• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT18| CA$H-4-CROTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deku Tree

Being dead starts the inactivity timer. Doesn't matter how much you change your camera or check out your inventory.

Edit: I'm pretty sure Raids have different rules for inactivity.

Fireteams with a leader do not have inactivity timers right?

Edit

I think this is a low probability event we are talking about anyway. If you die and your team mates don't revive you the most likely outcome is a wipe before the five minutes are up.

stb

Oh, Xur.

- helmet engram, but I only have 35 motes, so I'll only get one roll at Saint-14 unless anyone can think of a way to dig up 11 motes over the weekend without grinding ROC strikes endlessly praying for blue engrams to turn into motes.

- I guess I'll xurpgrade my Universal Remote to the 331 version, since I'll have a free shard from the aforementioned helmet engram that won't turn into Saint-14 because the RNG hates me.

- really tempted to grab HotPF even though my warlock is only level 14, and I only intended to play him to get the trophy for maxing out one subclass. I'd just hate to have left it on the table if I decide to keep/use him in the future. Is this silly?

Anyone planning on glimmer farming the GK CP over the weekend?

I'm still tapped out from IB, and need the ~7.5k for the UR xurpgrade, upgrading my raid armor to get to 32 (maybe?), and just generally have some spending money.

Oh, Xur.

- helmet engram, but I only have 35 motes, so I'll only get one roll at Saint-14 unless anyone can think of a way to dig up 11 motes over the weekend without grinding ROC strikes endlessly praying for blue engrams to turn into motes.

- I guess I'll xurpgrade my Universal Remote to the 331 version, since I'll have a free shard from the aforementioned helmet engram that won't turn into Saint-14 because the RNG hates me.

- really tempted to grab HotPF even though my warlock is only level 14, and I only intended to play him to get the trophy for maxing out one subclass. I'd just hate to have left it on the table if I decide to keep/use him in the future. Is this silly?

I'm still tapped out from IB, and need the ~7.5k for the UR xurpgrade, upgrading my raid armor to get to 32 (maybe?), and just generally have some spending money.

Do you not have enough coins to just outright buy it? Would save you hassle and then you'll have 2 shards.

Frostburn

Anyone doing GK glimmer farming or ROC strikes? I had no exotic drops all week so the only thing left is random Roc engrams and getting my glimmer maxed before reset.

Ghazi

Oh, Xur.

The people who datamined Xur this and last week say that he'll have saint next week.

I liked the Halo games because they had a lot of close quarters combat with massive waves of enemies and drop ships...

in Bungie Halo games there were no bosses like ever (with notable small exceptions like the time you had to take down two Scarabs omg that was so good).

I would like to see more of that in future Destiny Raids instead of big monster oversized bosses.

Halo 2 had 3 boss fights: Heretic Elite and clone thingies
Prophet of Regret punch out
and Tartarus on the wedding cake of doom

They mostly sucked.

spyder_ur

Oh, Xur.

Supposedly the guy who data mined this week's (and last?) Xur stock said that Saint 14 is coming next week. I guess it could change/be not true, but I might wait rather than burn motes and grind strikes for them.

Sure, you can always get more exotic shards.

really tempted to grab HotPF even though my warlock is only level 14, and I only intended to play him to get the trophy for maxing out one subclass. I'd just hate to have left it on the table if I decide to keep/use him in the future. Is this silly?

No, definitely buy it if you want it. Always buy something you want from Xur. You're like 2-3 hours playtime from being able to equip it.

I still have to run all weeklies and should be on tonight if you are short on coins.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So now that shotguns are awesome, is it safe to assume Universal Remote is a worthwhile investment? I'm starting up a shotty collection with each burn given their newfound "make things die instantly" tendency.
it legitimately is. but note of course, UR doesn't have an element.
So it is worse... it's just "less worse" than other auto rifles became after the patch?
Well, I don't actually know about the effect of the patch. The low impact auto rifles were nerfed to a much lesser degree than the high impact ones. What I meant was, what's good doesn't Monte Carlo didn't have anything to do with its raw DPS and that's unchanged.
Why?

I'd say it's no more useful than the Symbiote.
50% longer Time's Vengeance'd Weapons of Light DPS. Fantastic if you're looking to get him down in one portal.

funny that you'd bring up Symbiote, I'd characterize that as not at all useful on Atheon because golden gun absolutely blows for damaging him. I wasn't thinking about the portals though, I assume that's what you're talking about. It's a nice insurance, but WoL is a party-wide efficacy increase.

Sure, but the bubble is always there. If you lose the buff, just step back a second. And like you said, Atheon isn't even hard in HM at this point.
Doing that is lost DPS, and I actually advise against it altogether. You'll do more damage overall just standing your ground and shooting at him for as many crits as possible once you start shooting even if the back half aren't buffed by WoL. Get your 15 seconds, start firing and maintain that exact spot until it's time to leave the relic bubble. If your intent is to get him in one portal, definitely makes a difference. That's where I'm getting that it's the best exotic for him from, it legitimately provides an effective DPS increase for the entire group when attempting to do as much damage as possible.

I agree, somewhat sadly, that HM Atheon isn't really a challenge anymore for a coordinated group at all. If all players are 30 or above, the group absolutely can kill Atheon in two portal rounds without Glasshouse or Weapons of Light at all. I wasn't characterizing it as "the exotic that makes the fight go from hard to easy" or anything. Overall it just enables you to do more damage without changing strategy, that's it. If you're in a group trying for the kill in one portal it's really quite awesome.

Navy Bean

Exotics I've sharded for reasons I can't remember or justify:

The Last Word
Helm of Saint-14
Universal Remote

The lessen, as always - I'm an idiot and impulse sharding of exotics is a terrible idea unless it's a duplicate.

Those were some of the notable small exceptions I was talking about... I can't believe you bothered to mention the regret punch out that was like practically a boss QTE.

Yeah it still counts for me but I hate that fight.
Heretic Elite fight is ok and I enjoy the Tartarus fight more than I probably should.

The Scarab battles in Halo 3 and the one in ODST were ace though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
see fig's post above- it's always better to buy new than to rexurbish if you have the option.

Halo 2 had 3 boss fights: Heretic Elite and clone thingies
Prophet of Regret punch out
and Tartarus on the wedding cake of doom

They mostly sucked.

Those were some of the notable small exceptions I was talking about... I can't believe you bothered to mention the regret punch out that was like practically a boss QTE.

It's no secret that bosses are not Bungie's forte. At least not with Halo Bosses. Destiny has made steps in the right direction, but it's going to be a learning process for them, as it's simply just one of their weaknesses as a developer.

The Halo 2 fights were all very experimental, and obviously abandoned since Halo 3, ODST, and Reach didn't have any boss fights.

Edit: I don't count the Scarab fights as boss fights for some reason. They just don't feel bossy to me since you can take them out in like 2 or 3 seconds if you know what you're doing.

Dave_6

Oh, Xur.

I've only got 20 motes so I'm going to keep my hopes up that Xur will have the Saint-14 next week. I had no luck trying to get HoPF last week via engrams (wasted ~100 motes) and lo and behold, Xur is selling it this week. Definitely buying it and maybe the Hunter helm just cause I'm a collector.

Deku Tree

Yeah it still counts for me but I hate that fight.
Heretic Elite fight is ok and I enjoy the Tartarus fight more than I probably should.

The Scarab battles in Halo 3 and the one in ODST were ace though.

Ok but take for example the Tartarus fight... Tartarus was only slightly larger than you and was surrounded by normal tough adds. Tartarus wasn't some massive beast compared to your size and it wasn't like you could ignore a bunch of insignificant adds around him and just focus on using crazy strategies to take Tartarus down by himself. I always did that by clearing the whole deck.

I liked fights like Tartarus too and I find them much better than having an FPS raid with a huge oversized monster boss at the end who requires some mastering some clever gameplay strategies and mechanics.

EDIT:

It's no secret that bosses are not Bungie's forte. At least not with Halo Bosses. Destiny has made steps in the right direction, but it's going to be a learning process for them, as it's simply just one of their weaknesses as a developer.

The Halo 2 fights were all very experimental, and obviously abandoned since Halo 3, ODST, and Reach didn't have any boss fights.

Edit: I don't count the Scarab fights as boss fights for some reason. They just don't feel bossy to me since you can take them out in like 2 or 3 seconds if you know what you're doing.

I would go as far as saying that their aren't many good "massive oversized boss" encounters in the whole FPS genre. That's why I would prefer if Bungie had some other form of "final raid encounter".

Oh my. I've been destroying people with a no perk Red Death. I love this, can't wait to level this up for the perks. Wish Xur would of sold pulse rifle telemtries.

Exotics I've sharded for reasons I can't remember or justify:

The Last Word
Helm of Saint-14
Universal Remote

The lessen, as always - I'm an idiot and impulse sharding of exotics is a terrible idea unless it's a duplicate.

I can understand universal remote but the other two.... What the hell were you thinking?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh my. I've been destroying people with a no perk Red Death. I love this, can't wait to level this up for the perks. Wish Xur would of sold pulse rifle telemtries.
Yeah, it's out of this world good, and I don't even have the ideal aiming down yet. when I unlock the perk it'll be like superman on earth

50% longer Time's Vengeance'd Weapons of Light DPS. Fantastic if you're looking to get him down in one portal.

funny that you'd bring up Symbiote, I'd characterize that as not at all useful on Atheon because golden gun absolutely blows for damaging him. I wasn't thinking about the portals though, I assume that's what you're talking about. It's a nice insurance, but WoL is a party-wide efficacy increase.
Golden Gun is the perfect oracle killer, but it's also the best weapon against Supplicants since they don't explode when you shoot them.

I'd rather kill Atheon with an entire group of Hunters than an entire group of Titans, so maybe that's why I don't consider Glasshouse that worthy.

Doing that is lost DPS, and I actually advise against it altogether. You'll do more damage overall just standing your ground and shooting at him for as many crits as possible once you start shooting even if the back half aren't buffed by WoL. Get your 15 seconds, start firing and maintain that exact spot until it's time to leave the relic bubble. If your intent is to get him in one portal, definitely makes a difference. That's where I'm getting that it's the best exotic for him from, it legitimately provides an effective DPS increase for the entire group when attempting to do as much damage as possible.

I agree, somewhat sadly, that HM Atheon isn't really a challenge anymore for a coordinated group at all. If all players are 30 or above, the group absolutely can kill Atheon in two portal rounds without Glasshouse or Weapons of Light at all. I wasn't characterizing it as "the exotic that makes the fight go from hard to easy" or anything. Overall it just enables you to do more damage without changing strategy, that's it. If you're in a group trying for the kill in one portal it's really quite awesome.

It really depends what weapon you're using though. A sniper? You're gonna have to reload. Rocket Launcher? You're safer jumping out of the bubble anyway (why not just jump out the Titan bubble?). Machine gun? Reloading again. You're losing out on DPS no matter what you do, so taking a step back while you're reloading won't make much of a difference.

I don't see how you have to change strategy at all.

After using Bad JuJu and Oversoul Edict it's really hard to use Red Death. It fires way to slow, I always seem to die in between shots.

Steroyd

It seems to be okay, but it comes with an inherent risk.

If you die, your teammates can simply choose to not revive you. And since you can't leave and rejoin, you have the option of being kicked to orbit for being inactive if you stay dead for too long.

Does anyone know what the timer on that is? 5 minutes maybe?

You cannot be fucking serious!?

Ugh, dealing with scrubs who die every 5 seconds is annoying enough.

Omnigul can be a bitch if anyone dies in the wrong spot.

Deku Tree

It really depends what weapon you're using though. A sniper? You're gonna have to reload. Rocket Launcher? You're safer jumping out of the bubble anyway (why not just jump out the Titan bubble?). Machine gun? Reloading again. You're losing out on DPS no matter what you do, so taking a step back while you're reloading won't make much of a difference.

I main Icebreaker against Atheon and try to hit him six times in his crit spot for massive damage. After that I either switch to HMG or scout rifle. I never reload in the relic bubble, it wastes DPS.

LordofPwn

When I use weapons of light on atheon i dip back into my bubble when i reload so i always have the bonus damage, thus glasshouse offers zero benefit to me. I'd rather have ruin wings or helm of saint 14 for added protection against supplicants if 1 were to manage to get close to me.

Playing Combined Arms today to on Blind Watch and Bastion felt SO GOOD!! I missed those maps. I've always like them. Especially Control.

#FBF

You guys act like you have to jump off the platform to dip back in the bubble. Unless somehow you're firing at Atheon 100% of the time without having to reload, you have time to dip back in the bubble while reloading or switching weapons.

I main Icebreaker against Atheon and try to hit him six times in his crit spot for massive damage. After that I either switch to HMG or scout rifle. I never reload in the relic bubble, it wastes DPS.

If I'm not outside the bubble using Gjallarhorn then I use all my HMG ammo then sniper then primary.

I don't reload if I can help it.

Golden Gun is magical against Oracle's and Supplicants but pish against Atheon

After using Bad JuJu and Oversoul Edict it's really hard to use Red Death. It fires way to slow, I always seem to die in between shots.

Hmm I haven't felt that way with it but I haven't compared it to my Bad JuJu yet. Also I'm waiting until I have a secondary exotic weapon to level up so I can have Oversoul Eddict level up with it when I turn in bounties

Yeah, it's out of this world good, and I don't even have the ideal aiming down yet. when I unlock the perk it'll be like superman on earth

It is too beastly and I can't wait to get that perk as well

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Golden Gun is the perfect oracle killer, but it's also the best weapon against Supplicants since they don't explode when you shoot them.

I'd rather kill Atheon with an entire group of Hunters than an entire group of Titans, so maybe that's why I don't consider Glasshouse that worthy.
well, I'd want just one titan, lol.

spoken as though we live in a pre-Black Hammer world! Really though, you're right if you can do it (go back into and out of the bubble while reloading without losing out on any dps). Machine gun in particular, you might as well re-up because of the long animation. It's just that personally, if I move once I've started shooting on him, I always miss crits/have to readjust, which costs something to the tune of 2-3 seconds, but we're talking about a total of like 25-45 seconds of damage to kill him. I literally take my thumb off the left stick while hurting him these days.

for rockets, double jumping out of the titan bubble is a better idea than being in the relic at all though, for sure... for a number of reasons.

anyway, I take it all back, the best exotic for Atheon is Mask of the Third Man, because he is best killed by Arc Blade
A0QUJQl.gif

Oversoul Edict eats up ammo faster than the Vex. Damn!

Three Little Words has much higher impact and range and I have a full auto perk roll on it. Like it more than Edict, but it has no elemental burn.

I find all Pulse Rifles have really slow reloads however.

stb

Wow, thanks for all the responses, folks.

Do you not have enough coins to just outright buy it? Would save you hassle and then you'll have 2 shards.

see fig's post above- it's always better to buy new than to rexurbish if you have the option.

Fig and Hawk: For all relevant intents and purposes, I only have one character, so coins are somewhat limited (39 as of today, and I've done the WH this week). My current UR hasn't been upgraded at all and presently have one exotic shard I've been saving for a rainy day (I have numerous exotic armor pieces that are fully upgraded except for the last bubble, so once I get 3 bits of raid gear upgraded I can hit 32 without being dependent on radiant shards), so the upgrade really only "costs" me the glimmer.

I agree with the general philosophy of buying over rexurbishing, but I'm coin-poor, especially in the context of:

The people who datamined Xur this and last week say that he'll have saint next week.

Supposedly the guy who data mined this week's (and last?) Xur stock said that Saint 14 is coming next week. I guess it could change/be not true, but I might wait rather than burn motes and grind strikes for them.

As accurate as megaman as been, and as reasonable as it seems this new guy could be similarly reliable, I'm a "bird in the hand" guy. If there's a chance for the Saint-14 this weekend, and I DIDN'T buy the engram, I'd kick myself next Friday morning if Xur wasn't selling it.

I already have all the other titan exotic armors, plan on rolling a second titan, and *may* keep working on my level 14 warlock here and there (but he already has a bunch of exotic stuff I've gotten through my titan).

As such, I'm not sure what else I'd use the motes I have for. I don't plan on grinding strikes; I was really asking that more rhetorically than anything.[/quote]

Sure, you can always get more exotic shards.

Yeah, as I get more exotics, shards will logically be more and more common.

No, definitely buy it if you want it. Always buy something you want from Xur. You're like 2-3 hours playtime from being able to equip it.

Yeah; I figure it's a better spend than buying a new UR and getting a shard free because it seems so valuable to warlocks. I'm just having flashbacks to when Saint-14 was for sale and I opted against buying it for something else, even though I knew it was useful.

I still have to run all weeklies and should be on tonight if you are short on coins.

Thanks, but I already ran them on the one character than can do them. I don't think my 14 can do the weekly, and even if he could it'd only be for 3 coins which doesn't really change the economy of the situation.

I've only got 20 motes so I'm going to keep my hopes up that Xur will have the Saint-14 next week. I had no luck trying to get HoPF last week via engrams (wasted ~100 motes) and lo and behold, Xur is selling it this week. Definitely buying it and maybe the Hunter helm just cause I'm a collector.

See, if I was 3 motes short, I probably WOULD grind for that. The first public event for all 3 of your characters could be a mote, a mote could drop from any blue engram, and you definitely get a mote from each level. Some combination of those things is bound to net you 3 motes over a few hours of play you're probably going to do anyway. =)

I would go as far as saying that their aren't many good "massive oversized boss" encounters in the whole FPS genre. That's why I would prefer if Bungie had some other form of "final raid encounter".

Well that's always been a challenge for the FPS genre.

How do you make a boss that is challenging, takes a fair amount of time, but doesn't feel absurd.

Look at Valus. Normal size, attacks like a truck, but has the health pool larger than the southern ocean. But what can you do? You can't just decrease it, otherwise the fight will be over and he won't feel like a boss anymore. In certain situations (like Crota) you can increase their size, that makes them feel huge and thus your bullet less significant. They look like a boss, and their health reflects that now, but this only works in certain situations.

For Destiny, Vex and Hive enemies can grow in size and it's no problem, they're totally Sci-Fi, but Cabal and Fallen seem to be rooted closer to humanoid, and thus their sizes have a sort of cap to them. So creating a good Fallen or Cabal boss is hard. Sepiks works because he's inorganic, but the Archon Priest and Valus are very odd boss fights.

A step in the right direction, as I see it, is actually the Psion Flayers. Multiple strong enemies that work together and feed off each others strengths would be a great boss fight. I only wish the flayers didn't separate as much.

I've said it before, but I really hope that the final boss fight for HoW isn't one Archon, but three. A fireteam of three priests. Each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

Give one a Shrapnel Launcher, another a Wire Rifle, and another a Shock Rifle. Let the Shrapnel guy constantly try to get up close into melee range. Make the Guardians run from him. Give the Wire Rifle guy a crazy distance blink, so he is always teleporting to the far outer edges of the arena. Give the Shock Rifle guy the support role. Let him stay just behind the Shrapnel guy and fire from safety.

That, to me, would be an amazing boss fight. It's not a puzzle like Aetheon, it's not a DPS-fest like Crota, it would be an actual fire fight.

Born2Live

Awesome, hopefully we can get another 3 people. I don't have the Crota CP though so we'll need someone with that if you don't want to run the full raid;

1. blazeuk
2. Yurikerr
3. Ty_84

Once we get 6 I'll send invites.

Have we got a Swordbearer?

LordofPwn

It was great pre-nerf, I used it and told of it's greatness. pulse rifle 2-shot is blasphemy they told me. and i laughed when i killed them with it.

Then they nerfed it, fired faster but no 2-shot.

Now it's buffed and can now 2-shot faster than before the pre-nerf. Red death speaks to it's name. it'll be the new suros in IB. Calling it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom