• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT23| This Train is Bound for Mercury

spyder_ur

I think I might pull out Messenger or Scholar and play the range game for Widows Court.

Maybe I'll finally Ascend VoC.

Ugh. Anxiety building. Can't wait to get home and give it a run.

I would say that's right but then I'm not positive that those are even better ranged options than Thorn or Hawkmoon. This seems like a tag an enemy with Thorn and then move up a bit type of map.

Ramirez

Bungie should alternate IB and Trials on weekends, having both up means all the casual PVPers are just gonna give up on Trials and stick with IB. I think Trials is just gonna be brutal this weekend for anyone who is not super good.

Trials is like the only thing I look forward to in this game, making me wait another week so IB can have a weekend to itself? Ew.

harrytang

With good map control you can effectively make the enemy be where you want them to be, avoid or engage because you are aware "how encounters play out" in certain situations.

A good player with good map control is a great player, a great player with no map knowledge is a headless chicken. You don't know where to look, you don't know where the snipers can be, you don't know how to flush out people who hide or how to hole up people in one area etc etc.

true. hate every new mp in fps because map knowledge is non existent. feel exactly like a headless chicken. this a good map, but only played it with control. not sure how it feels in ToO.

ocean

Banned
Are the Iron Banner rewards really any good? I tend to not be the best judge of loot, but all the weapons and gear look pretty plain. I am surprised that so many people are going at it with such enthusiasm.

Now that you can re-roll almost any gear, it seems like there's hardly any point in the IB weapons.
Some of the drops are uniquely attractive. Efreideet's Spear is insanely high impact l, more so than any re rollable Vendor sniper having one with Field Scout in each element is a huge asset to your PvE load outs.

The shotgun, Felwinter's Lie, is infamous for its ridiculous impact. There are some new randomly dropped contenders like the Matador but a properly rolled Felwinter's is a beautiful sight.

The Scout Rifle used to be amazing because the stock roll was Outlaw+Firefly on a high impact type. Unique in that regard. That work combo is now impossible so it's just a nice high impact scout.

The Rocket Launcher is also great in that it has Admonisher-level blast radius without sacrificing so much velocity. Rolled to the right perks it can handily outclass Vendor RLs.

The Hand Cannon fires too slow, Auto Rifle and Pulse don't have enough impact imo. Never used the Fusion so I can't comment on it.

Overall, they're great weapons and worth owning.

spyder_ur

Ha, just got my name called in the Nightly stream. Didn't know he was just randomly picking viewers. Passed up because I am technically on the clock and was hoping to give it to someone who hasn't been.

Ramirez

Yes, everyone go Scouts, and please report back with how easy you find the games to be.

lol

It's not like the map is a completely flat wasteland, there are more than enough routes for your average Thorn user to still get in perfectly good range and throw your Scout into the shitter just like every other map.

border

Rank 3 and Rank 5 get you an etheric light.

Those are very rare and extremely useful.

Iron Banner just seems like a massive time investment for a measly 2 Etheric Light. That's hours and hours of Crucible grinding for what you can get in two hourlong Prison34 runs.

Rubenov

Yes, everyone go Scouts, and please report back with how easy you find the games to be.

lol

It's not like the map is a completely flat wasteland, there are more than enough routes for your average Thorn user to still get in perfectly good range and throw your Scout into the shitter just like every other map.
Having the weapons better suited for the map does not translate into easy games. Someone who is bad at PvP will likely still be bad, and the oppossite is true. Still, the large open spaces makes this the only map in the game in which I use a scout rifle to great success.

Iron Banner just seems like a massive time investment for a measly 2 Etheric Light. That's hours and hours of Crucible grinding for what you can get in two hourlong Prison34 runs.

It is, not worth the grinding just for that. I did it for the cosmetic item and try to do the glitch the next IB

Need one more for ToO. Just need one more win for armor and already at 2 losses

PSN: joshcbrugby

side note: I just got my invitation to the Playstation E3 press conference! :)

Ramirez

Having the weapons better suited for the map does not translate into easy games. Someone who is bad at PvP will likely still be bad, and the oppossite is true. Still, the large open spaces makes this the only map in the game in which I use a scout rifle to great success.

From what I've observed here, you're a good player. Telling an average player to take out his Scout is only going to end in frustration and tears though, all I was saying.

You're 4-0 doing great. Keep it up.

I think the key to this map is to stick together and let the enemies split up.

Yeah, its almost impossible to employ good flanking tactics here, so staying more huddled up is your best bet, as far as I can tell.

One thing is for sure, there won't be any easy carries this week (again).

Went 6-0, gonna watch some football first and then try to get to Mercury.

ocean

Banned
So I went to the reef to get my ToO boons and only one was showing up (start with a win). Mercy and the other one just weren't there. Bought the start your card with a win boon and there's no boons to be bought. anyone know why?

LiK

Play on the weekend with the higher buff and equip all IB stuff to increase XP and you'll get it pretty quickly. Besides, when playing with a good team, it's fun and doesn't feel like a grind at all.

spyder_ur

So I went to the reef to get my ToO boons and only one was showing up (start with a win). Mercy and the other one just weren't there. Bought the start your card with a win boon and there's no boons to be bought. anyone know why?

Something similar happened to me. Did you maybe discard your final passage last week instead of completing it? That's when I saw it happen.

You may already have them activated from last week. Look under the nightfall bonus indicator.

Top Bottom