• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT18| CA$H-4-CROTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullichin

I FOUND GJALLERHORN!!!!

I about gave up this week after 3 nightfalls and 8 raid runs netted me nothing but coins shards/energies, and ships. But i hopped on today and thought why not play a bit of crucible and get some bounties to level up some gear on my hunter. My last game i played the majestic Ghorn which elluded me for 350 hours is finally mine!!!!

*calmly rips out all of my fingernails*

border

Awesome!

Quoting for new page (Crota normal - hard - Atheon hard):

1. TearsOfBlood
2. EJRobinson
3. blazeuk
4. border199x

Want to do a fresh Crota Normal with my 31 Titan. I would like to bring him along for Crota Hard as well, but I can run it on one of my 32 characters if that's a problem.

GhaleonEB

Ah Ghaleon you can do it. :)

THe first part you just need a HUnter or two to survive. Don't Touch Me does the trick.

The bridge is not terrible either. Honestly we've gotten hung up more on the Abyss than anything. Send over a Titan with Flashbangs, blind Gatekeepers and every subsequent GK. If the last person (or two) to go over is a Warlock, if they die, they can always self-res and help out with Ogre duty.

DON'T RUSH THE HALLWAY. IF YOU DIE AFTER THE SCENE CHANGES YOU ARE OUT UNTIL CROTA. really sucky design unfortunately - get killed by purple explody ball? Can't fight Deathsinger! boooo

Deathsinger is the same, and Crota is the same. No chalice means use red death or Infusion helmet. WIth the guys/gals around here, hard mode is basically farm mode anymore.
Thanks for taking the time to detail that out. Thing is, you haven't described something that sounds at all fun to me. I've done VoG HM up to Templar, and while there was some satisfaction/bonding to come from the experience, I'm not sure I'd characterize it as fun. Just starting out with no revives means I think Bungie made HM hard for the wrong reasons. Things like pulling the Chalice alongside no revives in CE just reeks of bullshit to me, and I am totally not interested in going there.

It's like the difference between Legendary Halo 2 and Legendary Halo 3. The latter was hard for the right reasons, the former, not so much. HM raids remind me too much of why Halo 2 legendary was hard. Yes, I beat it once, but I can't say I had a good time doing so. I generally have a lot of fun from the normal raids, so I'll stay in that comfort zone for at least the foreseeable future. (Plus, RNGesus has been relentlessly awful to me, and so the lure of loot drops is not a draw; I don't get them.)

Oh normal? I just need first 2 parts on hard.

Team up with reaper and nomi, they're doing normal ds + crota

Cool, we're doing HM after, so if we still need people and you're still available, let's team up!

Want to do a fresh Crota Normal with my 31 Titan. I would like to bring him along for Crota Hard as well, but I can run it on one of my 32 characters if that's a problem.

A 31 is fine, I just sent you a party invite

Sullichin

Thanks for taking the time to detail that out. Thing is, you haven't described something that sounds at all fun to me. I've done VoG HM up to Templar, and while there was some satisfaction/bonding to come from the experience, I'm not sure I'd characterize it as fun. Just starting out with no revives means I think Bungie made HM hard for the wrong reasons. Things like pulling the Chalice alongside no revives in CE just reeks of bullshit to me, and I am totally not interested in going there.

It's like the difference between Legendary Halo 2 and Legendary Halo 3. The latter was hard for the right reasons, the former, not so much. HM raids remind me too much of why Halo 2 legendary was hard. Yes, I beat it once, but I can't say I had a good time doing so.

Normal Crota is so much more fun than HM. The timing is too tight for hard mode, that seems to depend too much on everyone having a good connection and enrage is an infuriating mechanic. No revives just means 90% of the time your group wipes if someone dies. It's just annoying. The raids have enough failure states that kill everyone anyway. Thankfully there are people here who are great at running the sword and if you don't encounter glitches the Crota HM kills can go fast. But I feel like I'm getting hard mode "out of the way" where I actually look forward and enjoy normal mode.

Eldon

Eldon you lucky guy, 2 exotics back to back!

Universal remote
Monte Carlo

Which are the exaclty same exotics I got this week one from the nightfall one from a purple engram. I now have three of them, one for each char :(((((

Thanks man as always

ocean

Banned

It's like the difference between Legendary Halo 2 and Legendary Halo 3. The latter was hard for the right reasons, the former, not so much. HM raids remind me too much of why Halo 2 legendary was hard. Yes, I beat it once, but I can't say I had a good time doing so. I generally have a lot of fun from the normal raids, so I'll stay in that comfort zone for at least the foreseeable future. (Plus, RNGesus has been relentlessly awful to me, and so the lure of loot drops is not a draw; I don't get them.)
Heroic Templar is the hardest encounter in the game to be fair. Heroic Crota's End is really the same as Normal. It's real easy except for the actual Crota fight where bugs and lag can make it an annoying affair.

The Pulse/Auto Rifles and rad mats are good reasons to at least run Abyss and Bridge on Heroic, don't miss out!

I FOUND GJALLERHORN!!!!

I about gave up this week after 3 nightfalls and 8 raid runs netted me nothing but coins shards/energies, and ships. But i hopped on today and thought why not play a bit of crucible and get some bounties to level up some gear on my hunter. My last game i played the majestic Ghorn which elluded me for 350 hours is finally mine!!!!

congrats!

the list of #hornless guardians is slowly diminishing

Gordon

It's weird, the whole health regen issue and needing to basically wipe every time somebody dies has actually kinda grown on me. I mean it's not like you're doing a whole lot of add clearing or anything so it would be pretty boring but working together to manage orbs and health has actually been a gratifying experience for me. I mean yeah I'm sure there are a million better ways to make hard mode hard, but this puts the onus on armour and planning, as opposed to having Gjallarhorn and shooting it. If you get to 32 and you have a means of regen-ing health that doesn't feel unnatural to you (I prefer Red Death over picking up orbs) it's really not that bad. It's also gratifying to have a role as the Titan beyond providing a bit of a damage buff. Bubbling to distract boomers and bubbling ogre door and retreat door to provide overshields and reduce boomers and thralls cleaning up low health players feels good.

while hard mode crota is hard for the wrong reasons its really not that bad. I have never been in a non-patient group for it. granted Ive only done it about 6 times. but that first was exilerating. took us (including Hawk) about 4 hours in total 2-2 hour sessions. but man what a feeling. the cominucation has to be top notch and your always grasteful for the guy who calls out gorgons when you forgot.

its not as fun as normal mode at its leiserly pace but it does have some merits. like you I would prefer to run normal for the fun. but sometimes you just need a nailbiting experience. like a really good action movie.

Though I'm still certainly jealous, the nice thing about seeing all these Gjallahorns drop is that the more horns there are in the wild the less important it is to have one!

lol true, last night doing a hm raid, efveryone in the party had one. no real reason to use one. but I did as a security blanket.

GutZ31

Raid with me some time. Two bad lucks cancel each other out.
You will be guaranteed at least 1 primary drop lol.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Hi folks, I haven't played destiny since probably sometime in October, but I just got a big new TV and might mess around tonight. I have one quick question, did the recent buff to pulse rifles actually make them worthwhile? I got a Bad Juju before I stopped playing, and it would be cool if it didn't suck.

just realized I have 230 posts in this thread. I might actually make the wall of shame this time.

lucky me.....

in other news. light of the abyss still eludes me. what it is with fusion rifles and me? I still dont have the VOG one either. only gun in either raid im missing

except the crux

Hi folks, I haven't played destiny since probably sometime in October, but I just got a big new TV and might mess around tonight. I have one quick question, did the recent buff to pulse rifles actually make them worthwhile? I got a Bad Juju before I stopped playing, and it would be cool if it didn't suck.

it doesnt suck anymore. as a matter of fact it is god like when paired with the warlock Obsidian Helm.

Deku Tree

Yes pulse rifles are amazing now.

Sullichin

Be sure to get Red Death from Xur too.

ethomaz

Banned
Right thread lol

I got 10-20 kills per Crucible match (depends of the mode... there are some I got 20-30 kills).

That will take so long to fullfill that 5000 kills with the class :(

GhaleonEB

Normal Crota is so much more fun than HM. The timing is too tight for hard mode, that seems to depend too much on everyone having a good connection and enrage is an infuriating mechanic. No revives just means 90% of the time your group wipes if someone dies. It's just annoying. The raids have enough failure states that kill everyone anyway. Thankfully there are people here who are great at running the sword and if you don't encounter glitches the Crota HM kills can go fast. But I feel like I'm getting hard mode "out of the way" where I actually look forward and enjoy normal mode.

Heroic Templar is the hardest encounter in the game to be fair. Heroic Crota's End is really the same as Normal. It's real easy except for the actual Crota fight where bugs and lag can make it an annoying affair.

The Pulse/Auto Rifles and rad mats are good reasons to at least run Abyss and Bridge on Heroic, don't miss out!

I was thinking of the no revives mechanic during last night's CE run. We had a pretty even mix of veterans, semi-familiar people and newbies to the raid. All in all, things went pretty well, with just a couple (non-intentional) wipes over the course of the run.

During the pit section, we decided to leave no man behind. I've done runs where the surviving team just plows onward, and through attrition a few guardians are left standing on rocks at the end and clear the section. It's doable, and a way clear the raid, but I really wanted to make sure everyone had the chance to play through every section. So, if someone got dropped or fell into a pit, we went back for them. 1-2 players went back for the revive, and we slogged through, our backs against one another, to catch up to the main group. The others would hold off on activating a lantern, staying in a tight group to beat back the waves of Thralls while we inched our battle bros back, before all shedding weight of darkness together and moving on as a group.

We cleared the pit section with no wipes (well, after getting the first chest), and with all six guardians standing at the end. It was up there with the most fun I've had in the game to date. This quickly cobbled together group, with a mix of experience, kept it together in the chaos and emerged as a whole team, recovering every setback along the way. It was so awesome.

HM would have played out through the triage method: if someone dropped, it was either a wipe or they got to watch while the rest cleared the section. Or, everyone gets through together and it's a great triumph of teamwork through adversity of a different sort. I have no doubt that's satisfying and fun to do, but I'm just wired to prefer the experience I had last night. I strongly prefer encounter scenarios where mistakes are not severely punished, but create situations from which we can recover with teamwork and grit. Pulling the team back from defeat to victory is to me, far more fun that having to thread the no-death needle that HM asks.

(We had similar recoveries on every subsequent section as well.)

LordofPwn

Right thread lol

I got 10-20 kills per Crucible match (depends of the mode... there are some I got 20-30 kills).

That will take so long to fulfill that 5000 kills with the class :(

You also get kills if you are near another teammate. also maybe assists count too. really doesn't take that long.

Mindlog

klRiq8x.jpg
Red Death is pretty good.
I tried every good pulse rifle I had. Red Death and Three Little Words were both similarly effective, but that Red Death perk is clutch. Stranger's Rifle was also effective. I haven't tried Bad Juju yet.
Thing is I tried Thorn again and it still seemed very strong. Will probably be sticking with that.
Most of all I just decided to become the stupid thing I hate.
Blink/Fellwinter
We cleared the pit section with no wipes (well, after getting the first chest), and with all six guardians standing at the end. It was up there with the most fun I've had in the game to date. This quickly cobbled together group, with a mix of experience, kept it together in the chaos and emerged as a whole team, recovering every setback along the way. It was so awesome.
Getting the first chest after clearing the pit is more relaxing. That way everyone gets to screw around and take a really good look at the map.

Just need everyone that's alive to line up at the exact point loot drops. Then you can go back and kills adds without more spawning. You can explore the empty level and check every door in one go.

I don't really consider Gjallarhorn a great use of your PvP exotic slot, for example

Not as good now since you can't take all the MG users heavy, but GH is still amazing for PvP, especially since you can use something else then switch to it only when you grab the heavy. WP rounds get way more multi kills than Truth or R-Fury, and it has a secret, unlisted "grenades and horseshoes" perk for proximity detonation in addition to the listed tracking perk. Truth's more aggressive tracking is only noticeable/useful on the big maps ala Bastion and Skyshock.

The RL vs MG PvP heavy debate definitely tipped in favor of MGs when they removed enemy kill ammo drops, but GH is the best RL for PvE and PvP.

Deku Tree

I was thinking of the no revives mechanic during last night's CE run. We had a pretty even mix of veterans, semi-familiar people and newbies to the raid. All in all, things went pretty well, with just a couple (non-intentional) wipes over the course of the run.

During the pit section, we decided to leave no man behind. I've done runs where the surviving team just plows onward, and through attrition a few guardians are left standing on rocks at the end and clear the section. It's doable, and a way clear the raid, but I really wanted to make sure everyone had the chance to play through every section. So, if someone got dropped or fell into a pit, we went back for them. 1-2 players went back for the revive, and we slogged through, our backs against one another, to catch up to the main group. The others would hold off on activating a lantern, staying in a tight group to beat back the waves of Thralls while we inched our battle bros back, before all shedding weight of darkness together and moving on as a group.

HM would have played out through the triage method: if someone dropped, it was either a wipe or they got to watch while the rest cleared the section. Or, everyone gets through together and it's a great triumph of teamwork through adversity of a different sort. I have no doubt that's satisfying and fun to do, but I'm just wired to prefer the experience I had last night. I strongly prefer encounter scenarios where mistakes are not severely punished, but create situations from which we can recover with teamwork and grit. Pulling the team back from defeat to victory is to me, far more fun that having to thread the no-death needle that HM asks.

(We had similar recoveries on every subsequent section as well.)

I agree with you and I have played a lot of HM VoG and CE. I have over 24 HM CE clears and over 48 HM VoG clears. TBH at level 32 playing with random GAFFERS who know what to do HM VoG is fairly easy now. But playing HM VoG as a level 29 felt extremely cheap and you had to wait a long time for RNG to let you get to 30 (#Forever29) if you were not one of the lucky ones. And playing HM CE at level 32 is like playing HM VoG as a 29.

Granted if you get in with a reasonable group and you have one of GAF's Uber-Samarui on your team then most of the time it is #TeamFirstTry with HM Crota these days... sometimes this is true even with n00bs if they do what you ask them to do.

But the mechanisms that they used to make HM CE hard (like no revives, being under-leveled, no chalice) still feel cheap. And I'm not a fan of the oversoul mechanic either. And the bugs can be infuriating.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Awwww Rasengan, see at this point, what you need to know about Hawkian...

He's the dude. Pretty decent with the sword, not too shabby at noob-training, salvageable explanations of weapons and armor and stuff... :) He's awesome. :)
dats rasengan? he's awesome too :D

ich00

Edit: Also, does anybody want to play? I'm level 23 atm but I'm very new to this game, would fun to play with some of you experienced guys.

Welcome! This is a great community. Send me a friend request, PSN is ichabod00. I'm on most nights after 9pm EST and would be more than happy to help out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom