• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT23| This Train is Bound for Mercury

ethomaz

Banned
How does Invective compare to Fellwinters, Matador, etc in PvP? I have one half leveled and may break it out tonight.
It is amazing due the ammo regen and kills at one shot at close range... some situations where you need to kill two or three guys near you it shows how a fast RoF destroy... you can kill a lot of guys without them shot you.

But it lacks in terms range... so you won't kill at mid-range like Fellwinters, Matador, etc.

For a shotty build in PVP these with more range is a better option than Invective.

Can you only open the Wolves chest once now? No more leaving the area and returning?
Yeap... they fixed.

Ramirez

How does Invective compare to Fellwinters, Matador, etc in PvP? I have one half leveled and may break it out tonight.

It's pretty much shit compared to the new ones, but I feel like it's exactly what Shotguns should be in PVP. The range possibilities on the new ones are just stupid.

Zocano

I'm not sure how to articulate it, but I just don't think Destiny is built for it.

I wouldn't be opposed to trying it, but as the sentiment goes you start moving away from "Destiny" when those changes come into play.

Everything checks and balances each other.

Mmmm. Yah I understand what you're getting at. I've just personally never thought power weapons on spawn was a good idea but I've consistently approached the game from a Halo player's mindset. The TTK is much lower though and standard weapons end up competing decently with power weapons right off the bat.

I think they headed in the right direction with increasing the spawn timers on special ammo, it definitely feels less plentiful now but people who keep track of it almost never run out, either. Maybe decreasing the amount of ammo you get perk pack would help but like you said there is definitely a balance between heavies/supers/specials

Yep, patched out in 1.2.0.2. RIP in peace, sparrow races.

vader.jpg

SheHateMe

*looks around nervously*

...okay. I'm getting the itch to play again.

Last I left off, I was stuck at 27 and burnt out. This was right before the first expansion.

I stopped playing. The Dark Below AND House Of Wolves dropped.

But I picked it back up this past weekend and I'm now 29. I haven't done VoG or PoE or anything like that.

As someone who played a lot in the beginning and is now coming back to it, any tips or suggestions for me?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Thorn's worse.
And the Thorn bounty process is irrelevant.
My point is that "perfect shotguns" are so easy to get that basically everyone here as a perfect Matador/Fellwinters. That's probably the case for all people playing the "end game" PVP. There is basically no reason to use any other shotgun with any other set of perks.

Im trying out my newly leveled 365 matador now. Its all im using. Just take a few detours every now and then, and you wont have to fire anything but your shotgun.

Shouldn't be like that.
Yeah, they made the drops less frequent, but it doesn't really seem to have changed the flow too much.

SkylineRKR

Looks good, handles well, shoots fast. I love it. Ammo regen is actually useful on PvP now.

It doesn't have shot package and will be defeated by those others at some range. But Invective is nice and a bit how shotguns should be.

I don't think the Thorn bounty is relevant to balance, but blink shotgunning is everywhere in IB and it's much worse than the Thorn in my experience. The more nerfs to primaries, the more we are going to see blink shotgunning. It's obnoxious and the biggest issue with (6v6) PvP in this game.

The problem with Blink isn't due to Blink itself, I think, but due to map design having so many relatively closed areas. But maps need to have a few of those areas in order not to be dominated by long range weapons and close quarters combat is generally preferred by console FPS players as they like run and gun play.

The best way to address it without completely alienating one type of player or another is having strong mid-range weapons. I think Pulse and ARs should occupy that weapon space but Pulses still need to be the "right kind" of Pulses to do that and ARs are too weak to be effective at mid-range.

It's a separate issue to the Thorn and not an either/or situation. They both need to be addressed in a larger overall balance pass. Zoba's earlier suggestions on what needs to change were, for the most part, a good place to start and then give it a few months to see what if anything else needs to be adjusted from there.

vctor182

If your point is that Thorn users have skill because they completed the bounty as opposed to shotgun users....you must be ignoring the fact that most people will use a Void shotgun to get the bounty. Cmon. It's not a challenge at all for anyone remotely interested in PvP, it'll just take longer for below average players.doubt anyone here hasn't been able to.

My point was that firehawk mentioned that shotguns are the most broken weapons of the game, which is true since you can get them freely, no bounties, no skill, just re-rolling luck and bam! 1 HKO

ethomaz

Banned
I need to do this activity when I get my TV back...

1x PoE 35 (Warlock Master)

While that I will do these on my Vita....

3x Weekly Strike
3x Daily Crucible for Coins

And I need to start the IB HYPE TRAIN to get all the items I need for my three chars ;)

phen0m24

*looks around nervously*

Last I left off, I was stuck at 27 and burnt out. This was right before the first expansion.

But I picked it back up this past weekend and I'm now 29. I haven't done VoG or PoE or anything like that.

As someone who played a lot in the beginning and is now coming back to it, any tips or suggestions for me?

You might want to check the first page of the OT as there are a lot of good links and such. At 29 you're really close to running the Crota's End raid, but really you could be doing vanguard and/or crucible rank up to buy vendor gear which would get you to 32.

Do those bounties, do those weeklies/nightfalls, and see if you can sneak into a Crota's End normal maybe for gear without having to buy it.

doomquake

3x Weekly Strike

And I need to start the IB HYPE TRAIN to get all the items I need for my three chars ;)
Strike on a vita? Damn.. Mine would be flying through the window.

Zocano

nerf thorn dot so it can't kill, only the impact can

i'll take my check bungie

I've always thought a good way to deal with Thorn would be to reduce its raw damage but increase how long the poison stays on you considerably. Makes it more like a way to keep people damaged and unable to recover over a period of time instead of just another strong handcannon.

stb

Aside from specific tactical/prescriptive things, I'd even have some respect for a rigid, methodical tweaking regimen.

It'd be interesting to see what would happen if they made an effort to standardize TTK to the current high end edit: fastest by increasing, say, impact (single variable), then ssssllloowwwwllly tweak one other variable at a time until TTKs get back toward the pre-process median.

I'm not saying that's the right methodology, I'm saying its *a* methodology, which is leaps and bounds beyond "we're seeing an inordinate number of kills by ARs in a mode that we have a bounty in for killing people with ARs, so we're nerfing them across the board! A-doyyyy durrrr, duhhhhh, doyyyy!".

They need to be tweaking one knob at a time, observing results, and tweaking a knob, not breaking them off or cranking them to 11.

ethomaz

Banned
The only Thorn issue is the range...

The high range HC needs to stay with Hawkmoon.

They need to drop a bit the range of Thorn... it needs to be ahead TLW but below Hawkmoon.

That is how I see it... the DoT needs to stay.

I've always thought a good way to deal with Thorn would be to reduce its raw damage but increase how long the poison stays on you considerably. Makes it more like a way to keep people damaged and unable to recover over a period of time instead of just another strong handcannon.

I agree. The DoT is what makes it unique. To make that more useful, let the dot hang out longer OR make the dot stronger and have the initial damage be weaker. Then it becomes an HC that you use to dot up enemies leaving them to be weak for your teamates or a follow up from your special weapon.

I think that Bungie will eventually nerf the Thorn because that's what they do.

I just hope that it isn't a general handcannon nerf in PVP and PVP. That's just lazy.

Zocano

I agree. The DoT is what makes it unique. To make that more useful, let the dot hang out longer OR make the dot stronger and have the initial damage be weaker. Then it becomes an HC that you use to dot up enemies leaving them to be weak for your teamates or a follow up from your special weapon.

Exactly this, yes.

Born2Live

3x Weekly Strike

I'll join you for PoE 35 when your ready.

Ty_84

SheHateMe

You might want to check the first page of the OT as there are a lot of good links and such. At 29 you're really close to running the Crota's End raid, but really you could be doing vanguard and/or crucible rank up to buy vendor gear which would get you to 32.

Do those bounties, do those weeklies/nightfalls, and see if you can sneak into a Crota's End normal maybe for gear without having to buy it.

Thank you!

I'll read as much as I can and try to do as much as possible. I have a 3 day weekend ahead of me, so I'll be playing as much as possible.

could go both ways. if you do it this way, itll be a great suppression and team shot weapon but not something youd be terribly effective with in a 1v1

itll still dominate 6v6 in that case. TLW will be the preferred 3v3 weapon instead

firehawk12

Subete no aware
*looks around nervously*

If you are just looking to get to the end game as soon as possible, you want to get enough marks to buy armor that lets you get to 32, then run PoE 32 to get to get armor cores to get to 34. If you have one character, this can take a couple of weeks.

If you do Iron Banner this week and can get to rank 5, you could buy the glove and boots, then buy a chest piece with marks, then ascend an exotic helmet and you will be at level 32. You could also buy the two etheric light you would get from IB to ascend two of the armor pieces and get to level 33, which would let you do PoE 34 and get a third etheric light, which would then take you to 34 and the level cap.

But anyway, once you get to 32 (or 34), you can go back to do the old raids for the unique weapons, but you'll want to basically just run the Nightfall, Weekly, and 3 versions of PoE each week. And that's the game for the next few months until they add something else to grind for. lol

Mindlog

*looks around nervously*

Tuesdays are the best days to ask help for any event. That's when the most people are looking to clear stuff. Right now many are trying to grind out Iron Banner :]
Sign up for Hawkian events when you can. He puts on a good show helping out new players with all of the content available.
The OP has a lot of great guides as well.

3x Weekly Strike

I'm in for PoE 35. psn kortez1981. you're already on my list.

Maybe Deej will stop by again if when I make the TLord post, since it's his faveoirte exotic. Totally possible.

@Kor: bungie made the comments about not wanting to have game modes like CTF that put importance on one person in one of their ride along twitch streams. Can't remember which one, there was a B.net thread that compiled a list of interesting quotes from the ride alongs which I might be able to dig up later.

Destiny |OT24| Nerf Herders

But are they scruffy? If bungie actually nerfs stuff this would be a good possibility, haha.

Top Bottom