all 3 of my characters only have like two slots free on them in the SW category :(.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Check out Hawkian's "Life at ~28" guide.

The gist of it, in a post-The Dark Below world (sorry if I'm misrepresenting anything, Hawkian!):

Farm Vanguard/Crucible marks and levels to buy the vendor armor to get you to level 31. Just do as many of the the Vanguard and Crucible bounties as you're inclined to do every day, and grind Vanguard Tiger or Roc strike playlist to max out experience gained and Vanguard marks earned if you're in a hurry.

At 28 you can probably also do Vault of Glass (normal) to earn more Ascendant Shards than you'll know what to do with. You'll also probably get some armor in the raid that you won't then have to buy from the Vanguard/Crucible vendors.

If you haven't done VoG yet, Hawkian here does a "newbie" VoG raid every other week (not this week). You can also take a stab at trying to make a group here.
No, that's all good advice and thanks for the multiple shout outs XD

For the vendor armor, buy boots and gloves first as they don't require a Commendation (a token you'll start to accrue once you pass Rank 3 in Vanguard/Crucible/Factions). Save up 13 Strange Coins to buy the first available Exotic Helm from Xur, who comes on Fridays and Saturdays (i.e. now)

I guess I just see it as an evolving formula. Like at the end of the weapon update when he said "Your ball"

Well, if ARs take too much of a beating, Bungie will both hear about it,and see it, and they'll push ARs back in the other direction.

I guess, I'm not really defending their actions or anything, it's more that I just don't sweat it when it comes to this kind of stuff. The game will change as we play it, the weapons will change, the enemies will change, etc...

The point is Bungie shouldn't be 'see-sawing' between nerfs and buffs. Ugh I just can't believe the same guys made Halo....

And I agree on not taking this stuff to heart. If I took this shit seriously and allowed myself to get seriously annoyed beyond a few 'wtf bungie's' I would be outta here faster than necrochasm empties it's mag...

I was just pointing out the reasoning behind the greivances. Bungie now have a track record of fucking with us and being completely oblivious at this point. As it stands im kinda embarrassed by the amount of time I put into what I wouldn't even consider a 'great' game. This community and my own IRL friends are pretty much the only reason I'm sticking around. I'm also beginning to wind down since I have little reason to play anymore compounded by these 'updates'.

zewone

ARs were still way too accurate and are not precision weapons. They should not be killing from the distances they currently are. They remind me of the fusion rifles in that regard. I welcome all the changes. I'm primarily a hand cannon user and even I can admit the range was too good. I didn't even need a sniper rifle when using Hawkmoon or Thorn.

Top Bottom