• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT18| CA$H-4-CROTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindlog

Some highlights from PvP this week

What to do when you have no bullets left
http://share.gifyoutube.com/mLJlbp.webm

Vanish is the best R2
http://share.gifyoutube.com/vqRMEd.webm

Hawkmooning
http://share.gifyoutube.com/KRJQNY.webm
I welcome weekly WEBM highlights!
Full size 5MB 22 second highlight of my first? Buckshot Bruiser medal. I've only been playing with Blink for one weekend so I still get lost!
Buckshot Bruiser
Alternate title: B is ours!

The weekend had a bunch of weird games. I got Mark of the Unbroken and then kept getting dropped into losing games in progress.

Anyone remember the Assault mode from Unreal Tournament 2004?

It was a pretty amazing objective-based PvP mode. One team had to fulfill a set of objectives, while the other team had to prevent them from doing so. My two favorite levels were Convoy, in which the attacking team had to steal missiles from a moving convoy and Mothership, in which the attacking team had to infiltrate and destroy a huge mothership (you can actually fly a small spacecraft in this one).

Something like that could be awesome in Destiny. However, it would require new maps and some actual work, so it won't happen. Can't expect that from the devs who disable the on-screen radar and call it a new PvP mode.
I loved this in UT2k4, but reach pretty much had this and it suffered for it. Reach had invasion and while it was okay, it needed its own maps which deterred from the rest of PvP. It just didn't work well for some reason.

Anyone remember the Assault mode from Unreal Tournament 2004?

It was a pretty amazing objective-based PvP mode. One team had to fulfill a set of objectives, while the other team had to prevent them from doing so. My two favorite levels were Convoy, in which the attacking team had to steal missiles from a moving convoy and Mothership, in which the attacking team had to infiltrate and destroy a huge mothership (you can actually fly a small spacecraft in this one).

Something like that could be awesome in Destiny. However, it would require new maps and some actual work, so it won't happen. Can't expect that from the devs who disable the on-screen radar and call it a new PvP mode.

Destiny could use a true support class and some modes with objectives. As flawed as Killzone Shadowfall is, I really like Warzone and wish destiny had something like that.

Anyone wanna help a lowly 27 through VoG HM or CE NM? I've been having the worst luck with RNG and need some good news with a lot of stress in the rest of my life . . .

I won't be on till 8 PM EST (4+ hours), but I could solo the lamps in CE for you. Takes about 5 mins, and you might get boots or something. Don't have the time to do a whole normal CE, since I'm doing a hard crota kill tonight. Can help more after the reset though.

Already on your friends list, Dr_LawyerCop.

It reminds me so much of Castlevania Symphony of the Night. Can't wait to try BB.

yeah lots of influence from classic games, especially Zelda and CV. Souls games can be hard to like but easy to love if you spend enough time with them.

I didn't mean it to come off so harsh. the pacing falls off as your character starts to become very powerful and steamroll to the end.. It is a side effect of the game being "open" at the end and not as directed.

Artoious of the Abyss however, made up for a lot of shortcomongs by being the best DLC ever created.

Your post wasn't harsh at all, I didn't mean my response to sound harsh either. I tend to be "passionate" about certain things and it can come off as harsh in the limited-communication space of Internet forums. I like hearing peoples' opinions and trying to understand why they feel the way they do, diving more into the details. Not sure if that makes sense...

While the open ended part is very true, the pacing can vary a lot from player to player depending on their skill level and player character level. Personally I never felt remotely powerful, and many 2nd half parts were more of a struggle than the first half (4 Kings was a huge wall for w/e reason, more than O&S). I rarely summoned and never did any grinding or FAQ reading, not that either would be required to steam roll. It just speaks to how an objective game design can result in huge variations of both objective and subjective player experiences, i.e. killed a boss 1st try and felt powerful OR killed boss 15th try and felt disempowered OR killed boss 50th try and felt powerful. All valid experiences.

As for Souls things we agree about
:)
AoA is easily the best DLC I've ever played.

I took 4th Horseman for a whirl on patrols yesterday and was able to decimate all the 'Elimiate Target" public events that I've had trouble with before. Maybe that is just an indication of the shotgun buff in general but for the first time I felt like 4th Horseman was worth using.

is there anyone still rocking one class? i'll be making a titan sometime before HoW, but i don't see the rush. i can't imagine doing the weekly stuff three times, and then feeling behind if i miss one.

ocean

Banned
I took 4th Horseman for a whirl on patrols yesterday and was able to decimate all the 'Elimiate Target" public events that I've had trouble with before. Maybe that is just an indication of the shotgun buff in general but for the first time I felt like 4th Horseman was worth using.
Shotguns in general. Shielded Praetorians that used to eat a Grenade, a full clip of Atheon's Epilogue and some change now go down in less than a single shotgun mag, it takes seconds.

Shotguns in general are the most insane DPS in the game right now for any enemy you get get close to without some AoE attack killing you.

Skele7on

Banned
I loved this in UT2k4, but reach pretty much had this and it suffered for it. Reach had invasion and while it was okay, it needed its own maps which deterred from the rest of PvP. It just didn't work well for some reason.

The problem with it in reach is because there was no defined ranking system other than that awful arena is that people used it to get "OMGZ beast KD's" and the game time was not used as it should had been.

I thought it was cool whilst it lasted. I think what Destiny needs is more classic game types like odd ball, KOTH and CTF.

Also ranked play would help a lot as it would help new players play new players and vets play better players...

That's more the shotgun perk. I did the same thing with sword breaker right after the patch.

ocean

Banned
is there anyone still rocking one class? i'll be making a titan sometime before HoW, but i don't see the rush. i can't imagine doing the weekly stuff three times, and then feeling behind if i miss one.
It makes reaching level cap harder since you can't douvle your chances by running the same class until you get the new Raid set and special materials. To be fair, that only sets you back by a few resets. The diversity of playing all classes outweighs the race to level cap IMO.

Welp lvl27 is too low for VoG HM or CE NM. The level scaling puts you at a ~50% and greater disadvantage. I dont think you can dmg anything at that level. You can beat it but you're gonna get carry hard.

. . .

edit:
I also sent you an friend request. I can help you kill Scrota if Drizzay doesnt have the time whenever.

Awesome! I will be on at that time! I'll look for you assuming I haven't done it yet.

I won't be on till 8 PM EST (4+ hours), but I could solo the lamps in CE for you. Takes about 5 mins, and you might get boots or something. Don't have the time to do a whole normal CE, since I'm doing a hard crota kill tonight. Can help more after the reset though.

Already on your friends list, Dr_LawyerCop.

I'll be around tonight. 5 min for a legendary drop? Sounds good to me :D This community gets a lot of grief, but it seems pretty damn cool to me so far . . .

Can't expect that from the devs who disable the on-screen radar and call it a new PvP mode.

Where's the like button on this website... Or up vote or whatever the kids are using....

My favorite part of Inferno is how they apparently thought people would play more conservatively and therefore lowered the score limit 25% to ensure matches would still finish on time... But the exact opposite happened due to the combination of map designs, movement speeds and all the insta-gib weapons/attacks. So now matches end in a flash and they effectively removed heavy ammo completely, except sometimes on the larger maps they make a brief cameo appearance.

Weapon load out selection became: primary I will ignore 90% of the match, sniper for big maps/shotty for everything else, and any legendary weapon to collect dust in the heavy spot.

I have yet to make a hunter, and don't see myself doing so until vault space is addressed. I have two titans and a warlock, and I don't want to lose any of my weapons or armor/armour. With my vault being full I don't really have a choice but to wait. Already have full set of legendary for hunter, and even most exotics minus RDM. I think that's the only one I'm missing.

noomi

anyone have the normal deathsinger checkpoint *looks at drizz* <3

Actually let me ask a question....

I currently have the hard crota CP... so if I also get the normal deathsinger CP, if I login before reset to sit and wait at deathsinger while someone grabs it will I still be able to load up the hard crota CP to transfer over as well? Or can I only do one.... this is a confusing question... I know...

As long as I don't logout/change characters it should work, no?

It's not really that bad. 1 NF and Heroic is like 30-40 minute investment on a maxed out character per week. The raids are just extra if that is your thing. The grind for class mats is actually the biggest hurdle of a new character. I have bought probably 100 helms from the quartermaster to dismantle to keep up with the blistering pace of leveling my Titan.

I'm still on the hunt for it and Red Death, so those two and the few pieces of exotic armor I don't have will keep me going for a while.
i just got my third Vex today, and i'm getting multiples of some really cool exotics (like Thunderlord, sorry!) but i still have yet to get lucky with Suros, Red Death, Gjallarhorn, and /all/ of the expansion exotics... :(

Love the Vanguard bounties today, 20k XP in under 10min. If you're not going to bother changing 6 month old bounties this is the least you can do Bungie.

It makes reaching level cap harder since you can't douvle your chances by running the same class until you get the new Raid set and special materials. To be fair, that only sets you back by a few resets. The diversity of playing all classes outweighs the race to level cap IMO.

i mean, i have 3 hunters.

i could make the other classes, but i don't see myself as them, if it makes sense. there are better bubblebros out there than me, and there are locks far more graceful.

i'm a lone gunslinger. having another class is no different than having an exotic i'd never use, like invective.

This community gets a lot of grief, but it seems pretty damn cool to me so far . . .

....who's been talking smack? Let's sic fig on them. She can cuss people out... To death!

But in seriousness I'll be around tonight also, very quick and easy to get carried through NM CE, maybe 30 min for the whole raid with a few experienced people. You couldn't contribute much as Rawr said but you could at least learn how the encounters work.

Where's the like button on this website... Or up vote or whatever the kids are using....

My favorite part of Inferno is how they apparently thought people would play more conservatively and therefore lowered the score limit 25% to ensure matches would still finish on time... But the exact opposite happened due to the combination of map designs, movement speeds and all the insta-gib weapons/attacks. So now matches end in a flash and they effectively removed heavy ammo completely, except sometimes on the larger maps they make a brief cameo appearance.

Weapon load out selection became: primary I will ignore 90% of the match, sniper for big maps/shotty for everything else, and any legendary weapon to collect dust in the heavy spot.

for a game mode named inferno, it (like most of destiny) could use some more time in the oven.

This community gets a lot of grief, but it seems pretty damn cool to me so far . . .
frankly if you don't mind me asking what did you mean the community gets a lot of grief? Or are you talking about destiny in general? Hmm destiny in general is a complete grind fest without any indication of what does what. It doesn't explain much.

I personally believe the destinygaf community is one of the best, if not the best gaming community I have experienced.

anyone have the normal deathsinger checkpoint *looks at drizz* <3

Actually let me ask a question....

I currently have the hard crota CP... so if I also get the normal deathsinger CP, if I login before reset to sit and wait at deathsinger while someone grabs it will I still be able to load up the hard crota CP to transfer over as well? Or can I only do one.... this is a confusing question... I know...

As long I I don't logout/change characters it should work, no?
well unless there's a secert patch to prevent this, if you remain log in you should be able to load up another checkpoint. I haven't done that in awhile but I remember drizzay saying how he was booted from the game when he tried to load another checkpoint last week.

phen0m24

i just got my third Vex today, and i'm getting multiples of some really cool exotics (like Thunderlord, sorry!) but i still have yet to get lucky with Suros, Red Death, Gjallarhorn, and /all/ of the expansion exotics... :(

Don't tell Drizzy. He still doesn't have T-lord.

He has like 7 Hawkmoons and 6 Gjallarhorns though

noomi

well unless there's a secert patch to prevent this, if you remain log in you should be able to load up another checkpoint. I haven't done that in awhile but I remember drizzay saying how he was booted from the game when he tried to load another checkpoint last week.

Sheeeeiiiiit, I hope not. Going to chance it....and see what happens. I'll report tomorrow, hopefuly someone has a normal deathsinger CP I can steal tonight, will gladly share my hard crota CP :D

Dave_6

I've only ever gotten one Vex (took me quite a while to get it) and never got my first ballerhorn until January. Had a 2nd one drop just a few weeks ago. I had the Hawkmoon drop the 2nd week after the game released so I can't complain too much I guess.

Forgot about the 4th Horseman; that hasn't dropped for me yet.

FinKL

Just bought my 1st Exotic Icebreaker over the weekend (omg what a gamechanger) and recently got a exotic bounty quest.

I'm pretty sure I'd just keep using Icebreaker, but does anyone have opinions on Thorn, Invective, and Bad Juju?

for a game mode named inferno, it (like most of destiny) could use some more time in the oven.

Lol zing! As a joke about Inferno, that was a good burn.

Sheeeeiiiiit, I hope not. Going to chance it....and see what happens. I'll report tomorrow, hopefuly someone has a normal deathsinger CP I can steal tonight, will gladly share my hard crota CP :D

Yeah I'm really curious to see if it was just a badly timed connection issue or something that stealth patched. Every previous week I was able to swap around to as many CPs as I had on one character.

Since normal DS, hard Scrota and hard Gorgons are the 3 most useful, we could try to coordinate 1 person in each CP just to be safe (me, you and Rawr or w/e).

Why is FB still so good. did a NF this week with a maxed Fang of ur yut, 5 minutes later I switched to FB becuase it didnt feel like I was doing any damage. FB will one shot those solar shielded shanks while it feels like I was pecking away at them with fang.

althuogh the third eye perk was suprisingly useful in NF.
also still the most satisfying feeling gun in the game. granted I dont have Hawkmoon yet.

if im still using it when HOW drops Bungie has a problem.

i dunno I'm of the opinion that bungie should buff the attack on the raid weapons somehow

they're unique guns that you cant find anywhere else

where else are you gonna get an arc burn hand cannon, let alone one with those perks? why should it be made irrelevant

but i also get that there's an issue with the idea of acquiring top attack weapons from older "low level" raids

maybe at worst add a new level to the raids where can you earn the buffed versions.. it might be a cheap way to get people to replay the vault but its better than nothing i guess

noomi

Thank you Drizz, I owe ya one.

Actually I owe many people here one, or two.... or even three. I love you guys <3

Just bought my 1st Exotic Icebreaker over the weekend (omg what a gamechanger) and recently got a exotic bounty quest.

I'm pretty sure I'd just keep using Icebreaker, but does anyone have opinions on Thorn, Invective, and Bad Juju?

Congrats. All three are very good now. Thorn is the most involved quest, but is a killer PvP gun. Ice Breaker will be a staple regardless of what else you acquire doen the line. Its a good staple weapon.

Bad Juju and Invective are great PvE weapons. If you have a Warlock, Bad Juju has a great dynergy with Obsidian Mind helm of you have that.

One class? I still only play one character. I have made another Hunter and a Warlock but can't be bothered to play them. Limited play time makes me reluctant to play alts. I will probably spend some time getting the Hunter to twenty for that extra chance at a Nightfall exotic but the grind for a max level Warlock is just a pipe dream at this point.

cilonen

Anyone got any last minute normal Crota business going on?

I could use a couple of tries at a hunger, but I have no checkpoints.

i dunno I'm of the opinion that bungie should buff the attack on the raid weapons somehow

where else are you gonna get an arc burn hand cannon, let alone one with those perks? why should it be made irrelevant

but i also get that there's an issue with the idea of acquiring top attack weapons from older "low level" raids

maybe at worst add a new level to the raids where can you earn the buffed versions.. it might be a cheap way to get people to replay the vault but its better than nothing i guess
but if they added a new, higher difficulty level to VoG, then that would mean that they would have to fix the glitches on top of coding a higher level... or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

But they need to old raid to be itrelevant so that they can sell the new raid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom