• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT17| 17th inning stretch

Mindlog

Meh on Vex. Not bad, but generally not worth my exotic slot.
Necrochasm... proof attack rating means nothing.
Bungie said the vex was going to be your obvious first choice weapon to bring into Crota's end on Dec. 9. It wasn't even anywhere close to that...
Well that part is true.
Fatebringer is the VoG raid weapon to covet.

Namikaze1

Past four-five daily missions have been Hive related. I'm sick of the hive!

As much as I hate to admit it, I rather face the Cabal doing the phalanx formation than the Hive for the umpteenth time.

Lnkn52

sure, it absolutely works. Obsidian Mind/Bad Juju (spec Soul Rip, Embrace the Void) Voidwalker is a monstrous Roc Strike build.

Bad Juju is a great weapon now, but for little having to do with being a pulse rifle; it's full-auto for starts. Red Death is the best pulse rifley pulse rifle for doing pulse rifle things, and outclasses Bad Juju in PvP easily.

We should setup a Spec Build page for the front page. The one above is great for the Spamming Nova Bomb. Other suggestions is specs for Titans' Boomer Duty; Hunter Crota, etc.

As much as I hate to admit it, I rather face the Cabal doing the phalanx formation than the Hive for the umpteenth time.

Wouldn't be an issue if the dailies were a part of some kind of expansion story arc that progressed daily instead of the same missions over and over. There's no context, just repitition

Vex is still an awesome PvP gun but it doesn't rank at all for PvE really. It's fine but no reason to waste your exotic spot on it. It's unfortunately not more effective, but at least Vex still feels like a reward. It's a fantastically designed weapon with a unique model, firing sound and gunplay feel. Even the flavor text is interesting.

Necrochasm is none of those things. They literally add boring green flames to the same ugly ass model. First time I equipped it someone asked if I was carrying the Murmur because it looks the same. It almost feels like Bungie is still pissed about the OG Hard Atheon cheese screwing up the "specialness" of the Vex, to make the new raid "reward" weapon this aggressively terrible.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
shrug... shrug. the vex is a glorious weapon and good or better than good at every task I've ever attempted to apply it to. It is extremely useful in CE through to Crota. I don't use it much simply because there are guns I personally prefer.

edit: I'm gonna use it to shear through this Nightfall because of this conversation
We should setup a Spec Build page for the front page. The one above is great for the Spamming Nova Bomb. Other suggestions is specs for Titans' Boomer Duty; Hunter Crota, etc.
used to exist. and i'm always jotting down new build ideas. if I ever take on ot duties again I'll bring it back I guess.

Vex is still an awesome PvP gun but it doesn't rank at all for PvE really. It's fine but no reason to waste your exotic spot on it. It's unfortunately not more effective, but at least Vex still feels like a reward. It's a fantastically designed weapon with a unique model, firing sound and gunplay feel. Even the flavor text is interesting.

Necrochasm is none of those things. They literally add boring green flames to the same ugly ass model. First time I equipped it someone asked if I was carrying the Murmur because it looks the same. It almost feels like Bungie is still pissed about the OG Hard Atheon cheese screwing up the "specialness" of the Vex, to make the new raid "reward" weapon this aggressively terrible.

I think its the exact same model as the murmur. Even has the window on the side where you see the fusion rifle charging

The Knights wouldn't be an issue if I wasn't aiming down the sights of an ice breaker in a small room trying to get as many heavy ammo packs as possible.

haha just buy heavy from Xur, stop wasting your time with that stupid glitch!

But seriously I stand up on the door/coffin frames until we've cleared out enough acolytes to move around more freely (and also they dropped the heavy if I was doing the glitch, which I've only bothered with a few times).

Rubenov

I hate wasting time emptying primary ammo to do heavy ammo glitch, I extremely dislike using glitches, but I'd rather glitch than spend hours farming exclusion zone to get a good amount of heavy ammo synths

LiK

The reserve ammo amount is for PvE. I run out constantly, even if I'm pacing my shots.

But Bungie/DeeJ have explicitly said that they have no intent to revist the Mythoclast, ever. It will never be upgraded to new attack values even.

really? with Field Scout, it has more than enough before reload. I use it all the time for PVP and PVE.

k1t4j

Bungie said the vex was going to be your obvious first choice weapon to bring into Crota's end on Dec. 9. It wasn't even anywhere close to that...

hahaha, sometimes it seems that Bungie is so disconnected from the community and how we play their game.

The Vex was a great weapon and felt like that in the beginning, after the nerf was not as good but good nonetheless.

And the weapon everyone ends up taking to Crota, was and possibly still is Fatebringer a top tier HC in PVE by all accounts.

All their decisions and spoon fed bullshit (xur is random el oh el) makes me wonder.

DO you want us to keep playing your game?

I have unfortunately limited myself to tuesdays/wednesdays of 2 NFs and CE HM and CE normal.

Lets see what happens when HoW drops, amidst so many good games coming out.

Currently using a Pulse Rifle for the first time since the beta.

Which one(s) and how is that going?

I did that last night with Red Death. Dropped some XP into it so I could unlock the Red Death perk and then took it on a short ROC strike tour. I wasn't terribly impressed but the upcoming buff may change that.

But seriously I stand up on the door/coffin frames until we've cleared out enough acolytes to move around more freely (and also they dropped the heavy if I was doing the glitch, which I've only bothered with a few times).

That glitch has been a godsend. Last night we cleared Crota 3 times and I didn't have to use a single synth.

We tried popping a bubble near the window and it seems like the Knights get less aggro. It's interesting how the bubble itself seems to aggro Crota and the Knights. They don't seem to like it at all

Namikaze1

I did that last night with Red Death. Dropped some XP into it so I could unlock the Red Death perk and then took it on a short ROC strike tour. I wasn't terribly impressed but the upcoming buff may change that.
Currently using Red Death since it's the only one have all but one of the bubbles unlocked. Gonna max out Bad Juju next.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

it won't. if you don't like the feel of the gun a statistical buff isn't going to change anything at all

Currently at 505 glimmer, less then 1k glimmer all week and 6 heavy ammo packs.. Might be doing the heavy ammo glitches often till xur sells them again..just saying.
I hate wasting time emptying primary ammo to do heavy ammo glitch, I extremely dislike using glitches, but I'd rather glitch than spend hours farming exclusion zone to get a good amount of heavy ammo synths
same, I always hope someone else is doing it so no one has to wait just for me :p

shrug... shrug. the vex is a glorious weapon and good or better than good at every task I've ever attempted to apply it to. It is extremely useful in CE through to Crota. I don't use it much simply because there are guns I personally prefer.

Embrace your inner min/max'er Hawkian! :p

Vex is not a good PvE weapon, but there aren't very many exotics that rank highly in PvE from a true min/max perspective. Using your exotic spot is the key here. Like I always say about these things: it's completely fine and you can do all content in the game with it because the ideal weapon load out isn't that critical. You can tear through the NFall with it... but why wouldn't you use Abyss Defiant or VoC as solar primary and put your exotic to something else?

Currently at 505 glimmer, less then 1k glimmer all week and 6 heavy ammo packs.. Might be doing the heavy ammo glitches often till xur sells them again..just saying.

Very true... if I actually play the game at all until weekly reset, haha. Best way I've found to save heavy synth: backlog!

patchday

That glitch has been a godsend. Last night we cleared Crota 3 times and I didn't have to use a single synth.

We tried popping a bubble near the window and it seems like the Knights get less aggro. It's interesting how the bubble itself seems to aggro Crota and the Knights. They don't seem to like it at all

My *guess* there's a disgruntled (or guardian angel) programmer/designer at Bungie that intentionally adds these crazy bugs/cheeses to help out the player base. Because that bug is just so crazy you'd never think its true til you see it.

All Cabal dailies have the Angry modifier. honestly it's waaaay more annoying,

yup, standing by there is way safer. Also gives you a view of both sides so you can see Knights entering from either side and it gives you an opportunity to react faster.

Navy Bean

Been out of the loop this week for RL issues. What is the consensus on the weapon changes? Seems to once again be changes aimed at PvP which very few give a crap about at the expense of PvE.

same, I always hope someone else is doing it so no one has to wait just for me :p

I see normal GK in your future ;)

yup, standing by there is way safer. Also gives you a view of both sides so you can see Knights entering from either side and it gives you an opportunity to react faster.

Of course it was MY idea all along :p

Where would you guys be without ME???

Sullichin

Been out of the loop this week for RL issues. What is the consensus on the weapon changes? Seems to once again be changes aimed at PvP which very few give a crap about at the expense of PvE.
They're also going to make shotguns and pulse rifles better in PVE. The only change that seems PVP related and also negatively affects PVE is another assault rifle nerf.

k1t4j

I would also like to know this especially to my HC.

Please tell me its not bad....

Someone.... please

If only :(

I bought 250 when he sold it last time, I now have less than 20 per character.

I was trying to get people to load up on heavy synth for a long time, because people kept complaining about the 100-200 strange coin piles they had. I spent every last coin I had on synth last two times he brought it. I've been buying a few heavy synths with glimmer just to have something this week, I ran out of my stash a while back.

Since Normal Scrota's Ass launched in December, I've gone through upwards of 800 heavy synth, at least. I popped them all the time, in every group I'd help with Scrota just because I never wanted anything I did to hold back the group (i.e. well, I probably don't need more rockets to finish Ogres and 3rd sword bearer...).

Edit: vvv I also stocked up on Telemetries of every weapon type over time as he sold them, so that I have 30+ of each now. Too bad I don't care about leveling any guns.

patchday

I think they're good changes for Crucible since it punishes the new players running around with ARs and Fusions. PvP should require a tiny bit more skill. Still need to add an optional game mode where there's no supers to remove all the newbie-friendly helpers

Unfortunately, any nerf is always bad news to pve players

I really never use an AR unless forced by those lame Iron Banner bounties so I dont really care. I like Scouts, snipers, shotties, & hand cannons.

I was trying to get people to load up on heavy synth for a long time, because people kept complaining about the 100-200 strange coin piles they had. I spent every last coin I had on synth last two times he brought it. I've been buying a few heavy synths with glimmer just to have something this week, I ran out of my stash a while back.

Since Normal Scrota's Ass launched in December, I've gone through upwards of 800 heavy synth, at least. I popped them all the time, in every group I'd help with Scrota just because I never wanted anything I did to hold back the group (i.e. well, I probably don't need more rockets to finish Ogres and 3rd sword bearer...).

I'm the same way. If I have packs I'm gonna use them no matter what I'm doing.

I wonder what percentage of your 800 synths worth of rockets were lost due to the heavy ammo bug

Navy Bean

They're also going to make shotguns and pulse rifles better in PVE. The only change that seems PVP related and also negatively affects PVE is another assault rifle nerf.

I just read through it quickly but the justification for basically EVERY change was PvP related... I still can't think of a reason I'd want to use a shotty or pulse rifle in PvE except for maybe Bad Juju or Red Death and for those you have to use up your exotic on a primary... Whatever, just wish they'd separate the PvP fro PvE.

Axoman

I haven't seen this mentioned when talking about the weapon changes, but does this worry anyone else?

"SCOUT RIFLE, SNIPER RIFLE, HEAVY MACHINEGUN, ROCKET LAUNCHER
For the most part, these weapons have not been changed as a part of this update. However, changes to the Destiny arsenal mean that untouched weapons may now seem different in side by side comparisons. You may discover new reasons to start using some of these weapons as part of your combat strategy."

I'm worried that this may be their way of saying there will be weapon specific changes for these and that one of those is a gjallarhorn nerf.

I haven't seen this mentioned when talking about the weapon changes, but does this worry anyone else?

For the most part, these weapons have not been changed as a part of this update. However, changes to the Destiny arsenal mean that untouched weapons may now seem different in side by side comparisons. You may discover new reasons to start using some of these weapons as part of your combat strategy."

I'm worried that this may be there way of saying there will be weapon specific changes for these and that one of those is a gjallarhorn nerf.

Anything is possible but if they nerf the gjallarhorn they will never hear the end of it

Not to mention it being a huge carrot dangling in front of people who don't have it yet. Keeps people playing the game. I don't think they'll want to take that away by nerfing it

Acorn

I'm worried that this may be there way of saying there will be weapon specific changes for these and that one of those is a gjallarhorn nerf.
Horn nerf would be the final straw for me.

Navy Bean

Don't worry, the GHorn won't get nerfed until the Tuesday after it's sold by Xur...

patchday

I just read through it quickly but the justification for basically EVERY change was PvP related... I still can't think of a reason I'd want to use a shotty or pulse rifle in PvE except for maybe Bad Juju or Red Death and for those you have to use up your exotic on a primary... Whatever, just wish they'd separate the PvP fro PvE.

That may cause some confusion to new players when their guns behave differently depending on the zones and its an immersion breaker (kinda)

Instead, I'd rather see all PvE mobs get their hit points reduced. Fix the root issue- a lot of these mobs got a bit too much hit points

Top Bottom