• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT17| 17th inning stretch

Not gonna make it back on tonight man. Gonna spin up John wick with the wife instead. Aiming for around noon est tomorrow if you still need it by then. Just let me know!

I will join tomorrow. And I will run the sword. I have a few new strategy tweaks to brief you guys on.

Dwalls

Neo Member
O...k? They do. When was the last time you had a host migration in PvE? The answer is never, because you are never host and you never have to migrate; you either are connected to Destiny's servers, or get kicked. Bungie didn't develop a miracle cure for the input lag co-op modes suffered when using lockstep networking in Halo, nor did they figure out how to run dozens of AI in huge environments with seamless drop in drop out co-op using P2P with six players across environments too large to hold in RAM at once.

Actually you're both correct, kind of. Destiny runs a hybrid system, certain aspects of the gameplay are very much handled over P2P, but there is also a "dedicated" server that maintains the "world state" while host migration happens so they can provide a "seamless" experience. Atleast I remember reading articles to that effect, if my googlefu was active I'd go find them but I'm tired right now.

Edit: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/12/06/the-matchmaking-technology-of-destiny.aspx

We took this mesh-based networking that we’ve been developing for years and years with Halo and adapted that networking to work in a seamless interconnected world full of other players and AIs. So when you’re playing a destination you’re moving from area to area and every one of those areas has got this mesh networking with a group of players that are in it at this one time. And then it has its own servers for that particular area so you’re continuously moving around between these groups of both consoles and also dedicated servers that are hosting it.

That’s the thing that I’m really excited that we’ve been able to do because I think it’s been really hard for us. And I don’t really think anybody else is going to be able to pull it off in the timeframe we’re talking about on consoles.

There are these artifacts that you get when you have, when you do a simulation that runs on a single server on a big mainframe type thing, there are two problems that you get. One problem is all of the 5,000 people on your server nobody is playing in Old Russia at the moment so it’s just empty when you go there. Or the other problem is all 5,000 people logged in and tried to go to the same place at the same time and the server crashes or it gets so full up that it’s totally lagged out. And if it does get full then there are some of those games that will start having different instances, but typically they don’t handle that very well because it’s not a core part of the game design.

For us we’ve kind of said we want this game world to be able to work with millions of players online at once. And that means playing to the strengths of the consoles. Being able to use these very powerful machines to run a lot of the simulation. Being able to use the servers in a seamless fashion so that as you’re moving from place to place you’re switching networks with all of the different people that are around you. You’ve got a very high quality fast action gameplay experience. If you have all of these calculations taking place in a central server that’s one place in the world you can’t really have a fast action experience.

What if you’re playing from Brazil or the West Coast of America? When we have this big pool of global players to matchmake with we’re able to use all of our technology to make sure you’re playing with people who are physically located near you so you have good ping to everybody else. So you’re able to have this great action experience that you’re used to in these action games. But at the same time you can do it in this global fashion.

joecanada

To be fair, if you know and understand the strategy and have someone good running the sword, it's not that hard, even with 31s. Of course, that's assuming no glitches.

But no rockets? Lol that's a bit of a challenge.

I was running sword, everyone has been here, flawless run then on last sword only half the rockets come in, I die.

Uhhh " guys who didn't fire a goddamn rocket that time "

Lol

Very fun PvP matches everyone! Thanks to Rubenov, Palom, Phaethon, Xplicit and a very special guest appearance from Zoba!

umm... ok. In that case you need to differentiate between preference and the subject of the original debate: effectiveness. Vex isn't an effective PvE weapon when considering an entire load out and all available alternatives, exotic and otherwise. I tried to make this point in a silly, joking manner but apparently no sense of humor allowed. Maybe you meant "nah" in a joking way but it doesn't read well online when you don't give it any context. Words on a screen don't have a clear tone so I always err on the side of using lots of smiley faces, "haha" etc.

LTWood12

Just checking in team. I'll send out chat invites about 45 minutes. See y'all on the moon.

1. Hawk
2. Ltwood12
3. Crharper
4. Captainscience
5. Brolly1016
6. T-44

NastyBook

Blew through a NF a few minutes ago. Archon Priest was no match for three Gjallarhorns. Gonna do these Mars bounties, then will be up for another one.

PSN: GibbShift

Damnit Rubenov, let me have the best score, kills and K/D just once!

B9NEWwEIAAAh6WR.jpg

Ozone

Blew through a NF a few minutes ago. Archon Priest was no match for three Gjallarhorns. Gonna do these Mars bounties, then will be up for another one.

PSN: GibbShift
I could use a NF. Would you mind doing the weekly too? ID is Ozone31. We're already friends.

Alright GAF, who wants to do Crota Hard Mode RIGHT NOW from the beginning?

Preferably 31/32's, Gjallarhorn would be nice, but Hunger or Truth works too (for the boss, if we get there).

Reply in this thread if you're down!

1. mikeworks

Preferably 31/32's, Gjallarhorn would be nice, but Hunger or Truth works too (for the boss, if we get there).

1. mikeworks
I have 4 people for Crota, but 3 of us are first timers. All 31 tho.

Normal or Hard? Down for Normal, PSN: GibbShift.
We could do that

Anyone interested in a normal CE run in about 20 mins? I'm finishing a weekly and then looking to start one. 4 spots available.

PSN - Dr_LawyerCop

GRIP

Anyone up for a Crota run on Normal? (PS4)

Feel free to send me a friend request and I'll be putting a party together for chat!

Edit: Filled up! Thanks for those who joined and sorry to those who I didn't' get to!

Are we doing this later or am I not in the group?

ich00

1. mikeworks

I have 2 who can do this my 32 warlock and a friend who has a 31 warlock

Top Bottom