• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT18| CA$H-4-CROTA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Xur stock tomorrow. I'm interested in buying No Land Beyond, No Land Beyond and an extra No Land Beyond. Possibly also No Land Beyond to help my Warlock hit 32.

hopefully these No land beyonds can be turned around and used like baseball bats. make it more effective. besides this game will be my official GOAT of I can smack enemies off the map like Ness

stb

Subjective.

Well, therein lies the problem. "Best" is intrinsically subjective.

We joke on the show about "smiles per hour" as a metric for enjoyment of a game. I only played Super Mario 3d World for around 10 hours, but was literally smiling for the majority of it. Ergo, it had a very high "smiles per hour" rating.

I deeply enjoy playing Destiny, and it definitely scratches the game theory/OCD parts of my brain, but it drives me NUTS sometimes. I've also played it probably 30x longer. This gives it a lower SPH.

This creates an interesting exercise. Which do I value more? The intensity of the enjoyment or the total amount of it? If there was a 5 hour game I enjoyed more than Super Mario 3d World, would I call it "better"?

If I review the games I played year by year, and pick out the ones I would have missed the most if I hadn't gotten them, I almost always lean toward the "total amount of enjoyment".

To extend your food metaphor, is the ONE meal by the Michelin chef better than one meal at McDonalds? by most sane people, yes.

But what Kor and I are positing is something more like: "Would you rather have one meal by a Michelin chef, or a year's worth of meals at the diner down the street (which makes a pretty mean chicken and waffles, but the pies aren't that great) with your friends?"

ethomaz

Banned
67gbGOi.jpg

Was tempted to scribble "Suck it!" on the bottom but decided to keep it classy.
Great job... thanks.

whats better than destiny? i haven't played it

the game has many flaws but the core gameplay is so good otherwise i wouldn't have spent countless hours on it

other shooters feel like junk to me

But what Kor and I are positing is something more like: "Would you rather have one meal by a Michelin chef, or a year's worth of meals at the diner down the street (which makes a pretty mean chicken and waffles, but the pies aren't that great) with your friends?"

This is a very good point. Obviously, the utility and enjoyment of either scenario is completely subjective. It's also possible for someone to change their mind several times on the question.

You said McD's first, but I get the picture. To be fair though, we could at least say VoG is like splurging for a meal at Ruth's Criss and Crota's End is like a night at Applebee's.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So Dark Souls II is more like that crazy, estoreric pan-fusion restaurant with the ridiculously awesome atmosphere I eat at a few times a month, like more than half the menu is stuff I can't pronounce let alone interpret and so I'll probably never wind up trying them, but over all I can't help but admit the quality level is truly fantastic since the chefs use the best melee combat in the industry and totally revamped dual-wielding to make it more interesting for me.

i may have lost control of that metaphor at the end

So Dark Souls II is more like that crazy, estoreric pan-fusion restaurant with the ridiculously awesome atmosphere I eat at a few times a month, like more than half the menu is stuff I can't pronounce let alone interpret and so I'll probably never wind up trying them, but over all I can't help but admit the quality level is truly fantastic since the chefs use the best melee combat in the industry and totally revamped dual-wielding to make it more interesting for me.

I knew what you meant.

I think you are actually getting somewhere. Do The Order 1886 next.

"Destiny will undergo maintenance shortly."

*synths heavy ammo*

Had to take that Sepiks down before Bungie pulled my ass back into orbit.

Guess that's the cue for me to call it a day.

in all honesty, this game would be pure garbage if it wasnt for friends to play with.

This is GOTY based on your first run with friends in the VOG. I dont care what other content it has. its my GOTY alone based on that. The 1st time was the best and still remains the most I enjoyed and felt while playing a video game.

My 1st VOG was about 3 hours long. long enuogh to be considered a game on its own

I was mostly a single player guy before playing the destiny beta and I I even thought I would play the story and move on to the next game. But here I am, still playing, still playing with the same folks and its super awesome. No other game last year could do that for me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Destiny is a more like a slowly-improving buffet where not everyone enjoys every dish equally or even at all but lots of people like certain ones enough to keep coming back even if they don't enjoy the others and also the cooks are secretly preparing everything with heroin
I think you are actually getting somewhere. Do The Order 1886 next.
Right now The Order is that classy restaurant that looks quite appealing from the outside but I've heard enough bad things about to stay away until they substantially lower their prices

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Hey all week 4 started for me, doing good, a setback of infection is bound to happen being in the hospital but I've been getting stronger everyday. Losing weight at a real good pace also, one thing is this injury has been a reset + cold turkey to being stationary for long periods aka Destiny grind. I'm just waiting to use both my legs which is still 3-4 weeks away from that milestone. I'd like to thank for your generosity for the to fund me, but I will be falling way too short on that front. I deeply appreciate the help if someone could post on the OT side my ordeal, I would do so but GAF mobile is really difficult to use. Go fund me site: http://www.gofundme.com/o3n8uk
I hate being a beggar like this and swallow my pride, but this circumstance is too high for me to overcome by myself. Thanks GAF for being the best.

My opinion on the game has become a lot more positive the last few weeks, but I'll be the first to admit there's still a lot of irksome bullshit. Especially in the loot department.

I also get an ungodly amount of weasel and caterpillar errors and there's seemingly no fix but to "suck it up".

Destiny is a more like a slowly-improving buffet where not everyone enjoys every dish equally or even at all but lots of people like certain ones enough to keep coming back even if they don't enjoy the others and also the cooks are secretly preparing everything with heroin

I was about to tell you that it's time to stop... but then I read the above... keep it coming, I'm getting hungry.

GhaleonEB

Right now The Order is that classy restaurant that looks quite appealing from the outside but I've heard enough bad things about to stay away until they substantially lower their prices

Your food analogies are almost alarmingly accurate.

On a related note, I'm hungry.

Hey all week 4 started for me, doing good, a setback of infection is bound to happen being in the hospital but I've been getting stronger everyday. Losing weight at a real good pace also, one thing is this injury has been a reset + cold turkey to being stationary for long periods aka Destiny grind. I'm just waiting to use both my legs which is still 3-4 weeks away from that milestone. I'd like to thank for your generosity for the to fund me, but I will be falling way too short on that front. I deeply appreciate the help if someone could post on the OT side my ordeal, I would do so but GAF mobile is really difficult to use. Go fund me site: http://www.gofundme.com/o3n8uk
I hate being a beggar like this and swallow my pride, but this circumstance is too high for me to overcome by myself. Thanks GAF for being the best.

Glad to hear you're getting better, Grave.

Good to hear your getting better. Will drop a little funding for you this weekend. Can't wait to get you back playing

I'm not sure I can get behind comparing Destiny to a buffet. That's bottom tier.

Maybe it's one of those Brazillian Churrascarias. Bringing around those choice cuts of meat on a skewer. We're all waiting for those exotic pieces to come, but you aren't sure if its in season or on the menu that day.

Lnkn52

Maybe it's one of those Brazillian Churrascarias. Bringing around those choice cuts of meat on a skewer. We're all waiting for those exotic pieces to come, but you aren't sure if its in season or on the menu that day.
You're right a Texas de Brazil. Very fancy but eat too much and it might lead to bad poop.

Those that don't like the game are vegetarians but Texas de Brazil (Destiny) does serve a wide selection of salads to try to win them over.

EL CUCO

Bungie may be trolling with Xur now:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2yu2cm/misc_bungies_xur_changesno_land_beyond_troll/

I tried to data-mine today and bungie has implemented a lot of changes. Instead of Xur having one single constant IP on one port, he now has multiple. If you join a tower instance and you're the only one there, Xur will have 16 different IP address. If you join and its 8 other people, Xur will have 9 different ones. Only one of the possible IP's you connect to will share the packet information you need. The others will include self-input data like controller movement, date & time, and other player constants.
To combat this I used zone alarm on each IP separately until I isolated the one that sends the packets for weapons. This took considerably longer than I thought because each unique IP only sends packets for a 45 second window and then they stop for 100ms, and then restart. This made it hard to decipher the hex code and decide if there were any patterns.
Finally, once I managed to isolate the IP, find the pattern, and looped it. Every 22 packets started with the same 8b Hex. Bungie had literally broadcasted every thing as a No Land Beyond. This is what I found(obviously a troll), but yeah:
No Land Beyond 999 Attack Kinectic Damage
No Land Beyond 488 Defense Warlock Chest Piece
No Land Beyond 366 Defense Hunter Gauntlets
No Land Beyond 447 Defense Titan Helmet

TL:DR
Bungie has employed 8 servers from their network, and 8 from Activision. They've employed a fail safe on 15/16. They constantly shuffle ports and IP's that lead to nothing. The one IP that does lead to anything has the name No Land Beyond for every weapon, armor, and upgrade.
LMAO! This Bungie is my favorite Bungie xD

TheOddOne

My opinion on the game has become a lot more positive the last few weeks, but I'll be the first to admit there's still a lot of irksome bullshit. Especially in the loot department.

I also get an ungodly amount of weasel and caterpillar errors and there's seemingly no fix but to "suck it up".
Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Hyun Sai

So I'm coming for the news. Did Noomi got his Hawkmoon yet ?

I'm on extensive vacation for nearly a week now. I got all I needed for my 3 goons so I don't have to switch anything ever. I still miss the Horn, but I won't waste time for a chance for it to not drop ever.

I'll be back for HoW or if Xur magically sells the Horn to have some quick fun with it.

Nami has tons of them, did you mean Noomi?
My mistake !

So I'm coming for the news. Did Nami got his Hawkmoon yet ?

I'm on extensive vacation for nearly a week now. I got all I needed for my 3 goons so I don't have to switch anything ever. I still miss the Horn, but I won't waste time for a chance for it to not drop ever.

I'll be back for HoW or if Xur magically sells the Horn to have some quick fun with it.

Nami has tons of them, did you mean Noomi?

CREMSteve

Bungie may be trolling with Xur now:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2yu2cm/misc_bungies_xur_changesno_land_beyond_troll/

I tried to data-mine today and bungie has implemented a lot of changes. Instead of Xur having one single constant IP on one port, he now has multiple. If you join a tower instance and you're the only one there, Xur will have 16 different IP address. If you join and its 8 other people, Xur will have 9 different ones. Only one of the possible IP's you connect to will share the packet information you need. The others will include self-input data like controller movement, date & time, and other player constants.
To combat this I used zone alarm on each IP separately until I isolated the one that sends the packets for weapons. This took considerably longer than I thought because each unique IP only sends packets for a 45 second window and then they stop for 100ms, and then restart. This made it hard to decipher the hex code and decide if there were any patterns.
Finally, once I managed to isolate the IP, find the pattern, and looped it. Every 22 packets started with the same 8b Hex. Bungie had literally broadcasted every thing as a No Land Beyond. This is what I found(obviously a troll), but yeah:
No Land Beyond 999 Attack Kinectic Damage
No Land Beyond 488 Defense Warlock Chest Piece
No Land Beyond 366 Defense Hunter Gauntlets
No Land Beyond 447 Defense Titan Helmet
TL:DR
Bungie has employed 8 servers from their network, and 8 from Activision. They've employed a fail safe on 15/16. They constantly shuffle ports and IP's that lead to nothing. The one IP that does lead to anything has the name No Land Beyond for every weapon, armor, and upgrade.
This is fantastic, lol.

patchday

So I'm coming for the news. Did Noomi got his Hawkmoon yet ?

My mistake !

Not sure if returning for HoW but I'd play if xur brings me something coo. I'll even run a weekly. I just want ruin wings. already got 2 ghorns but I'd love to see others get it too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom