• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT17| 17th inning stretch

GhaleonEB

A. A ha. A ha ha ha. A ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
O...k? They do. When was the last time you had a host migration in PvE? The answer is never, because you are never host and you never have to migrate; you either are connected to Destiny's servers, or get kicked. Bungie didn't develop a miracle cure for the input lag co-op modes suffered when using lockstep networking in Halo, nor did they figure out how to run dozens of AI in huge environments with seamless drop in drop out co-op using P2P with six players across environments too large to hold in RAM at once.

Lee

O...k? They do. When was the last time you had a host migration in PvE? The answer is never, because you are never host and you never have to migrate; you either are connected to Destiny's servers, or get kicked. Bungie didn't develop a miracle cure for the input lag co-op modes suffered when using lockstep networking in Halo, nor did they figure out how to run dozens of AI in huge environments with seamless drop in drop out co-op using P2P with six players across environments too large to hold in RAM at once.

Just based on the Crota cheese I assumed some or all of a PvE instance was hosted by a player. I admit you seem to know a lot more about this than I do and I stand corrected.

Edit: Reading through FyreWulff's contributions to that thread you linked I just learned a ton about how Destiny networking works. Thank you.

I seem to be alone in this strategy but if your swordbearer is a hunter and uses his vanish super for his approach to grab the sword and jump up to Crota, the boomers completely ignore you as you do your thing. In my groups we have no bubble duty, no boomer duty, and as long as the swordbearer gets his approach right, boomers are a non-issue.

I had one clear where we didn't do this. The other 5 combined clears had 2 separate swordbearers, and they both employed this strategy in every run. It's almost boring how easy it seems as a rocketer since there is so little you have to focus on/worry about. In short, seems like a damn good strategy from what I've seen.

Remomanji

Neo Member
PS4

Crota Hard - I have the Checkpoint at Crota.
We just need one hunter who knows how to use the sword.

just add me in PSN

Remomanji

Great job hydruxxo, mindlog, illiniguy05, xEYCx, and saithan. That wall distraction strategy was wonderful.

Once again, just Word of Crota and energy/shards, but Mindlog did get Crux (It does exist!).

Glitch/issue roundup:

Crota took too long to kneel (thankfully didn't attack, but one strike failed to cause damage)
Crota rising/moving early (to be fair, after
Blink failed to work
Sword bearer retreating away despite aggro attempts
Ogres taking abnormally long to spawn
Sword bearer disappeared entirely

Done for tonight with Raids/strikes. Might get on later to continue raising the baby Warlock, but otherwise I'm out till tomorrow.

Mindlog

With GAF most scrota runs are really close to one and done. Good group. Oddly slow Ogre timings, but we managed.
Crota showered exotics on my Titan this week.

Deathsinger:
Last Word the Third

Crota:
Dragon's Breath Again
Crux of Crota the Second

I'm going to level up another Necrochasm because we know it's going to be buffed soon. Right?

Also got a pretty good Titan helmet. Just wish it had Infusion.

patchday

I seem to be alone in this strategy but if your swordbearer is a hunter and uses his vanish super for his approach to grab the sword and jump up to Crota, the boomers completely ignore you as you do your thing. In my groups we have no bubble duty, no boomer duty, and as long as the swordbearer gets his approach right, boomers are a non-issue.

Speaking of running Crota, I'll be doing normal mode followed by hard mode (maybe a few of each) tonight on Xbox One. Gamertag is Trip Like I Do.

I think I've seen a gaffer do that on ps4. Excellent strategy no doubt.

Speaking of running Crota, I'll be doing normal mode followed by hard mode (maybe a few of each) tonight on Xbox One. Gamertag is Trip Like I Do.

That's what I typically do, but still often need bubbles (or someone behind the wall) as the right boomers still have the off chance of taking shots. Also helps having a brief buffer for my retreat.

Just helps covering all the bases.

What you're describing sounds like what MS and respawn were claiming was revolutionary with Titanfall. Am I wrong?

Vex is fine for PVE. you guys are crazy. it chews through enemies so easily. I use it to farm VoG glimmer and also was farming Wax Idols against Hive. it's still great.

This. Vex rips thorough everything in pve. I'm screwing with the Necrochasm atm, but if not for that the Vex stays in the primary slot unless the situation calls for IB or Gjalla.

any groups on Xbox One running HM Crota? I don't have ghorn, but I'm not terrible! I've gotten all the way to the end but can't find a group to kill crota with :(

Deku Tree

TheOddOne

any groups on Xbox One running HM Crota? I don't have ghorn, but I'm not terrible! I've gotten all the way to the end but can't find a group to kill crota with :(
I think I might buy the season pass tomorrow. So, I'm totally new to Crota and will need some help. We could get a group going.

Deku Tree

I solo'd the HM Abyss with Kor earlier today... We might have discovered a kind of crazy strategy.... Not 100% sure because we only did it once but...

We were both hunters with don't touch me's. I accidentally started a few minutes after him because answering an email. So I marched through the most of the lamps at 10x weight of darkness and Kor had started up the bridge forming and the ogres were out by the time I got semi close but not that close to the last lamps... And Kor was hanging out invis by the bridge... And the ogres aggro'd on me and totally ignored Kor but the Ogres never caught up to me and the bridge formed and lamps section was over.

Xur, why do you even bother...

I could buy some of the stuff, but I don't see the point. I'd probably never use Glasshouse over Saint 14. Plan C looks alright, but I'll just continue to use Pocket Infinity for my exotic FR. I'll just wait for them to drop.

Honestly the only thing I really want is Red Death and No Backup Plans.

Glasshouse is great for Atheon and other bullet sponge type bosses. 5 extra seconds of WoL can't be understated. Also very viable for Crota with 5 extra seconds of BoL. Don't sleep on Glasshouse.

I really don't think this method of balancing is very smart. I enjoy using ARs and hand cannons and I'm going to keep using them, except now they're going to suck a little bit more. Fun?

Finally got a Mythoclast.

Bought Plan-C and finished the Super Good Advice bounty today.

From zero to exotico in a single day. Now what should I level up first?

Anyone up for a Crota run on Normal? (PS4)

Feel free to send me a friend request and I'll be putting a party together for chat!

Edit: Filled up! Thanks for those who joined and sorry to those who I didn't' get to!

boofa

Neo Member
I solo'd the HM Abyss with Kor earlier today... We might have discovered a kind of crazy strategy.... Not 100% sure because we only did it once but...

We were both hunters with don't touch me's. I accidentally started a few minutes after him because answering an email. So I marched through the most of the lamps at 10x weight of darkness and Kor had started up the bridge forming and the ogres were out by the time I got semi close but not that close to the last lamps... And Kor was hanging out invis by the bridge... And the ogres aggro'd on me and totally ignored Kor but the Ogres never caught up to me and the bridge formed and lamps section was over.
Yes, this is how my regular crew does it every week. You can even have someone die near the ogre spawn point and they'll aggro on the orb and ignore the person at the gate or even on the rock safe from thrall.

That's how we always run it with a group. One person tries to solo it and others follow one by one. It works better than everyone sticking together

Deku Tree

Yes, this is how my regular crew does it every week. You can even have someone die near the ogre spawn point and they'll aggro on the orb and ignore the person at the gate or even on the rock safe from thrall.

Where is the ogre spawn point? Thx!

Atkison04

Yeah, that was legitimately funny. His buddy egging him on to world star his fight with his neighbor made me mute the mic to laugh.

Not gonna make it back on tonight man. Gonna spin up John wick with the wife instead. Aiming for around noon est tomorrow if you still need it by then. Just let me know!

Top Bottom