• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT21| Our House, in the Middle of the Reef

Status
Not open for further replies.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
It is hard but you will be fine with Ghorns and one hunter to invis disable the mines... that is the hardest part at Round 4... kills the enemies with Ghorns is easy the issue you need to disable 3 mines in less than one minute in Round 4 Wave 3... Hunter invis can do that without be killed by enemies.

Even a 300 Gjallarhorn? :-(

You get etheric light guaranteed so it's still worth it

Thanks.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
But that's the thing I'm not at lvl 34 yet lol
It'll still let you in, lol. I'm not saying I advise it or that it will be easy.

You can also get the 34 done on another character if you have one and transfer the etheric light.
That's what it seems like so far and if so I think it's fantastic.
There are definite advantages and while I think the complaints about key acquisition may or may not turn out to be warranted, that will be variable with simple tweaks if it is really necessary- there are a lot of ways Bungie can get us extra keys each week if that's what should really happen.

The most telling and major difference with this kind of system is that a player can acquire a key completely solo and access the treasure room via matchmaking the 28 PoE- effectively giving a much broader swath of the playerbase access to a raid-like drop point without the need to assemble a fireteam at all, let alone a 6-man raid group.
You can turn that into a 365 Gjallarhorn instantly.

PvP is pretty boring atm. There are a lot of new or returning players that aren't that great. Hopefully ToO this weekend isn't like this.

Play salvage. I have a 2.8 KD and find a challenge most of the time on that playlist. TOO will probably have all the skilled players, it should be fun.

New veterans of the prison of elders:

What's level 34 like with three level 33s? How brutal is it? Any tips?

Oh - and if I don't have a key is there any point doing it?
Welp did starters you automatically have something like a ~30 % penalty already.
Edit:
HM Crota is so much easier when you aren't under leveled gawd. 2 swords and out, nice and easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjhFh5Uopbg
Yeah I believe I mention it would become a joke once the level cap is increased. Personally still bullshit bungie made "hard" mode by forcing the players to be underlevel.

BokehKing

Banned
Seen this on Twitter yesterday, not sure if it made it here yet:
7LXjAd4m.jpg
Ha... Ghllajhorn Prime

ethomaz

Banned
If you have wolfpacks unlocked yes.

Ghorn is to call enemies attentions... so I shot it even in group of weak enemies... if the enemies have the attention on you then you won't disable the mine... you need to stay five seconds of more in the same place and all enemies will shot you (wizards and boomers).

For example... when a buddy goes to disable a mine I start to shot Ghorns on enemies to them follow me and left my buddy disable the mine ;).

PS. Just go to Gorgon chest... get a Exotic... shard it and make your Horn 365 ;)

Play salvage. I have a 2.8 KD and find a challenge most of the time on that playlist. TOO will probably have all the skilled players, it should be fun.

ToO prioritizing connection over skill has me skeptical. Yeah, the gear is nice, but I really just don't want to roll over everyone. Hopefully it turns out to be a good time.

hydruxo

First weekend of ToO will likely be a combination of skilled & not so skilled players. There's going to be a lot of people trying it out who don't normally play PVP simply for the fact that it's a new mode and they want the gear. I'd expect in the coming weeks ToO will get harder once the newness wears off and the regular PVPers keep at it.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
If you have wolfpacks unlocked yes.

Ghorn is to call enemies attentions... so I shot it even in group of weak enemies... if the enemies have the attention on you then you won't disable the mine... you need to stay five seconds of more in the same place and all enemies will shot you (wizards and boomers).

For example... when a buddy goes to disable a mine I start to shot Ghorns on enemies to them follow me and left my buddy disable the mine ;).

Thanks Yoda :)

Don't be shard-stingy, take it to 365! :) if you're out of Exotic shards they'll be on sale this weekend with Xur.

I'm all out dude! I got a bit excited.

Use the Last Word. It's honestly the best gun in the game once you get used to it. If you can start getting headshots without ADS it kills people in 2 shots. My tier list for primary weapons in leveled PvP is something like:

Last Word
Hawkmoon
Bad Juju
Thorn
Time on Target* (Probably would go right below Last Word, but only with the Headseeker perk and it's fairly hard to use)
BadgerCCL / A.1 Rex / Other top tier impact Scout Rifles
Red Death

Not that anyone asked. xD

Agreed and i will use TLW no doubt about it, but the playstyle in ToO will lead teams to hide corners and snipe etc (Hawkmoon's great strength), TLW work great in carefree aggressive pvp, will it work well in ToO super defensive games? dunno guess we will find out. RAMBO MODE ENGAGE!

ToO prioritizing connection over skill has me skeptical. Yeah, the gear is nice, but I really just don't want to roll over everyone. Hopefully it turns out to be a good time.

Oh yeah the connection thing hmmm. It should be interesting. I guess the big question is if all the elite teams will stop once they get 9 wins or just play the part of saboteur all weekend.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
so with rerolling and all..... what does one look for in a pulse rifle, and are any of the vendor PR any good?

Kreus

Neo Member
New veterans of the prison of elders:

What's level 34 like with three level 33s? How brutal is it? Any tips?

Oh - and if I don't have a key is there any point doing it?

You'll be fine.

Pro Tips:

Round 4 and 5 - ALWAYS take down the wizards and ogres Itas soon as you see them, make sure to use call outs.

Round 5 - Set recovery attribute to Max.

Warlocks - Use Angel Of Light to stay off the floor.

Hunter - Use your double jump right before you touch the floor

Titan - God help you. I used increased height and my bubble with Armor of light with things got sticky.

It's really not that hard though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm pretty sure all I get from 7 PoE runs were queen weapons when I opened the chest.

Anybody got anything different?
Your first time through it seems very very likely that you are guaranteed an exotic. Sure there was nothing at the postmaster?

Nori Chan

Guys I work with got a Plan C and a Dragon's Breath on their first times through. I haven't gone through myself yet.

Suros and Monte Carlo and a few queen weapons

You get a guaranteed exotic your first run through PoE

Your first time through it seems very very likely that you are guaranteed an exotic. Sure there was nothing at the postmaster?

I should've been more specific, I should've meant besides that lol

stb

In my mind the treasure key setup should be as follows (this is per toon):

GUARANTEED key drop upon first PoE completion for the week.
GUARANTEED key rewarded for completing all Petra's bounties for the week.
Maximum of FIVE keys (3 additional if above completed first) per week.

This makes it easy for those who can't commit to a lot of time (set objectives with GUARANTEED rewards) and balances the amount of farming people should be doing.

Thank you for explaining what I was saying far more concisely.

I agree with a lot of what you say here, especially about the keys. It seems like the commendations thing from TDB - a convoluted solution to a problem that didn't really exist, and I suspect like commendations it will become less of a problem a month or two removed from today.

Yeah; it's really strange how they don't learn. I genuinely hope that the keys aren't a pain point, a la Impala26's suggestions, above, and my own in the post you replied to. Let the grinders grind within reason, but let everyone get their cookie every week.

Unlike you though, I had a ton of luck with drops. From two PoE 28 and 32 runs, I already have the following PoE weapons :MG (two actually), the launcher, and the hand cannon. As HayBro can attest, when we were decoding engrams I was rolling legendaries left and right from blue engrams and rank-ups. I already have 3 of the 6 vanguard and crucible vendor weapons without buying any of them and a bunch of other ones; it's kind of overwhelming. Bought the Deadshot Luna which is awesome and the Red Hand. Rolled duplicate versions of TLord, IB, Plan C, and Suros - all shards.

Two full months of shit luck for me. It's really starting to take the wind out of my sails. If I didn't have you guys in the raid crew, I'm not sure I'd still be hanging with it.

I might be in the minority's here but I like the Treasure Key mechanic the way it is. There's no way in hell I'll grind Patrol for hours every week trying to get some. But it's good to offer people who have more time to put into the game these additional opportunities.

I'll still have NF x3, Gorgon's x6, Atheon x3, Deathsinger x3, Crota x6...that's a damn heck of a lot of Exotic rolls. No way I can do all of those every week. For the guys who knock that list out each Tuesday at reset, the possibility of rolls hinged on a super rare drop from an annoying disappearing chest sounds fair.

[snip]

The systems you guys suggest with lots of guarantees Keys per week would mean changing the treasure's generosity. Chances at Exotics are sooo high, with some people getting 2 Exotics at once. It's cool that it's there and I guess it's meant to be something most of us experience perhaps once or twice a month.

I don't think anyone has suggested "lots" of guaranteed keys. Granting players one key for the first PoE boss kill of the week, and/or one if they're willing to do the bounties (~1 hour of play) each week means 1 or 2 exotic roll for about 30-90 minutes of work. This is completely in line with raid exotic drops. Hell, NM CE gives you 2 exotic drops for ~30 minutes of work.

The problem with NO guaranteed key is that it gives PoE a limited shelf life.

If the 'average' end game player isn't willing to grind for keys, it means PoE will be reduced to min/maxing in literally a month (there are only so many armor pieces and they've stated that they'll rotate through predictably, and there are only so many legendary weapons "worth" ascending or that people actually use).

I agree that the hardest of the hardcore should be able to grind keys then grind PoE to their hearts' content, but no guaranteed key makes it ONLY for those people. Huge miscalculation on Bungie's part, and I wouldn't be surprised if they do what another poster said, above: "Oops! no key from the boss is a bug!" I hope it really is a bug; the alternative is severe myopia.

Meh frankly the "expansion" has been disappointing. 1 strike, 1st story mission is a strike backward instead of a story mission backward strike, 2nd story mission is a patrol. Def not worth $20 so far imo.

Oh yeah the connection thing hmmm. It should be interesting. I guess the big question is if all the elite teams will stop once they get 9 wins or just play the part of saboteur all weekend.

I'm not a huge fan of elimination, so I'll probably just stop at how many wins you need, unless other people need help then I'll play some more. Five wins was the armor and eight was the weapon. So I don't know what nine wins gets you.

Easy solution. Have me in your fireteam like a golf handicap. I'll be sue to go negative for you.

D:

What's your PSN, I'll play ToO with you

Sorry, XB1,
still regret it lol.

skip

Kinda liking Pest Control Matrix, if just for the break from scout rifles these last few months, but I'm not convinced on my roll:

Replenish
Lightweight / Skip Rounds / Rifled Barrel*
Persistence

Seems like an ideal roll AR would incorporate Glass Half Full and whatever the new Field Scout is?

Kyne

I love my Hawkmoon but there's no way I'm leaving my kills in ToO up to luck.

It's disheartening but I'm leading with Thorn. Once I get 5 wins on both my characters then I'll start taking chances.

I might be in the minority's here but I like the Treasure Key mechanic the way it is. There's no way in hell I'll grind Patrol for hours every week trying to get some. But it's good to offer people who have more time to put into the game these additional opportunities.

I'll still have NF x3, Gorgon's x6, Atheon x3, Deathsinger x3, Crota x6...that's a damn heck of a lot of Exotic rolls. No way I can do all of those every week. For the guys who knock that list out each Tuesday at reset, the possibility of rolls hinged on a super rare drop from an annoying disappearing chest sounds fair.

PoE will still give me cores and Etherics and fun, more than enough reason to keep running it.

The systems you guys suggest with lots of guarantees Keys per week would mean changing the treasure's generosity. Chances at Exotics are sooo high, with some people getting 2 Exotics at once. It's cool that it's there and I guess it's meant to be something most of us experience perhaps once or twice a month.

Hardcore players with tons of free time can experience that every week, perhaps multiple times. Seems fair :)
Wait, you can roll Exotics on Normal, then Hard?

LiK

I'm not a huge fan of elimination, so I'll probably just stop at how many wins you need, unless other people need help then I'll play some more. Five wins was the armor and eight was the weapon. So I don't know what nine wins gets you.

D:

Sorry, XB1,
still regret it lol.

Dang it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom