• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT17| 17th inning stretch

ich00

Hawkian, T-44, and Ltwood Are running it tonight around 8cst. We'll need 3 more. But I'm sure you were thinking earlier.

If you guys need either a 32 Titan or Warlock, I can join if you don't mind. I've done all hard mode up to Crota, just never had a group to get him yet.

What do you mean by this?

It has been said that the number of active players has been declining. This would seem to mean that fewer players will be buying DLC going forward. While Activision has already broken even on the game, they're now in ROI mode with investors to see what they can suck out of the remainder of the project's life.

It becomes a question of resource management. Do we commit time and money to maintaining the player base or do we leave a skeleton crew on and move to greener pastures? Based on what I'm observing, it appears to be the latter.

That part of my comment was essentially meant to say, "they see the writing on the wall."

zewone

With all the changes to Fusion rifles I still think that they need to be the only weapon class to have a damage drop off in both directions.

Like, Fusion rifles have to travel X distance to reach 100% damage. Everything less than X has a negative modifier the further from X it is. Of course, leave the normal damage drop off.

So you would have something like this:

Plan C Damage at
05m = 25% dmg
10m = 50% dmg
15m = 75% dmg
20m = 100% dmg
25m = 100% dmg
30m = 100% dmg
35m = 75% dmg
40m = 50% dmg
45m = 25% dmg

This makes sense to me as all special weapons have a 1HKO zone. Shotguns should have the close range, and sniper the distance. Fusion rifles currently are taking the Shotguns spot plus the medium range niche. This would help solidify shotguns into their niche better.
I'm behind this 100%.

Jinjo

I would suggest leveling it up until you unlock the perks. It's great for wizards.

Yeah, but how often do you come across those? People just avoid the wizards in HM Crota now. I'm just levelling the last of my stuff to get all my characters ready for HoW. No wizards there.

Hunter raid boots, Oversoul Edict, Word of Crota and a second Black Hammer are all that remain to be levelled.

Shito

ARs shouldn't be good at range even in PvE. I wouldn't get upset at Bungie if I was using a Universal Remote in PvE and doing terribly; even if it is an exotic. Guns should have their place and times to be the best option. There shouldn't be a weapon class that is jack of all trades in my opinion. I am looking forward to trying pulse rifles when they are viable.

Variety = Good
The problem with that is that PVE is actually punishing you for switching weapon during a mission, ie for adapting to the situation, by removing you some ammos. You are therefore more than encouraged to use a weapon that will fit well with all the encounters scenarios you know you will come across.

Lnkn52

Yeah, but how often do you come across those? People just avoid the wizards in HM Crota now. I'm just levelling the last of my stuff to get all my characters ready for HoW. No wizards there.

Hunter raid boots, Oversoul Edict, Word of Crota and a second Black Hammer are all that remain to be levelled.

That's what I've been doing in general, I level up these new guns until their perks are unlocked. I don't bother with the last 4 nodes unless I really feel it's worth the exp.

Dazzler

will log in tonight and purchase Plan C, but I've got the new episode of the Game of Thrones game to play, so that'll be all my Destiny for the evening

Really wish I had new shit to do in this game. I'm literally only playing to collect exotics at this point. Can't even get to 32 because CE has literally only dropped Radiant Energies for me the last two weeks and I'm not arsed levelling up Eris

ARs shouldn't be good at range even in PvE. I wouldn't get upset at Bungie if I was using a Universal Remote in PvE and doing terribly; even if it is an exotic. Guns should have their place and times to be the best option. There shouldn't be a weapon class that is jack of all trades in my opinion. I am looking forward to trying pulse rifles when they are viable.

Variety = Good

And they aren't compared to a scout rifle. Pulse rifles are technically more accurate as well, they just don't hit hard hard enough to make it worth it most of the time. Where all the weapons sit in the spectrum right now range wise is pretty good, it's just that pulse rifles need a buff and shotguns are never going to be useful for high level PvE because of how the fundamental enemy damage works. Hand cannons are a little debatable which is why I'm not complaining about them.

E92 M3

Variety = Good

Sure variety is good, but not at the expense of other weapons. I don't like pulse rifles and ARs - so won't use them. Have a preference towards hard-hitting weapons like HC and Scouts. All weapons should be viable in some form. I'm not saying they should all kill from long-range, but should be viable and fun. Right now, we have tons of weapons that are just shit - including exotics.

Jinjo

That's what I've been doing in general, I level up these new guns until their perks are unlocked. I don't bother with the last 4 nodes unless I really feel it's worth the exp.

I love having those yellow borders on all my guns though.

Nuszka

Already feeling Destiny withdraws, feels weird playing other games. Don't think i will last that long, might do some roc strikes tonight when i get back from work.

The problem with that is that PVE is actually punishing you for switching weapon during a mission, ie for adapting to the situation, by removing you some ammos. You are therefore more than encouraged to use a weapon that will fit well with all the encounters scenarios you know you will come across.

Hadn't really thought about it this way, but you are correct. The loss of ammo on weapon switch definitely deters adapting your loadout based on the encounter.

Was even worse in beta when you lost the entire ammo reserve and not just half.

LordofPwn

Man, if only the raid gear only really worked well in the raid you got it from.
Example:
VoG Gear makes it so that you do more damage to vex and take less damage to vex (equivalent to an additional light level with a full set).

This way you could have a level 32 with a full crotas raid armor essentially be a 33 in the Crota raid, but in the next reef raid you would only be 32.

The reef raid could be same level as crota's raid or maybe an additional level higher, which would be nullified by having a full raid set. This would also make exotics more interesting as they would give you light but wouldn't help with the enemy damage aspect. you could also apply this to the weapons, but it seems armor has more impact on damage than the guns power rating... because reasons...

Just a thought to fix their broken system.

Also xur needs to die. id rather him not show up than to bring this weak stuff...

Shito

And they aren't compared to a scout rifle. Pulse rifles are technically more accurate as well, they just don't hit hard hard enough to make it worth it most of the time. Where all the weapons sit in the spectrum right now range wise is pretty good, it's just that pulse rifles need a buff and shotguns are never going to be useful for high level PvE because of how the fundamental enemy damage works. Hand cannons are a little debatable which is why I'm not complaining about them.
I totally agree with this.
I would also add that range should factor more in the secondary weapon decision than in the primary one. Primaries are for your base damage, secondaries are where you make the range choice, and heavy are a choice between sustained damage or high burst.

Lnkn52

I love having those yellow borders on all my guns though.

411Dt0m4skL._SY300_.jpg

Use this exotic highlighter and draw squares on your tv. PROBLEM SOLVED.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hadn't really thought about it this way, but you are correct. The loss of ammo on weapon switch definitely deters adapting your loadout based on the encounter.

Was even worse in beta when you lost the entire ammo reserve and not just half.
I've always felt strongly that you were encouraged to select your loadout specifically for the mission at hand at the outset based on your foreknowledge, rather than swap mid-mission.

Having an Ice Breaker alongside a bevy of good special weapons sort of ensures that you can do so at will if you want to, however.
Also xur needs to die. id rather him not show up than to bring this weak stuff...
what if I told you there were people buying their first-ever exotic this weekend?

Dazzler

It irks me more than it should that I have a fully levelled black hammer and it doesn't have a yellow box

fix that shit, Bungie

Shito

I've always felt strongly that you were encouraged to select your loadout specifically for the mission at hand at the outset based on your foreknowledge, rather than swap mid-mission.

Having an Ice Breaker alongside a bevy of good special weapons sort of ensures that you can do so at will if you want to, however.
I think their main reason for having that mechanism was to encourage people to take "roles" in a fireteam. You are not supposed to switch to a sniper rifle at one point, but to have one guy take the role of the sniper, while another one is the fusion rifle guy, and so on.
Doesn't work quite well with the flexibility in the number of players required to run a mission / strike, though.

I was very hesitant for the longest time to switch weapon during a mission, but ever since I've started not caring about losing ammos that much, I found I had way more fun switching my secondary and heavy to adapt to different moments in a strike.

LTWood12

I'm down if you still need one. That time works for me and I don't mind running it again since some toons only did Deathsinger and Crota

If you guys need either a 32 Titan or Warlock, I can join if you don't mind. I've done all hard mode up to Crota, just never had a group to get him yet.

Darryl you're in, and Ich00 you can be an alt if someone doesn't show. Need your psn ich.

I totally agree with this.
I would also add that range should factor more in the secondary weapon decision than in the primary one. Primaries are for your base damage, secondaries are where you make the range choice, and heavy are a choice between sustained damage or high burst.

Yep, that would be a good philosophy. Your primary should be more about your play style (do you like to spray and pray with an AR, or be more methodical and crit shot with HC), and your secondary should be more about range.

PSN Crota Full run HM:

1. Raybunzy Titan 32
2. Rasstuppen Warlock 32
3. Ourobolus Warlock 32

I'm down for right now. PSN: Darryl_M_R, level 32 hunter (knows how to run the sword)

Darryl you're in, and Ich00 you can be an alt if someone doesn't show. Need your psn ich.

Sounds good. I will be on by then and like I said I still need to run parts of it but so I'm happy I can join you guys for the full run. If you prefer to have me swapped out just let me know (we can see if everyone shows up and if you want one of the alts to come in).

noomi

Had an interesting talk with some destiny players the other day, curious on what you guys might think about it...

We all assume that Bungie stealth nerfed the crux of crota drop rate, right?

Seems they over-buffed the drop rate on the 2nd week where everyone in my hard mode fireteam received it, and now people cannot get it to drop as frequently.... As is it's a terrible weapon anyway, but I just can't understand what the hell happened with the drop rate...

E92 M3

Had an interesting talk with some destiny players the other day, curious on what you guys might think about it...

Seems they over-buffed the drop rate on the 2nd week where everyone in my hard mode fireteam received it, and now people cannot get it to drop as frequently.... As is it's a terrible weapon anyway, but I just can't understand what the hell happened with the drop rate...

That's what I've been thinking. It's been dropping a lot less....though on one stream a team got 4 crux drops.

Nuszka

Seems that way, have not seen a single drop this week.

Top Bottom