• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT18| CA$H-4-CROTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namikaze1

Knowing Xur in advance really isn't harmless though from Bungie's game design perspective. They want you to be checking on Destiny on Friday or Saturday to see if Xur has anything you need. The predictions prevent that and are a much bigger problem for the game as a whole than raid bugs... although I also would prefer if they first fixed the raid bugs.
what? The prediction are a bigger problem than raid bugs? Sorry but I disagree. One doesn't lead to terrible lag, the proper amount not being teleported, sword disappearing, knights walking through walls, Crota getting early or never kneeling, etc. One is a detriment to players. The other is not. And let's be honest, there's only one exotic everybody and their mother wants. All people wanted to know if Xur would actually resell it.

rNilla

It's funny, I have put way more hours into this game than any other game in years. Possibly the most hours I've put in any game ever, yet I wouldn't put it within a mile of a GOTY. I still maintain it is at best a 7/10 experience. The loot system, as broken and infuriating as it is, has its hooks sunk deep into me. It's not necessarily a healthy relationship, but I do keep playing which is what they want.

This. It's such a weird dynamic for me. I have never played anything this much before in my life. Not even close. DGAF certainly is a big part of why I keep coming back.

what? The prediction are a bigger problem than raid bugs? Sorry but I disagree. One doesn't lead to terrible lag, the proper amount not being teleported, sword disappearing, knights walking through walls, Crota getting early or never kneeling, etc. One is a detriment to players. The other is not. And let's be honest, there's only one exotic everybody and their mother wants. All people wanted to know if Xur would actually resell it.

Bigger problem for the players experience? No
Bigger problem for long term retention? Yes

You can see where Bungie priority will lie.

Homeboyd

At least now we know what the weekly update will be about.

Can they patch in an algorithm so that we can't accurately predict what DeeJ will bring in his inventory each week? :/

Feorax

Not to completely give up hope, but the guy had only pulled the inventory through August, so there is hope beyond there. Also, it didn't have any of the HoW Exotics. Xur will likely be shaken up when HoW is added to the mix since we can expect him to sell the 2 Exotic pieces multiple times like TDB exotics. Unless they will just overwrite what was originally going to be planned those weeks anyway.

It's such a strange thing though. It's like Bungie sees acquiring Gjallarhorn as the end of the end game, as if they're desperate to keep it out of people's hands as long as possible because they're terrified people will stop playing once they have it.

Which is something I've never (anecdotally speaking) seen or heard of in reality.

This. It's such a weird dynamic for me. I have never played anything this much before in my life. Not even close. DGAF certainly is a big part of why I keep coming back.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that the community is also a big aspect of me coming back. If it weren't for the Dark Souls 2 player base atrophying so quickly, I would have stayed there much longer too.

The Raids are fun, and very well done. Even Crota's End which we bag on, is still fun with a group of 6. It's funny because the game still has rudimentary and lackluster social tools, but third parties came through with the solutions that keep us going.

Yeah, I like Destiny, I've poured dozens of hours of my time into it, but goddamn, it should not be getting anywhere near any GOTY awards. There were just quite a few games out last year where were just flat out better.

I will always gage a games worth based on how much fun I had with it. top 2 games of last year

destiny
mario kart 8

Sullichin

I guess Bungie wants to keep Xur mysterious and pretend they somehow don't have any control over what he sells. The sell and drop rate for No Land Beyond is maddening.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that the community is also a big aspect of me coming back. If it weren't for the Dark Souls 2 player base atrophying so quickly, I would have stayed there much longer too.

The Raids are fun, and very well done. Even Crota's End which we bag on, is still fun with a group of 6. It's funny because the game still has rudimentary and lackluster social tools, but third parties came through with the solutions that keep us going.

Can't believe I "only" put like 500 hours into Dark Souls 2. Even Destiny can't touch what Dark Souls I did to me. Bloodborne is going to destroy me.

It's such a strange thing though. It's like Bungie sees acquiring Gjallarhorn as the end of the end game, as if they're desperate to keep it out of people's hands as long as possible because they're terrified people will stop playing once they have it.

Which is something I've never (anecdotally speaking) seen or heard of in reality.

There have been a few posts about it and I think some have, but largely, most stick around to play with the damn thing.

It would be interesting to see their internal player activity analytics and see if there is any correlation to "inactivity" and what recent loot had been acquired in the previous couple weeks.

Here's your OT title suggestion:

Destiny |OT19| Game of the Year Edition

Your welcome.

nope.gif

It's funny, I have put way more hours into this game than any other game in years. Possibly the most hours I've put in any game ever, yet I wouldn't put it within a mile of a GOTY. I still maintain it is at best a 7/10 experience. The loot system, as broken and infuriating as it is, has its hooks sunk deep into me. It's not necessarily a healthy relationship, but I do keep playing which is what they want.

Maybe you need to rethink your criteria here.

I mean, what else would you call that? A game where you've invested more time into a game than ever before? I mean, it's obviously doing some thing right.

If you don't think that it's your personal GOTY, then maybe you need to redifine your standards.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Good Xur stock tomorrow. I'm interested in buying No Land Beyond, No Land Beyond and an extra No Land Beyond. Possibly also No Land Beyond to help my Warlock hit 32.

rNilla

I mean, what else would you call that? A game where you've invested more time into a game than ever before? I mean, it's obviously doing some thing right.

If you don't think that it's your personal GOTY, then maybe you need to redifine your standards.

I don't see why it has to be #1 strictly based on time spent. Otherwise doesn't it have to be the de facto Game of My Lifetime? It is certainly not.

Dark Souls 2 (My 2014 GOTY) destroys Destiny in every imaginable way. Like I mentioned before, the quick decline of the playerbase and difficulty in finding easy Coop was the reason I stopped playing it.

GhaleonEB

Good Xur stock tomorrow. I'm interested in buying No Land Beyond, No Land Beyond and an extra No Land Beyond. Possibly also No Land Beyond to help my Warlock hit 32.

Remember, if you run out of No Land Beyond, just stock up on extra No Land Beyond so you can reload your No Land Beyond.

Sullichin

Personally I'm hoping for Land Beyond Nemesis, Mask of the Third Land, MK Land Asides, and Hard Land, but I won't hold my breath

nOoblet16

It's the same for me, GOTY for me is the game that provides me with the best experience. Not just gameplay: but atmosphere, music, story, gameplay etc. Destiny just provides two things for me that makes me invest time in it

1) Co op gameplay with Friends..this is the main reason.
2) Gameplay - it's addictive and very good.

Everything else is just not up to my standards. My GOTY for last year was Wolfenstein.

I don't see why it has to be #1 strictly based on time spent. Otherwise doesn't it have to be the de facto Game of My Lifetime? It is certainly not.

Certainly not. As a person typically changes tastes and opinion as they grow. That said, why would you discredit something you obviously spend a lot of time on? It just seems more like denial than anything else.

Dark Souls 2 (My 2014 GOTY) destroys Destiny in every imaginable way. Like I mentioned before, the quick decline of the playerbase and difficulty in finding easy Coop was the reason I stopped playing it.

But typically games with rapidly declining playerbases have reasons for that decline. Imbalance, lack of player progression, or monotonous gameplay.

A great game, a Game of the Year, obviously isn't great if it can't hold it's own player-base's attention for longer than a month or so.

Namikaze1

Out of all the games I bought last year, Destiny has been the only one I have put hundreds of hours in. But it is not my GOTY. Why? Cause the lack of a great single player, the raid being a broken mess, the terrible "story" in the game (not counting grimoires here), and several more reasons. Yes, I had a great time playing with gaffers but I still wouldn't consider the game GOtY material.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I reallllllly need to beat the base DSII before Bloodborne comes out.
A great game, a Game of the Year, obviously isn't great if it can't hold it's own player-base's attention for longer than a month or so.
While you have some legitimate points to make about what might be a viable claimant to the GOTY throne, this is largely nonsense. Plenty of extremely high-quality games aren't designed to be experienced for more than a few days, let alone over a month.

Namikaze1

I really need to beat all three Souls games before Bloodborne. :(

I only have DkS1 though. Have the week off next week. I should go back and finish that one at least. Demon's Souls will be tough cause I don't have a PS3 anymore.

While you have some legitimate points to make about what might be a viable claimant to the GOTY throne, this is largely nonsense. Plenty of extremely high-quality games aren't designed to be experienced for more than a few days, let alone over a month.

No, no, not at all what I was trying to say. I was referencing a game that was specifically designed to have a multiplayer aspect to it.

Certainly there are single player games that could be consumed in a much smaller amount of time that are still worthy of a GOTY title.

That said, I realize that I'm basically asking everyone here to redefine their own person meaning of GOTY and how stupid that is of me. So disregard everybody. I was going off on another one of my dumb crusades that I slip into every so often.

Sullichin

I really need to beat all three Souls games before Bloodborne. :(

I only have DkS1 though. Have the week off next week. I should go back and finish that one at least. Demon's Souls will be tough cause I don't have a PS3 anymore.

Dark Souls is the best game ever. What part did you stop on?

Destiny is the only game that rivals playtime for me. I played Dark Souls 2 for like 400 hours too and that doesn't scratch the surface of how much I played the first. Such an endlessly replayable game. The idea of a new world with the same interconnectedness is what makes me most excited for Bloodborne.

stb

The same thing happened with Skyrim; people were all "I played Skyrim for 600 hours, and it sucked."

If other games are "better", why not play them more? Are they not worth replaying? If they are't worth replaying, does that not undermine them being "better"?

There are taller walls than the Great Wall of China. There are walls made out of better materials than it. But I think you'd be hard pressed to say any walls are more impressive than it. It's the best overall wall.
walls:Great Wall of China::2014 games:Destiny

It's flawed, but so is every game that came out last year. For Destiny to be as ambitious as it is (even though the product doesn't fully realize what they originally wanted to) and get as much right as it does, especially as a new IP, is an achievement, warts and all.

One game I've seen mentioned as an alternative is Mordor. Sorry, but further tuning Assassin's Creed gameplay and adding a "nemesis system" a game of the year does not make.

Edit: struck the above so as to not derail the thread into Mordor vs Destiny slap fight.

Remember, if you run out of No Land Beyond, just stock up on extra No Land Beyond so you can reload your No Land Beyond.

Dual Wielding No Land Beyond.

But typically games with rapidly declining playerbases have reasons for that decline. Imbalance, lack of player progression, or monotonous gameplay.

Subjective.

I would consider The Last of Us as a candidate for GOAT, but it is a ~14 hour experience with moderate replayability.

Playtime and replayability are certainly factors, but Destiny at this point is like every day fast food. A game like The Last of Us is a meal by a 3 Star Michelin chef. You don't eat there every day, but it is a special, world class experience.

Namikaze1

Dark Souls is the best game ever. What part did you stop on?

Destiny is the only game that rivals playtime for me. I played Dark Souls 2 for like 400 hours too and that doesn't scratch the surface of how much I played the first. Such an endlessly replayable game. The idea of a new world with the same interconnectedness is what makes me most excited for Bloodborne.
I can't even remember. All I know is that I got to "AMAZING CHEST AHEAD!!" before I gave up. Though I'm sure I did some more exploring after that. I just hope my brother hasn't deleted my file.

I played it on 360 by the way.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That said, I realize that I'm basically asking everyone here to redefine their own person meaning of GOTY and how stupid that is of me. So disregard everybody. I was going off on another one of my dumb crusades that I slip into every so often.
haha, respect.

There is a very reasonable point to be made in the subtext of what you're saying (and tangoed with in stb's post above), which is:

A lot of people recoiling from the pick are saying something along the lines of "I've played it by far the most of any game in 2014/recent times/all time myself, but there's no way it was the GotY because of [x]", which superficially isn't a contradictory statement, but it does sort of seem to indicate that the part of the sentence before the comma is totally unrelated to the criteria by which one should choose their personal Game of the Year. I mean, I think everyone should take advantage of whatever criteria they feel personally sufficient to choose their favorite game in a given year. Getting an extreme degree of longitudinal and hour-total playtime (and thus value), if it was fun, to me seems like a solid thing to take into account for any determination.

That said, with the above caveats in mind it makes me sort of ambivalent about my own pick. What were the other nominees- does BAFTA even do it that way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom