• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT18| CA$H-4-CROTA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have actually in MCC and Halo1s story still doesn't feel this bad. If anything, its very simple. At the very least, they explain things when they happen. But mostly, the story is super simple.

In Destiny, they mention things that i never knew what they were unless you do research on the net or those grimore cards which to me is just stupid. I have nothing against putting more lore in the cards, but dont put everything in there.

Hmm... You just got me thinking that maybe Destiny suffered from "too many villians to introduce" syndrome.

Halo had an introduction of 2 alien species as enemies. Which worked out okay, and actually helped prevent stagnation.

Destiny tried to introduce us to 4 very unique alien species, but what happened is that we only barely got introductions, and not much else. There wasn't enough growth for us to really learn about these other races.

It's like superhero movies that try to squeeze in two villians at the same time. it hardly ever works because too much time is spent on back story and setup, and not enough actual interaction.

This does just reinforce my suspicion that we'll have a more solid story for Destiny 2, though.

I heard Iron Banner is coming next week, but I don't see any reference to it? How do people know, and will the damn sniper finally be mine?

It was datamined. Weapons this week for sale are Machine Gun and Auto Rifle. Chest and Boots.

Deku Tree

After listening to their GDC panel, I'm inclined to believe technical limitations tore this game to shreds. Not only having to develop on last gen, but the engine itself was a complete mess and I'm sure to some degree still is.

Bungie is just more outgoing than other developers and they explain stuff that other developers just refuse to disclose. Compare Destiny to a lot of other recent big budget game releases and the Destiny code looks actually damn good...

...although I am not trying to say that it doesn't need a lot of improvement.

Regarding the poorly told story, I don't believe it has anything to do with technical limitations. Halo had decent cut-scenes on the original xbox. They didn't want you to skip cut-scenes because if three people were playing a story mission they were unsure who should be allowed to choose whether or not to skip it, they actually said that at one point. I think they were focusing on creating grindy gameplay with story missions that they wanted you to replay over and over again, and some of their instincts about how players would play the game were not completely right, and having a lot of un-skippable cut-scenes would have made players much less interested in grinding the story missions over and over so they didn't put them in. That's my guess.

Gordon

After listening to their GDC panel, I'm inclined to believe technical limitations tore this game to shreds. Not only having to develop on last gen, but the engine itself was a complete mess and I'm sure to some degree still is.
If it's anything like Halo, I think Bungie are just messy coders that achieve the tight gunplay we like via shoestring/bubblegum methods a lot of the time. There were a ridiculous number of restrictions in Halo with regard to what the game was capable of doing, and the structure of the scripting for gametypes is crazy. Reminds me of DOS - absolutely revolutionary, but also stuck with CTRL-ALT-DEL because there's a problem we can't figure out how to fix so band-aid.

In Destiny I get the feeling there is a similar convoluted mess keeping it going and that's why we see so many bugs, and why the bug patches are prone to having side-effects.

Edit: Not to say that their code is bad or anything - just convoluted/messy ala Einstein's desk

Bungie is just more outgoing than other developers and they explain stuff that other developers just refuse to disclose. Compare Destiny to a lot of other recent big budget game releases and the Destiny code looks actually damn good...

...although I am not trying to say that it doesn't need a lot of improvement.

Regarding the poorly told story, I don't believe it has anything to do with technical limitations. Halo had decent cut-scenes on the original xbox. They didn't want you to skip cut-scenes because if three people were playing a story mission they were unsure who should be allowed to choose whether or not to skip it, they actually said that at one point. I think they were focusing on creating grindy gameplay with story missions that they wanted you to replay over and over again, and some of their instincts about how players would play the game were not completely right, and having a lot of un-skippable cut-scenes would have made players much less interested in grinding the story missions over and over so they didn't put them in. That's my guess.

For the cutscenes shouldn't they make it so that all three people need to press 'skip' for it to skip? Wouldn't that work fine?

Side note, anyone for crucible?

TheOddOne

I heard Iron Banner is coming next week, but I don't see any reference to it? How do people know, and will the damn sniper finally be mine?
iICqyADlCklJE.png

From Bungie.net!

Dave_6

At least the inverse didn't happen. You could have bought it today, then had it drop Tuesday. =)

Agreed. Much more satisfying to have it drop like it did. I was still pretty excited when I saw with my own eyes that Xur had the Saint 14 last week though.

If it's anything like Halo, I think Bungie are just messy coders that achieve the tight gunplay we like via shoestring/bubblegum methods a lot of the time. There were a ridiculous number of restrictions in Halo with regard to what the game was capable of doing, and the structure of the scripting for gametypes is crazy. Reminds me of DOS - absolutely revolutionary, but also stuck with CTRL-ALT-DEL because there's a problem we can't figure out how to fix so band-aid.

In Destiny I get the feeling there is a similar convoluted mess keeping it going and that's why we see so many bugs, and why the bug patches are prone to having side-effects.

Edit: Not to say that their code is bad or anything - just convoluted/messy ala Einstein's desk

One of the worst things they've admitted to being a problem with their current Tiger engine is that creating a single test iteration is a huge time investment. They can't just make a quick change, throw it into a test realm, and test it later that day. It seems they've developed a bottle neck into their release structure. They're aware of it though, and they seem to still be working to correct that process.

Hmm... You just got me thinking that maybe Destiny suffered from "too many villians to introduce" syndrome.

Halo had an introduction of 2 alien species as enemies. Which worked out okay, and actually helped prevent stagnation.

Destiny tried to introduce us to 4 very unique alien species, but what happened is that we only barely got introductions, and not much else. There wasn't enough growth for us to really learn about these other races.

It's like superhero movies that try to squeeze in two villians at the same time. it hardly ever works because too much time is spent on back story and setup, and not enough actual interaction.

This does just reinforce my suspicion that we'll have a more solid story for Destiny 2, though.

That could be. In Halo, everything story wise felt like it had a good progression. In Destiny, they crammed all these planets and enemies in there and just rushed you through it. You could be right.

MegalonJJ

Banned
I currently only have a Hunter with loads of Sapphire wire and ass shards etc; if I start a second Hunter can I transfer across all of the materials? (Would gender make a difference?)

Deku Tree

Have you played the first Halo game in a while? It's story isn't anything amazing. The "story" for Halo that people remember as being epic comes from sequels and extended universe (novels mostly in this case).

The first Halo, isolated, is a story about humans running from aliens. Finding another set of aliens that can spawn from Humans. Finding robots who hate everybody and then blowing everything up.

Parts of Halo were even dropped from the canon as soon as Halo 2 went live.

This is part of why I give Destiny a break as far as story goes. It's the new Halo 1. Give it some time, and we'll actually have some good story floating around.

Yeah I played every Bungie Halo game over and over again and I have been saying for a long time that people are dramatically over stating how good the Halo stories were... in all the games... but the Halo games had a sometimes stupid cut-scene at the beginning and end of many levels that gave you some emotional connection to the mission you were playing and people miss that... it is no where to be found in Destiny...

For the cutscenes shouldn't they make it so that all three people need to press 'skip' for it to skip? Wouldn't that work fine?

Sure I guess. I can think up a few different possible systems. And I have no idea what was their final deciding factors.

RdN

Shit, Iron Banner already next week?

Can I still do the trick of being logged in the Tower during the daily reset to buy the stuff I want? Not sure I can stomach another grind so soon.

Skele7on

Banned
When your lead writer goes fairly soon to the games release, you bet your bottom dollar that something happened there that caused the panicked grimoire card solution we ended up with.

The issue was that when a game had already been delayed twice and you basically lost your story, there wasn't ample time to fix this before ship.

I feel that this is not really a Bungie mistake, I feel that activision pushed for the game to come out. I would also fully expect to see dramatic improvements in the next game.

Sure the last gen consoles didn't help, but also don't forget the engine was originally built for those consoles, the engine was actually started way before reach had hit shelves.

I trust Bungie still to this day.

Just a bit of an anecdotal story from the PWH household. The kids just got home from school and went to check on xur. They went nuts when they saw red death. Then they went crazy again when the younger one saw that he had 20 coins in his vault. When he realized that it took 23 since it's a primary, he started to puzzle out how to get the last three. Again, he lost it when he remembered that he did the 24 weekly with his 25 alt and had exactly 3 coins on that toon.

Then he had the ultimate "I'm going to Disney land" cheer once he bought it.

Ultimately, he had a much longer and louder period of excitement than when he got hawkmoon from the deathsinger.

:D Ahhh it's been a long time since I got that excited, there's something about knowing how the sausage is made that robs you of that innocent excitement, long may it last!

That could be. In Halo, everything story wise felt like it had a good progression. In Destiny, they crammed all these planets and enemies in there and just rushed you through it. You could be right.

Plus, they really had to utilize their space.

In Halo it was pretty common that you would have levels that were just earlier levels but a different time of day, or played in reverse.

Bungie did this with Destiny in a different way. We're playing through the same spaces multiple times, but with a different fork in the road. Or a path that is only accessible during this one mission.

Of course, the playing things in reverse is still there. First of Crota Mission and the Undying Mind strike proved that.

Like, if you looked at Halo 1 and only counted each level that had unique geometry, what would you have? 5 levels?

rNilla

Yeah I played every Bungie Halo game over and over again and I have been saying for a long time that people are dramatically over stating how good the Halo stories were... in all the games... but the Halo games had a sometimes stupid cut-scene at the beginning and end of many levels that gave you some emotional connection to the mission you were playing and people miss that... it is no where to be found in Destiny...

I never cared for the Halo lore which is probably why Reach was my favorite. No Master Chief. Just my own proxy Spartan. Also, space mission!

When your lead writer goes fairly soon to the games release, you bet your bottom dollar that something happened there that caused the panicked grimoire card solution we ended up with.

The issue was that when a game had already been delayed twice and you basically lost your story, there wasn't ample time to fix this before ship.

I feel that this is not really a Bungie mistake, I feel that activision pushed for the game to come out. I would also fully expect to see dramatic improvements in the next game.

Sure the last gen consoles didn't help, but also don't forget the engine was originally built for those consoles, the engine was actually started way before reach had hit shelves.

Yes and no. I don't blame Activision at all. Bungie has a history of biting off more than they can chew. I'd be willing to be if Activision let them push the day back again, they wouldn't have used that time to polish like they should have.

Every single Halo game was originally intended to be much larger than it actually was. Bungie just has ways of making you play the same areas more than once without you realizing it. Look at the ODST map. It's a mirror image of itself.

This is a side effect of poor planning.

Plus, they really had to utilize their space.

In Halo it was pretty common that you would have levels that were just earlier levels but a different time of day, or played in reverse.

Bungie did this with Destiny in a different way. We're playing through the same spaces multiple times, but with a different fork in the road. Or a path that is only accessible during this one mission.

Of course, the playing things in reverse is still there. First of Crota Mission and the Undying Mind strike proved that.

Like, if you looked at Halo 1 and only counted each level that had unique geometry, what would you have? 5 levels?

Yeah, it also helps that in Halo 1, going back through a level is only done once in a while where as in Destiny you do it a countless number of times in order to rank up, which doesn't help.

Good Hard CE attempt, Xboners. Had a really rocky start with the running portion but I think we handled the bridge pretty well. Sucks that the random swedish kid left, that Ir Yut part might have been a success with even Shrieker teams.

Yeah, it also helps that in Halo 1, going back through a level is only done once in a while where as in Destiny you do it a countless number of times in order to rank up, which doesn't help.

Not once in a while. It's just like playing the whole game in reverse once you hit the halfway point.

It's not exact, but it's almost like Level 1 is level 10. Level 2 is level 9, Level 3 is level 8, etc...

Deku Tree

I never cared for the Halo lore which is probably why Reach was my favorite. No Master Chief. Just my own proxy Spartan. Also, space mission!

Destiny should really have a space ship shooter mission! That ship mission in Reach was one my all time favorite Halo levels.

stb

Gunplay is superb. I didn't fully appreciate it at first since I hadn't really used a controller for FPS before and also had to spend hours retraining my brain to use standard camera controls. (no x-axis inversion).

Played a lot of FPS before, but didn't realize how good this was until after hundreds of hours in Destiny and going back to other games and notice the difference.

Late response: I was *very much* on the fence about Destiny because 1) I never played Halo 2) 100% of my FPS experience (thousands of hours) is on PC with KBM. Between these two things, "Halo"-esque gunplay was an unknown quantity to me, and it was primarily being praised by those I considered the unwashed masses of dual-analog users.

There was a very steep learning curve for me, especially in Crucible, but I've come to be fairly competent and appreciative of the feel. That said, there are still multiple times per session where I'm annoyed because I know I wouldn't have missed a shot or gotten killed if I'd had KBM.

I haven't played and PC FPS since Destiny was released, so I can't comment on if Destiny's gunplay will affect how I feel about systems I'm more familiar with (BF4).

E92 M3

I know without a doubt Destiny 2 will be one hell of a game. I am excited to see what they do with HoW and Comet, though.

FyreWulff

Halo was make-once-ship-once.

Destiny is a living breathing organism with tons of subsystems that aren't specifically locked together anymore like they would have been in Halo.

There's going to be some learning pains as they bring their new engine up to speed and gain institutional knowledge.

Impala26

Coming in as a tried and true Halo player, this is so very true about Destiny. And I honestly think this is a main factor why people kinda gave up with the game after a few weeks or a month or two--VERY repetitive in this sense.

Future releases either need one or more of the following:
1) Larger Hub Worlds
2) More Hub Worlds
3) Ability to Spawn in more than one location in a given hub world.

While we're at it, why don't we make a few missions with completely unique settings, distinct from the main hub worlds?
I was kind of hoping the Dark Below would be like this--a new mini hub. Obviously not meant to be though.

Skele7on

Banned
I know without a doubt Destiny 2 will be one hell of a game. I am excited to see what they do with HoW and Comet, though.

I think from Comet we'll see big changes as they'd have had time ti properly plan.

I see HoW being good but I don't see it meeting expectations as even with the delay there isn't enough time to fully package it.

E92 M3

I think from Comet we'll see big changes as they'd have had time ti properly plan.

I see HoW being good but I don't see it meeting expectations as even with the delay there isn't enough time to fully package it.

HoW will be at least significantly better than TDB - I know that. Among those changes, we won't have anymore bone-headed decisions from Bungie, at least.

Not once in a while. It's just like playing the whole game in reverse once you hit the halfway point.

It's not exact, but it's almost like Level 1 is level 10. Level 2 is level 9, Level 3 is level 8, etc...

Ah, i honestly never felt that when playing other than the obvious actually going back through a level.

CLBridges

Iron Banner next week huh? Well, I guess that'll give me a chance to re-roll Radegast to make it worth using. Don't need any of the armor, but tempted to possibly get the sniper.

Looking to do normal Crota around 6.30PM GMT. Will do HM after and probably some Atheon checkpoints.

Add yourself to the list!

1. TearsOfBlood
2. EJRobinson

BokehKing

Banned
I'm so happy with xur today

Finally Red Death (never purchased the first time) plus that Titan helm I can wear in Crota hard mode to replenish health

Let's just say my interest has skyrocketed again.

Plus red death I can use for my hunter to replenish health

Though switching back and forth to the g-horn will be a major pain, sure I will lose ammo when switching from hunger of crota

Lnkn52

New loot cave? Go onnnnnnnnnnn...

Need some serious mats for Titan....

it's not new. It's on The Steppes inside a tower where you have dredg spawn near the stairs. Poor kid, I'm not leaving. He has already sent me 4 voice messages.

Update: This kid has patience, Ive been standing on the first floor where he can't see me and he's still waiting for the enemies to spawn. smh

Update #2: I've been called a man hore and a he-she in one sentence. That's a first.

Update #3: I have no friends because "You of a bitch you are"

vctor182

Iron Banner next week? sweet! I'm gonna be on vacation, hopefully the leg armor is on sale for my warlock, raid will give me everything but leg armor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom