• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT18| CA$H-4-CROTA

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a thread on reddit where people came back and necro-bumped funny responses to skipping the Gjallarhorn lol. Honestly, I don't think Bungie knew how good the weapon was.

Lol, yeah, I remember the same kind of thing here.

Many will deny it, but we have discussed it before how lots of people balked at a Heavy Exotic, it was all about a Primary.

I bought the lucky raspberry chest to get to 30 faster. I only used it for a few days before getting the lava helmet.

God, back in the days when we had the loot cave...and even though rahool was a trolling prick, he would come through with some great shit every now and then. More often than now at least.

ocean

Banned
Oh god, can you post the link. I'm on mobile

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=894593&page=359

What's crazy is people are hung up about what armor is being sold and nobody gives a ahit about the horn :p they're like oh man Inmost Light yay!!! And it was one or the other. I doubt anyone had enough coins to get armor AND the horn so all those people you see buying their Sunbreakers or Inmost Lights? They passed on Horn :p

Look at this old fellow thinking about it (he ended up buying of course):

Hawkian
The Cryptarch's Bane
09-19-2014, 10:25 AM, Post #17909
Wait, Gjallarhorn is only 17 and not 23?

That's, oh. interesting. need to update stuff.

Might buy it. Heavy Weapons cut down on boss kill times...

E92 M3

Lol, yeah, I remember the same kind of thing here.

Many will deny it, but we have discussed it before how lots of people balked at a Heavy Exotic, it was all about a Primary.

I bought the lucky raspberry chest to get to 30 faster. I only used it for a few days before getting the lava helmet.

God, back in the days when we had the loot cave...and even though rahool was a trolling prick, he would come through with some great shit every now and then. More often than now at least.

My first exotic from an engram (and ever) was the Gjallarhorn :D. After Bungie made him more "fair" I never got another exotic again. In fact, I haven't seen a legendary engram in the wild for nearly 2 months.

And then turned the new exotics pretty passive after that

Yep, the PVP crybabies had their way with the Vex and it went downhill from their.

Truth is the best PvP rocket launcher by far. Not even Ballerhorn can compete with it in PvP /snip/ The less aggressive tracking, lower blast radius and no proximity detonation means it can be evaded if the player is fast.

PSA: GHorn has proximity detonation. It's just a secret, stealth perk that's not actually listed. As if Ballerhorn needed a reason to be more baller.

WP rounds more than offset any difference in blast radius damage and tracking only matters for the big maps (that I personally hate). I've never seen someone out run my Horn but I'd send them a basket of wine and roses if they did, haha.

Truth is best for PVP, especially on big maps. It's useless in PvE if you have Gjally.

Truth is only PvP-best on those big maps. And you're the only one that likes to play those anyway, lol.

I just don't do this or really like the idea of it, I guess... if you're going to use an Exotic heavy via this method, shouldn't it be Thunderlord anyway? Even before the ammo change...

I actually am not sure I'll ever find a heavy I like more all factors considered than Corrective Measure in the Crucible. the Deviant Gravity with field scout I got recently is definitely working its way into second place

Before the change, you could get 4-8+ bonus Horns from kills and run it as your primary until the next heavy spawn. Especially in Control, you could lock down areas and use WP rounds and proximity detonation to avoid risking your own neck too much. I was responding to your post about GH in PvP so my post was mainly about that. I also said MG > RL in PvP since the ammo change, but there's still a strong case to be made for RLs. My main point was that GH is the best PvP RL; it's only downside of taking your exotic spot can be easily mitigated with a little planning and teamwork.

I'm not sure what you mean by not liking the idea of switching from an exotic primary to an exotic heavy. It takes 5 seconds and works like a charm as long as the heavy spawn is controlled. Besides I usually need to wait a few seconds for teammates to arrive so it's perfect timing to switch. Keep in mind my PvP opinions are always based on playing with a team. I can't stomach rando matches largely because you can't use team-based strats like these.

As for PvP MG rankings: TLord > Jolders Hammer/Against All Odds w Field Scout > CMeasure. JH and AAO are 3HK with 76 rounds per heavy drop. All of these can use the great trick of "field scout to pick up heavy then switch to another perk." Any MG will work well considering how OP heavy is for Crucible.

Also: I would totally use TLord as my exotic heavy... if I had one. ;_;

blazeuk

I remember when the Jelly showed and thinking that I wasn't wasting my coins on a heavy lol. I was lost as hell back then as well, I stumbled across OT3 and it was like seeing the light.

Yep I skipped on it too because I had no real interest in having a heavy as my exotic weapon when I had got the Suros Regime in an engram in the first week. Terrible decision on my part given how long it's taken me to finally get it and how it turned into the most valuable exotic to have.

Talking about the Gjallarhorn, I was using the chrome extension before for transferring my maxed out one to another character and I thought it had completely vanished on me and that I'd lost it, somehow it ended up on another character (probably something to do with me switching characters and not refreshing the chrome tab i guess?). Luckily it was only a brief scare and if it was worst case I actually have 4 of them now and would have just meant maxing the others faster.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=894593&page=359

What's crazy is people are hung up about what armor is being sold and nobody gives a ahit about the horn :p they're like oh man Inmost Light yay!!! And it was one or the other. I doubt anyone had enough coins to get armor AND the horn so all those people you see buying their Sunbreakers or Inmost Lights? They passed on Horn :p

Look at this old fellow thinking about it (he ended up buying of course):

Hawkian
The Cryptarch's Bane
09-19-2014, 10:25 AM, Post #17909
Wait, Gjallarhorn is only 17 and not 23?

That's, oh. interesting. need to update stuff.

Might buy it. Heavy Weapons cut down on boss kill times...

Was still using the loot cave then. I probably still had all blue armor then. It's hard to remember but in sure I got the helm that day :(

One again, thanks hawk for showing us the right way.

ocean

Banned
Oh man.

blackflag
09-19-2014, 11:01 AM, Post #18023
Originally Posted by Spineker
Fuuuuuck! I have to choose between the helmet and the rocket launcher!
The choice seems easy. Since you can only have 1 exotic weapon equipped wouldn't you prefer a primary?

Lima

Gjallarhorn is also the best PvP rocket simply because it is the only rocket that will kill a blade dancer in one shot.

GJDwsJW.gif

Last nights raid inspired me to make this. Damn RNG.

I contemplated switching out the weapon for each loop but the size would just be way too big.

Lol that's awesome and needs to be at the top of every new OT.

Gjallarhorn is also the best PvP rocket simply because it is the only rocket that will kill a blade dancer in one shot.

Good point. Sometimes those sneaky bastards can get away from the WPs but you need 400 total damage given their 2x defense buff and only GH can get that high per rocket.

Deku Tree

I used to raid weekly with MADGAME. Good guy. I believe he is still hornless.

MADGAME
09-19-2014, 02:18 PM, Post #20025
Think I'll hold onto my coins this week and just purchase one Exotic Engram and try my luck.

Oh man.

blackflag
The choice seems easy. Since you can only have 1 exotic weapon equipped wouldn't you prefer a primary?

Going back to that thread makes me realize how many have moved on from the game. Looking at it more though shows how many we have gained.

What every happened to computermk?
Toasty didn't play anymore either

And alot of folks I just plain dont remember

Oh man.

blackflag

Holy shit. Poor poor Casmith. Dude's been part of my reset raid group for months and still doesn't have a Horn. He has the worst luck of anyone I know. No Horn, still doesn't have FBringer, never got the VoG gear for Lv30. Pretty sure he had to grind IB on every character only for the vendor gear to make it worthless a week later.

He didn't show up for raids this week and haven't heard from him yet so hopefully his bad luck hasn't gotten him too Destiny-depressed. Keep your head up Smith, we want you on the team! Your lack of Horn made you the most elite Boomer-duty sniper when NM CE launched! :)

Gordon

Ice Breaker was sold on week 5. It was Red Death, Gjallarhorn, Suros Regime, Red Death, Ice Breaker. Bungie started off generous :p
I think they did it intentionally to build hype because they knew that the players who get the most exposure are the ones who would be in a position to start buying them that quickly, and then stepped it down for the majority to keep the game from burning out too fast.
I can't exactly say I disagree with the practice as it is good for the franchise, but they could have at least thrown us a gjally for xmas. I am still lacking Gjallarhorn and the Suros :/ poor timing on coin expenditures, and I only had one character up until pretty recently.

I actually kinda hope he runs Truth again soon - I still haven't picked one up. Always ended up being a few coins short or opting for armour.

What is it that brings you back to the CE raid if it isn't the mechanics? Is it the players?

Yeah, the players. The DGAF community means a lot to me, even if it is "just a game." :)

It's still fun or at least satisfying to beat for lots of people so I enjoy providing a service, so to speak.

Going back to that thread makes me realize how many have moved on from the game. Looking at it more though shows how many we have gained.

Too bad Toasty apparently quit. I had so many more episodes of "Toasty Fails/Wins" pictures and gifs in my collection...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm not sure what you mean by not liking the idea of switching from an exotic primary to an exotic heavy. It takes 5 seconds and works like a charm as long as the heavy spawn is controlled
don't like the concept, I guess I think you should have to commit to an exotic for the duration of a match .

ocean

Banned
don't like the concept, I guess I think you should have to commit to an exotic for the duration of a match .
Out of principle or convenience? I think it's a little annoying to switch out my Thorn when heavy drops but I'd definitely do it if I had a Thunderlord. Occasionally switch out to Horn/Truth though.

Iron Banner is next week apparently. Good timing to have just before Bloodborne.

Crota has one last chance to get me the drops I need or I'm giving him the middle finger, grinding out IB gear, and then possibly putting the game on ice until HoW or at least for several weeks.

Deku Tree

Iron Banner is next week apparently. Good timing to have just before Bloodborne.

Crota has one last chance to get me the drops I need or I'm giving him the middle finger, grinding out IB gear, and then possibly putting the game on ice until HoW or at least for several weeks.

What do you need?

I meant out of principle/design, though I am personally too lazy to do it in the middle of a match anyway

I think the spirit of the design is to commit to one, although I would love an optional PvE mode to gear up in all Exotics for fun. Could be for zero rewards, but it would be a fun thing to experiment with.

OT3 was getting 100 posts in 20 minutes at some points.

I need to figure out what OT I started actually posting. I browsed all the early ones but never posted because they were too insanely fast to keep up with...

I remember being really sad I skipped the Suros when I heard how good it was in Crucible, and ARs were so good it wrecked faces on VoG runs. I also remember skipping IceB because I loved the stability on my shiny new P&T, and I didn't know how much Impact affected the actual weapon damage. I thought it just made enemies stagger or something stupid.

This is not up to my usual page top standards. Damnit. Away from home so I can't post pics from my PS4. Maybe my dummy Twitter account has something decent saved...

Edit2: bah I'm a mobile/Twitter scrub. Don't even know how to post the picture instead of some stupid Twit link. Kids today and their techno-gadgets.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
if the menu loaded faster it'd be more tolerable

i hate it where theres that delay while its loading your weapons or equipment
I don't like doing anything except going about my killin' business once I get started. if I feel like changing builds I typically do it in the orbit transition, but eeevery once in a while at the beginning of the match. I'll never really enter it again after that point, even if I have don't something stupid/other than what I wanted to by accident I'll try to commit to my mistake lol
I think the spirit of the design is to commit to one, although I would love an optional PvE mode to gear up in all Exotics for fun. Could be for zero rewards, but it would be a fun thing to experiment with.
Yeah, the spirit of the design is what I mean. An "everything is possible" horde-type mode with infinite supers/grenades/melee, equip as many exotics as you want, etc. with a leaderboard would be a fun distraction.

Daemul

Too many people were focused on gaming the system and getting stacks of strange coins thorough the exchange with Xur than buying the Ghorn the weekend it was out lol

Here's my post from the day Xur was selling the Ghorn

Daemul
(09-19-2014, 09:27 AM)

I can't believe it, he's actually selling the Helm of Inmost Light, the one Exotic Titan armour piece I wanted him to sell this weekend. The RNG God's are smiling on me today!

I bought the Helm over Ghorn that day, but thankfully RNGesus showed mercy and granted me the Ghorn soon after lol

I recently had a look at the Destiny pre hype threads, and pretty much everyone who took part in those is gone, it was really sad to see. Many of those people had defended Destiny pre-release when more and more rumours about it's lack of story and lack of content started coming out, so they were let down the hardest when everything turned out to be true.

So many heel turns took place in the aftermath of Destiny's release, the most memorable of them being Karl Hawks. I have never seen someone go from outright shilling a game to despising it so quickly.

OT3 was getting 100 posts in 20 minutes at some points.

It was crazy back then, we were burning through threads.

I recently had a look at the Destiny pre hype threads, and pretty much everyone who took part in those is gone, it was really sad to see. Many of those people had defended Destiny pre-release when more and more rumours about it's lack of story and lack of content started coming out, so they were let down the hardest when everything turned out to be true.

So many heel turns took place in the aftermath of Destiny's release, the most memorable of them being Karl Hawks. I have never seen someone go from outright shilling a game to despising it so quickly.

It was crazy back then, we were burning through threads.

Makes you wonder how well Comet or Destiny 2 will do. A lot of burned out folks. The game will do well, but there may not be growth.

I need to figure out what OT I started actually posting. I browsed all the early ones but never posted because they were too insanely fast to keep up with...

I remember being really sad I skipped the Suros when I heard how good it was in Crucible, and ARs were so good it wrecked faces on VoG runs. I also remember skipping IceB because I loved the stability on my shiny new P&T, and I didn't know how much Impact affected the actual weapon damage. I thought it just made enemies stagger or something stupid.

This is not up to my usual page top standards. Damnit. Away from home so I can't post pics from my PS4. Maybe my dummy Twitter account has something decent saved...

Edit2: bah I'm a mobile/Twitter scrub. Don't even know how to post the picture instead of some stupid Twit link. Kids today and their techno-gadgets.

The suros was the shit when I first started doing VOG. It was the weapon of choice until VoC dropped and the suros was nerfed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom