• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT18| CA$H-4-CROTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Unless somehow you're firing at Atheon 100% of the time without having to reload
-_-

SDqpfpb.jpg

please tell me you guys have experienced how ridiculously good this weapon is for him...

Feorax

Just ran an ROC strike against the Nexus.

Swordbreaker against the anti-cheese Minotaur is obscene. Felt sorry for the poor bastard.

So apparently next week Xur will sell St 14 helmet and the nightfall will be the one on Earth with S Prime and arc burn. Going to be easy with my black hammer, forget the burn I'm stun locking you.

-_-

SDqpfpb.jpg

please tell me you guys have experienced how ridiculously good this weapon is for him...

True true. But the rate of fire isn't so quick and the White Nail perk doesn't require you to fire so fast that you can't just dip back real quick. The damage boost is probably going to be worth the half second of DPS you delay.

Deku Tree

Well that's always been a challenge for the FPS genre.

How do you make a boss that is challenging, takes a fair amount of time, but doesn't feel absurd.

Look at Valus. Normal size, attacks like a truck, but has the health pool larger than the southern ocean. But what can you do? You can't just decrease it, otherwise the fight will be over and he won't feel like a boss anymore. In certain situations (like Crota) you can increase their size, that makes them feel huge and thus your bullet less significant. They look like a boss, and their health reflects that now, but this only works in certain situations.

For Destiny, Vex and Hive enemies can grow in size and it's no problem, they're totally Sci-Fi, but Cabal and Fallen seem to be rooted closer to humanoid, and thus their sizes have a sort of cap to them. So creating a good Fallen or Cabal boss is hard. Sepiks works because he's inorganic, but the Archon Priest and Valus are very odd boss fights.

A step in the right direction, as I see it, is actually the Psion Flayers. Multiple strong enemies that work together and feed off each others strengths would be a great boss fight. I only wish the flayers didn't separate as much.

I've said it before, but I really hope that the final boss fight for HoW isn't one Archon, but three. A fireteam of three priests. Each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

Give one a Shrapnel Launcher, another a Wire Rifle, and another a Shock Rifle. Let the Shrapnel guy constantly try to get up close into melee range. Make the Guardians run from him. Give the Wire Rifle guy a crazy distance blink, so he is always teleporting to the far outer edges of the arena. Give the Shock Rifle guy the support role. Let him stay just behind the Shrapnel guy and fire from safety.

That, to me, would be an amazing boss fight. It's not a puzzle like Aetheon, it's not a DPS-fest like Crota, it would be an actual fire fight.

I agree that it's hard to make a boss fight in an FPS. I like your idea and I think it sounds like it could be a fantastic final Arena raid boss encounter.

I've been trying to think of a good or great fps boss fight and I can't.

Templar and Atheon are probably the best I can think of and that's kinda funny.

Out of the strike bosses.... I dunno, Phogoth is fun and Sepiks is cool, the Walker would be better if it moved (like the Scarab), I'm hoping for bosses that are interesting in Destiny 2.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
But Gjallarhorn also exists and makes him move around. And I guess I'm just not a boss with 100% Black Hammer precision shots.
You can take your time to some degree to proc the effect, it doesn't have to be an immediate followup, and it's totally worth it.

that's sort of a funny point to me though- like, it is a challenge to land all the shots, but it's still easier for me to do that than to move around at all while damaging him and still score 100% crits with any other weapon.

we're talking about the absolute upper echelons of efficacy for this fight, anyway, I'm not really advocating anything at all. When the goal is just "win the fight," people should just use whatever the heck they feel like. Shoot him with No Land Beyond for all I care. I've been thinking about the best possible run, with the goal of "wreck the everloving shit out of him." Him moving around from early rocket shots does lower the DPS of snipers in the group. I think a great strategy if really looking to massacre him would be 6 black hammers firing on him in place until about 33%, then all jump and fire gjallys together (should die before anyone needs to reload).

Navy Bean

Out of the strike bosses.... I dunno, Phogoth is fun and Sepiks is cool, the Walker would be better if it moved (like the Scarab), I'm hoping for bosses that are interesting in Destiny 2.

Wolfenstein had some creative boss fights...although the last boss can kiss my a**.

rNilla

we're talking about the absolute upper echelons of efficacy for this fight, anyway, I'm not really advocating anything at all. When the goal is just "win the fight," people should just use whatever the heck they feel like. Shoot him with No Land Beyond for all I care.

NO! There's only one right way to play this game and we're going to debate it right now!

I used No Land Beyond once (you were there) but I didn't get the feeling that it was appreciated...

I keep getting pulled back to the Metroid Prime series, but that series handled their bosses appropriately.

How do you make a boss that is challenging, takes a fair amount of time, but doesn't feel absurd.

Look at Valus. Normal size, attacks like a truck, but has the health pool larger than the southern ocean. But what can you do? You can't just decrease it, otherwise the fight will be over and he won't feel like a boss anymore. In certain situations (like Crota) you can increase their size, that makes them feel huge and thus your bullet less significant. They look like a boss, and their health reflects that now, but this only works in certain situations.

For Destiny, Vex and Hive enemies can grow in size and it's no problem, they're totally Sci-Fi, but Cabal and Fallen seem to be rooted closer to humanoid, and thus their sizes have a sort of cap to them. So creating a good Fallen or Cabal boss is hard. Sepiks works because he's inorganic, but the Archon Priest and Valus are very odd boss fights.

A step in the right direction, as I see it, is actually the Psion Flayers. Multiple strong enemies that work together and feed off each others strengths would be a great boss fight. I only wish the flayers didn't separate as much.

I've said it before, but I really hope that the final boss fight for HoW isn't one Archon, but three. A fireteam of three priests. Each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

Give one a Shrapnel Launcher, another a Wire Rifle, and another a Shock Rifle. Let the Shrapnel guy constantly try to get up close into melee range. Make the Guardians run from him. Give the Wire Rifle guy a crazy distance blink, so he is always teleporting to the far outer edges of the arena. Give the Shock Rifle guy the support role. Let him stay just behind the Shrapnel guy and fire from safety.

That, to me, would be an amazing boss fight. It's not a puzzle like Aetheon, it's not a DPS-fest like Crota, it would be an actual fire fight.

That sounds pretty cool, reminds me of the gank squad from Dark Souls 2 dlc (Sunken King)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
True true. But the rate of fire isn't so quick and the White Nail perk doesn't require you to fire so fast that you can't just dip back real quick. The damage boost is probably going to be worth the half second of DPS you delay.
Hehe- I guess the real conclusion here is actually, go with what you're most confident in your ability to do in order to get the most damage on him. I was trying to say that for me, I absolutely 100% do the most damage I can to him in a phase by getting my buff, once, and then aiming and standing still and hitting crit after crit without moving my feet until it's time to leave the bubble. I've tried about fourteen million different weapons and attack styles on him at this point, and that's what works best for me (it was actually the case before Black Hammer, but White Nail reallllly formailzed it). If I move at all, beyond the DPS lost while not firing (half second would be impressive, I'd peg it at 2-3!), it takes me a moment to readjust and find the crit spot again... you may not have this issue whatsoever, so by all means embrace the re-up damage boost strategy instead.
NO! There's only one right way to play this game and we're going to debate it right now!

I used No Land Beyond once (you were there) but I didn't get the feeling that it was appreciated...
I actually noticed and withheld all of my DPS that fight intentionally, I knew you had it under control.

phen0m24

I don't think Atheon appreciated it all that much

AtheondyingfromNLB.gif

Dust Palace has always been my favorite boss fight out of all the strikes. It's just different. Maybe not as grand in scale but it's interesting. If only they had different abilities.

Lately though Im appreciating phogoth more than I used to. I like flying around the arena and using the pillars as cover. It's also a lot of fun to stun lock him and even get close enough to him to try and get him to try to smash me and then get away. The rest of the strike bosses are as boring as can get though

i don't like asylum in clash and burning shrine control is awful

I like Asylum so far, but I feel like I can tell how it would easily be exploited by a group of smart people.

Burning Shrine suffers "the points aren't in a triangle/B doesn't have it's own spawn points" syndrome, and thus cannot be a good map.

Hzoltan69

Awesome, hopefully we can get another 3 people. I don't have the Crota CP though so we'll need someone with that if you don't want to run the full raid;

1. blazeuk
2. Yurikerr
3. Ty_84

Once we get 6 I'll send invites.

I'm in if you still need someone. Let me know and I'll log on. PSN: Hzoltan969

FirewalkR

Posting for new page

1. blazeuk
2. Yurikerr
3. Ty_84
4. FirewalkR
5. Macello