• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT21| Our House, in the Middle of the Reef

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If I'm looking to level a new character, what's the best route to take? Is it worth doing the whole story, or just grinding on bounties as soon as I open up all the planets? I have a fully leveled Titan, but I want to give Warlock a spin finally.
Once you understand the mechanics the story missions are basically XP you can use to apply to what you want. The best thing to do on any new character as early as possible is get to Vanguard Rank 2, so you should start bounties and weekly heroic strikes and such asap.

edit: What I did on both of my new characters after my first was play through all the main missions, the ones with the laurel wreath icon, beating the "story" and then left all the other side missions to use to give XP to certain guns.

Apt101

Talk me out of spending my motes of light on a sweet warlock band. Because I want a sweet warlock band and ain't nothing stopping me from getting it.

Raybunny

It'll get done eventually if you do strike playlist regularly. You get like 5 Hydras in the Winter's Run strike and 2 or 3 in the Undying Mind one.

In one hour I will get it done since am farming the hydra in the last story mission just before the undying mind. But its quite a grind. Gotta get that grimoire done asap.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Talk me out of spending my motes of light on a sweet warlock band. Because I want a sweet warlock band and ain't nothing stopping me from getting it.

If it were a frabjous hunter cloak or even an attention-grabbing titan butt-towel, I'd understand.

Daigoro

If I'm looking to level a new character, what's the best route to take? Is it worth doing the whole story, or just grinding on bounties as soon as I open up all the planets? I have a fully leveled Titan, but I want to give Warlock a spin finally.

the quickest way is to have a high level friend drag you though the story on the highest difficulty settings the mission will allow, picking up bounties along the way.

i think you can get to 20 by just doing this. 20 or very close.

120 hydras to go and my mind is:

how-about-no-bear-meme.jpg

Ray what are you doing to yourself?!
Don't you have to go and look for the 4th Horseman or something?

Do a few pvp matches and try getting to level 3 before you actually start the story, that way you can do the hard modes of missions to level up alot faster.

Jinjo

So please tell me we don't have to run through the HoW story again three times to unlock PoE/the new Nightfall strike. That absolutely sucked with TDB.

raindoc

Is it possible to get into a crucible match alone without 80% of the players showing red bars? If so - how? Is the secret hidden in the grimoire?

EDIT:
So please tell me we don't have to run through the HoW story again three times to unlock PoE/the new Nightfall strike. That absolutely sucked with TDB.

what sucked was the missions. i'm guessing that quite some people here, myself included, played multiple FPS campaigns multiple time for no additional gain. I don't remember how many times iplayed Halo 3 or COD:MW (1). I love(d). But Destiny's campaign sucks. Recently helpeda friend level up his first alt and hated every second of it. The weapons feel right and I'm not capable of pinpointing the exact reasons for why I don't like most of D's story missions so far, but a lack of immersion due to a "what plot?"-sentiment is definitely involved. There's no result my accomplishments in the game world. The plot does not move on, there's no progress, no sense of direction.

Talking about factions. Gotta get myself the DO shader. You got the full black one ?

I have the Revenant DO shader, only one I've got so far but probably the most wanted shader. I might be one of the few people that actually want a New Monarchy shader or the God of War shader...

nOoblet16

Reach was awful.
Reach was a good game the problems game from people disliking armour abilities (which had started seeping into the series since Halo 2 and went big in Halo 3).

The maps in Destiny are awful, except for two maps every single map is unbalanced and not really fun to play.

Talking about factions. Gotta get myself the DO shader. You got the full black one ?

I do too... If I didn't hate the faction bonds. I guess I'm a bit obsessive but I much prefer to hang around with Speaker bonds and IB bond. The others are so lame, they really should do some better looking onws for the factions. Maybe holographic versions like the Speaker's.

Raybunny

I have the Revenant DO shader, only one I've got so far but probably the most wanted shader. I might be one of the few people that actually want a New Monarchy shader or the God of War shader...

I trade with you the god of war for the Revenant.

I do too... If I didn't hate the faction bonds. I guess I'm a bit obsessive but I much prefer to hang around with Speaker bonds and IB bond. The others are so lame, they really should do some better looking onws for the factions. Maybe holographic versions like the Speaker's.

I have to agree with you on that; The faction bonds aren't that attractive.

Hydra grimoire done. Time for Shotgun kills ( Universal Remote + Judment VI with full auto, hammer forged and return to sender)

I trade with you the god of war for the Revenant.

I'll be swimming in faction/vanguard packages when HoW drops, as well as commendations. Maybe I'll be lucky again and end up with some shaders.

I still need to complete Ogres, Hydra, Rumble, Salvage, Patrol and Public events for my grimoire, but they're such a grind.

I spent 50 motes on Ulan-Tan's Burial Ring and White Polygon Construct. One clips through the raid pauldrons. The other just plain doesn't fit.

R.I.P., Motes of Light. You shall be avenged.

i don't feel like i should spend too much time discussing crucible here. destinygaf is certainly not predominantly LFG posts...but i think it ought to be. there's a lot of discussion to be held about this game and it tends to bury the posters looking for players to fill their lobbies.

Not sure how others feel, but I definitely don't want DGAF to be mainly LFG stuff. I think that's an essential component but the community feeling and educated discussions about the game are my favorite parts. It's not always easy to get detailed conversations going here, everyone has different interests and experiences. But it's head and shoulders above any other Destiny conversation I've seen around the web.

And you should totally definitely absolutely post as much about Crucible as you want. It needs more attention and educated conversation, I think more people can learn to enjoy it if they engage with its strategies and intricacies.

Thanks a lot for making this Kadey, it looks really slick. The only issue is I think it works better to have all the names displayed simultaneously so people can easily see who's there, which I wasn't sure about until seeing the scroll in action.

Thanks so much for taking the time to make it!

This is also fantastic, pretty much exactly what I had in mind but couldn't articulate. The Destiny-style design and avatar inclusions give it a lot more life than the old Excel list. I like the "Hot 100" title there but I'd only included that at the time as a temporary celebration thing, definitely don't want to only keep the first 100 set in stone and exclude/discourage later GLords.

So I'm not sure how you want to handle revisions/updates going forward. Right now there are 6 people that need to be added, and 1 person that apparently needs to be subtracted since Dave_6 said he wasn't actually a GLord. I searched on NeoGaf and PSN but couldn't find anyone with the David_6 name so not sure what happened there.

I'm happy to handle the updates if you let me know where I could access the file, or I can send you a PM with the list of updates. The only issue is you'd have to update the file then send it back to me so I could update the OP. Might be easier for me to do the updates, I'm happy to do that and view it as part of the "thread master responsibilities." Whatever you prefer is fine though. (edit: just realized that if the image can be updated using that same link then the OP will updated automatically when you make changes, so maybe that's the best idea?)

Thanks again for all the time it must have taken to make that. So many talented DGAF'ers!

Well hello.

Back from ban island

Welcome back! Try not to get banned again too soon, lol.

Xbone GAF, I have Crota HM checkpoint x3. Looking to run it in a few hours. Late afternoon Eurotrash, early morning Freedom Folk, it doesn't matter. Let me know if you want in.

Thanks to Ji66a Man for the checkpoint.

123rl

Xbone GAF, I have Crota HM checkpoint x3. Looking to run it in a few hours. Late afternoon Eurotrash, early morning Freedom Folk, it doesn't matter. Let me know if you want in.

Thanks to Ji66a Man for the checkpoint.

I can join about 7pm gmt if you are still on then but I only have level 31 characters

I can join about 7pm gmt if you are still on then but I only have level 31 characters

That'll be too late for me. Going to see the 8pm Mad Max showing, that's 7pm GMT.

If I can't get a group together today, I might try to do it tomorrow. Go to the gym in the afternoon so I can get on in the evening.

Finally got all caught up on the thread, phew. OP has been updated a bit, mainly including that awesome GLord list. Also subbed in Tower Ghost for the DIM as the go-to service.

@M3Rocket: If you want to make a FAQ kinda post (or if a good one already exists) for Tower Ghost let me know and I'll link it in the OP.

So stiill in the hospital still... Might miss out on HoW from the starting gate but eventually I will be along side you all soon again and having fun

Get well soon buddy, Destiny isn't the same without you.

First pic is from January, second pic is from this week's Nightfall. Apparently dregs like that wall.

Skele7on

Banned
Welcome back! Try not to get banned again too soon, lol.

LOL, will try not too. This ban was a bit silly, but I get it rules and stuff, in future will keep mouth shut about some things that I have been told as I cannot be on gaf 24/7 to reply to messages on how I know stuff.

Fun couple weeks, The twitter banter with DeeJ has been really fun.

Anyway my how prep is done pretty much:
I have maxed marks on all three characters.
Maxed 10 5k bounties on each
Maxed all guns I feel may be needed for House Of Wolves.
Now I'm just completing public events each day on all characters for the packages.
Also playing a lot of doubles too.

ALSO: I have been signed up by MLG to stream with my fellow Invigorate guys.
I will be starting streaming probably next week/week after depending on when channel art and my new macbook gets here, will also be doing a charity stream for Nepal at some point, it's being arranged as we speak.

Genuinely my full intention of our clan is to redeem world first next week.
On level 35, so the grind is real.....

Nope, just have bittersteel.

Bugger. That's too much! I was hoping to be just under a new vanguard level for next Tuesday.

Nf + Weekly + daily bounties + roc stirkes will easily get you to a new level.

First pic is from January, second pic is from this week's Nightfall. Apparently dregs like that wall.

I have a similar pic with a Vandal instead of a Dreg :p

Was wondering, i've never done a weekly nightfall mission or any raids but i've got a lvl 31 warlock, is that high enough?

30 is enough for nightfall, weekly and Vault of Glass; anything higher just adds a little bit more defense.

For Crota's End you should ideally be 31 to be effective.

This weeks nightfall is quite hard so best to do it with a full fireteam.

El'Kharn

30 is enough for nightfall, weekly and Vault of Glass; anything higher just adds a little bit more defense.

For Crota's End you should ideally be 31 to be effective.

This weeks nightfall is quite hard so best to do it with a full fireteam.

oh good, if thats the case then i''ll be looking for some people to do it

PSN Kharnzor hit me up if anyone is interested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom