• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT17| 17th inning stretch

Future

That got me thinking. Bungie has been trying to balance these same weapons for almost 15 years, and they've never gotten more than one right at a time. Here's my take on these weapons through the years:

oO4cXEu.png

When Destiny first launched I was marveling that for the first time Bungie had made Hand Cannons and Auto Rifles, not just both viable, but fun and effective. Time will tell with this patch, but I really hate PvE nerfs just to "encourage diversity".

Assault rifles have always been stupid. Too be honest I'm not sure why it takes them this long to roll out changes. It's not even the damage that is bad, it's the range. Sniping across the battlefield with an AR has always been a joke I don't remember the AR in halo feeling like this: it's the new iron sights that encouraged this design I'm sure

They tried nerfing ARs by just making them crappy with crap stability and low impact. But that made them a joke. The solution is better stability, but higher damage drop off at high range, which finally they seem to be doing. High rate of fire ARs should absolutely shred at close ranges

The real reason they probably designed all the guns with high ranges is due to the shotgun problem in PvE. Namely that enemies are way to dangerous up close to make close range tactics viable. They also need to change their enemy design a bit to encourage viable close range play. People laugh at arson priest getting into stagger locks from snipers.... I should be doing the same with shotguns at that close range. And enemies don't need 1 hit melee kills.... Or at least we don't need as many enemies that have them

Fusion rifles have spread across many at far ranges actually seems awesome if done right. No cheap one shots, but an FR user can soften a bunch of players that are near each other at range

Asking again:

Due to the pulse buff, what is everyone's favorite pulse rifle (exotic or otherwise) in the game? Or, what do people think is the best pulse rifle in the game?

Shito

To the "Xur is there for beginners" argument: can't he be for anyone, though?
Making him sell heavy ammos is an easy gesture towards "hardcore" players currently tackling on HM CE. And why not add some things to his stocks, like some purple engram and a reroll option like in Iron Banner? That would help please the hardcore crowd, and act as a nice coin sinker.
I really don't think dedicating a endgame currency to "beginners" is really the best of ideas.

My Last Word, Vex and Hawkmoon run circles... LAPS around any AR user in the Crucible, including Suroses.

So much this. Id put my Hawkmoon, Thorn, Vex against any AR in the crucible. Pretty sure I win more 1 v 1 firefights vs ARs than I lose.

Edit: for whatever its worth, I consider myself to be a fairly mediocre PvP player.

joecanada

My Last Word, Vex and Hawkmoon run circles... LAPS around any AR user in the Crucible, including Suroses.

thats the flaw with their system.. most people don't want to learn to use a handcannon, it takes some practice... they want to jump in and shoot stuff. hence autorifles will always be the go to unless they are absolute crap.

they didn't need a nerf, if you have a good handcannon you already smoke every AR user.

To the "Xur is there for beginners" argument: can't he be for anyone, though?
Making him sell heavy ammos is an easy gesture towards "hardcore" players currently tackling on HM CE. And why not add some things to his stocks, like some purple engram and a reroll option like in Iron Banner? That would help please the hardcore crowd, and act as a nice coin sinker.
I really don't think dedicating a endgame currency to "beginners" is really the best of ideas.

Having him constantly sell heavy ammo synths is a fix to a problem that isn't always going to be here.

It's like how 2 months ago we were all begging for ways to spend our glimmer, and now we are struggling to keep money in our wallets.

joecanada

Asking again:

Due to the pulse buff, what is everyone's favorite pulse rifle (exotic or otherwise) in the game? Or, what do people think is the best pulse rifle in the game?

i'm hearing red death but I don't have one... mida multitool has gotten a lot of praise before the patch and scouts will probably continue to be solid choices anyway, I doubt the patch will make pulses god tier...

anyone try praedyths timepiece for anything substantial?

Mindlog

With all the changes to Fusion rifles I still think that they need to be the only weapon class to have a damage drop off in both directions.

Like, Fusion rifles have to travel X distance to reach 100% damage. Everything less than X has a negative modifier the further from X it is. Of course, leave the normal damage drop off.

So you would have something like this:

Plan C Damage at
05m = 25% dmg
10m = 50% dmg
15m = 75% dmg
20m = 100% dmg
25m = 100% dmg
30m = 100% dmg
35m = 75% dmg
40m = 50% dmg
45m = 25% dmg

This makes sense to me as all special weapons have a 1HKO zone. Shotguns should have the close range, and sniper the distance. Fusion rifles currently are taking the Shotguns spot plus the medium range niche. This would help solidify shotguns into their niche better.
I really don't like this idea. That kind of artificial pigeonholing is unnecessary. That's what charge time, impact, rate of fire, reload, magazine size and stability are for. Shotguns already own their pvp niche and then some (Autofire/Shot Package.) Being forced to resort to a shotgun or else would be awful.

On ARs. I don't really care. I only used Suros for the headshot bounty and I only use the Abyss Defiant in PvE because I already have it leveled. Assault Rifles will eventually be getting a PvE buff. This is as obvious as the PvE shotgun buff. It's as obvious as the Thorn PvE buff. It's as obvious as knowing that buff would mess with PvP. It's as obvious as losing perks on an exotic would make it worse. At the very least it will start with the Dumpster Fire tier Necrochasm. The only AR I see consistently in Crota's End is Suros and that's mainly for the healing. Most players are using a Scout with Outlaw/Firefly, Fatebringer or something along those lines.

i'm hearing red death but I don't have one... mida multitool has gotten a lot of praise before the patch and scouts will probably continue to be solid choices anyway, I doubt the patch will make pulses god tier...

anyone try praedyths timepiece for anything substantial?

I used the timepiece for quite a few nightfalls. It has the same problem most PRs have. It strays to far from your initial shot.

Either you aim for the head and your 2nd and/or 3rd bullet misses entirely. Or you aim for the chest, and hope your 2nd and/or 3rd bullet strays into headshot territory.

The Oversoul Edict seems a bit better, but I still don't like how much it strays. Maybe the Stranger's Rifle spoiled me in the beginning or something, I don't know.

Shito

Having him constantly sell heavy ammo synths is a fix to a problem that isn't always going to be here.

It's like how 2 months ago we were all begging for ways to spend our glimmer, and now we are struggling to keep money in our wallets.
Thus my suggestion of having him sell something that could appeal to players that really have nothing better to do with their coins anymore than to try and chase that perfect roll. :)

Xur is pretty much going to disappoint each week until he sells heavy ammo synths or Ballerhorn

I'm still jonesing for a Suros, so I'd be happy with that too

My wishlist continues to be:

Gjallarhorn
SUROS Regime
Monte Carlo
Hawkmoon
Heart of the Praxic Fire

...and yet Xur continues to sell utter crap aside from the Ice Breaker week.

Rubenov

On ARs. I don't really care. I only used Suros for the headshot bounty and I only use the Abyss Defiant in PvE because I already have it leveled. Assault Rifles will eventually be getting a PvE buff. This is as obvious as the PvE shotgun buff. It's as obvious as the Thorn PvE buff. It's as obvious as knowing that buff would mess with PvP. It's as obvious as losing perks on an exotic would make it worse. At the very least it will start with the Dumpster Fire tier Necrochasm. The only AR I see consistently in Crota's End is Suros and that's mainly for the healing. Most players are using a Scout with Outlaw/Firefly, Fatebringer or something along those lines.

They haven't even implemented their incoming third (?) nerf and you're already certain they will be buffed?

I really don't like this idea. That kind of artificial pigeonholing is unnecessary. That's what charge time, impact, rate of fire, reload, magazine size and stability are for. Shotguns already own their pvp niche and then some (Autofire/Shot Package.) Being forced to resort to a shotgun or else would be awful.

But Charge time is an easily combated stat. If you've used a FR for a few matches you know how to flirt with the charge up so that it fires as soon as you need it to. Impact and rate of fire usually aren't necessary since a 1HKO happens more often than not. Finally, FRs beat shotguns on Reload speed and magazine size in practically ever scenario.

There is very little, if anything, a shotgun can do better than a FR at this point in time.

Thus my suggestion of having him sell something that could appeal to players that really have nothing better to do with their coins anymore than to try and chase that perfect roll. :)

Bungie needs to introduce some high investment/minimal improvement items.

Like imagine if Xur sold a Sparrow pack that increased a sparrows total speed by 1%.

However, each time you bought one of these the price for it increased by 200%. Of course, you'd still want a cap on it at like 10% over normal. But that's the kind of stuff they need to do to keep the high volume players interested. They need goals, too. You just have to make sure their goals don't leave the casual players at too much of a disadvantage.

Deku Tree

I actually had two drop for me in one day, this way the 2nd week of the hard raid. I dismantled mine and got..... nothing out of it lol. Just "poof" gone :p

I have two Husk and one Eidon maxed. I am trying to decide if I should destroy the two husk. I feel like I should. Even if I get three Crux eventually it doesn't feel worth it to max husk and then Eidon just for another exotic shard since I already have an abundance of exotic shards and the Necro is trash tier.

E92 M3

Guys, Hawk is right. Xur isn't for us and getting all worked up over him is kind of useless. He's there to help the newbs, as another way for them to acquire gear and grind for. How many of you have over 100 coins, or could easily, if you just kept grinding weeklies every week?

Probably most of us.

That being said, a lot of the post Xur WTF'S! could probably go away if the loot wasn't 100% RNG with two exceptions....i.e., Red Death can drop here, Hard Light here, etc....

But, alas...

(I still want Red Death).

Seems like nothing is really for "us" except [glitchy] raids lol.

GOT MY FIRST BALLERHORN ON DEATHSINGER RIGHT NOW!!

Congrats!

Rubenov

I have two Husk and one Eidon maxed. I am trying to decide if I should destroy the two husk. I feel like I should. Even if I get three Crux eventually it doesn't feel worth it to max husk and then Eidon just for another exotic shard since I already have an abundance of exotic shards and the Necro is trash tier.

I'd say get rid of that white crap that occupies precious space in your inventory

Congrats man! Now equip it while in the tower and watch the groupies flock

I will my friend, I will. I'm glad. I can finally use up all my 30 5k bounties and public events to level this bad boy and then delete my Hunter alt and make a Titan

Congrats!

I was in the tower this morning as a 32 with the horn equipped and I got a bunch of FRs and a party invite from randoms Lolz.

Well deserved!

Congrats!!

Heavy ammo glitch is your friend :)

Thank you all

Seems like nothing is really for "us" except [glitchy] raids lol.

We get elemental Primary weapons, and a large pool of exotics to play around with.

Where other people are still trying to reach certain light levels, we're replacing our gear with the same item that has better stats.

It's not much, but this is what we've got over the average/casual player.

Mindlog

They haven't even implemented their incoming third (?) nerf and you're already certain they will be buffed?
100%
Only a matter of time. The charts they posted all look like lagging indicators.
But Charge time is an easily combated stat. If you've used a FR for a few matches you know how to flirt with the charge up so that it fires as soon as you need it to.
Are you assuming I haven't?
Get rid of Shot Package.
If FRs are really that troublesome then get rid of them as well. Giving them voodoo damage is just saying they're badly designed in the first place and don't belong.

RedFury

Anyone on X1 willing to help do the weekly? Just started on X1 version(have on ps4) at lvl 28 need 2 coins to get glass house and get to lvl 30.

Edit: RedFury03

Top Bottom