• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT18| CA$H-4-CROTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Rented the game 4 days ago, looking to see if it was worth a buy w/ the Expansion Pass.

Got stuck at 24, for a while. Realized how much of a non-sense commendation is - pretty much a requisite in order to level up which forces grinding more or less. Like they couldn't figure out how to slow people from leveling up so they add a time consuming barrier - wtf? That, already with the weekly 100 mark limit is a lot of nonsense.

Got to 25 by grinding Vanguard etc...decide to give Raid (Vault of Glass) a try....... NO MATCHMAKING!!!! - like WTF??? I get the difficulty/team oriented nature of it but it's not enough for locking it up. In effect, for people (players) like me, you're locking them out of content in their "own" game. What a stupid requirement to say the least (aka a group of 5 more players). Immediacy is key.

The above and the fact that the expansion is overpriced, coupled with a short story = NO BUY. Goes back to Gamefly tomorrow. I guess I am going to miss Xur, never met him but I had 14 strange coins :(

There are some good things with the game. Factions are well done. Strike matchmaking works great - the playlist is nice. The overarching concept of interstellar war with "darkness" is also a nice theme. I'm OK with the quest system/story layout. Gun handling is great - Haloish, improved if anything - A+. Weapon variety is also nice. Some NPCs could of played a bigger role in the "story". I liked the HUB system.

The good doesn't outdo the bad/odd design choices in my opinion and since I can only "like" grinding for sooo long.. the game definitely isn't a keeper.

MP wasn't great IMO - only good mode of the bunch is Control. Not sure if it's was too fast paced, small maps, low player counts or whathave you, just didn't connect, except Control - objective based, go figure....

Ganhyun

Rented the game 4 days ago, looking to see if it was worth a buy w/ the Expansion Pass.

Got stuck at 24, for a while. Realized how much of a non-sense commendation is - pretty much a requisite in order to level up which forces grinding more or less. Like they couldn't figure out how to slow people from leveling up so they add a time consuming barrier - wtf? That, already with the weekly 100 mark limit is a lot of nonsense.

Got to 25 by grinding Vanguard etc...decide to give Raid (Vault of Glass) a try....... NO MATCHMAKING!!!! - like WTF??? I get the difficulty/team oriented nature of it but it's not enough for locking it up. In effect, for people (players) like me, you're locking them out of content in their "own" game. What a stupid requirement to say the least (aka a group of 5 more players).

The above and the fact that the expansion is overpriced, coupled with a short story = NO BUY. Goes back to Gamefly tomorrow. I guess I am going to miss Xur, never met him but I had 14 strange coins :(

There are some good things with the game. Factions are well done. The overarching concept of interstellar war with "darkness" is also a nice theme. I'm OK with the quest system/story layout. Gun handling is great - Haloish, improved if anything - A+. Weapon variety is also nice. Some NPCs could of played a bigger role in the "story". I liked the HUB system.

The good doesn't outdo the bad/odd design choices in my opinion and since I can only "like" grinding for sooo long.. the game definitely isn't a keeper.

MP wasn't great IMO - only good mode of the bunch is Control. Not sure if it's was too fast paced, small maps, low player counts or whathave you, just didn't connect, except Control - objective based, go figure....

IF you believe old rumors and such they have done everything they can to slow progression because the first two DLCs basically were supposed to be in the game at launch but were cut and redone into DLC because of the major changes made in the last year of development.

I tend to agree that something happened, but not sure how much of the rumors are true.

Got to 25 by grinding Vanguard etc...decide to give Raid (Vault of Glass) a try....... NO MATCHMAKING!!!! - like WTF??? I get the difficulty/team oriented nature of it but it's not enough for locking it up. In effect, for people (players) like me, you're locking them out of content in their "own" game. What a stupid requirement to say the least (aka a group of 5 more players). Immediacy is key.

There are some good things with the game. Factions are well done. Strike matchmaking works great - the playlist is nice. The overarching concept of interstellar war with "darkness" is also a nice theme. I'm OK with the quest system/story layout. Gun handling is great - Haloish, improved if anything - A+. Weapon variety is also nice. Some NPCs could of played a bigger role in the "story". I liked the HUB system.

Yea there's definitely a huge grind including a fair amount of nonsense/worthless grind. After a while you figure out which content is fun for your liking and run it. All I do now are nightfalls/weeklies and parts of the raid.

I agree that 100 mark weekly cap is bad along with how little you earn PvP marks. 3 for win and 2 for loss. It's atrocious. Then during events they don't even increase it so it's pretty dumb.

Strike matchmaking isn't perfect. They definitely need a vote/kick system. Way too many idles or people that fool around and potentially get you booted.

Regarding raid matchmaking, they need to have an in game HUB like at the tower for LFG. They should definitely NOT have matchmaking for the raid, at least not this version of mm. It would completely ruin the experience for most people especially new people. If 6 new people got matchmade together it'd most likely be an awful experience and wouldn't want to do it again. Even with 6 fairly experienced people parts can be hard because communication is crucial. What if you did raid matchmaking and 3 people didn't have mics? It'd be a bad experience.

This community is a great place to lfg. And if the timing is bad and can't find anyone, then destinylfg.net.

The story is nonexistent, the content is lacking, but the raids and playing with this community is fantastic and keeps most of us going. I have a blast playing with everyone here. I hope you can find some deal or way to get the game to enjoy the parts that you find fun. The raids are really fun especially the first times. I hope you at least give that a shot because VoG is pretty awesome.

I have it, but I am at work at the moment, not likely to be online for at least another 3-4 hours :(

If you don't get it before then I am happy to load it up for you.

Thanks but I will be sleeping still. In southern california here. Work at 6 am so gotta get that shut eye :)

I do appreciate it though!

Just finished my 17th Crota kill across three characters. I've run the sword for 10-12 of those after graduating from Hawkian's Sword School!

Loot:

Song of Ir Yut: 3
Hunger of Crota: 2
Swordbreaker: 2
Helmets: 2 (Hunter/Titan)
Exotics: 3 (No Land Beyond, 4th Horseman and The Last Word)
Ships: 1
Light of the Abyss: 0
Black Hammer: 0 SIGH

No HM attempts yet.

Doing crotas end on normal. Need 3 people psn reaperchad.

Thanks for that run! My mic was being weird I could hear you all but you giys couldnt hear me.

I was super stoked to see Hardlight, Black Hammer and the titan helms drop for me. Shocked actually! Thanks again.

I'm guessing they scrambled his wares after the patch.

Xur's inventory according to most recent leak.

AEZYnEB.jpg

No Heavy Ammo, bummer.

Lace

Thanks for that run! My mic was being weird I could hear you all but you giys couldnt hear me.

I was super stoked to see Hardlight, Black Hammer and the titan helms drop for me. Shocked actually! Thanks again.
Haha yea thanks for the assist. Those radiant shards I got made it hurt a little seeing that.

FyreWulff

So I looked up Bungie's counter-patch to the Xur thing.

I fucking love how the programmers made his data look like it was all No Land Beyonds lol

edit: post above ^

Just finished my 17th Crota kill across three characters. I've run the sword for 10-12 of those after graduating from Hawkian's Sword School!

Loot:

Song of Ir Yut: 3
Hunger of Crota: 2
Swordbreaker: 2
Helmets: 2 (Hunter/Titan)
Exotics: 3 (No Land Beyond, 4th Horseman and The Last Word)
Ships: 1
Light of the Abyss: 0
Black Hammer: 0 SIGH

No HM attempts yet.

My drops from Normal are eerily similar to you. Exact same numbers except 1 Light of the Abyss. Including the Exotics (but I may have gotten 4th Horseman from Hard.) I think I also got a Warlock Helm too on Normal, but yeah, remarkably similar.

My drops from Normal are eerily similar to you. Exact same numbers except 1 Light of the Abyss. Including the Exotics (but I may have gotten 4th Horseman from Hard.) I think I also got a Warlock Helm too on Normal, but yeah, remarkably similar.

That's a pretty great set of drops really. If I'd had a single BH in there I'd consider it almost optimal (crappy exotics aside). Never expected the helmet drops to be so frequent, unless I'm rolling 20s there which is very possible as I've always been really lucky with armour. Only took me two VoG runs to get to 30 back in October, much to the disgust of most of my raid group.

That's a pretty great set of drops really. If I'd had a single BH in there I'd consider it almost optimal (crappy exotics aside). Never expected the helmet drops to be so frequent, unless I'm rolling 20s there which is very possible as I've always been really lucky with armour. Only took me two VoG runs to get to 30 back in October, much to the disgust of most of my raid group.

I know others have had worse luck, but Helms drop like crazy for me and was only talking about my normal drops. If I include hard.

I have had at least 4 Hunter , 3 Warlock and 2 Titan helms drop in only 20 total clears. It's about a 50% drop rate for me at Crota.

Still desperately want Black Hammer.

Just looked into the data mine. LOL!! NLB for everything. That's pretty damn hilarious. It's almost as if they know it's a shitty weapon so they trolled with it. I mean why else pick that weapon?

Pretty funny

Just looked into the data mine. LOL!! NLB for everything. That's pretty damn hilarious. It's almost as if they know it's a shitty weapon so they trolled with it. I mean why else pick that weapon?

Pretty funny

It is hilarious, but they should have used Gjallarhorn for maximum trollishness.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Strike matchmaking isn't perfect. They definitely need a vote/kick system.

Regarding raid matchmaking, they need to have an in game HUB like at the tower for LFG. They should definitely NOT have matchmaking for the raid, at least not this version of mm. It would completely ruin the experience for most people especially new people.

I only had like 1 idle(normal strike) and like 2 noobs dying due to inexperience (on my weekly hard strike). Otherwise after doing quite a bunch of raids...majority of people knew the tasks and the objective and executed. So I was very pleased with it- 99% of the time it was a good experience. A kick system should be considered, as long as it's not exploited.

Yes, RAID match-making is tricky. I watched a Youtube RAID run and I got to understand the complexity of it. Still, I don't think it should be locked out. When I say "matchmaking" I say gaming with strangers on the fly without having to be friends or requiring some sort of explicit communication to get there. For that to happen it will take some serious rethinking of how to design Raids, how to "match-make" and how to present objectives to players. It's not impossible but it's kinda complex to make it as flawless or intuitive as a simple STRIKE (without damaging complexity or difficulty). What you have is the easiest solution to the problem - not address it at all from a design standpoint.

I only had like 1 idle and like 2 noobs dying constantly. Otherwise after doing quite a bunch of raids...majority of people new the task and the objective and executed. So I was very pleased. A kick system should be considered, as long as it's not exploited.

Yes, RAID match-making is tricky. I watched a Youtube run and I got to understand the complexity of it. Still, I don't think it should be locked out. When I say "matchmaking" I say gaming with strangers on the fly without having to be friends or requiring some sort of explicit communication to get there. For that to happen it will take some serious rethinking of how to design Raids, how to "match-make" and how to present objectives. It's not impossible but it's kinda complex to make it as flawless or intuitive as a simple STRIKE (without damaging complexity or difficulty). What you have is the easiest solution to the problem - not address it at all.

Matchmaking for the Heroic strike works well enough since Strikes are fairly rudimentary in design.

Raids, matchmaking would just be more trouble than it is worth. You are very likely to have a "bad time". AFKer's, people that want to cheese vs those who don't. Just a bad mix.

What the game needs is an in-game LFG system. Social tools to make a pre-made team, filter out certain people on your own criteria etc. A tool like the DestinyLFG sites within the UI could be incredibly useful.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Matchmaking for the Heroic strike works well enough since Strikes are fairly rudimentary in design.

Raids, matchmaking would just be more trouble than it is worth. You are very likely to have a "bad time". AFKer's, people that want to cheese vs those who don't. Just a bad mix.

What the game needs is an in-game LFG system. Social tools to make a pre-made team, filter out certain people on your own criteria etc. A tool like the DestinyLFG sites within the UI could be incredibly useful.

That would help Yes. Ultimately the problem is in design and intuitiveness of the objectives - the way they're presented to the player. I think the Raids could do well with a very accessible difficulty mode and objective markers as aids to get noob players familiarized (the industry has made great strides on this I think). To avoid spoiling the big fun of big "new" bosses, replace them, lock them out etc. Higher difficulties with NO AIDS give greater loot, randomizing some objectives, create new modifiers, and not only require a certain level cap but also completion of the AID-Mode at least once.

There are various ways to focus test and try to work the issue but I don't get paid to design :) Smarter folks do.

amar212

stuff to perhaps expect in the next patch.

It will be a painful wait.

I am loading all my slots prior to every main activity to force Exotic drops at Postman. It helps, but since it seems Postman can't hold more than 10-12 items, I do not want to lose anything so I started sharding. And I do not love it.

I can't hold any more of materials at all. I simply gave up and maxxed my Vanguard and Crucible marks because I can't store a single material anymore - vault is full, characters are full.

But better late than never, I guess.

Shito

That would help Yes. Ultimately the problem is in design and intuitiveness of the objectives - the way they're presented to the player. I think the Raids could do well with a very accessible difficulty mode and objective markers as aids to get noob players familiarized (the industry has made great strides on this I think). To avoid spoiling the big fun of big "new" bosses, replace them, lock them out etc. Higher difficulties with NO AIDS give greater loot, randomizing some objectives, create new modifiers, and not only require a certain level cap but also completion of the AID-Mode at least once.

There are various ways to focus test and try to work the issue but I don't get paid to design :) Smarter folks do.
I don't agree with that: VoG is a brilliantly designed raid, and I wouldn't want the first experience you can have of it to be "compromised" by aids to make it viable to be done via q random matchmaking.
You're also forgetting an important point about why it would be very difficult to add MM to the raids and make it work: they take A LOT of time to complete the first times you run them. Most people playing with randoms would just quit at one point, and it would add quite a lot of down time while you are waiting for them to be replaced by the MM system.
I'm in the camp of the people wishing to see a kind of lfg system to be implemented in the game.

the daylight savings delay?

he used to come right now
It's not a bug. Servers don't care about daylight savings, because this is a local thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom