• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT18| CA$H-4-CROTA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't hold- press, and you can do it before the animation of the attack is even over. You can't cancel it, but you will drop it asap. The timing is somewhat nuanced though. I got absolutely crushed my first two times trying blink strike out.

Ok, will have to try that. For some reason pressing didn't do it. Maybe I was trying to early. I guess I can practice on any sword, not just at Crota right? Or do the swords in Cosmodrone/moon work different?

Question about Sword usage on Crota. I was doing the blink strike tactic on my Hunter last night to some success, but it always felt like it took longer for me to drop the sword than when I watch others do it. Maybe it just felt like a long time in the moment, but still seemed slow regardless.

I was just mashing R2 attacks and then held triangle to drop sword. Is this the fastest method? Is there some sort of animation cancellation technique to do it quicker? I felt like even being point blank range on Crota and smashing 3 R2's immediately I was nearly out of time to blink strike, yet others can squeeze in 4 R2's. Am I doing something wrong.

1.) Like Hawk said, just press Triangle, don't hold it. You only have to hold Square to pick up the sword. Also, like he said, you can press Triangle as soon as you are done attacking and you will still drop the sword after the animations finish.

2.) There's a glitch where you won't be able to blink strike if you drop the sword and hit melee in too rapid of succession. Your hands actually disappear in this case so that the melee doesn't work and you will just stand there and get smashed, haha. So try to delay the timing between Triangle --> R1 just slightly to ensure this doesn't happen.

3.) Your timing problem is because you are waiting too long to start attacking, i.e. waiting for Scrota to start kneeling. Getting in the higher damage combos requires you to start attacking as soon as you see his shield is gone, not when the kneeling animation begins. Pan the camera up so you can see the shield indicator and it also helps if your teammates are really on point with their rocket timing so you can safely start attacking right when the rockets are striking (no delay waiting and watching for the shield break).

This can also be a lag issue where you attack when his shield should be gone but he'll smash you before actually registering the shield break. Helps to be the host and also helps to make sure teammates overkill if possible with rockets to ensure the shield break comes.

From back in September:

B_DvK7EW8AEZqmf.jpg:large

Maybe the most shocking thing of this picture is Atheon's Epilogue as my go-to primary. Makes me sad that nobody remembers what a beast this thing was before the AR nerfs decimated it. Also: that's my Xur-bought Gally, lol.

Very cool blast from the past. That is really impressive for September. Even as a Day 1 player, I don't think I entered Vault of Glass until early October as a level 28. I was fortunate enough to get an Atheon Epilogue on that run, but never got to see it in its prime since the nerf had already happened. It has only ever been used for Voidburn and Thorn bounty :/

You have definitely put in the hours. I once remarked you have more hours on your least played alt than my main, and that is still true. Even if you take away all your Sherpa'ing (which is substantial), I'm sure the time played for yourself is still quite a bit. Having 3 characters to get 3x NF/Atheon drops for several months adds up on the Exotics.

I had 1 character for pretty much all of Vanialla Destiny. Two characters for most of TDB release and a 3rd as of the last 2 weeks. That alone I have seen a huge uptick in my incoming Exotics, both from RNG and Xur. I am kicking myself for not having 3 characters earlier. I didn't think I would be able to support 3, and in a way I don't since I can't raid with all 3 every week, but I can at least do NF and a Raid or two and that helps a lot.

1.) Like Hawk said, just press Triangle, don't hold it. You only have to hold Square to pick up the sword. Also, like he said, you can press Triangle as soon as you are done attacking and you will still drop the sword after the animations finish.

2.) There's a glitch where you won't be able to blink strike if you drop the sword and hit melee in too rapid of succession. Your hands actually disappear in this case so that the melee doesn't work and you will just stand there and get smashed, haha. So try to delay the timing between Triangle --> R1 just slightly to ensure this doesn't happen.

3.) Your timing problem is because you are waiting too long to start attacking, i.e. waiting for Scrota to start kneeling. Getting in the higher damage combos requires you to start attacking as soon as you see his shield is gone, not when the kneeling animation begins. Pan the camera up so you can see the shield indicator and it also helps if your teammates are really on point with their rocket timing so you can safely start attacking right when the rockets are striking (no delay waiting and watching for the shield break).

This can also be a lag issue where you attack when his shield should be gone but he'll smash you before actually registering the shield break. Helps to be the host and also helps to make sure teammates overkill if possible with rockets to ensure the shield break comes.

Thanks for the tips, will try them out next time.

Load up fist of crota and practice sword drop blink strike pickup.

Profit.

Was just thinking that after I posted. Great Idea, Thanks.

Deku Tree

I'm happy to do HM Crota whenever, I'll go ahead and load up Destiny and just do whatever in the meantime. Just send me a game or party chat invite when people are ready.

Great! Thanks. We have several people playing PvP who want to jump into HM Crota. And also lunlun. We are in a party chat and we can try to start when your ready.

LTWood12

Me and t-44 looking to kill Crota one more time on hard for the week. Anyone have the checkpoint/want to run it? We'll need a slicer too. I may be on vita. Wow, I'm kind of asking a lot here. Sorry!

LTWood12

Great! Thanks. We have several people playing PvP who want to jump into HM Crota. And also lunlun. We are in a party chat and we can try to start when your ready.

Forgot to mention: Hold forward on the left analog stick and try not to spam R2 too hard, usually get faster/cleaner smashes this way. Or be a true sword pro and don't just spam R2 all day, haha jk :)

If y'all need 2 more we'd love to join.

Question about Sword usage on Crota. I was doing the blink strike tactic on my Hunter last night to some success, but it always felt like it took longer for me to drop the sword than when I watch others do it. Maybe it just felt like a long time in the moment, but still seemed slow regardless.

I was just mashing R2 attacks and then held triangle to drop sword. Is this the fastest method? Is there some sort of animation cancellation technique to do it quicker? I felt like even being point blank range on Crota and smashing 3 R2's immediately I was nearly out of time to blink strike, yet others can squeeze in 4 R2's. Am I doing something wrong.
I believe this might be my field of speciality! Since I spam R2 a lot and loudly :3 if you hit up and R2 at the same time, it will actually speed up the R2 slams. Once you get a better feel for Crota's shields, you know when you have enough time to sneak in another the 4th R2 or not. I normally am able to get 4xR2 for the first shield break of the first sword. Follow by 3xR2 for the second shield break. Normally that leaves crota's health by the comma. Afterwards you just have to get 6xR2 each sword phases.

Forgot to mention: Hold forward on the left analog stick and try not to spam R2 too hard, usually get faster/cleaner smashes this way. Or be a true sword pro and don't just spam R2 all day, haha jk :)

Yep, after I get a little more comfortable with it I will go for the combo attack. Seems much more efficient and doesn't require 3 shield breaks per sword to do a 2 sword finish in HM Crota.

What does pressing forward on analog stick do while mashing R2?

Edit: ^iRawr for the precognition answer.

Agent

So, after 35+ Atheon clears it finally happened. I received my first Atheons Epilogue.

I'm going to shard it.

i've kept my epilogue in my inventory ever since i got it. the one day i take it out, i end up struggling on oracles.

if you VoG regularly, you'll need it for oracles. i think word of crota makes it obsolete for void burns though.

i've kept my epilogue in my inventory ever since i got it. the one day i take it out, i end up struggling on oracles.

if you VoG regularly, you'll need it for oracles. i think word of crota makes it obsolete for void burns though.

I always thoughy AE was terrible on Hard VoG but it was also the only VoG weapon I had for a while and everyone set me straight. I tried VoC, and while an excellent gun overall, it isn't as efficient on Oracles as AE, at least for the Atheon encounter. Keeping AE for as long as VoG is around.

Arrrammis

Personally, I just use found verdict for oracles. It could one shot them before the shotgun buff if you hit them close enough, now they don't stand a chance. That said, AE is probably the most effective primary for oracles, but (for me at least) the least effective for everything else besides praetorian shields.

Personally, I just use found verdict for oracles. It could one shot them before the shotgun buff if you hit them close enough, now they don't stand a chance. That said, AE is probably the most effective primary for oracles, but (for me at least) the least effective for everything else besides praetorian shields.

What do you use during Times Veangence? Do you swap to a sniper and back?

the heavy ammo change has been great for skirmish, but they need to go a step further, the ammo it gives you should either be cut in half, or heavy should only spawn once during the game at the 5 minute mark. maybe both changes could work. i played a lot of stalemates where one team would camp their side of the map waiting for heavy to spawn.

in skirmish, most teams pile all 3 players on heavy ammo, which means you have to send 2 players to contest them while one person grabs the other heavy (otherwise they'll spawn behind you and get it and you'll be dead so you wont have any heavies). so you're already disadvantaged contesting heavy unless you have a super. if you don't stop them, then they have heavies for days. some teams switch out their last words specifically to use truth so it's a guaranteed kill. others using LMGs can run it for the rest of the game if they don't die. and then it just snowballs from there.

i've skrimmed a few teams and we play without heavies entirely for this reason. too much reward for little risk

Is there a clan that I can join that just focus on raids and nightfalls (basically PVE) by any chance?
Don't think there's any clans for PvE besides kadey's clan. Normally post here :p
Yep, after I get a little more comfortable with it I will go for the combo attack. Seems much more efficient and doesn't require 3 shield breaks per sword to do a 2 sword finish in HM Crota.

What does pressing forward on analog stick do while mashing R2?

Edit: ^iRawr for the precognition answer.
The combo is a little tricky, you have to literally hit him as he is kneeing right when the shield break occurs. I attempt it once..nope. Second time I manage to get it in time, however I felt I didn't do enough dmg since I normally hit R2. But I acutally did too much dmg. If you can't get 4xR2, hit crota with R1 at the end of the 3xR2. I believe, ask drizzay for the numbers :p, 2xR1 is equal to ~1xR2.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
lovely 5-person sword school tonight, always love the classroom kills where I don't even have to touch it :D
What do you use during Times Veangence? Do you swap to a sniper and back?
if you're running a shotty during atheon I'd say an MG or Gjally should be your boss DPS wep.

I've deleted all my atheon's epilogues. I truly loathe it. CM serves me more than fine if I need to solo oracles, otherwise VoC or honestly, whatever, works just fine with two people who are focused on hitting them asap.

Do we have a datamine on the House of Wolves Raid weapons? It looks like they are going to have each element for each weapon class and each Unique Exotic.

Looking forward to a Void Scout and whatever unique Void Exotic they are cooking up.

lovely 5-person sword school tonight, always love the classroom kills where I don't even have to touch it :D

if you're running a shotty during atheon I'd say an MG or Gjally should be your boss DPS wep.

I've deleted all my atheon's epilogues. I truly loathe it. CM serves me more than fine if I need to solo oracles, otherwise VoC or honestly, whatever, works just fine with two people who are focused on hitting them asap.

Still missing CM and Fatebringer from VoG. I would love to give CM a shot. Someone mentiones Thunderlord was good for Atheon. I might try a VoC, FV, Thunderlord run for next Atheon.

patchday

Yo thanks Hawkian cant believe I got my first crota kill (as sword wielder) tonight! That was awesome

Maybe the most shocking thing of this picture is Atheon's Epilogue as my go-to primary. Makes me sad that nobody remembers what a beast this thing was before the AR nerfs decimated it. Also: that's my Xur-bought Gally, lol.

I don't think purple rain was ever all that good. We just didn't know any better back then. I think I dropped purple rain as soon as I maxed my Vision of Confluence! Maybe I used AE a little bit every now and then because it can hold more ammo and +void was great against praetorians.

That being said I was far from the best VoG raider. never could clear HM atheon as a L29. As soon as I hit 30 post-Crota I got him on my first try :/

Oh btw, I vastly prefer Word Of Crota to AE when I need void!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Still missing CM and Fatebringer from VoG. I would love to give CM a shot. Someone mentiones Thunderlord was good for Atheon. I might try a VoC, FV, Thunderlord run for next Atheon.
Yeah awesome loadout for it, no question.
Yo thanks Hawkian cant believe I got my first crota kill (as sword wielder) tonight! That was awesome
I had no idea that was your first one! right on. Great job :D

Restarted my router, logging back in now.

My buddy Jupiter jumped in front of my rocket in the ogre room on that last run.... to throw a nova bomb.... blargh...

edit: seems like maybe PSN/Destiny servers are jacked up...?

Not sure if it's just my internet or something with PSN/Destiny or what but it's completely FUBAR'ed right now.

Sorry everyone, I'm sure you can get somebody else to hop in there and bust him out. Should have had him on either of those attempts if not for (1) 3rd sword falling through floor then (2) crazy lag nonsense with enemies teleporting all over making Ogres spawn way late and then my buddy was out of position when they finally did spawn. Oh well, such a boring fight, you guys will get him next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom