• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT18| CA$H-4-CROTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Raining on my parade? How dare you!

Seriously though, I agree. It definitely helps a little from what I've seen in some gameplay vids but nothing crazy... Secret Handshake also has the range/accuracy perk as well. That should help it out somewhat. Once I level it up enough to unlock it, I guess I'll see if it's worth the 150 marks I just dropped on it.
My understanding is that Shot Package's value in PvE won't be that you can attack from further away, but rather that if you aim for the crit spot more pellets are likely to hit it.

Rangefinder is probably pretty worthwhile as well in PvE. I have no idea how they compare in terms of regular damage output.

Stubo

No Todd reaction yet?

You could argue that buying gear with strange coins is 'earning' it more than getting an RNG drop is.

At least you complete specific challenging tasks to be awarded the majority of your strange coins. RNG is just how long you can take sitting at the roulette wheel before your number finally comes up.

stb

It's weird. The only way that blue could be white is if the lighting was blue. But the background shows it's obviously an extremely yellow tint. I could see people thinking it might be Blue and Gold, but white?! Crazy people lol.

This was my exact thought process.

Namikaze1

Glasshouse sucks.

Monte Carlo went from shit to good after the November/December patch. But Bungie went and nerfed ARs again

Necrochasm is shit and still is. I actually don't even see a difference from pre-patch Necro to post-patch Necro. That's how shitty it is.

Navy Bean

Raining on my parade? How dare you!

Seriously though, I agree. It definitely helps a little from what I've seen in some gameplay vids but nothing crazy... Secret Handshake also has the range/accuracy perk as well. That should help it out somewhat. Once I level it up enough to unlock it, I guess I'll see if it's worth the 150 marks I just dropped on it.

Don't get me wrong, it's pretty great for a vendor weapon... But it's not like the Plan C of shotty's where you can snipe shit from halfway across the map.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah Monte Carlo must be worse now after the patch.
Not really... it was affected on the lower end of the spectrum by this patch since it wasn't that high-impact to begin with, but it was never great for its raw DPS anyway. It's awesome because the perk can have a huge gameplay impact for certain builds/playstyles.

edit: Glasshouse is the #1 best exotic piece for Atheon

Namikaze1

obviously todd is gathering gifs
The amount of gifs that will be posted will crash this site!

Or it will just fuck everyone on mobile.

I must be one of the few that actually enjoy using the Necrochasm. I see the diamond in the rough!
I like using it when I am fucking around. It's a great weapon to use when you're pretending to be fig and cussing out every Hive/Fallen/Vex/Cabal in your way.

Homeboyd

obviously todd is gathering gifs
I'm predicting a bunch of randomly strung together letters, numbers and characters followed by a lot of exclamation marks. Just complete incoherent excited rambling screamed at the top of his... fingers. No gifs. No words. Just keyboard diarrhea spewing excitement in all directions.

After today the only exotic i'll be missing is Hard Light. Also why is there no Grimoire for Exotic Armor pieces?

That's actually a good question. What is up with that?

OOhhhhhhh Weeeeeeee!

I'm predicting a bunch of randomly strung together letters, numbers and characters followed by a lot of exclamation marks. Just complete incoherent excited rambling screamed at the top of his... fingers. No gifs. No words. Just keyboard diarrhea spewing in excitement in all directions.

Then he'll get zapped into the internet and become the Freakazoid!
Freakazoid!

LordofPwn

I would like to know the lore behind the Boogie Boots
Radiant Dance Machines

I want to know the lore behind the ahamkara stuff. Give me my dragons Bungie!

Also is there a grimoire card for Sparrows? cause there should be. I want design schematics for one though.

E92 M3

Maybe for the next update it will become the "new" Bad Juju.

If they ever even acknowledge that it's weak. They haven't unfortunately, but maybe today.

The amount of gifs that will be posted will crash this site!

Or it will just fuck everyone on mobile.

I like using it when I am fucking around. It's a great weapon to use when you're pretending to be fig and cussing out every Hive/Fallen/Vex/Cabal in your way.

The explosions are just so satisfying. One of the buffs needs to change it so it activates every time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Also is there a grimoire card for Sparrows? cause there should be. I want design schematics for one though.
Damn, I wonder if that's supposed to be Ahamkara's skeleton in the Wakening end room?

My understanding is that Shot Package's value in PvE won't be that you can attack from further away, but rather that if you aim for the crit spot more pellets are likely to hit it.

Rangefinder is probably pretty worthwhile as well in PvE. I have no idea how they compare in terms of regular damage output.

This dude does a little experiment with shot package toward the end of this clip... looks like it would actually allow you to attack from further away because of the lessened spread... but I don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK5GkbuAUUA

I thought there actually was some stuff about the Ahamkaras. Though I'm afraid I can't remember if what I read was legit or fan speculation now.

They appear to be pretty close to human in size. Slightly bigger. I feel like I remember reading that they are super crafty and manipulative.

Not really... it was affected on the lower end of the spectrum by this patch since it wasn't that high-impact to begin with, but it was never great for its raw DPS anyway. It's awesome because the perk can have a huge gameplay impact for certain builds/playstyles.

If Monte Carlo had the +2 Agility perk, it would be THE best gun to use during the lamp phase running with Bloom on a Warlock. alas...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This dude does a little experiment with shot package toward the end of this clip... looks like it would actually allow you to attack from further away because of the lessened spread... but I don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK5GkbuAUUA
It... sort of would, because you can have a target be further away and still have more of the pellets connect, but each of the pellets is subject to the same range dropoff they would be without the perk (unlike how Rangefinder works). That's what I meant about going for crits though, like, Shot Package does have an effect of an increase in practical range to some degree, but from my perspective... whatever distance you're shooting from, the real benefit is that it ensures more crit damage.

Namikaze1

If they ever even acknowledge that it's weak. They haven't unfortunately, but maybe today.

The explosions are just so satisfying. One of the buffs needs to change it so it activates every time.
I would love for it to get a buff. The gun at its current state is not worth getting. I would love to shoot through the hive's wall of darkness. That should have been one of its perks. It is a gun infused with Crota's power! It should freaking demolish any hive resistance.

Vex doesn't have the vex disruptor or whatever it's calle like the vault weapons so I don't mind Necro not give hive disruptor but I still want to shoot through the k ight's wall of darkness.

TheOddOne

Cash-4-Crota more like Crash-4-Crota

I'm out
I0tS4pB.gif

It... sort of would, because you can have a target be further away and still have more of the pellets connect, but each of the pellets is subject to the same range dropoff they would be without the perk (unlike how Rangefinder works). That's what I meant about going for crits though, like, Shot Package does have effect an increase in practical range to some degree, but from my perspective... whatever distance you're shooting from, the real benefit is that it ensures more crit damage.

Ah, ok. I see what you're saying. That makes sense.

Just want to say thanks again for helping me out. Went from level 30 on my Titan begging for days for someone to help me out with the Abyss and Bridge to being 31 and knocking out HM Crota with you guys. I should be 32 by the end of the night, finally for this alt. Then I will have all classes at level 32.

NP. Nice to see you level up right there on the bridge. Next time I'll bring my warlock for the bridge part so you don't have to wait foreme to climb the tower.

stb

KINDA looking forward to this bungie.net developer feedback forum thing.

Not only for the delicious train wreck it's destined to be, but also any useful nuggets that happen to be gleaned from it.

I'm imaging the participating devs are all sitting at a conference table and being told not to answer certain questions by some sort of manager the same way a defense lawyer would advise their client not to answer.

"Question: why is the Necrochasm garbage?"

Developer and manager lean toward each other and mumble unintelligibly.

Developer states "We're collecting feedback about weapon balance issues. Remember, we're always listening!"

GhaleonEB

So now that shotguns are awesome, is it safe to assume Universal Remote is a worthwhile investment? I'm starting up a shotty collection with each burn given their newfound "make things die instantly" tendency.

ocean

Banned
Bungie should make a timed event like a weekend or something where we can equip multiple Exotics. It'd be fun to make crazy builds and have ridiculous looking guardians with clashing flashy armor pieces :p

I posted about it waaaay back in OT8:

The Deal With the Ahamkara (aka the Space Dragons)

I learned this from this Reddit post, but I'll lay it out here for easy viewing.

First thing to bring up is the GHOST FRAGMENT: Warlock Grimoire card.

K8M29eP.png

Why did I set her on the trail?

You try and try and try to explain, but no one ever understands. No one who's not a Warlock. Who hasn't spent a dozen years scouring the ruins for one string of symbols, one clean code, one black talon. Titans just make a hmphing noise, if they've stayed awake. Hunters clean their nails with their knives and look at you like you've grown a third eye.

But when you've spent your life searching through arcana for ancient power, you have the urge to reach out and educate others. Especially if you've had one too many.

Nah, she's not my type at all. We've played dice, cards, war games, you know, the usual stuff. I'd never tried to show off before. I don't know what came over me.

I had a broken vertebrae in my pocket that I'd borrowed from - yes, borrowed, I was going to put it back - what do you think you are, my conscience? It was a fossil, that means mineral replacement, a rock, basically. They can survive a few hours in my pocket. Do shut up.

The Cryptarchs weren't going to miss it. Everyone knows the Ahamkaras were hunted to extinction. There's nothing to be afraid of anymore.

Think of how mysterious this system is, I said. How much life sprang up when the Traveler came. Like the Ahamkara. Do you know the legends? The dragon that made promises? And I pulled out the fossil with a flourish -

She pulled out her knife and started to pick the dirt from her nails. That set me off.

You could never have brought down one of these, I said. Ever. Not the greatest Hunter, not the brawniest Titan.

Her eyes narrowed. She said, Oh? Is that so? And I saw right then that she wasn't going to pass on the challenge.

I've murdered a Guardian, I thought. She's going to die. It'll be my fault.

And I looked at the piece of spine in my hand and wondered - why did I say that? What moved me to such pride?

So we learn a few things from this. The Ahamkara were "dragons that made promises" and were apparently feared enough to be hunted to extinction. His insistence that specifically Hunters and Titans wouldn't be able to take one down, also implies it was y the Warlocks who actually did this (more on this later). One of the more important parts about this though (and you will see more of this further), is that the dragon's bone seems to have some influence over the Warlock when he holds it. It basically compels him to goad the Hunter in to a situation that he knows will get her killed.

Now we have the Grimoire card GHOST FRAGMENT: LEGENDS 3...

Sa1StoC.png

The Great Ahamkara Hunt

After great deliberation it was determined that the Ahamkara be made extinct.

It was not an easy decision. Power had been obtained from the bargains, and the City needed power. Knowledge had been gleaned, and the Ahamkara knew answers to questions no one had known to ask.

But the price was too high. And no edict or forbearance seemed to stop Guardians from seeking them out, driven by hope, or vengeance, or despair.

The call had to be silenced. So the Great Hunt did its work.

And thus the Ahamkara were made extinct, their call silenced, their solipsistic flatteries erased, their great design - if it ever existed - broken.

Of this you can be assured, oh reader mine

So now we get some detail on what the Guardians were afraid of. They had apparently gained knowledge and power by bargaining with the Ahamkara but the price was so high and the compulsion to seek those answers out was so compelling (notice the pattern again?) that they literally had to kill them off to stop it. Except the bolded shows whatever compulsive power the Ahamkara held extends beyond the grave. And we know from the first card that it's likely through their bones. Oh yeah! What else is made of their bones?

Skull of Dire Ahamkara

Young Ahamkara's Spine

Claws of Ahamkara

Voidfang Vestments
(not Ahamkara bones, but Warlock specific)

You'll notice a pattern in the flavor text:

"Reality is the finest flesh, oh bearer mine. And are you not…hungry?"
"Give me your arm, oh bearer mine. Let me help you fill the world with teeth."
"Look at all this life, oh bearer mine. There is so much left to burn... "
"YOU WILL DREAM OF TEETH AND NOTHING ELSE" - scratched behind a buckle

As you can see, the Ahamkara have some fascination and/or possibly an actual hunger for Reality itself. Perhaps this explains their connection with the Warlocks. From their Grimoire card:

"Warrior-scholars of the Light, Warlocks devote themselves to understanding the Traveler and its power. A Warlock mind is an arsenal of deadly secrets, balanced between godhood and madness. On the battlefield, those secrets can shatter reality itself."

The Warlocks, more than any other class, are about unlocking the secrets of reality to the point where they're almost driven mad. Sounds like a good tool for a creature that has an interest in reality.

So why do the Hunters have an Ahamkara piece? Well you'll notice that Titans, the only class without any Ahamkara armor, are the only class who have no Solar specific class at the moment. Perhaps they have no use for a class who cannot help them "burn" reality. Hard to say at this point.

TLDR: The Ahamkara are talking dragons that had literal answers to questions that made the Guardians more powerful. Possibly to secrets of reality itself. They also had the power to compel the minds of Guardians and this power made them dangerous enough that the Guardians decided to hunt them to extinction. This power of compulsion seems to extend to their bones and being in possession of them makes you still makes you vulnerable to that compulsion. They seem to want to feast on reality and they seek to achieve that by controlling the minds of Guardians

So now that shotguns are awesome, is it safe to assume Universal Remote is a worthwhile investment? I'm starting up a shotty collection with each burn given their newfound "make things die instantly" tendency.

Haha, yeah I would say it would be. Gun was pretty fun even before the patch. Now, apparently, it's a murderer.

I still think, after the hype dies down, that mid-to-long-range encounters will still be the most common so the shotgun will be less important. That said, I'm having a great time running around and blasting baddies in the face.

Deku Tree

So it is worse... it's just "less worse" than other auto rifles became after the patch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom