• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT18| CA$H-4-CROTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deku Tree

Do you get two different rewards if you do normal and then hard mode gorgon chests? Or do they stack if you just do the hard mode chest?

They stack... but there is a very small chance that you can get two exotics by doing both, and it appears there is no chance to get two exotics if you only do HM.

They stack... but there is a very small chance that you can get two exotics by doing both, and it appears there is no chance to get two exotics if you only do HM.

Ah ok. So it's best to do them separately.

Next question - I've already gotten the hard mode chest. That means I'd get nothing from the normal chest now, right?

1AMQJHO.jpg

Destiny meets Snap Chat.

my favorite is the last one :)

Deku Tree

Ah ok. So it's best to do them separately.

I personally don't think it's worth the effort to do both. I try to just to HM myself.

Granted the only thing I am doing it for at this point is a chance at a third Horn or otherwise an exotic shard.

But even when I was looking for exotics I only did Hard.

I personally don't think it's worth the effort to do both. I try to just to HM myself.

Granted the only thing I am doing it for at this point is a chance at a third Horn or otherwise an exotic shard.

I haven't gotten the gorgon check point yet this week, so I was thinking I needed to try and find it when I got home. Then I realized I completed my exotic weapons collection this morning when Xur gave me Red Death. So weird to not be hoping for drops.

I'll probably try to get it for my less fortunate friends who aren't on GAF though, because I'm nice.

Good deal, thanks. Heard a lot of conflicting info on that so I appreciate the clarification.

Do you have the same (minuscule) chance of getting an exotic both times? Honestly I've never gotten anything worthwhile from the Gorgon chest. Meanwhile the Deathsinger has fed me several exotics.

coy

Is there any weapon that has a clip larger than 100?
I have a Prestige IV machine gun from New Monarchy that has 87 in the clip but 150 when I use Field Scout. Thankfully, it also dropped with Perfect Balance because it is not what you would call a stable weapon.

kamicowzi

Banned
Thank you very much, Renta :) Mir first ever exotic from a strike! Take that Xur!

An exotic from a strike...congrats! I have had this game since launch and I have not had a single exotic drop for me....damn you RNG. Funny thing, my fiancé and I ran a strike last weekend and I was giving her shit for still using a blue primary. We get to the reward screen...she gets a Mida Multitool. I swear RNG and Xur have it out for me as far as exotics go. She and I are going to try out the Nightfall tonight. Hopefully I get lucky....and if any fellow Gaffers would like to give us a hand, let me know!

Just starting out with no revives means I think Bungie made HM hard for the wrong reasons. Things like pulling the Chalice alongside no revives in CE just reeks of bullshit to me, and I am totally not interested in going there.

"No revives" is a tricky one for me: on one hand I like it because it teaches the single most valuable raiding skill: how to stay alive. How to use your characters abilities for movement/evasion and types of attacks (weapon/grenade/melee/supers) in combination with the level layouts to deal damage without taking too much damage before recovering. To understand the encounter designs, enemy spawn locations and AI behaviors for aggro, where their AI is leashed and what causes them to pull outside those areas. Most importantly: it encourages communication, which I love.

On the other hand, there's no question it makes a huge difference in a group's ability to clear encounters without cheesing. I'll use LFG for random NM VoG runs but would never consider it for any HM activity; the odds are too great that it'd turn into a mess. I'd bet even many long time DGaffers would have issues quickly clearing HM Oracles and Templar without leaving people up top
I <3 DGAF

One of the many reasons I love Atheon is that groups of all Lv30+ Gaffers can really struggle to clear HM. Having even one newer player who geared up in CE or an experienced player who forgets a detail can cause a wipe. Everyone needs to understand the encounter design and you can't hide newer/weaker players nearly as much as Crota. The difficulty is based on mechanical understanding and execution, not just level scaling. For me, no revives is ultimately an appropriate "hard mode is hard" design.

HM CE on the other hand throws that out the window by making every enemy above the current player level cap. You'd be surprised how little no chalice and no revives matters for HM Crota. There are easy ways to regen health without chalice, especially with the copious down time during the encounter (between swords). And the encounter is so simple that only 2-3 people absolutely have to be alive to finish it. Putting every player at a guaranteed 32% penalty is the epitome of BS "hard" design.

Wait until they raise the level cap and then maybe give HM CE a shot, but I'd still recommend trying to finish HM VoG sometime. Just be sure to find a group that wants to play it for fun, not people trying to clear weekly loot drops. From what you've posted about wanting to clear all enemy encounters during Strikes, you might really enjoy it with a group that's all on the same page and not rushing everything.

Gala

An exotic from a strike...congrats! I have had this game since launch and I have not had a single exotic drop for me....damn you RNG. Funny thing, my fiancé and I ran a strike last weekend and I was giving her shit for still using a blue primary. We get to the reward screen...she gets a Mida Multitool. I swear RNG and Xur have it out for me as far as exotics go. She and I are going to try out the Nightfall tonight. Hopefully I get lucky....and if any fellow Gaffers would like to give us a hand, let me know!

To be fair it was the nightfall, but I'm really happy to see that there are exotics drops and I don't need to go to Xur to buy them all. :D

Frostburn

I am down for either one. Plus can run the sword as well.

Cool, I'll be running it on my Titan

Hard Mode Crota's End full fun run

1. US-Frostburn
2. iRawr (Swording)
3. Tick221
4. ShikiAoi
5. ethomaz
6. Skele7on

Start when we have 6 good badasses

Edit: About to send out invites!

kamicowzi

Banned
To be fair it was the nightfall, but I'm really happy to see that there are exotics drops and I don't need to go to Xur to buy them all. :D

That's still pretty cool. Mida Multitool dropped from a ROC strike. Hopefully, my luck with exotics changes tonight lol.

what would you consider to be each classes signature exotic primary weopon?

warlock- Thorn
hunter- mida multi-tool
Titan- suros regime

what say you?

Damm, the red death its like the Hawkmoon of pulse rifles

1. US-Frostburn
2. iRawr (Swording)

I want to run HM crota too, ShikiAoi

what would you consider to be each classes signature exotic primary weopon?

warlock- Thorn
hunter- mida multi-tool
Titan- suros regime

what say you?

Warlock - Bad Juju
Hunter - MIDAs Multitool/Last Word
Titan - Universal Remote

Anilusion

I just hit level 24, anybody want to do heroic strike? I am playing on ps4 and my PSN is Anilusion. I'm in europe if that matters.

Ps. I'm totally new to this game

Skele7on

Banned

1. US-Frostburn
2. iRawr (Swording)
3. Tick221
4. ShikiAoi
5. ethomaz

Edit: One more and we are good to go! About to hop on and start sending out invites!

32 hunter if you need one?!

ocean

Banned
I was thinking of the no revives mechanic during last night's CE run. We had a pretty even mix of veterans, semi-familiar people and newbies to the raid. All in all, things went pretty well, with just a couple (non-intentional) wipes over the course of the run.

During the pit section, we decided to leave no man behind. I've done runs where the surviving team just plows onward, and through attrition a few guardians are left standing on rocks at the end and clear the section. It's doable, and a way clear the raid, but I really wanted to make sure everyone had the chance to play through every section. So, if someone got dropped or fell into a pit, we went back for them. 1-2 players went back for the revive, and we slogged through, our backs against one another, to catch up to the main group. The others would hold off on activating a lantern, staying in a tight group to beat back the waves of Thralls while we inched our battle bro's back, before all shedding weight of darkness together and moving on as a group.

We cleared the pit section with no wipes (well, after getting the first chest), and with all six guardians standing at the end. It was up there with the most fun I've had in the game to date. This quickly cobbled together group, with a mix of experience, kept it together in the chaos and emerged as a whole team, recovering every setback along the way. It was so awesome.

HM would have played out through the triage method: if someone dropped, it was either a wipe or they got to watch while the rest cleared the section. Or, everyone gets through together and it's a great triumph of teamwork through adversity of a different sort. I have no doubt that's satisfying and fun to do, but I'm just wired to prefer the experience I had last night. I strongly prefer situations where mistakes are not severely punished, but create situations from which we can recover with teamwork and grit.
That's a perfectly reasonable argument to prefer Normal runs. It's definitely true that many Heroic Abyss runs end up being that invisible Hunter or Bubble Titan tanking out the end section by themselves if people slowly die on their way there. I've been left as a spectator during some sections and it definitely isn't as fun as a no man left behind run.

Bradach

The thorn bounty. I just finished the summoning pits and now the bounty says to kill 500 hive.
After the strike I dismantled all the blue stuff as usual. Did I inadvertently dismantle a gun I need to finish the bounty?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom