• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT21| Our House, in the Middle of the Reef

Status
Not open for further replies.
i disagree that it's pointless to do anything in a game except for a specific reward, or any reward for that matter. I also disagree that it will make or break the DLC, in fact the notion seems to me to be pretty ridiculous. The entire reward structure of the game is rather different now, and frankly I've been inundated with more useful gear over the last 36 hours than I know what to do with, without even having touched PoE yet. Finally I disagree that it's too important for a drive-by, it's a simple but pretty ancient philosophical distinction on as to what motivates action in a game, and I'm never going to convince anyone that doesn't already agree to see things my way. No doubt people are going to be upset about the rewards- and while I think it's a little premature before we see how things really shake out a routine basis- that's perfectly reasonable and fine by me; if it ruins the experience of the DLC for you, while that may seem particularly extreme to me, so be it.

I don't know what exactly it is you're suggesting I called "a good thing." 4 hours per key would be one thing, but we're talking a random roll every time. It could be 2 in 10 minutes or 0 in 30 hours, which is why that type of farming-til-it-happens will never be a part of my personal experience with this game. I'm just not the right type of player for it. But it seems obvious to me that Bungie doesn't expect the average player to be walking around with a stack of keys all the time, and that doesn't bother me. It may well bother tons of you, and if we complain loudly enough about it I'm sure we'll then be able to get keys much more easily, and then it will be an expected reward, all the time. I'm just saying the minutiae of all that doesn't constitute "the point" of any particular content for me and it never will.

You elaborated more than I ever expected, but I must have need to phrase my question differently since I still don't think that I understand the mechanics. I'm still at work, and haven't touched the new content, but what it sounds like is that they just put another layer of RNG on top of the current RNG. Is it true that you now have to RNG a key just to get a shot at RNG'ing something else? It's one thing to beat the Deathsinger and get a class item instead of an Exotic, but then to not even have that opportunity due to not RNG'ing another material just sounds like a step backward.

I don't particularly need a loot drop to have fun, I'm just trying to grasp the point of the keys.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't particularly need a loot drop to have fun, I'm just trying to grasp the point of the keys.
sorry, I gotcha. apparently the keys = guaranteed legendary weapon or exotic reward. I haven't experienced any of this myself yet either, but I have 2 keys (not obtained through RNG) so I'll be sure to post my experience.

lol that description tho

rK3FJDw.jpg

DNAbro

After I tackle the bounties I'm going to try and do PoE one more time but no key. I assume side chests might give me something.

You elaborated more than I ever expected, but I must have need to phrase my question differently since I still don't think that I understand the mechanics. I'm still at work, and haven't touched the new content, but what it sounds like is that they just put another layer of RNG on top of the current RNG. Is it true that you now have to RNG a key just to get a shot at RNG'ing something else? It's one thing to beat the Deathsinger and get a class item instead of an Exotic, but then to not even have that opportunity due to not RNG'ing another material just sounds like a step backward.

You pretty much nailed it. RNG for RNG. Atleast with Deathsinger/Crota you get something and then RNG takes place.

They were doing server things yesterday in prep for house of wolves. So that's why you got kicked

You misunderstand. That used to be my daily experience, not just yesterday. Ask anyone on XboneGAF I've played with, I see more weasels on an average day than a pet store does in a week.

Today was the first day this didn't happen. Today was the first day 'Contacting Destiny Servers' did not herald a kick back to the login screen and an excruciating wait for my teammates. Today was the first day, and I sure as hell hope it's not the last.

You pretty much nailed it. RNG for RNG. Atleast with Deathsinger/Crota you get something and then RNG takes place.

I guess we'll see once people start playing the higher level PoE. If there is still the equivalent of a Crota drop (slim chance at an exotic) and the treasure key chest is just an additional more "guaranteed" drop that's roughly equivalent to a Nightfall drop...then it may not be too bad.

Deku Tree

I like the key RNG system. You run PoE the first time for the guaranteed drop. The key is just icing on the cake if you get one.

Then if you happen to have another key in your inventory then you'll have another excuse to run PoE again and you'll know that you will get "something good" at the end with your key.

If you want to grind keys that is your choice whether or not to do it. I personally don't plan on farming much with keys.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Also PoE not giving a Treasure Key BLOWS. I just got two today from doing Story Mission rewards (random there too) but one friend who did it with us got nothing. Just Blue Engrams. What the hell Bungie.
Ehhh. It was a reward like, not from the end of a mission but given to me by Petra or Variks on the mission turn-in screen. Didn't seem random at all.

Is everyone sure that POE doesn't drop treasure keys?

The lvl 32 one drops an armor core, I suppose the lvl 34 one drops a weapon core. I'm sure based off that the lvl 35 one will drop treasure keys.

I like the key RNG system. You run PoE the first time for the guaranteed drop. The key is just icing on the cake if you get one.

Then if you happen to have another key in your inventory then you'll have another excuse to run PoE again and you'll know that you will get "something good" at the end with your key.

If you want to grind keys that is your choice whether or not to do it. I personally don't plan on farming much with keys.
Yeah exactly this. I haven't played yet but the system doesn't sound bad at all.

If you have a key you get loot. Sounds reasonable to me.

Deku Tree

Anyone want to join for PoE level 32?

You must have completed 28 otherwise you can't join.

Join us!!!

Cosmos_Man

Wait is this true? Even if the fireteam leader has access to level 32 they can't carry someone into it who hasn't yet completed level 28?

Also can you join someone else's PoE session if you haven't unlocked it yourself?

I guess we'll see once people start playing the higher level PoE. If there is still the equivalent of a Crota drop (slim chance at an exotic) and the treasure key chest is just an additional more "guaranteed" drop that's roughly equivalent to a Nightfall drop...then it may not be too bad.

People already finished the 35, I'm wondering what they got.

Wait is this true? Even if the fireteam leader has access to level 32 they can't carry someone into it who hasn't yet completed level 28?

Also can you join someone else's PoE session if you haven't unlocked it yourself?

gunawi tried and it wouldn't let us load and it wouldn't let him use the invites I was sending him

He hadn't completed the 28 one so we are thinking that's why. It kept saying "player doesn't have access to this activity"

Not sure about the later but you can't do the higher level PoE until you've done the lower ones.

Well, I didn't get that much stuff today, did get TLW but I sharded that. These are the only two weapons I decided to keep.

I really curious about the AR more than anything. It has Focus Fire and Hidden Hand. I think it could be somewhat decent in pvp. Sniper just has Clown Cartridge and Shoot and Loot, which are ok. I mainly just kept it for the looks. Taking a break now.

I I'm up to 6 legendary weapons, 2 legendary armour and 3 exotics so far today. Woooo!

I still have 2 characters worth of engrams to decrypt, 1 Nightfall and lots of PoE to go. Also haven't spent the maxed crucible and vanguard points I have on each characters. Letting me buy 6 more items.

Ehhh. It was a reward like, not from the end of a mission but given to me by Petra or Variks on the mission turn-in screen. Didn't seem random at all.

It's definitely random. Wicked got one from separate reward stages of the quest than me, got two in a row from turning in the "Welcome to the Reef'" but I got nothing.

Deku Tree

The new shadow theif strike has cheese prevention coding in it....

I ran up the stairs when the door was about to close into the room with the walker... And me and a friend were both teleported into the room and the door closed....

I didn't even think I was trying to cheese just getting out of the way of the walker blast ... Which killed us right after the game teleported us into the room.

I wonder if they stealth patched things like that into some of the old activities?

Apt101

Haven't had the chance to play much. Logged on and decided to buy a new vest. Of course, the first award I get for doing the daily heroic was the same vest. Oh well. I'll rank up with Vanguard my next session and get some items in the mail for that, and will have enough marks to upgrade my gloves and boots. It felt weird going from low level 28 to nearly 31 with one item.

I'm going to need a new weapon as well. Hopefully I can buy a new one from this Queen's Wrath faction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom