• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT19| Raiders of the Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone having issues with the Destiny Companion App this morning? I am getting time out errors every time I attempt to move weapons in & out of the Vault. Rebooting my iPhone now.

Cheers

E92 M3

So much this, a lot of lackluster weapons still out there :/

It's like they stubbornly refuse to understand that weak weapons are boring and no one wants to use them. All they have to do is look at how much the shotgun buff helped reorganize the basic loadouts. They are now a suitable weapon for combat. Make all weapons suitable; I've been saying it for months now. I know nothing will change (they even said Necro is working as intended), but keep hoping anyway.

I prefer it to Omnigul. Greatly.
At least with arc Phogoth the "difficult" and tedious part is right at the beginning. Once you've cleared that room, it's an easy sprint straight to the boss, and you can easily cheese him while taking no risk at all.
i'm with you, Shito.

Omni

Okay, I lied. I'm doing this Thorn bounty and then I'm more or less done with the game.

god damn this void kills bit is infuriating. If I didn't have Jolder's Hammer I'd never ever do this

ocean

Banned
How many strange coins is "enough"?
I have 334.
I'd say 4 weeks' worth of Primary+3 Armor purchases.

250 Coins can guarantee you'll be able to buy whatever he sells for a full month, assuming everything he brings is attractive to you.

Since we already have nearly everythinng though having even 50 Coins is enough.

vctor182

Joined a friend's nightfall run and they had phogoth at half health. I got The Last Word, he got TFWPKY and his friend nothing. Felt bad sharding it.

Bungie should buff a lot of weapons to get attention from people. Reinvigorate the game.
What would you want buffed? I'd honestly be more attentive to an invigoration of the vendors with damage type and stat re-rolls like some were talking about yesterday. As a non-PvP player, I'm pretty happy with weapons as they are, but Crucible might change my mind.

How many strange coins is "enough"?
I have 334.
Damn, I've been hovering around 100 and thought I was sitting pretty.

E92 M3

What would you want buffed? I'd honestly be more attentive to an invigoration of the vendors with damage type and stat re-rolls like some were talking about yesterday. As a non-PvP player, I'm pretty happy with weapons as they are, but Crucible might change my mind.

Damn, I've been hovering around 100 and thought I was sitting pretty.

Necrochasm, get assault rifles back, bring back the Mythoclast to its former glory, tons of exotics need to be buffed (Hardlight, NLB, etc) - basically make all weapons useful.

Shito

What would you want buffed?
Exotics, mainly, for me.
Would be nice to give back to auto rifles and fusion rifles some way to shine in PVE as well.
But mostly, the vast majority of the exotic weapons that are just crap, to the exception of a few ones that really outshine their legendary counterparts, and are worth using a slot for them.

[EDIT] Yeah, I basically agree with E92 M3's answer. :)

Homeboyd

They've shown they can buff pvp and pve separately... just buff the weak guns in pve and leave them alone for pvp. I understand not wanting one gun or one loadout to be the default choice because they're so powerful, but on the other side of the coin, you have a bunch of weapons no one wants to touch and as a result, you get people who only stick with one loadout. We look at it as "This loadout is all I want to use because all the other guns are terrible" and they look at it as "They're only using this one loadout because those guns are too powerful! Nerf them! That'll balance everything out!"

Necrochasm, get assault rifles back, bring back the Mythoclast to its former glory, tons of exotics need to be buffed (Hardlight, NLB, etc) - basically make all weapons useful.

Exotics, mainly, for me.
Would be nice to give back to auto rifles and fusion rifles some way to shine in PVE as well.
But mostly, the vast majority of the exotic weapons that are just crap, to the exception of a few ones that really outshine their legendary counterparts, and are worth using a slot for them.

[EDIT] Yeah, I basically agree with E92 M3's answer. :)
Right, exotics. I've had Hard Light in the vault for some time now, never bothered to use it much. I've got several great exotics that I haven't found the time to level up (Vex, Hawkmoon, TLW, Red Death, Suros, etc.), so I haven't even thought about the ones I haven't bothered to use much.

Silav101

They've shown they can buff pvp and pve separately... just buff the weak guns in pve and leave them alone for pvp. I understand not wanting one gun or one loadout to be the default choice because they're so powerful, but on the other side of the coin, you have a bunch of weapons no one wants to touch and as a result, you get people who only stick with one loadout. We look at it as "This loadout is all I want to use because all the other guns are terrible" and they look at it as "They're only using this one loadout because those guns are too powerful! Nerf them! That'll balance everything out!"

Not really. On a codebase level, the most obvious method is to add a damage multiplier that triggers depending on the enemy type (or damage type, for burns or Lightswitch i would posit). This does nothing to address balance regarding range, accuracy, recoil, etc. Those probably cannot be easily abstracted, since pvp and pve use the same values.

so... throwback anybody?

waaaaaay back
SG6Kcp5.jpg

IRON BETA
HUmaq9e.jpg

popping that exotic cherry
YCflXxI.jpg

if only we knew....
5oMTmqE.jpg

RIP templar cheese
oHkFIOt.jpg

HAWKMOON (too bad i didn't like it)
QoktlCv.jpg

look at that scrubby guardian
QaCwpxl.jpg

hot tub time's vengeance
T7jPEWm.jpg

And of course...
9fEQosJ.jpg

x2EsQiL.jpg

You had to be there...

Homeboyd

Not really. On a codebase level, the most obvious method is to add a damage multiplier that triggers depending on the enemy type (or damage type, for burns or Lightswitch i would posit). This does nothing to address balance regarding range, accuracy, recoil, etc. Those probably cannot be easily abstracted, since pvp and pve use the same values.
Right but balance for what? PvP or PvE?

As you said, damage multiplier applied to PvE enemies is possible (and they've done this)... so why wouldn't they continue doing this to "balance" the rest of the weapons for PvE? Mythoclast was way too strong in PvP, so they nerfed it across the board. Seems like adding back a multiplier for PvE enemies would suffice. Leave it alone in PvP.

WipedOut

Basically this.

I never really stray from this loadout

Scout / Hand Cannon
Sniper / Shotgun
Gjallarhorn.

Never really stray from that unless it's arc omnigul and using oversoul edict for the knights.

noomi

Zoba, those are some fantastic screen shots! Well done, I have probably over 8GB of destiny related shots/videos saved on my backup :p

Silav101

Right but balance for what? PvP or PvE?

As you said, damage multiplier applied to PvE enemies is possible (and they've done this)... so why wouldn't they continue doing this to "balance" the rest of the weapons for PvE? Mythoclast was way too strong in PvP, so they nerfed it across the board. Seems like adding back a multiplier for PvE enemies would suffice. Leave it alone in PvP.
Sure, but balancing damage only is a.very slapdash method. Shotguns just got a damage buff because they are high-risk/high-reward.

Let us say necrochasm gets a 30 percent damage increase for pve, that makes it instantly better than literally anything in its effective type, barring ultra-long range encounters. Net result, broken weapon, more people bitching and moaning.

Basically, damage boosts only are not always a great idea, and tying damage to impact was a wonky as fuck design decision imho.

This is exactly what's happened already, so I don't see why Bungie wouldn't be moving to remedy the clusterfuck they've created. There's no reason to tiptoe around balancing weapons when the vast majority of players run a shotgun, and one in particular. In IB, I would honestly place the estimate of FW users at over 80%. But we can't get balancing because of pvp concerns? What's the worst that would happen, players might actually use a primary?

E92 M3

so... throwback anybody?

waaaaaay back
SG6Kcp5.jpg

IRON BETA
HUmaq9e.jpg

popping that exotic cherry
YCflXxI.jpg

if only we knew....
5oMTmqE.jpg

first hard vault loot (too bad i didnt like hawkmoon)
QoktlCv.jpg

look at that scrubby guardian
QaCwpxl.jpg

hot tub time's vengeance
T7jPEWm.jpg

And of course...
9fEQosJ.jpg

x2EsQiL.jpg

You had to be there...

Nice trip down memory lane. I still miss the social aspect of the loot cave. Sometimes I would go to eat and stand there while people shot things inside the cave lol.

--

In terms of buffs: They could get rid of that stupid Cascade perk and change it with something unique like a permanent Arc Burn when shooting Hive. Boom - no PVP changes, but a great change for PVE.

Silav101

In terms of buffs: They could get rid of that stupid Cascade perk and change it with something unique like a permanent Arc Burn when shooting Hive. Boom - no PVP changes, but a great change for PVE.
This. Dont give damage increases, those are boring. Give unique effects that justify an exotic slot; make buildchangers, such as obsidian mind+bad juju.

*HM Crota Swordbearing Tips*

Thanks Reign, that's very helpful. I'm still inexperienced in HM swordbearing so there's still a tiny bit of panic every time I see the sword icon appear which causes me to rush and take unnecessary risks. I'm going to start always running NM from the center so the process becomes more second nature.

Homeboyd

Sure, but balancing damage only is a.very slapdash method. Shotguns just got a damage buff because they are high-risk/high-reward.

Let us say necrochasm gets a 30 percent damage increase for pve, that makes it instantly better than literally anything in its effective type, barring ultra-long range encounters. Net result, broken weapon, more people bitching and moaning.

Basically, damage boosts only are not always a great idea, and tying damage to impact was a wonky as fuck design decision imho.
Right but you'd agree some thought went into balancing the damage vs reload vs range etc for each gun before it made it into the game correct? When most people are describing a gun as weak and in need of a buff, it's due to damage. Yes guns like NLB are a complete disaster and need to be reworked from the ground up, but I'm talking about pea-shooter guns like the hard light, nechrocasm, AR's in general (now), whose damage has been nerfed into the ground.

If 30% is too much, then 20%? I mean, I don't see why you have to go up the damage so much that it becomes the only weapon anyone wants to use and then say "well it's too powerful now, scrap the whole project." And again, right now, tons of people just use fatebringer due to the exact situation you described above. "It's instantly better than literally anything in its effective type, barring ultra-long range encounters." My point is, these guns you're describing as "broken" is because they're better than 95% of the others exist right now. Instead of nerfing fatebringer and gjallarhorn damage output to bring them down to the same level as the rest of the pack, why not look at adding back some damage multipliers to the "weaker" guns for PvE?

I certainly see your point that for guns like NLB, where one of the big issues is reload speed.. if you buff that in PvE, you're buffing it in PvP and now you have a "powerful" weapon as a primary in PvP with a quicker reload speed because you wanted more people to use it in PvE. I'm really only discussing the weak damage output guns and why these should be addressed in PvE (and how). There's just too many guns that are way too weak in terms of damage out there that I will never replace my fatebringer, fang or a couple others for any somewhat difficult content. Nechrocasm is a fun gun to use, but I have to imagine they thought it would be something better than a patrol-only novelty weapon considering it is one of the most difficult guns to obtain in the game.

Edit: I would also agree with the perk change comments. Some exotics have the most boring perks that, coupled with their other weaknesses, make them a hard pass every time. Definitely could use some work on those upgrades as well and is an interesting concept in terms of "buffing" weapons.

Silav101

Right but you'd agree some thought went into balancing the damage vs reload vs range etc for each gun before it made it into the game correct? When most people are describing a gun as weak and in need of a buff, it's due to damage. Yes guns like NLB are a complete disaster and need to be reworked from the ground up, but I'm talking about pea-shooter guns like the hard light, nechrocasm, AR's in general (now), whose damage has been nerfed into the ground.

If 30% is too much, then 20%? I mean, I don't see why you have to go up the damage so much that it becomes the only weapon anyone wants to use and then say "well it's too powerful now, scrap the whole project." And again, right now, tons of people just use fatebringer due to the exact situation you described above. "It's instantly better than literally anything in its effective type, barring ultra-long range encounters." My point is, these guns you're describing as "broken" is because they're better than 95% of the others exist right now. Instead of nerfing fatebringer and gjallarhorn damage output to bring them down to the same level as the rest of the pack, why not look at adding back some damage multipliers to the "weaker" guns for PvE?

I certainly see your point that for guns like NLB, where one of the big issues is reload speed, if you buff that in PvE, you're buffing it in PvP and now you have a "powerful" weapon as a primary in PvP with a quicker reload speed because you wanted more people to use it in PvE. I'm really only discussing the weak damage output guns and why these should be addressed in PvE (and how). There's just too many guns that are way too weak in terms of damage out there that I will never replace my fatebringer, fang or a couple others for any somewhat difficult content. Nechrocasm is a fun gun to use, but I have to imagine they thought it would be something better than a patrol-only novelty weapon considering it is one of the most difficult guns to obtain in the game.
Ah, but see the points you have made - fatebringer and gjallarhorn are spectacular because thwy have wonderfully working perks that justify their use of a slot.

Unfortunately, not every weapon can or is a gamechanger, but every weapon should be worth using until you get that one that can change your playstyle, or expand upon it.

A blanket damage increase would not make sense for most weapons (nlb for instance should have white nail instead of black hammer, and a reload speed increasing perk) but would make it so that the generic stuff is at least usable, i do agree woth you there. :)

Shito

Ah, but see the points you have made - fatebringer and gjallarhorn are spectacular because thwy have wonderfully working perks that justify their use of a slot.

Unfortunately, not every weapon can or is a gamechanger, but every weapon should be worth using until you get that one that can change your playstyle, or expand upon it.

A blanket damage increase would not make sense for most weapons (nlb for instance should have white nail instead of black hammer, and a reload speed increasing perk) but would make it so that the generic stuff is at least usable, i do agree woth you there. :)
Black Hammer is a wonderful and exciting weapon, that should totally have been an exotic.
I'm happy as fuck I can use it alongside the horn or another fun exotic, mind you, but it's crazy they kept such a cool perk / concept out of the exotics pool.

Silav101

Black Hammer is a wonderful and exciting weapon, that should totally have been an exotic.
I'm happy as fuck I can use it alongside the horn or another fun exotic, mind you, but it's crazy they kept such a cool perk / concept out of the exotics pool.
Absolutely, but if NLB had White Nail and a perk that increases reload speed when you do damage? I would use.that as a primary.

Homeboyd

Yes and they also do significant damage. Nechrocasm's perk would be a lot closer to "wonderfully working" if it didn't take 3000 shots to kill a dreg to get it to proc.

Shito

I'm still amazed at Bungie openly stating that Nechrochasm is working "as intended".
I don't think they quite realize that by saying that they either pass as totally incompetent and stupid designers, or just plain trolls.

E92 M3

Black Hammer is among one of the best raid weapons out there - definitely my favorite sniper in the game. Very happy it's not an exotic.

And Bungie are sometimes delusional about how their game is being played.

Yes and they also do significant damage. Nechrocasm's perk would be a lot closer to "wonderfully working" if it didn't take 3000 shots to kill a dreg to get it to proc.

Yes, change it from 80% proc rate to 100%. No reason it should be 80%. Also, increase the blast radius.

Dang, I wish I had more screenshots from early Destiny days...had heaps of videos but deleted them to make space.

Found some screens though:

Beta:

DGAF always dominating crucible :)
ueXc7IQ.jpg

First VoG run

Tapping dat Cabal

No lack of glitches in the Vault

Flawless team (Yep, VoG flawless after the random teleport patch AKA THE TRUE FLAWLESS)

When Nightfall rewards actually meant something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom