• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT18| CA$H-4-CROTA

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a common sentiment. Bungie outdid themselves making monster weapons and OP perks on so many VoG weapons. I don't think they really understood how over the top they were until well after release. Crota weapons feel intenitonally neutered. Outside of Black Hammer, (which is god tier), everything is decent to garbage.

I think most of the new raid weapons are better than their VoG counter parts, but it's not worth arguing about. What I don't get is that I still use VoG weapons when I run VoG, and I feel like I'm at a disadvantage for oracles and such if I don't have my VoC. With the CE raid weapons, the perks that help in the raid don't actually do much. They just fell like any other weapon, and if you use non-raid weapons you won't notice a difference.

phen0m24

I was lucky enough to get a helmet from cheesing hard Atheon right before the patch but I had to grind my ass off in iron banner just to get boots and gloves. I only had one character at that point, and I probably finished The normal raid six or seven times without boots or gloves.

Hehe Macello I had to grind for those IB boots too.
what a pain
Those freaking Titan boots wouldn't drop... Then finally got the helm and was giddy!! Running Atheon or Templar now it's funny when they drop - sometimes two at once.

Of course it looked like a bottle opener, but who cares? :D

rNilla

Fresh CE normal run. Starting promptly at 5:15pm CT (about 2 hours from meow). Need to go fast because I have this whole real-life dinner thing to deal with. I need my two shots at the horn before I go stuff my face full of sushi and sake...

1) GKW212
2) It's Nilla Time
3)
4)
5)
6)

I would like to do this.

Hehe Macello I had to grind for those IB boots too.
what a pain
Those freaking Titan boots wouldn't drop... Then finally got the helm and was giddy!! Running Atheon or Templar now it's funny when they drop - sometimes two at once.

Of course it looked like a bottle opener, but who cares? :D
I equipped the VoG arms and boots the other day and thought they looked weird because I had never equipped them before.

LTWood12

I was lucky enough to get a helmet from cheesing hard Atheon right before the patch but I had to grind my ass off in iron banner just to get boots and gloves. I only had one character at that point, and I probably finished The normal raid six or seven times without boots or gloves.

I was in the same boat. Still only had one character back in November, and after about 10 VoG attempts all I'd gotten was four glove drops. Did iron banner 2.0 for level 30 boots, then got lucky the following week and got KABR's Wrath (chest). w/ an exotic helm I was 30 at that point. After that the VoG helmet started dropping for me like crazy, but the boots didn't drop for me until about a month ago. in about 20 something runs I've still only gotten boots and chest one time. The CE loot algorithm is so much better.

Because days prior, literally DAYS prior, not months, not even weeks - people were SCRATCHING and CLAWING to JUST hit 30. If you've played the game for a long time you know about the #Forever29 memes going around and how frustrated people would get trying to get that one last piece of raid gear. For many it was the helmet in HM, but for others it was stuff from normal that JUST WOULDN'T DROP.

I think I FINALLY got my helmet and was so ecstatic to finally get it. Beat hard mode Atheon at 29. Got that helmet. YEAHHHH!!!

Then walk into the tower, and the stuff you just got three breaths ago was obsoleted by crappy vendor gear. "Oh wait, you just beat the hardest content in the game? Yeah, that stuff is crap. All you need to buy this is a commendation and marks. Forget the raid." It cheapened the raid gear that was so hard to obtain, and it left a bitter taste in the mouth of many. And immediately thereafter there was the "Oh, you leveled that (insert exotic here) to 300? Guess what? I hope you liked that, because now you get to.... DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN!"

:( Those #Forever29 days were sad days

and it most certianly wasnt a lack of trying. id say the reason why most made alts back in the day was for more chances at raid gear each week. and our early few 30s were folks that made alts of teh same class. that shit has sailed now, buty my god what a painful few months

phen0m24

I equipped the VoG arms and boots the other day and thought they looked weird because I had never equipped them before.
Hehe you could always level them
probably have excess shards laying around haha

Nilla joining Narmer? So really you only need one more hahaha

ethomaz

Banned
Did some patrol now... I don't know how much time.

VIP kills 66/250 (+5)
PE 128/250 (+3)

Well there is a long long way to go.

nOoblet16

I think most of the new raid weapons are better than their VoG counter parts, but it's not worth arguing about. What I don't get is that I still use VoG weapons when I run VoG, and I feel like I'm at a disadvantage for oracles and such if I don't have my VoC. With the CE raid weapons, the perks that help in the raid don't actually do much. They just fell like any other weapon, and if you use non-raid weapons you won't notice a difference.
Well the only weapon from VoG that I think is better than their CE counterpart is Fatebringer and maybe VoC (Fang is up there as a good weapon too)

VoG weapons given you an advantage in VoG due to some of them being void damage and then having the oracle disrupted perk. For Corta's End you have the Hive disrupter perk and the one weapon (Blackhammer) where you really need it to make it seem like you have a disadvantage without it is bugged and can't use that perk. But even without that perk I feel like I am a disadvantage against knights if I don't use a blackhammer since it staggers them and you can chain headshots and still do massive damage.

M3Rocket

Because days prior, literally DAYS prior, not months, not even weeks - people were SCRATCHING and CLAWING to JUST hit 30. If you've played the game for a long time you know about the #Forever29 memes going around and how frustrated people would get trying to get that one last piece of raid gear. For many it was the helmet in HM, but for others it was stuff from normal that JUST WOULDN'T DROP.

I think I FINALLY got my helmet and was so ecstatic to finally get it. Beat hard mode Atheon at 29. Got that helmet. YEAHHHH!!!

Then walk into the tower, and the stuff you just got three breaths ago was obsoleted by crappy vendor gear. "Oh wait, you just beat the hardest content in the game? Yeah, that stuff is crap. All you need to buy this is a commendation and marks. Forget the raid." It cheapened the raid gear that was so hard to obtain, and it left a bitter taste in the mouth of many. And immediately thereafter there was the "Oh, you leveled that (insert exotic here) to 300? Guess what? I hope you liked that, because now you get to.... DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN!"

Exactly this!

I only have two Guardians, and both of them got a full set of TDB gear before getting a full set of VoG gear--that VoG helm is a b*tch to get. I still wish we could "upgrade" the VoG armor to current max light levels--I especially liked the VoG Warlock set.

Also, there are additional "costs" associated with "upgrading/rexurbishing" all the 300 Exotics. In essence, it is still "cheaper" today to get a new 331 Exotic than to rexurbish one that is at 300.

Fresh CE normal run. Starting promptly at 5:15pm CT (about 2 hours from meow). Need to go fast because I have this whole real-life dinner thing to deal with. I need my two shots at the horn before I go stuff my face full of sushi and sake...

1) GKW212
2) It's Nilla Time
3)
4)
5)
6)

We really only need one more to get going... I won't be enabling hard mode so I'll be a value-adding (versus my normal value-subtracting) fireteam member.

Edit: CreamedCorn reading my mind ... weird... I feel violated...

Well, that's my first Crota's End run down. Three people, with a fourth joining in to take down Crota.

Only non-shard reward I received was Light of the Abyss. Pretty neat-looking Fusion Rifle. Hoping for some better stuff for my Warlock, though.

Thanks OddOne, PokerFaced and Dark Orchid. Enjoy that Hunger of Crota, you bastard. :lol

phen0m24

I still wish we could "upgrade" the VoG armor to current max light levels--I especially liked the VoG Warlock set.

Also, there are additional "costs" associated with "upgrading/rexurbishing" all the 300 Exotics. In essence, it is still "cheaper" today to get a new 331 Exotic than to rexurbish one that is at 300.

Oh man that Warlock outfit with Chatterwhite - so amazing!!!

And heck yeah, just the thought of taking my Gorgon Chest 300 Red Death to Xur is just painful.
Because I still don't have a Hunter helmet with Infusion

mwahahahahaha imagine how Nilla and I felt in that 3-man.
Not sure if 'violated' is the right word though.

So maybe that is a thing now. That kept happening to us last night, and we all had green connections.
One idea is to let your sword be fireteam leader. Go to orbit, promote him or her, then go back down to Crota-whipping. :)

Namikaze1

1) GKW212
2) It's Nilla Time
3) Nami the Husk
4)
5)
6)

We really only need one more to get going... I won't be enabling hard mode so I'll be a value-adding (versus my normal value-subtracting) fireteam member.

I'll be up for it

LTWood12

So maybe that is a thing now. That kept happening to us last night, and we all had green connections.

Oh man that Warlock outfit with Chatterwhite - so amazing!!!

And heck yeah, just the thought of taking my Gorgon Chest 300 Red Death to Xur is just painful.
Because I still don't have a Hunter helmet with Infusion

mwahahahahaha imagine how Nilla and I felt in that 3-man.
Not sure if 'violated' is the right word though.

One idea is to let your sword be fireteam leader. Go to orbit, promote him or her, then go back down to Crota-whipping. :)

I actually captured the most glaring instance of this. On my screen Crota doesn't go down, slams Hawkian. But somehow Hawkian is alive? And still damaging Crota?

From everyone else's point of view apparently Crota went down. This was after we had started a new instance w/ Hawk as the host. I'll try and post it tonight.

PuMa

I actually captured the most glaring instance of this. On my screen Crota doesn't go down, slams Hawkian. But somehow Hawkian is alive? And still damaging Crota?

From everyone else's point of view apparently Crota went down. This was after we had started a new instance w/ Hawk as the host. I'll try and post it tonight.

That would be great to see. Was definitely bizarre last night...lots of weird stuff.

phen0m24

I'm pretty sure "entertained" and "sore from laughing so hard" would be proper descriptions.

fair points

Why don't you three do a flawless run??

Nilla can solo first part with Hunter
If you can't get three across the bridge
while not using No Land Beyond
you're totally fired
The hallway is easy if you take your time
The DS might be tricky but not on normal
Let them use their Gjallarhorns on her. Hopefully you'll get your own
And NIlla can go bonkers on Crota with the sword....

I get what you mean.

Abyss Defiant > Atheon Epilogue, Hunger of Crota >> Hezen, BH>>PR, Oversoul Edict > Timepiece etc.

I think the difference is that Fatebringer and VoC as primaries really outshine anything Crotas End has to Offer. Vex was a monster in its hey day and still makes Necro look like a joke.

On a 1:1 Basis, Crota weapons probably are better, its just that the one's that VoG are better, they really outshine Crota.

Oracle Disruptor is also a much more important perk than Hive Disruptor. The encounter is tangibly different and you feel far more efficient with OD weapons. The raid was designed very well in this regard

Hive Disruptor is a dud, it should have a tangible difference on the raid. Defending the bridge in the Abyss and specifically Deathsinger encounter should be where that perk really shines, yet you don't even know its there. Hive Disruptor needs a major buff to justify its existence. Poorly designed perk that has little besring on the raid.

LTWood12

No, if you loss dps at all his shields will regen really fast.

And to clarify, we had no whiffs on dps, and timing was spot on. 3 Gjallarhorn rockets w/ wolfpack, 2 HoC, plus primary fire. I had never seen anything like it. Then seeing crota basically kill Hawk on my screen, yet kneeling for everyone else confirmed something was awry.

stb

EDIT: this took too long.

That is a common sentiment. Bungie outdid themselves making monster weapons and OP perks on so many VoG weapons. I don't think they really understood how over the top they were until well after release. Crota weapons feel intenitonally neutered. Outside of Black Hammer, (which is god tier), everything is decent to garbage.

I agree with the general sentiment, but:

- Hunger of Crota is as good as purple RLs get
- Abyss Defiant, Fang of Ir Yut, and Word of Crota are totally respectable choices for their respective burns, and the latter 2 are quite good even outside of their burns
- the pulse rifle buff also seems to have elevated Oversoul Edict to "worth using" for arc burns, too
- the shotgun buff made Swordbreaker totally viable, especially in VoG (minotaurs) and void burns
- Song of Ir Yut falls into your "decent" bucket
- Light of the Abyss has the best charge rate in the game, and prior to the fusion nerf was a good choice in PVP
- it does have what could be argued as the 2 best legendaries for their type (HoC, BH), which seems acceptable.

The main problems with the CE weapons seem to be:
- they aren't *as good* as VoG weapons even despite the 300 ATK VoG "handicap" (except HoC >> Hezen, which you called out in a subsequent post)
- nothing from CE is the de facto "best in slot" for PVE the way Fatebringer is or Vex was. The closest is probably Black Hammer, but that's been debated ad nauseam.

There are better choices for almost all of the CE guns, but "garbage" seems a bit strong for even the worst of them; MOST players (even those capable of doing NM CE) don't have whatever most of us would slot-in instead of the CE weapon.

All this said, I do agree that "OP" perks made the VoG weapons a thrill to receive, those perks didn't hurt the game, and that there should be more "OP" guns for PVE, especially when they're locked behind the highest level content.

Oracle Disruptor is also a much more important perk than Hive Disruptor. The encounter is tangibly different and you feel far more efficient with OD wrapons. The raid was desigbed very well in this regard

Hive Disruptor is a dud, it should have a tangible difference on the raid. Defending the bridge in the Abyss and specifically Deathsinger encounter should be where that perk really shines, yet you don't even know its there. Hive Disruptor needs a major buff to justify its existence. Poorly designed perk that has little besring on the raid.

Yeah; Hive Disruptor really should have been a difference maker, resulting in the CE weapons being the no-brainer choice to use for the raid. On the bright side, that'd be a REALLY easy fix for them to implement; just crank up the modifier.

fair points

Why don't you three do a flawless run??

Nilla can solo first part with Hunter
If you can't get three across the bridge
while not using No Land Beyond
you're totally fired
The hallway is easy if you take your time
The DS might be tricky but not on normal
Let them use their Gjallarhorns on her. Hopefully you'll get your own
And NIlla can go bonkers on Crota with the sword....

Would be quite the amazing situation to knock off guardian lord and a horn in one run... I can dream... reality tends to be quite different.

shermas

Finished my 3rd full Crota run (bridge cheese) today and got a cloak that looks like some bug wings and shards... face_plain.

I love the raids, though... if you haven't tried one yet, get on LFG and give it a shot. Most of the groups I've found for VoG raids have been awesome. A couple turds in the punch bowl, but most of the time it's a blast.

phen0m24

Would be quite the amazing situation to knock off guardian lord and a horn in one run... I can dream... reality tends to be quite different.

If anyone could do it.....

I realize the bridge might be tougher than I let on, though. You and Nami would have to go out of bounds. Bring your Titan.

Shirow

Banned
The max you can be pre DLC was 29 without raiding. Raid gear gets you to 30. The loot drops were worse in VoG in terms of gear and a lot of people were missing one piece so they got stuck at 29.

DLC hit and they sold vendor gear to get you to 31 so anyone can bypass 30 now without raiding. Now raiding gets you to 32, and the loot system is smarter for the new raid to have an increase of chance to get pieces you're missing.
Thanks to you, Gordon and everyone else who answered, sorry I was at the job finishing up things. I now understand the situation a lot more. Now I kinda get the feeling that I'll get to live it myself once the new expansion drops.

I wonder if things will be different this time. I haven't been keeping up with the news on it due to playing. A 5 level increase would be nice.

LTWood12

I agree with the general sentiment, but:

- Hunger of Crota is as good as purple RLs get
- Abyss Defiant, Fang of Ir Yut, and Word of Crota are totally respectable choices for their respective burns, and the latter 2 are quite good even outside of their burns
- the pulse rifle buff also seems to have elevated Oversoul Edict to "worth using" for arc burns, too
- the shotgun buff made Swordbreaker totally viable, especially in VoG (minotaurs) and void burns
- Song of Ir Yut falls into your "decent" bucket
- Light of the Abyss has the best charge rate in the game, and prior to the fusion nerf was a good choice in PVP
- it does have what could be argued as the 2 best legendaries for their type (HoC, BH), which seems acceptable.

The main problems with the CE weapons seem to be:
- they aren't *as good* as VoG weapons even despite the 300 ATK VoG "handicap"
- nothing from CE is the de facto "best in slot" for PVE the way Fatebringer is or Vex was. The closest is probably Black Hammer, but that's been debated ad nauseam.

There are better choices for almost all of the CE guns, but "garbage" seems a bit strong for even the worst of them; MOST players (even those capable of doing NM CE) don't have whatever most of us would slot-in instead of the CE weapon.

All this said, I do agree that "OP" perks made the VoG weapons a thrill to receive, those perks didn't hurt the game, and that there should be more "OP" guns for PVE, especially when they're locked behind the highest level content.

People REALLY love outlaw & firefly.

To this day I still don't get the complaing about The Dark Below vendor armor. Who cares? It's better stuff. You spent a month or two wearing the same boring gear and now you want to wear it longer into the expansion? Why?

If the Vanguard vendor started selling Lvl33/34 armor today I would buy it, have it levelled by Friday, and then go stick a rocket up Hard Mode Crota's ass. I wouldn't be all sad that I had to get rid of my old raid gear. None of this stuff is meant to be permanent....it's all cyclical.

Basically this. If the vendor gear had put you at 30, that would have made more sense (I'm betting they go with this strategy for HoW). That way, level 30's who worked hard to obtain and grind their gear would have been rewarded by having a head start on everyone else who would still need to grind a bunch of marks and commendations to catch up. Instead, they totally made that gear obsolete (3 months after release no less).

The funny thing is that if they had just shared their plans and explained what they were planning on doing with vendor gear a week or two ahead of time, it would have made the blow a lot softer. That and the whole exotic shard fiasco are highlights in how Bungie needs to realize what type of game they've made and how they need to communicate better with their audience.

And to clarify, we had no whiffs on dps, and timing was spot on. 3 Gjallarhorn rockets w/ wolfpack, 2 HoC, plus primary fire. I had never seen anything like it. Then seeing crota basically kill Hawk on my screen, yet kneeling for everyone else confirmed something was awry.

Yeah, I had a front row seat to it all as the boomer bubble guy. I saw a couple instances where 4 rockets would strike at the same time, Crota would glitch on my screen and almost "skip a couple frames" (think black cat in the Matrix), and then wreck Hawkian.

Going to orbit actually made it worse for me. When we got back in, I was having heavy lag (mainly, I'd shoot an enemy and wouldn't get a damage reading for close to a full second afterward). Luckily, I was just the bubble dude so it didn't matter too much.

Namikaze1

If anyone could do it.....

I realize the bridge might be tougher than I let on, though. You and Nami would have to go out of bounds. Bring your Titan.
B-b-but I already did normal on my Titan!?! I haven't done it yet on my Hunter or Warlock.

Plus I don't know how to get up there on my Titan. Never done it before. :(

Manp

woooooo

IWIHJx4.jpg

bZj1mZS.jpg

lNwzK5o.jpg

took long enough! that fucking hunter chest piece wouldn't drop!

also:

missing exotics:

Titan:
- Mk. 44 Stand Asides (LOL)

Hunter:
- Achlyophage Symbiote (had the 30 light one but dismantled it when i didn't have an hunter)
- Lucky Raspberry (actually want this one)
- Mask of the Third Man (actually want this one)
- Radiant Dance Machines (LOL)

Warlock:
- Apotheosis Veil
- Claws of Ahamkara

Weapons:
- Hard Light
- Monte Carlo
- Red Death (actually want this one)
- Universal Remote

not bad :|

also have 2xGjallarhorn, 2xThunderlord, 2x 3xDragon's Breath, 4xIcebreaker, 3xTruth, 2xVex, 3xSuros, 2xPlanC and 2xMIDA

getting closer

:)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
- Light of the Abyss has the best charge rate in the game, and prior to the fusion nerf was a good choice in PVP.
Light of the Abyss was barely affected by the patch in my opinion and experiences. Hitting long shots at range wasn't its forte to begin with, and nothing that it was good at was impacted. it's still one of the best in the game.

M3Rocket

Yeah thats fine with me. Normally theres a few people on, such as Drizzay, Unknown, firehawk, that loads up a checkpoint or goes around afterwards collecting the checkpoints. The later 2 doesnt post as much prob doesnt want to be forever lost in the dark corners of the loading screens.

I think the VoG checkpoints are more time consuming to get to--Crota, not so much. I'll be sure to check-in with you around weekly reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom