• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT17| 17th inning stretch

noomi

That's what I've been thinking. It's been dropping a lot less....though on one stream a team got 4 crux drops.

Seems that way, have not seen a single drop this week.

Either that or noone is talking about it anymore since everyone already got one?

What happens if you dismantle the Crux? Do you get anything?

I actually had two drop for me in one day, this way the 2nd week of the hard raid. I dismantled mine and got..... nothing out of it lol. Just "poof" gone :p

E92 M3

Either that or noone is talking about it anymore since everyone already got one?

I actually had two drop for me in one day, this way the 2nd week of the hard raid. I dismantled mine and got..... nothing out of it lol. Just "poof" gone :p

I didn't get a single Crux in 6 kills. I have a feeling they increased the rarity because people were saying they would quit once they get it lol. Now I might not get it for a long time.

That said, it could just be speculation; you were very lucky to get 2.

The point is Bungie shouldn't be 'see-sawing' between nerfs and buffs. Ugh I just can't believe the same guys made Halo....

And I agree on not taking this stuff to heart. If I took this shit seriously and allowed myself to get seriously annoyed beyond a few 'wtf bungie's' I would be outta here faster than necrochasm empties it's mag...

I was just pointing out the reasoning behind the greivances. Bungie now have a track record of fucking with us and being completely oblivious at this point. As it stands im kinda embarrassed by the amount of time I put into what I wouldn't even consider a 'great' game. This community and my own IRL friends are pretty much the only reason I'm sticking around. I'm also beginning to wind down since I have little reason to play anymore compounded by these 'updates'.
Every Halo game was chock-full of balancing issues that took an incredibly long time to fix, if at all. Personally, I'm ecstatic that Bungie can regularly update Destiny at this level of detail. I may not agree with some of the decision based on my own personal feelings, but I've pretty much grown to appreciate the changes that they've made so far (disclosure: I have no Mythoclast).

Sure :) psn is noomi85

I'm all caught up for the week, but if I'm later and you need a sword runner shoot me an invite and I'll gladly help out.
coolio, I'll add you this weekend.

I didn't get a single Crux in 6 kills. I have a feeling they increased the rarity because people were saying they would quit once they get it lol. Now I might not get it for a long time.

That said, it could just be speculation; you were very lucky to get 2.

I'm in the same boat. I haven't seen one yet.

Every Halo game was chock-full of balancing issues that took an incredibly long time to fix, if at all. Personally, I'm ecstatic that Bungie can regularly update Destiny at this level of detail. I may not agree with some of the decision based on my own personal feelings, but I've pretty much grown to appreciate the changes that they've made so far (disclosure: I have no Mythoclast).

Not to mention there were some games where their balancing was so bad that they literally had to wait for the next game to come out to really tackle it. (e.g. Halo 1 Pistol, Halo 2 Rocket Launcher)

i sort of hope so, but we'll see

Me too, man. I love Destiny despite all of the perceived flaws. Frankly, I still have a lot of hope for the game. I'm hopeful that at some point our complaints will not fall on the deaf ears of developers and coders but rather on the piqued ears of the dollar-focused suits. While unfortunate, it appears to be the only way any material change will be affected.

Lnkn52

Me too, man. I love Destiny despite all of the perceived flaws. Frankly, I still have a lot of hope for the game. I'm hopeful that at some point our complaints will not fall on the deaf ears of developers and coders but rather on the piqued ears of the dollar-focused suits. While unfortunate, it appears to be the only way any material change will be affected.

I want more story.

LordofPwn

what if I told you there were people buying their first-ever exotic this weekend?

I know, hes a great resource early on in your adventure, but now hes only useful if he has heavy synth or happens to sell an item he's never sold before, or an engram. how many weeks has it been since he's sold chest engram, or heavy synth?

I don't think i've used him for like 3 weeks now. Stopped running heroic strikes cause i don't need any more coins. /rant

Good job on sword last night btw.

Bizazedo

what if I told you there were people buying their first-ever exotic this weekend?

Guys, Hawk is right. Xur isn't for us and getting all worked up over him is kind of useless. He's there to help the newbs, as another way for them to acquire gear and grind for. How many of you have over 100 coins, or could easily, if you just kept grinding weeklies every week?

Probably most of us.

That being said, a lot of the post Xur WTF'S! could probably go away if the loot wasn't 100% RNG with two exceptions....i.e., Red Death can drop here, Hard Light here, etc....

But, alas...

(I still want Red Death).

TheOddOne

I know that feel.

I know, hes a great resource early on in your adventure, but now hes only useful if he has heavy synth or happens to sell an item he's never sold before, or an engram. how many weeks has it been since he's sold chest engram, or heavy synth?

I don't think i've used him for like 3 weeks now. Stopped running heroic strikes cause i don't need any more coins. /rant

Good job on sword last night btw.

You need to understand the true purpose of Xur.

Xur isn't there as a nice gift for those of us that play all the time. Xur is literally there to pull in the casual group on the weekends. Here is a rough estimate of how Xur was born:

Bungie Dev 1: We need something that really bring in the weekend crowds.
Bungie Dev 2: Well, we could do Double XP weekends again?
Bungie Dev 3: That would cause players to eat through content too quickly.
BD1: What about a vender that only shows up on weekends that sells rare stuff?
BD2: Sure, and we'll give him his own currency that you'll have to earn throughout the week.
BD3: And we'll randomize his inventory so they'll never know what to expect and they'll have that as a reason to log in and check.

BOOM! Xur was born. He's there to drive casual player attendance. He's not for us, it's as simple as that.

Ask yourself, what would it have taken for you to be happy with Xur's inventory this week? What about the week after that? And after that? What about 5 or 6 weeks later? Would you care anymore? Would Xur have anything that you didn't already have at that point?

Bringing casuals in on the weekend also keeps casuals from playing other games on the weekend, which keeps people playing this game, and not something else. Regular players are going to have a hard time justifying a new game purchase when they know they're still logging into Destiny on the weekends and playing for a few hours. Why bother buying something new when they see themselves still putting time into this game?

TL;DR Xur is a marketing team's dream.

Guys, Hawk is right. Xur isn't for us and getting all worked up over him is kind of useless. He's there to help the newbs, as another way for them to acquire gear and grind for. How many of you have over 100 coins, or could easily, if you just kept grinding weeklies every week?

Probably most of us.

That being said, a lot of the post Xur WTF'S! could probably go away if the loot wasn't 100% RNG with two exceptions....i.e., Red Death can drop here, Hard Light here, etc....

But, alas...

(I still want Red Death).

Heavy ammo would of been welcomed, EVERYONE loves heavy ammo. 1k a pack + heavy ammo bug = not cool.

joecanada

Hey all,

does anyone use supergood advice / thunderlord a lot? is there a clear winner here in terms of PVP and PVE content? I just got both recently but haven't levelled either, trying to decide which to level first.

also they are both fire i believe so will probably only carry one.

Not to mention there were some games where their balancing was so bad that they literally had to wait for the next game to come out to really tackle it. (e.g. Halo 1 Pistol, Halo 2 Rocket Launcher)
At least there was no matchmaking at the time of Halo 1, pistol would have been the only weapon anyone used.

I know that feel.
At least we don't have the first hand knowledge of what once was.

Hey all,

does anyone use supergood advice / thunderlord a lot? is there a clear winner here in terms of PVP and PVE content? I just got both recently but haven't levelled either, trying to decide which to level first.

Firstly, Thunderlord is Arc damage and Super Good Advice is Solar damage.

I've sharded every SGA that I've received via bounty, but recently found out that it's a great exotic for Oracles in VoG. Since the perk is to return almost all missed shots back to the magazine, shooting oracles seems to technically be 'missing' shots.

First hand knowledge: Thunderlord is my favorite weapon to use in the game, and I have a fully leveled Gjallarhorn.

Every Halo game was chock-full of balancing issues that took an incredibly long time to fix, if at all.

That got me thinking. Bungie has been trying to balance these same weapons for almost 15 years, and they've never gotten more than one right at a time. Here's my take on these weapons through the years:

oO4cXEu.png

When Destiny first launched I was marveling that for the first time Bungie had made Hand Cannons and Auto Rifles, not just both viable, but fun and effective. Time will tell with this patch, but I really hate PvE nerfs just to "encourage diversity".

Dazzler

Xur is pretty much going to disappoint each week until he sells heavy ammo synths or Ballerhorn

I'm still jonesing for a Suros, so I'd be happy with that too

That got me thinking. Bungie has been trying to balance these same weapons for almost 15 years, and they've never gotten more than one right at a time. Here's my take on these weapons through the years:

oO4cXEu.png

When Destiny first launched I was marveling that for the first time Bungie had made Hand Cannons and Auto Rifles, not just both viable, but fun and effective. Time will tell with this patch, but I really hate PvE nerfs just to "encourage diversity".

Do you not consider the Carbine from Halo 3 a "Scout Rifle"?

Also the AR in Halo 3 was better than a 2. :p That thing was awesome.

joecanada

You need to understand the true purpose of Xur.

Xur isn't there as a nice gift for those of us that play all the time. Xur is literally there to pull in the casual group on the weekends. Here is a rough estimate of how Xur was born:

Bungie Dev 1: We need something that really bring in the weekend crowds.
Bungie Dev 2: Well, we could do Double XP weekends again?
Bungie Dev 3: That would cause players to eat through content too quickly.
BD1: What about a vender that only shows up on weekends that sells rare stuff?
BD2: Sure, and we'll give him his own currency that you'll have to earn throughout the week.
BD3: And we'll randomize his inventory so they'll never know what to expect and they'll have that as a reason to log in and check.

BOOM! Xur was born. He's there to drive casual player attendance. He's not for us, it's as simple as that.

Ask yourself, what would it have taken for you to be happy with Xur's inventory this week? What about the week after that? And after that? What about 5 or 6 weeks later? Would you care anymore? Would Xur have anything that you didn't already have at that point?

Bringing casuals in on the weekend also keeps casuals from playing other games on the weekend, which keeps people playing this game, and not something else. Regular players are going to have a hard time justifying a new game purchase when they know they're still logging into Destiny on the weekends and playing for a few hours. Why bother buying something new when they see themselves still putting time into this game?

TL;DR Xur is a marketing team's dream.

ya you are definitely right here. My friends who just started playing are always pumped up by xur, but for me it's like saturday before I even go look at what he has....

I just recently decided to make a bad juju/obsidian mind build and so I want xur to have obsidian mind... the helmet engram failed me big time last time so I check every time, curse xur under my breath and then continue on.... lol

Xur: "did you check my wares this week"
Aldous Snow " I was gonna do that, but then I just carried on living my life"

ich00

Hey all,

SGA for Oracle killing in VoG / Oversoul killing in Crota, Thunderlord for all else. I have both and that's what I've found I use them for. In all honesty my SGA usually is just sitting in my vault unused. I haven't tired either in PVP, I would imagine Thunderlord is pretty useful there too.

ya you are definitely right here. My friends who just started playing are always pumped up by xur, but for me it's like saturday before I even go look at what he has....

I just recently decided to make a bad juju/obsidian mind build and so I want xur to have obsidian mind... the helmet engram failed me big time last time so I check every time, curse xur under my breath and then continue on.... lol

Xur: "did you check my wares this week"
Aldous Snow " I was gonna do that, but then I just carried on living my life"

I'm so sorry. :(

Last time he sold helmet engrams I bought 3. I got 3 obsidian minds.

joecanada

At least there was no matchmaking at the time of Halo 1, pistol would have been the only weapon anyone used.

At least we don't have the first hand knowledge of what once was.

Firstly, Thunderlord is Arc damage and Super Good Advice is Solar damage.

I've sharded every SGA that I've received via bounty, but recently found out that it's a great exotic for Oracles in VoG. Since the perk is to return almost all missed shots back to the magazine, shooting oracles seems to technically be 'missing' shots.

First hand knowledge: Thunderlord is my favorite weapon to use in the game, and I have a fully leveled Gjallarhorn.

Ah thanks, I was thinking they were the same but now I think what I had thought was will I ever use super good a over gjallahorn? No

However, Good to know about Thunderlord, I will level that baby immediately, thanks. also glad it's arc because the song of ir yut is a piece of shit really.

oO4cXEu.png

The upside is that, if it doesn't work out the way Bungie intended, it'll be fixed relatively quickly.

I see you never played Halo 1: PC.
You would be correct. :)

EL CUCO

Yep, it was Gjallarhorn week, so that must have been week two and it was in real time. I remember being pissed because I heard about it late and only managed to get three or so before they fixed it.

You're right though, they can tweak him 'on the fly' if they want to.

Edit: see also the Twitter poll they ran asking what everyone wanted (this was about three weeks after Suros was first offered and the hype was massive) everyone said 'Suros' again, and the next day he turned up with it. They claimed after that they were just interested in what we wanted and hadn't fixed it so the poll winning weapon appeared, but Suros has almost never been seen since (once since then IIRC).
Bingo. I don't understand why they don't just pop in Heavy ammo this week. A quick glance on the interwebz would show how dissapointed people are and It would cure some of the headache players are having right now. Instead it's just piling on...

Asking for Gjallarhornis one thing, but heavy ammo? C'mon Bungie. Throw us a bone here.

Top Bottom