• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT21| Our House, in the Middle of the Reef

Status
Not open for further replies.

nOoblet16

I ran with Darryl and Sploatee, just got finished on PoE 34. I had an amazingly fun time despite wiping many (oh so many) times at round 4. It's frustrating but I don't really think it's cheap design. Having you cap those points with so much going on forces you to think up strategies, which I think is this game at its finest. Rambo won't do it. We ended up doing the following:

Darryl went invisible ninja with his Hunter. We'd clean out all but 1 Thrall on wave 1. That way we'd all recover supers, ammo, and get in position. Before killing that last Thrall, Darryl would go to one end of the room and Sploatee and I (both Titans) would stay at the other end. If A spawned by him, he'd invisi-cap it then retreat to safety. A Wizard would always come just before the B marker arrived, which Sploat and I would rocket immediately. Then depending on where B and C appeared I'd go pop an Armor bubble to cap it, shotgun out in case anyone challenged it, Darryl invisibly getting the other point at the same time.

All that done, retreat to original position to kill enemies, leave 1 alive. Since wave 3 is the same thing, we'd repeat the process. Recover heavy, supers etc.

There is so much in that room that can kill you in a second that you're forced to play it safe, study the environment for cover and movement options, evaluate which perks you want on your subclass (took a while to figure out Armor was working better than blessing since Arc burn made even us die quick even with blessing as 33s). I dropped Gift for Bastion so my bubble would last longer. You'd have a Hunter dropping his Horn in favor of P&T just in case a clutch invis was required.

It was by far the hardest encounter I've yet faced in the game. I raged. But I liked it! It wasn't a gear or level check. It was a scenario completely decked against us which we managed to overcome by trial and error, along with some patience (and time, yay).

PoE 34 is hard. Or at least it was for me, I'm not a pro. I don't even use Auto Rifles, I didn't stick through it for the loot. I just really wanted to beat an encounter that challenging using the tools at my disposal and we did it! It was refreshing and felt more satisfying than anything in Crota's End for me.

VoG is still the game's apex and brightest hour. This is, however, a thrilling addition. Can't wait to see what fucked up stuff they'll make us overcome next week. A lot more of us will be 34 by then so it won't be as hard (we were 3 33s) but I think it'll still manage to make us strategize and try different approaches.

Wave 3 is not essentially the same as wave 2 because it spawns 2 wizards. Getting the mines isn't the difficult part, it's surviving the onslaught of hallowed wizards, knights and multiple motherfuckin cursed thralls that walk into your bubble.

You are making it sound more complex than it is when you say stuff like 'study the environment' when I know exactly which area it is because I've used that same area just like everyone else. Same for your usage of the term strategy since the one you came up with is the exact strategy I came up with and is the exact strategy everyone else will be using, because anything else won't really work as well (the only other thing that works is a hunter taking all three points). A mode where you get killed by one hit is absolutely gear check and is absolutely cheap design when the entire room is filled with enemies that can one hit you and have high health, I am level 33 god damnit I should be far beyond the nuisance of one hit kills no matter what enemy I face but this game doesn't lets me do that. A higher level in this game just means I can access more content and not be at a level disadvantage rather than actually meaning anything.

I am enraged because this is bad encounter design and it's not creative way to make things difficult. It's the exact reason why people hate Omnigul with Arc burn but worse since there's a level disadvantage. Also 34 won't be as hard when we are 34, but then 35 will be the new 34...because you gotta have that level disadvantage to make things 'interesting'.

And I will say it once more for others, I have finished it on 34 as a 33. I am not angry because I couldn't finish it, I am angry because it's just shit. I hate that majority of the high level content in this game is just you holing in a corner and taking enemies out one by one....some strategy that ! I am absolutely sure that when bungie makes their encounter they expect the players to be on the move constantly, but the changes they make to hard mode make that impossible...it seems like there's a conflict in what they want and what they implement.

bitsurugi

I'm probably the only one who's done PoE on 35 three times (on 3 diff chars) and didn't get the ship & shader stuff. Darn keys, hard to get em, need 1 for next week reset.

Any suggestions on what to upgrade with eth. light after VoC and Fatebringer?

Oh, and results on my weekly gamble on judgement packs:

- PoE sniper
- PoE chest, str roll, vex buff
- same exact chest
- same exact sniper as above
- PoE pulse rifle (meh)

GhaleonEB

+1 on Variks. I like him a lot.

"You me friend yeees? Give me your ghost yeees?"

"He just called you a....well, it was an insult." (Paraphrased, I think it was from the strike.)

It was the first time a line of dialogue in Destiny had made me laugh out loud intentionally.

LTWood12

That sounds good. I wonder if I could actually get PoE unlocked on one of my other characters. If I stopped playing Bloodborne right now I bet I could, haha

Whatever. if you want to play BB until then, I'll run the the story with you and we can go from there. I may be on earlier than that.

4 games

widows court > timekeeper > black shield > a big pile of fallen poop > thieves den

skirmish

-widows court reminds me of counter strike. vaired and large and gorgeous and so fucking fun
-timekeeper has lots of corners but good stuff to jump on. too many explosive crates though
-black shield is too flat and campy. probably better for control but awful in skirmish
-thieves den is hot garbage. just a bunch of tunnels.

widows court alone redeems it. amazing map.

Thieves Den is just poop. I'd rather play on Anomaly.

Posting for a new page: is Wolfslayer claw worth it? Or should keep the weapon core?

Auto rifles have been nerfed so hard that they just aren't competitive with scouts, HCs or PRs. But they can still be fun and reasonably effective, which WolfC definitely is. Plus it looks super sweet and you won't have much to spend weapon cores on over the weeks ahead. Especially if you have one character of each class since you can spend 3 armor cores on 3 different pieces but would only reasonably ever want one of each weekly weapon.

njean777

Can you do the lvl 28 POE and get armor that has higher light? Or do you have to do the 32 to get armor that will take you higher than 32?

You can get treasure keys from

1) Farming patrol HoW events. Seems super rare. I've done it about 30 times now and got one.

2) Sometimes from winning PoE? Is this likely? I'd hate to beat the really hard one and not have a key to use.

Is there any other way?

Wallach

1) Farming patrol HoW events. Seems super rare. I've done it about 30 times now and got one.

2) Sometimes from winning PoE? Is this likely? I'd hate to beat the really hard one and not have a key to use.

Is there any other way?

Apparently you can get them from clearing PoE but it isn't common. I did 8 PoE runs total yesterday and didn't get one from any of them.

I know you can also get them from turning in Queen's Wrath bounties. Edit - it may be that the packages from those are not random but rank packages, I'm not sure yet as I haven't hit rank 3.

Is there any other way?

You get one guaranteed key when you finish the story missions on each character and turn in the final bounty to the HoW vendor.

PSA: Save a key for your first Lv35 PoE clear DGAF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom