• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT18| CA$H-4-CROTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

nOoblet16

True, but except for cheesy Nightfall Phogoth, all the other bosses at least let you enter the room to fight the boss in.

Under no circumstance do you want to really be in Omnigul's room. You will very likely die. Imagine fighting Valus from the adjacent room? And then give him an elemental shield you have to drop everytime you pop back around the corner.

Yea Omnigul is the only strike (and I don't mean jut nightfalls) where you don't actually fight while staying in the same room as the boss, it's hard even while playing ROC as a level 32. It's one of the worst encounter design in the game because of what you said ie. agile boss, respawning enemies along with the location of the boss in the room + the shield and wizards all of who have a never ending booming attacks.

It's the entire reason I always skip that strike if it shows up in ROC, I also skip Undying mind all the time with no regrets because it's one of the least imaginative strikes encounter design wise again. Just the last story mission in reverse with wave after waves of enemies who don't drop shit. Devil's Lair, Dust Palace, Archon Priest and even Valus are very enjoyable strikes.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
I believe part of the reason that Destiny is more discussed for PS4 is that XB1 has more variety in the sci-fi shooter realm with Halo and Titanfall. There are simply more games that are thematically similiar on XB1 right now so it spreads the online discussion out a bit more. As an XB1 player, I've never had any issues getting good fireteams on Destinylfg.net. I ran my first CE raid this past week with a team of 2x 32 and 4x 31, and we cleared it without too many issues.

Do you remember the old control points on Blind Watch?

Yes, and I didn't see a problem with them. The new points have not really changed the map. Again it comes down to play style. And not trying to play every map the same way. So many people hate EB on earth just because they died alot. Without thinking about how to approach and hold the B point on that map.

Since we are talking about things that are broken, why on earth did bungie place the radar where it would be covered by pop up messages? When there is perfectly usable space in the bottom right corner. I understand that most people don't use it or even understand how to use it. But I get so angry when something pops up right in the heat of battle and I can't see the radar.

border

Yea Omnigul is the only strike (and I don't mean jut nightfalls) where you don't actually fight while staying in the same room as the boss, it's hard even while playing ROC as a level 32. It's one of the worst encounter design in the game because of what you said ie. agile boss, respawning enemies along with the location of the boss in the room + the shield and wizards all of who have a never ending booming attacks.
True, but except for cheesy Nightfall Phogoth, all the other bosses at least let you enter the room to fight the boss in.

Under no circumstance do you want to really be in Omnigul's room. You will very likely die. Imagine fighting Valus from the adjacent room? And then give him an elemental shield you have to drop everytime you pop back around the corner.

The Omnigul cheese spot is in the main boss room. It's the closet behind her catwalk. Set up one person hiding in the back right of the closet to handle revives while the other two DPS her. No killing adds whatsoever. If your two DPS people have an Abyss Defiant she will get absolutely wrecked.

I suppose you could fight the other bosses legitimately, but why would you? But I do agree that Omnigul's end room is the worst, to the point where people either hide in the closet or just stay outside.

It's also the smallest boss area by a crazy factor. It's like 1/4th the fighting space or smaller compared to every other boss room. Maybe 1/3rd the size of the Undying mind, but that's it.

The Omnigul cheese spot is in the main boss room. It's the closet behind her catwalk. Set up one person hiding in the back right of the closet to handle revives while the other two DPS her. No killing adds whatsoever. If your two DPS people have an Abyss Defiant she will get absolutely wrecked.

I don't think of this because it requires two people. Every other strike has a single person cheese spot.

Deku Tree

Destiny selling better on Xbox makes sense mostly because that's where the Halo/Bungie audience is. But bring up the fact that Destiny XB1 outsold the PS4 version for like 4-5 months running in NPD and you get a bunch of people who absolutely refuse to believe it, and additionally assert that any completely unknown data (digital, bundles) must favor the Sony SKU "just because".

I don't really care... And I'm not sensitive about it... But it's not "just because"... And I'm not "refusing to believe it"... Look I am not the 100% source on the data and no one else here is either... but I sometimes read the NPD threads a little bit and the people in there are very hardcore about saving leaked numbers in spreadsheets and counting everything carefully and they have said in the past that Destiny on PS4 is selling slightly better even in retail NPD numbers if you include the white Destiny PS4 numbers. And yes without including bundles Destiny is selling better in retail NPD on x1. That's it. (Disclaimer: I don't have the latest info and I'm not a hardcore GAF NPD thread poster.)

Yes, and I didn't see a problem with them. The new points have not really changed the map. Again it comes down to play style. And not trying to play every map the same way. So many people hate EB on earth just because they died alot. Without thinking about how to approach and hold the B point on that map.

Since we are talking about things that are broken, why on earth did bungie place the radar where it would be covered by pop up messages? When there is perfectly usable space in the bottom right corner. I understand that most people don't use it or even understand how to use it. But I get so angry when something pops up right in the heat of battle and I can't see the radar.

there were no sightlines into old B until you were at shotgun range. you could also simultaneously defend the main entry points to B and C from the same room. C was just as much of a death trap as B, and few people i played with knew how to successfully take it. I can't remember ever capping C without dying from a titan at the last second.

i couldn't stand it before the changes, but now it's at least manageable if everyone understands how to push and defend C. they're bandaid fixes no doubt, but i'll take blind watch control over burning shrine or anomaly.

nOoblet16

It's a cheese spot, that's the point. What do you have outside of that ?
You could play every other strike while being in the boss room, and I am just talking about normal ROC strikes. Omnigul just becomes annoying if you don't play the strike from outside the room or the cheese spot.

it's not though

i haven't had a problem with autos since the beta. the first nerf last year put them in their place and the only things that felt like they were overstepping their range thereafter were fusion rifles and shotguns.

the only thing that's broken IMO is blink shotgun.

No more broken than a blade dancer or a striker titan. Neither of which I have problems dealing with, despite all the rage against blade dancers.

I agree with you about autos, yes pulse rifles needed a slight buff, but everything else was fine. I don't even play much pvp, don't really have the time. But my combat rating is above 90% across my characters, with the ones I use more often having the highest rating. If I played more it would just increase because I would only get better, will people start asking bungie to nerf me?

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I got her first upgrade yesterday. Poi~

Also, this:

I think Control is terribly designed because on every map, you know after two minutes if your team will win or lose and that depends almost entirely on whether you spawn as Alpha or Bravo. Swings only happen if you are playing with/against randoms who don't understand map control or if one team is simply better than the other. They probably needed to copy Domination or whatever that mode is in CoD, but the maps seem way more suited for CTF as an objective mode than for a zone control mode.

It's also the smallest boss area by a crazy factor. It's like 1/4th the fighting space or smaller compared to every other boss room. Maybe 1/3rd the size of the Undying mind, but that's it.

I don't think of this because it requires two people. Every other strike has a single person cheese spot.

Yeah true, but this one I feel takes the longest, especially with no burn + lightswitch
Oh yeah. It's why the people I know who still do strikes will basically leave a strike if it's Omnigul. No reason to put yourself through it if you don't have to.

"The Queen's bounty is high."

So why don't we see even not even a dime of it?

I hate pre-strike and post-strike dialogue, they're so poorly written.

Every single strike ends with a voice over saying.

"Good job beating back [alien race x], but your efforts on the grand scheme of things were worthless, as more will be back and blah blah blah..."

Seriously, find a strike outro that doesn't paraphrase, "...but, really you're efforts didn't mean much."

I think Control is terribly designed because on every map, you know after two minutes if your team will win or lose and that depends almost entirely on whether you spawn as Alpha or Bravo. Swings only happen if you are playing with/against randoms who don't understand map control or if one team is simply better than the other. They probably needed to copy Domination or whatever that mode is in CoD, but the maps seem way more suited for CTF as an objective mode than for a zone control mode.

Control maps work best on maps that where B has it's own spawn points. Any map that doesn't have a dedicated spawn point for B is flawed from the get-go.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This!

I love my VoC, it is a sublime gun, but I would drop it in a heartbeat for a Badger with Field Scout and Firefly.
eep
Q4WScvi.png
No Field Scout but Hammer Forged makes it pretty killer anyway. Gotta find a way to make use of this thing somehow...

Can Ghelons Demose 1 hit trash? If so, I will do whatever it takes to grind it out in next IB. Will have to prep my Wife beforehand for the long PvP time.
Do it.

border

I don't really care... And I'm not sensitive about it... But it's not "just because"... And I'm not "refusing to believe it"... Look I am not the 100% source on the data and no one else here is either... but I sometimes read the NPD threads a little bit and the people in there are very hardcore about saving leaked numbers in spreadsheets and counting everything carefully and they have said in the past that Destiny on PS4 is selling slightly better even in retail NPD numbers if you include the white Destiny PS4 numbers. And yes without including bundles Destiny is selling better in retail NPD on x1. That's it. (Disclaimer: I don't have the latest info and I'm not a hardcore GAF NPD thread poster.)

The difference I mean is that if you were to make a similar claim like "Shadow of Mordor sold better on PS4" or "Assassin's Creed Unity sold better on PS4" that claim would go completely uncontested -- no whining about bundles or digital sales or other vague/unknown figures that could even the sales tally. OTOH, anyone who makes a note about Destiny's seemingly superior performance on the XB1 is almost instantly contradicted and dog-piled.

Also, this:

Oh yeah. It's why the people I know who still do strikes will basically leave a strike if it's Omnigul. No reason to put yourself through it if you don't have to.

i admit i like that control isn't just a straight forward "capture and defend" game mode. there's at least some meta game to the way the zones are contested. in competitive matches on firebase delphi for example, nobody touches C. it literally sits there neutral for the whole game because nobody wants to spawn there.

blind watch with randoms isn't as bad because a good player can single handedly flip the spawns. but if your whole team doesn't go for A on firebase delphi, you're fucked.

Ambitious

"Good job beating back [alien race x], but your efforts on the grand scheme of things were worthless, as more will be back and blah blah blah..."

Seriously, find a strike outro that doesn't paraphrase, "...but, really you're efforts didn't mean much."

I actually always mute my speakers during the strike introductions. Can't deal with this shit.

"you did it, but you're going to have to replay it a million times so you didn't really do anything"

also, am i the only one who can't stand the way gina torres voices ikora?

Also, this:

Bolded is untrue, win or loose is determined by your teams will to win, I have seen many matches turn from a horrible loss to a win many times. I have seen many teams cheer because the got to so called preferred spawn, and get dominated. It's all about how you and your team play the given map.

No more broken than a blade dancer or a striker titan. Neither of which I have problems dealing with, despite all the rage against blade dancers.

I agree with you about autos, yes pulse rifles needed a slight buff, but everything else was fine. I don't even play much pvp, don't really have the time. But my combat rating is above 90% across my characters, with the ones I use more often having the highest rating. If I played more it would just increase because I would only get better, will people start asking bungie to nerf me?

the way i expected shotguns to work wsa that you'd pull them out if an enemy got too close, or you'd use it to hold down a chokepoint. with blink in the game, they're given a ridiculous amount of offensive power to the point where it's more effective as a primary than any of the primaries on most maps.

This!

I love my VoC, it is a sublime gun, but I would drop it in a heartbeat for a Badger with Field Scout and Firefly.

Rapier is a good gun, but the impact is just low enough to make it a tradeoff, even with lots of Firefly procs.

Badger has the Impact to make it a 1 hit wonder on trash and Firefly to steamroll everything.

Can Ghelons Demose 1 hit trash? If so, I will do whatever it takes to grind it out in next IB. Will have to prep my Wife beforehand for the long PvP time.

My badger has firefly and luck in the chamber... it's a flippin' beast.

"you did it, but you're going to have to replay it a million times so you didn't really do anything"

also, am i the only one who can't stand the way gina torres voices ikora?

Honestly, I don't like most of the voice work in Destiny. Everything just seems so flat and uninspired. Like the VA's were only allowed one take on every line and they didn't get a chance to actually act.

Cayde has the most fluctuation with his voice, but it's still not much.

border

It's a cheese spot, that's the point. What do you have outside of that ?
You could play every other strike while being in the boss room, and I am just talking about normal ROC strikes. Omnigul just becomes annoying if you don't play the strike from outside the room or the cheese spot.

Now that you can 1-shot pretty much any Knight with a shotgun, I suspect Omnigul might be quite playable as a Roc Strike.....if you have a team that's dedicated to taking out adds/respawns.

As a Nightfall it's too risky to stay in the main room, but everybody cheeses every Nightfall anyhow. I feel like the stiff failure penalty kinda ruins those strikes, since almost everyone would rather play slow and boring than risk wiping with a more effective strategy.

LTWood12

eep

No Field Scout but Hammer Forged makes it pretty killer anyway. Gotta find a way to make use of this thing somehow...

Literally got the exact same roll from a Vanguard package a few days ago. Haven't leveled it yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Deku Tree

Honestly, I don't like most of the voice work in Destiny. Everything just seems so flat and uninspired. Like the VA's were only allowed one take on every line and they didn't get a chance to actually act.

A lot of the time now I play with the volume down very low or off and I am listening to something else unless I have my Sony Gold's on and I am playing with a fire team. Otherwise I am listening to the same non-senese for the million millionth time.

A lot of the time now I play with the volume down very low or off and I am listening to something else unless I have my Sony Gold's on and I am playing with a fire team. Otherwise I am listening to the same non-senese for the million millionth time.

strikes with music on is pretty chill. repetitive perhaps, but entertaining nonetheless.

the way i expected shotguns to work wsa that you'd pull them out if an enemy got too close, or you'd use it to hold down a chokepoint. with blink in the game, they're given a ridiculous amount of offensive power to the point where it's more effective as a primary than any of the primaries on most maps.

Honestly, I still think secondary ammo as a whole needs to be reduced in PvP.

I truly think you should not start with an secondary ammo, and they should be on timers just like heavy.

Heavy spawns every 210 seconds. Lets put secondary ammo on a 90 second timer and reduce some of the ammo crates in each map. You should never be able to see two ammo crates on the screen at the time because they are that close together.

Edit: That said, killing a player should drop primary ammo every time and secondary ammo should work like heavy did before this last patch.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I find Eris' VO work to be a cut above all the other actors. I like the way she enunciates things. :)
border said:
I suspect Omnigul might be quite playable as a Roc Strike
I've done it, you can fight her head on her platform with shotguns to the face and duck behind cover and frankly it's fun as fuck. I'm pretty deeply unsatisfied with the bread-and-butter strategy for that boss, though on Arc burn it's difficult to suggest anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom