• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT18| CA$H-4-CROTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steroyd

You have been enslaved.
Want Emancipation?

You-Died-in-a-Game.gif

This is me playing Dark Souls at the moment, holy fuck I forgot the feeling of all enemies capable of kicking my ass wether I can one shot them or not.

Namikaze1

Depends what time you're doing it at.

My NLB is also unlevelled. :p
We're doing it in the afternoon (US afternoon). Don't know exact time so could be around the same time we used to raid around.

As for leveling up, a sniper telemetry plus mots of the vanguard and Eris bounties minus the class one and the 20 super one (since I didn't do those) will get you over a fourth of the way done to maxing it out. That's on just one character alone.

Kal_El

I believe the RNGjesus (that's me on twitter) is not good to me. Another NLB, no GHORN and more shards and energy from raid weapons. Nightfall was especially cruel when my fellow guardians received a GHORN and Red Death.

I wanted to apologize to the CE group that I seemingly abandoned last night towards the end of the raid. Real life decided it needed my attention rather quickly last night and I was unable to finish with the rest of y'all. I hope you guys were able to finish Crota off and I hope GHorns dropped for everyone.

I may try and start another group this evening for NM CE just so I can finish it. Not sure if dropping out means I have Crota checkpoint or not.

Again, I am terribly sorry about having to leave last night.

dB Viper

Argh... I still can't get swordbreaker. 3x Normal runs last night, couple members of my party got swordbreaker 3x. None for me. Deathsinger dropped me SUROS, Thunderlord and Plan C. So basically, all copies and 3 exotic shards.

Nightfall 1: 10 ass energy
Nightfall 2: 10 ass shards
Nightfall3: tonight

GTFO bungie with the ass shards/energy.

noomi

Any time after 7:30 pm. The earlier the better

Ah dang... that might be a bit late for a few of the guys, that would be 1AM. Either way, if I'm on around that time and you need a hard checkpoint and a swordrunner/person to help I will :)

Just msg me on psn, I get them on my phone.

Homeboyd

Saved the best for last! Such a fun gun to use.
Had 10 MG telemetries, 30 bounties and probably 20 public event packages ready to turn in as soon as I got it. Wasn't going to do another bounty until I got the TL and burned up all the bounties I had on it. Shit is getting maxed so fast.

Now I can actually use it. Looking forward to it! Can't believe it took this long to get it. Normal crota too.

rNilla

Why are randoms using non-void weapons for void burn?

For the most part the randoms were pretty good in my Weeklies but in the last one I did one of them bailed halfway through and the other was using a base level Abyss Defiant, Ice Breaker, and a halfway leveled Void rocket launcher. Fun times.

Namikaze1

Came across three level 2s dancing together. I threw a grenade at them. They waved at me. I threw another grenade at them. They starting dancing again. I danced with them cause I was out of grenades.

For the most part the randoms were pretty good in my Weeklies but in the last one I did one of them bailed halfway through and the other was using a base level Abyss Defiant, Ice Breaker, and a halfway leveled Void rocket launcher. Fun times.
I have mastered the art of reloading animation canceling. Are you proud of me now, old man?!

Ah dang... that might be a bit late for a few of the guys, that would be 1AM. Either way, if I'm on around that time and you need a hard checkpoint and a swordrunner/person to help I will :)

Just msg me on psn, I get them on my phone.
What time were you shooting for? 5 pm EST?

OMG Ive made a huge mistake!

Ive heard NLB was bad, but I didnt think it was this bad. the low reserve ammo, the aniamtion after every shot. I tried to use it on all my bounties today to get a feel for it. but this gun has no feels, its a cruel mistress with no remorse.

saturday is going to be loads of fun.

chaining orbs is going to be key

tick221

I think I'm reaching my breaking point with this game, second week in a row with nothing but energy and shards running nightfalls across 3 characters. To say there were a few F bombs yelled would be a huge understatement.

ocean

Banned
We'll see on Saturday.

Ive heard NLB was bad, but I didnt think it was this bad. the low reserve ammo, the aniamtion after every shot. I tried to use it on all my bounties today to get a feel for it. but this gun has no feels, its a cruel mistress with no remorse.

What happens on Saturday? I've missed the last few pages.

rNilla

Animation cancelling. Learn it, love it, use it.

after firing: hit reload and then immediately sprint forward one step. You should now be able to shoot again, essentially giving you a slight increase to rate of fire. This only works if you have reserve ammo, otherwise you can only cancel the animation but will still have to wait the same amount of time until you can fire again..

Kor's guide to PvP Matchmaking manipulation:
The below applies primarily to Solo play.

So here you are, a good player. You've found yourself with a pretty good amount of Best around and Bright side medals, yet for some reason lately you've been getting more and more Bright Side medals and less actual victories. In fact, somehow, most of the victories you've gotten are when you are playing terrible and you end up in the bottom half of the scoreboard on your team. So why does this keep happening?

First lets talk about matchmaking. Bungie has a pretty good default matchmaking system. I would even argue that most matches that have no drop-outs end up being very close matches. This system, as it stands, works well. The problem actually comes about shortly after a game starts.

So the game has started, the initial wave is over and you find yourself kicking ass. The score is already 850v120 in your favor, you even have half a super bar already. And then it happens, your game is about to go to shit and you don't even realize it yet.

xXxRandom_EnemyxXx has left the game

Hey, no big deal right? That just gives you an advantage of a 6v5 in your favor, and right around the time of heavy ammo? Sweet deal. Then Heavy pops. You really have the advantage now. You got one heavy crate and neutralized the second. You've got a little over a 2K lead, and then you see it again:

iTzGuy_on_Other_Team has left the game
Pro_Snipez_Opponent has left the game

Wow, a 6v3? Well, the advantage is there, except now it's become so hard to find somebody that the game has slowed down. You aren't really gaining a bigger lead because of it as well. Now comes the turning point of the game:

U_gunna_get_wrecked has joined enemy team
1HKO_sniper_guy has joined the enemy team
Crazy_Aggresive_Shotgun_guy has joined the enemy team

Around now your team score probably looked something like this:

1800 - You
600 - Teammate 1
545 - Teammate 2
300 - Teammate 3
165 - Teammate 4
100 - Teammate 5

You, being a pretty good player, have been cleaning house this whole game. Bungie noticed, as did their matchmaking formula. In fact, it noticed so well, that it found 3 people on your level to match you against in an effort to get an even match. Sure you can square off against 1 of them, maybe even 2 of them. But your teammates? Those poor bastards are about to get violated more than a hot chick crowd surfing during Mardi Gras.

As the game progresses, you'll find that you've lost that lead, but you hope that you can maintain an even game. Except around 7500v7500 they break away. The enemy team starts using supers and all collectively picked up heavy while your team runs right past it. You end the game around 8700v10000, all because you played too well in the beginning.

So what can you take away from this?
It's actually pretty simple. You want to be the slacker on the losing team here. Believe it or not, the best thing you can do is play like shit the first 1/3rd of the game. Basically until the first heavy pops. If done correctly, you're more lackluster teammates will abandon ship and be replaced by competent players. Then you can actually play to your normal skills and reclaim the advantage.

So what makes me think this works?
I'll be honest, I've done some testing, but not enough to claim this as a sure fire method yet. Yesterday alone I played 17 games of Clash. Of those 17 I was on the winning team twice. Both times I was on the lower half of the score board. Of the 15 times I lost, I received 14 "Bright Side medals"

This morning I played three games and "threw" the match for the first 2 minutes. I won all 3 because my teammates jumped ship and I got some good replacements.

Final Notes
There seems to be several problems that need attention here:
-Players should have some sort of repercussions when abandoning a game
-Matchmaking needs to fill empty slots with players on equal levels of the entire team and not the better/best player
-Some sort of visible rank could help mitigate some of these situations.

And that pretty much concludes my theory. I will continue to test said theory for some time. As a final note, all my experiments took place in Clash. I'm not sure if other game types would work the same way.

Frostburn

I think I'm reaching my breaking point with this game, second week in a row with nothing but energy and shards running nightfalls across 3 characters. To say there were a few F bombs yelled would be a huge understatement.

Yeah happened to me as well, I just play a bit more casually now and I'm not on a maddening quest to chase a RNG weapon drop anymore because I was getting too frustrated at the lack of luck. Now I just play to go through the Raids with people I know will be fun to play with and do the Nightfalls and weekly at my own pace. The game is much more enjoyable if you can get past the disappointment the RNG loot system can throw your way.

Edit: Also doing Nightfalls, feel free to join me PSN US-Frostburn

nOoblet16

Need to do 3x Atheon, 1x NM and 3x NN Scrota.
Gotta try for all those inevitable shards and energies !

Also is it better to do Atheon NM first then HM for that double roll at exotic ?

TheOddOne

Got Unyielding Casque on HM Crota. One of the nicer looking Crota gear.

Finally have enough level 36 gear to get both my Titan and Hunter up to 32. Feels good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom