• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT18| CA$H-4-CROTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
People REALLY love outlaw & firefly.
Firefly on a scout is hard to argue with the greatness of, but on a hand cannon it is deeply erotic.

Outlaw isn't as important on Scouts, really. There are a lot of viable perks that can pop into that slot. On fatebringer it really makes the gun feel complete though.

Abyss Defiant has one of my favorite perks in the game, however. I would absolutely like to have more weapons with a specific counter-ability to be employed when you know the content you're about to face is loaded with a particular enemy type. Something particularly effective vs. Phalanxes would be amazing, but I guess i'll be a while...
Now I kinda get the feeling that I'll get to live it myself once the new expansion drops.

I wonder if things will be different this time.
Yeah, in some sense
Luke Smith said:
Nothing specific to announce at this time, but the mistakes we made with the DLC1 reward economy will not be repeated:

Mistakes like:
Vendor gear invalidating the effort of VOG Raiders
Upgrading an Exotic reseting its talents
sorry you won't get to experience the agony and errything.

phen0m24

Plus I don't know how to get up there on my Titan. Never done it before. :(

I refuse to believe this. Then you go across with YOUR hunter, let Nilla stay back and he and Narmerama can go OB. Pretty sure Nilla can do it with Triple Jump? (I think)

Have fun guys - go get em

Namikaze1

I refuse to believe this. Then you go across with YOUR hunter, let Nilla stay back and he and Narmerama can go OB. Pretty sure Nilla can do it with Triple Jump? (I think)

Have fun guys - go get em
I tried to replicate Nilla's technique once. Made it to the cliff before sliding down to my death.

stb

Light of the Abyss was barely affected by the patch in my opinion and experiences. Hitting long shots at range wasn't its forte to begin with, and nothing that it was good at was impacted. it's still one of the best in the game.

Interesting. I roll shotgun in Crucible, so I was really basing my comment on the dev notes and that I've observed far fewer LotAs in PVP since the patch.

But, yeah, this helps the point that the CE weapons generally aren't the BEST, but still good choices for the correct application.

Abyss Defiant has one of my favorite perks in the game, however. I would absolutely like to have more weapons with a specific counter-ability to be employed when you know the content you're about to face is loaded with a particular enemy type.

I haven't used my AD at all, but I hear mixed reviews of the perk's utility. Some folks seem to dig it, while others seem to suggest it inadvertently prolongs the encounter by making them do stupid stuff.

Anyone up for 2 or 3 NFs later tonight?

I would be, but Wednesdays are generally reserved for recording my podcast. I'll probably be looking to do them Friday or Saturday if you still haven't.

woooooo

took long enough! that fucking hunter chest piece wouldn't drop!

also:

getting closer

:)

Not bad, not bad. I am right behind you. Hope to make my triple 32 post next week if Crota doesn't fuck me over again on Titan boots.

Missing Exotics:

Titan:
-Helm of Innermost Light
-Ruin Wings
-Armamentarium
-Mk 44 Stand Asides

Hunter:
-Knucklehead Radar
-Crest of Alph Lupi

Warlock:
N/A

Weapons:
-Red Death
-Suros Regime
-Truth

Been watching Red Death drop numerous times the last couple weeks. My turn is coming soon, I feel it.

M3Rocket

Finished my 3rd full Crota run (bridge cheese) today and got a cloak that looks like some bug wings and shards... face_plain.

I love the raids, though... if you haven't tried one yet, get on LFG and give it a shot. Most of the groups I've found for VoG raids have been awesome. A couple turds in the punch bowl, but most of the time it's a blast.

I have a far better experience with getting into groups here on DGAF. I started on LFG months ago and it was few hits, mostly misses. Then I discovered DGAF...

phen0m24

I tried to replicate Nilla's technique once. Made it to the cliff before sliding down to my death.

You can go across legit with Bladedancer. Do the hidey thing behind the lamp pillar

Nilla and Narmer go OB (they can both bring 32 Titans) on the near side of the bridge, then hop down to help you with Ogres. Bridge done.

Abyss Defiant has one of my favorite perks in the game, however. I would absolutely like to have more weapons with a specific counter-ability to be employed when you know the content you're about to face is loaded with a particular enemy type. Something particularly effective vs. Phalanxes would be amazing, but I guess i'll be a while...

I used to love the Abyss Defiant, but forced myself to use other guns when word of the AR nerf came out. I like the focus fire perk, but doesn't it actually decrease the effectiveness of the weapon? I still used it because I liked the feel of it, but I probably would have been better off with hip fire, even though I rarely shoot from the hip.

You can go across legit with Bladedancer. Do the hidey thing behind the lamp pillar

Nilla and Narmer go OB on the near side of the bridge, then hop down to help you with Ogres. Bridge done.

This sounds like it's going to be a massive train wreck of hilarity.

I don't even know how to go OB on my 'lock... or any of my other characters for that matter. I'm not the fleetest of jumpers.

M3Rocket

Oh man that Warlock outfit with Chatterwhite - so amazing!!!

And heck yeah, just the thought of taking my Gorgon Chest 300 Red Death to Xur is just painful.
Because I still don't have a Hunter helmet with Infusion

Yep. Just didn't need 3,134,207 Chatterwhites and still counting. At least they fixed that with Glowhoo.

stb

I used to love the Abyss Defiant, but forced myself to use other guns when word of the AR nerf came out. I like the focus fire perk, but doesn't it actually decrease the effectiveness of the weapon? I still used it because I liked the feel of it, but I probably would have been better off with hip fire, even though I rarely shoot from the hip.

Focus Fire was debated a lot when Suros Regime was changed (some even went so far as to have 2 SR's; one upgraded for PVE and one not for PVP), and a lot of the detracting opinion is based on faulty logic.

Sure, it reduces fire rate by ~2/3 while increasing damage ~1/3, which sounds like a net DPS loss of 1/3, but that's based on the HUGE assumption that you were hitting 100% crits without Focus Fire.

IMO, you're far more likely to hit enough more crits with Focus Fire than you would without it to offset the hypothetical 1/3 DPS hit. I'd like to see this tested in video form just to put the issue to rest (for the second time).

Edit: I'm not sure how much the Hip Fire perk helps AD, so, again, it'd be really interesting to see someone record a few CE runs with each perk selected to see what the practical application of each really ends up being. For me, even if hip fire is the bees knees and makes it a laser, it's still a worse choice for abyss and (probably) bridge than higher impact guns (I'm 100% of the mind that the abyss is owned by shotguns and AOE grenades after the shotgun buff), but for DeathSinger, I think I'd want the focus fire to plink wizards and knights over hip fire. So that sort of leaves hip fire without a home in the raid. Maybe it's particularly effective in PVP? Even if it is, is it MORE effective than the pulse rifle buff?

Second Edit: I still roll VoC for Death Singer. Anyone know what a VoC crit does against mobs (wizards and knights) versus Abyss Defiant with Focus Fire/Lich Bane/Hive Disruptor?

shermas

I have a far better experience with getting into groups here on DGAF. I started on LFG months ago and it was few hits, mostly misses. Then I discovered DGAF...

Are you on Xbone or PS4? I'm on Xbone and it's hard to find people on here sometimes... on LFG, I can almost tell, just from the post, if they're going to accept or not.

It's kind of a hassle to send the invite, look up the user, etc, but running VoG for an hour or two, cracking some jokes, not taking things too seriously and hearing some people lose their mind (about a piece of gear in a fantasy world video game) is a blast (for the most part).

To me, VoG is more of a communal experience... you can't really rush through the entire thing like CE. I think VoG is more of a 'raid' and CE almost seems like a ROC strike with more spawns/tougher enemies.

phen0m24

olympia

Where did this rumor even start?? Definitely not true.

I think it came from the Crux not dropping for a few days after HM Crotes came out. People thought Glowhoo was bumping the Crux from the drops the first time you down Crota, and you get the Crux from the subsequent raids. I think that theory morphed into "needing glowhoo in your inventory."

Namikaze1

You never needed Glowhoo for the Crux to drop. It's all RNG based. The Crux dropped for my girlfriend on her first had mode run and I recall it dropping for a gaffer on their first too.

cilonen

stares in at Shito...

Yet you are in a fabulously amazing group of Destiny-ers here, in case you were previously unaware. Some of the most patient, funny, quasi-insane people play this game and I have nearly my entire friends list populated from this very community. If you've never had the pleasure of

Watching Dhruv sword Crota to death
with a lightsaber
Hearing
Skeletor
Boguester/DrDrizzay explain how many points of damage each sword swing at Crota does while doing so on no sleep whatsoever
Listening to Unknown laugh uncontrollably and hearing the Epic Sax guy
Hearing Narmer yell "I GOT THIS" immediately prior to
wiping
killing Crota LOL
Witnessing Hawkian go all Ninja-style on any enemy either in PvE or PvP
Grabbing a checkpoint from Chekpointasaurus while listening to his smoke detector beep :p
Witnessing either Figadapaura or Zoba(Twilight Gap) or Kor or Rubenov make quick work of any enemy squad in PvP
Watching Rodiard and Namikaze clear a weekly using HORRIBLE WEAPONS Horrible I say! Horrible!

EDIT: Almost forgot hearing deafmedal sing the RITUAL OF NEGATION SONG (oh gosh)
THE LIST GOES ON AND ON AND ON

You're missing out. :)

Feel free to hop in my game at will. And I think that would go for nearly anyone here. I don't think anybody will bite you. :p
I've heard rumors though LOL j/k

PSN: ColonelOCorn

I felt kinda like Shito back before January despite posting here a bunch. I'm gutted I allowed my hang ups about not being good at shooters or hardcore enough to keep me from playing with DGAF for 4 months or so when I could have been rolling with you all so much sooner.

Everything Colonel said is on the money, Shito. Best game community I've ever found.

Edit. Wolfpack rounds unlocked. Woo. I need to go find things to shoot at.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Interesting. I roll shotgun in Crucible, so I was really basing my comment on the dev notes and that I've observed far fewer LotAs in PVP since the patch.
If I had to make a guess without having seen the patch notes whatsoever, just based on experiences, I'd assume that shotguns had been substantially buffed for PvP in this patch. The nerf seems to have had no impact whatsoever and the newest top tier available such as well-rolled Felwinters, the vendor Secret Handshake, and so on demonstrate the ridiculous ranges from which they can still one-shot with impunity. Fusion rifle usage in the special slot has seemingly plummeted across the board.

The "good" thing about this from my perspective is that, depending on the map, people running around with shotguns as primaries fall into incredibly predictable patterns that a fusion rifle is perfect for exploiting. I got halfway through my neo-Thorn bounty void kills last night, I wonder if people were scratching their heads wondering what the hell was up with this guy stubborning hanging on to his old 77 Wizard. :p

I haven't used my AD at all, but I hear mixed reviews of the perk's utility. Some folks seem to dig it, while others seem to suggest it inadvertently prolongs the encounter by making them do stupid stuff.
I've only ever noticed it make wizards hover dumbly in place :p I haven't used it extensively though, just situationally

Namikaze1

stares in at Shito...

Yet you are in a fabulously amazing group of Destiny-ers here, in case you were previously unaware. Some of the most patient, funny, quasi-insane people play this game and I have nearly my entire friends list populated from this very community. If you've never had the pleasure of

Watching Dhruv sword Crota to death
with a lightsaber
Hearing
Skeletor
Boguester/DrDrizzay explain how many points of damage each sword swing at Crota does while doing so on no sleep whatsoever
Listening to Unknown laugh uncontrollably and hearing the Epic Sax guy
Hearing Narmer yell "I GOT THIS" immediately prior to
wiping
killing Crota LOL
Witnessing Hawkian go all Ninja-style on any enemy either in PvE or PvP
Grabbing a checkpoint from Chekpointasaurus while listening to his smoke detector beep :p
Witnessing either Figadapaura or Zoba(Twilight Gap) or Kor or Rubenov make quick work of any enemy squad in PvP
Watching Rodiard and Namikaze clear a weekly using HORRIBLE WEAPONS Horrible I say! Horrible!

EDIT: Almost forgot hearing deafmedal sing the RITUAL OF NEGATION SONG (oh gosh)
THE LIST GOES ON AND ON AND ON

You're missing out. :)

Feel free to hop in my game at will. And I think that would go for nearly anyone here. I don't think anybody will bite you. :p
I've heard rumors though LOL j/k

PSN: ColonelOCorn
You take that back! Necrochasm isn't a horrible weapon! It's an insult to every horrible weapon out there! Necrochasm is several tiers below horrible.

*stares at his two Necrochasms*

I love you girls, but it is the truth.

- Light of the Abyss has the best charge rate in the game, and prior to the fusion nerf was a good choice in PVP

Think I just found one from NF that has almost the same recharge rate as LotA.

FKVzWS2.jpg

I don't use FRs but decided to keep this for void weekly and VoG since I don't have a void FR.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
i need one of your husks please. Now that I have a Crux I can pointlessly pursue that thing and put the capstone on my 100% complete exotics collection... will feel damn good.

I don't use FRs but decided to keep this for void weekly and VoG since I don't have a void FR.
With Accelerated Coils (which yours doesn't have sadly), the charge rates are identical. I actually just checked this myself
It's very close even without it though, and Send It is a beastly choice anyway. It'll chew through this weekly.

stb

DestinyDB lists The Calming with a charge rate of 91 vs LotA's 100. I'm not sure how noticeable 9% is, especially since fusion users tend to feather the trigger anyway. Probably totally worth keeping for void burns, but for VoG, my suggestion would be Swordbreaker (or any void shotgun).

Namikaze1

i need one of your husks please. Now that I have a Crux I can pointlessly pursue that thing and put the capstone on my 100% complete exotics collection... will feel damn good.
When Todd, Fig, Rodiard, and a few others staged that intervention, they made me dismantle all the husks I had collected. Told me to stop calling myself Darth Husk. :(

Darth Husk shall live on!

phen0m24

You take that back! Necrochasm isn't a horrible weapon! It's an insult to every horrible weapon out there! Necrochasm is several tiers below horrible.

*stares at his two Necrochasms*

I love you girls, but it is the truth.

I would offer to console your broken
gun
heart but the fact is I'm still kinda creeped out by that birthday suit comment. Lol
Did we ever get a photo of the Destiny-playing jump instructor? Hahaha

Namikaze1

I would offer to console your broken
gun
heart but the fact is I'm still kinda creeped out by that birthday suit comment.
Did we ever get a photo of the Destiny-playing jump instructor? Hahaha
Hey, like I said, don't knock it till you try it. Just wait till your wife and kids are out so you can finally feel free!

Edit: top of the page!

Darth Husk 4 life yo!

Hey, don't knock it till you try it. It's a wonderful feeling being able to play with your junk out.

The problem is your seat... If it's leather or similar prepare to have your ass stick down hard. Helps to sit on something cloth based. Like a cushion. If my friends ever found out about this....

Namikaze1

The problem is your seat... If it's leather or similar prepare to have your ass stick down hard. Helps to sit on something cloth based. Like a cushion. If my friends ever found out about this....
See, I don't have a seat. I just lay butt naked on my bed and play.

My GF knows and I am encouraging her to do the same. Sadly, I keep failing in converting her to the Gaming Nudist Society.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
DestinyDB lists The Calming with a charge rate of 91 vs LotA's 100. I'm not sure how noticeable 9% is, especially since fusion users tend to feather the trigger anyway. Probably totally worth keeping for void burns, but for VoG, my suggestion would be Swordbreaker (or any void shotgun).
Doesn't matter much for PvE, though of course in PvP the only thing that matters is whatever fraction of a second it takes to fire your shot before your target. You are definitely right about cooking your charge, but rate comes into play when you need to fire a second shot off if you miss, which the quickcharge rifles like LotA, Perun's Fire and The Calming can actually do (in exactly the way you can't with the slow/high impact ones like 77 Wizard, Pocket Infinity or Plug One)

I choked!

I choked at Crota for the flawless raider. The first sword I got up there and swung to long. I could see him begin to stand up and I was mid animation. I knew I wasn't going to be able to blink strike in time.

I failed you, my friends.

Well, at least we got the clan raid trophy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom