• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT21| Our House, in the Middle of the Reef

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyder_ur

Mixed feelings.

1) the story missions are quite good, and a definite step up from TDB
2) the strike is a great length, paced well, etc. Really enjoyable to play
3) taking mats out of the NF loot table appears to have indirectly increased exotic drop rates. Anecdotally, my group's drops and the screens people have posted here have been just lousy with exotics. Strongly approve of this. There are still shenanigans like 10 strange coins, but the overall change seems positive.
4) PoE is a welcome supplemental activity. We only did the 28 as 32s and still managed to wipe once or twice, but I'm sure most of us will have this on farm through the 34 version presently.
5) apparently needing to farm for keys is absolutely insane
- I have no idea how Bungie manages to shoot themselves in the foot with SOMETHING every damn time.
- This could very well kill the activity for me, and it wouldn't surprise me if it did for a lot of groups, because if there's nothing you can do to GUARANTEE a key in a set amount of time, that means groups can't make certain plans to run PoE together each week.
- I farmed chests for ~3 hours (double- and triple-dipping where possible) and only pulled 1 key; you can't expect groups to spend hours farming chests just to run PoE. The guaranteed weekly cores are going to lose their luster after a few weeks (you can easily imagine the "give me something to do with all these extra cores!" posts), and the lack of a guaranteed exotic drop will likely depress the numbers of people playing it in favor of other activities.

*snip*

I agree with a lot of what you say here, especially about the keys. It seems like the commendations thing from TDB - a convoluted solution to a problem that didn't really exist, and I suspect like commendations it will become less of a problem a month or two removed from today.

I also loved the new missions and strike, although I'm frustrated that I may still have to do them again just to unlock PoE (does anyone have a workaround for this?).

Unlike you though, I had a ton of luck with drops. From two PoE 28 and 32 runs, I already have the following PoE weapons :MG (two actually), the launcher, and the hand cannon. As HayBro can attest, when we were decoding engrams I was rolling legendaries left and right from blue engrams and rank-ups. I already have 3 of the 6 vanguard and crucible vendor weapons without buying any of them and a bunch of other ones; it's kind of overwhelming. Bought the Deadshot Luna which is awesome and the Red Hand. Rolled duplicate versions of TLord, IB, Plan C, and Suros - all shards.

No exotic armor or weapons though. Has anyone seen an exotic weapon yet? Or are they all tied to bounties?

I think Hay and I were planning on putting in some more prison time tonight, maybe trying our luck at the 34.

Lnkn52

So anyone with multiple keys, are the keyed chests from each level different (more drops)? Is it better to grind the level 28 chest than the higher ones?

EL CUCO

It's weird how Destiny continues not to explain anything to you like the whole concept of ascending. A lot of us know because we've been following the streams and news pretty religiously but the actual game should probably tell you (maybe it does but I missed it).
I kinda like it this way. Reminds me of Souls games.

Bradach

So the pink weapons with the word Queen in them are effectively the "Raid" weapons for this expansion, right? Do they only drop in PoE? or are they only available to buy with a weapon core?

So the pink weapons with the word Queen in them are effectively the "Raid" weapons for this expansion, right? Do they only drop in PoE? or are they only available to buy with a weapon core?

I think the Queen's weapons drop from the chest at the end. The fallen themed weapons we buy with the weapon cores.

Manp

the raid weapons would be the ones the fallen dude in the reef sell

I also loved the new missions and strike, although I'm frustrated that I may still have to do them again just to unlock PoE (does anyone have a workaround for this?).

I think Hay and I were planning on putting in some more prison time tonight, maybe trying our luck at the 34.

I've heard a fireteam leader can bring a group into the 28. Not sure if that will continue to higher levels.

Let me know if you need a third tonight. I'll be around and I've run the story 3 times.

LTWood12

Posting the weapons I've gotten since Monday Night. Which are keepers, which are rerolls, and which are dismantles?

Snipers:

Amplified GEO-D6: Void-Ambush Scope, Mulligan, Casket Mag, Performance Bonus

Her Benevolence: Arc-Ambush, Mulligan, Shoot to Loot

Low-Grade Humility: Void-Triple Tap, Casket Mag, Surplus

Fusion Rifles:

Split Shifter Pro: Void-Spray & Play, Enhanced Battery, Battle Runner

Techeun Force: Solar-Feeding Frenzy, Accelerated Coils, Battle Runner

Rocket Launcher:

Pax Totalus EPR8: Arc (2 in the mag)-Spray & Play, Heavy Payload, Vacuum

rNilla

It kinda does tell you. You just have to hover over the Ascend option in your gear screen. No need to spoon feed IMO.

I kinda like it this way. Reminds me of Souls games.

That was one of my favorite parts of Dark Souls--it reminded me of games I grew up with where you just had to explore and figure it out. I don't feel like this is the same thing though. Destiny isn't an interesting mystery it's just a game absent of significant in-game narrative or explanation. Ascension is a significant update to the existing game that changes how upgrading works and I think it's worth explaining. All of the questions being asked in this thread are evidence of this, just like the Xur upgrade system in TDB also went unexplained in game and you could easily reset your exotics if you didn't know any better. It was confusing.

I don't know what the solution is or if there is even a good one. The solution I can think of is some kind of text or a tutorial that will still probably go unnoticed and annoy people that already get it.

G_Berry

Banned
Posted this in the other thread however. ...

Radiant mats. What do i do with them?

My word of crota still has the last 2 slots available requiring rad energy. If i upgrade it with etheric light, so the last 2 slots auto fill?

Am i safe to convert all my mats to motes?

ethomaz

Banned
Sorry guys I pressed the circle button by mistake while I was talking.

I don't have another key for this char so I will pass this new run.

Nice run btw... thanks.

zewone

My word of crota still has the last 2 slots available requiring rad energy. If i upgrade it with etheric light, so the last 2 slots auto fill?

You still need to fill in weapons with shards to max it out.

If you no longer need the rad mats, you can exchange them for motes from the speaker.

spyder_ur

I've heard a fireteam leader can bring a group into the 28. Not sure if that will continue to higher levels.

Let me know if you need a third tonight. I'll be around and I've run the story 3 times.

Oh that's definitely true. I got taken into them yesterday by Haybro, both 28 and 32; Grip did too.

Haybro was running through the story missions; I joined him maybe halfway through the whole story mission series (maybe the cosmodrome mission), and I was hoping the game would pick up that checkpoint or something. I finished all of the rest of the story missions and it's still not unlocked for me, so it looks like you have to start from the very top. Kind of annoying, but others don't seem to mind it so maybe I'm alone. What I'm worried about is that on that second character I've kind of messed up the sequence; I got a quest completed during one stage, and I turned in the bounties as well. So I'm not sure what will happen if I start at the beginning, or even if I can exactly.

That was one of my favorite parts of Dark Souls--it reminded me of games I grew up with where you just had to explore and figure it out. I don't feel like this is the same thing though. Destiny isn't an interesting mystery it's just a game absent of significant in-game narrative or explanation. Ascension is a significant update to the existing game that changes how upgrading works and I think it's worth explaining. All of the questions being asked in this thread are evidence of this, just like the Xur upgrade system in TDB also went unexplained in game and you could easily reset your exotics if you didn't know any better. It was confusing.

I don't know what the solution is or if there is even a good one. The solution I can think of is some kind of text or a tutorial that will still probably go unnoticed and annoy people that already get it.

You're so knowledgeable. Get your ass back in gear on the NarmerQuest.

BokehKing

Banned
OK, unlocked PoE and have 2 keys, anyone running 28 or 32
😐😐
I'll run Crucible until someone is around

😎😎

First character to Lv34- What else? #TitanMasterRace

CFczP-6UkAAjTtx.jpg:large

Tackling the Lv35 PoE final boss with 3 Blinding Defender Titans. Most fun I've had in PvE since VoG...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Posting the weapons I've gotten since Monday Night. Which are keepers, which are rerolls, and which are dismantles?

Snipers:

Amplified GEO-D6: Void-Ambush Scope, Mulligan, Casket Mag, Performance Bonus
I'd reroll that to maybe something with unflinching? It's such a potent sniper.
Fusion Rifles:

Split Shifter Pro: Void-Spray & Play, Enhanced Battery, Battle Runner
I'd reroll or not depending on whether or not you can use a void fusion in your arsenal.
Techeun Force: Solar-Feeding Frenzy, Accelerated Coils, Battle Runner
I'd keep that, charge must be crazy with Coils and it's a wizard-slayer.
Rocket Launcher:

Pax Totalus EPR8: Arc (2 in the mag)-Spray & Play, Heavy Payload, Vacuum
Reroll, rocket launchers without either tracking or grenades and horseshoes are pretty tough to use.

Your word of crota needs radiant mats to be leveled up. Don't convert all your mats unless you don't have any more items you want to upgrade that require them.

LordofPwn

shaders and emblems should just unlock across your account with class items/sparrows/ships needing something similar.

Also i don't understand why planetary materials have a cap of 200 when class materials and shard/energies don't. we should also be able to manually take out x-amount of materials from the vault in game. this would free up a ton of space for a lot of people that we could use that real estate for storing more armor and guns. that or make planetary materials/shards/energies available across all characters in a shared pool like glimmer.

We need more space for guns/armor. especially now that HoW is out and we have a ton of new stuff. they should just also retroactively update all old guns armor so that ascendant and radiant shards are no longer needed. this way you can phase them out using the speaker to convert them to glimmer or motes or whatever.

Sullichin

if I ascend my current Red Hand IX (331 max), will I then be able to reforge it?
Would be kinda lame if I couldn't considering you can reforge a new one.

On a similar subject, I only played the new Crucible maps and I can't use any HC but TLW anymore. I totally forgot how to play with the "normal" handcannons and they feel way too slow.

OT22, They see me rerollin.
OT22, See HoW we kill them back

I hate complaining or being nitpicky and I rarely do, but damnit everytime we get a new DLC the vault space becomes way too small. Especially all these new emblems AND that everything is relevant. I don't want to delete anything, Bungie. Either make vault spaces bigger for those that have 3 chars vs 1 or just increase.

-need moar vault space
-We need more inventory space for consumables and such too. I hate dismantling my emblems and ships.
-the ability to dismantle synths.

That's pretty much my only gripe because everything else is fantastic. More ways to get keys possibly but I'd rather have the space first.

Edit: Thanks for making them bigger but they needed that to begin with. New stuff means we need even more. Hopefully Destiny 2 and no last gen means tons and tons of space.

LTWood12

I'd reroll that to maybe something with unflinching? It's such a potent sniper.
I'd reroll or not depending on whether or not you can use a void fusion in your arsenal.

I'd keep that, charge must be crazy with Coils and it's a wizard-slayer.

Reroll, rocket launchers without either tracking or grenades and horseshoes are pretty tough to use.

Your word of crota needs radiant mats to be leveled up. Don't convert all your mats unless you don't have any more items you want to upgrade that require them.

Thanks Hawk. See you in half an hour. We'll need a third for level 34 PoE in 30 minutes. Any takers?

POE treasure chest seems to be a bit of a red herring to everyone. AFAIK it does NOT drop armor/weapon motes or POE armor (the one that is just light 42), it instead drops the same exotics that you can get from NF/VOG/CE and a mix of queens legendary weapons. It also doesn't drop Etheric Lights. I could be wrong about that, but I have yet to see someone say they got any of those things.

So really all you need to do is run POE (32 or 34 or both) and hope you get some good luck with etheric light drops from anywhere. Run it at least 3 weeks and hope the vendor sells different slots every week. Bam, now you are 34. Even in the worst case scenario running it for 4 to 5 weeks, just the level 32 version, will get you 34 with no extra work. You can speed it up massively by running the 34, running ToO, getting lucky with etheric light drops in nightfall, etc.

Am I wrong in this? It really just doesn't seem the treasure chest is that interesting. All the legendary queens items I have seen are fairly meh, with side by side better versions from vanguard/crucible vendors.

The only thing I am confused about is the elemental fallen weapons. I think you can only get them from the boss drops in the 35 PoE? Because my understanding is that the POE final chest (which needs the key) is the same across all levels of POE, the 35 doesn't give any different loot than the 32 version except maybe for a unique shader/ship/emblem.

Again I am not saying this is all fact, the info is kind of loose and flying right now so I could be totally wrong but thats what it seems to be.

ocean

Banned
I might be in the minority's here but I like the Treasure Key mechanic the way it is. There's no way in hell I'll grind Patrol for hours every week trying to get some. But it's good to offer people who have more time to put into the game these additional opportunities.

I'll still have NF x3, Gorgon's x6, Atheon x3, Deathsinger x3, Crota x6...that's a damn heck of a lot of Exotic rolls. No way I can do all of those every week. For the guys who knock that list out each Tuesday at reset, the possibility of rolls hinged on a super rare drop from an annoying disappearing chest sounds fair.

PoE will still give me cores and Etherics and fun, more than enough reason to keep running it.

The systems you guys suggest with lots of guarantees Keys per week would mean changing the treasure's generosity. Chances at Exotics are sooo high, with some people getting 2 Exotics at once. It's cool that it's there and I guess it's meant to be something most of us experience perhaps once or twice a month.

Hardcore players with tons of free time can experience that every week, perhaps multiple times. Seems fair :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom