• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT23| This Train is Bound for Mercury

lt519

Thanks for all the feedback, I really appreciate it. My void setup is as follows:

• 331 Word of Crota
  • 365 LDR 5001 with High Caliber Rounds
  • 365 Truth
  • 300 Corrective Measure
  • 331 Wolves' Bane with High Caliber Rounds

I'm out of Etheric Light at the moment, so upgrading anything else isn't happening (and I'm not a great PvP player, so I don't want to drag anyone down by asking to be on their IB train). If I can find some folks to help, I may try again tonight. That's asking a lot, especially if folks have done it already.

You've got more than enough to be a contributing member of a Skolas take down, if not even carry people with weaker weapons. I'd run LDR and Truth personally even if you had the others ascended. Are you guys using a Titan at all? Sounds like your buddies might not be pulling their weight.

Deku Tree

Is there a reason Titans use their fists of havoc randomly on one guy even if they're not in danger? This happens a lot in crucible and I quote don't understand it. They just run up to me and use it. For no reason. A shotgun would have easily done the job.
It's just weird. And a waste.

Fist of Panic lol.

Is there a reason Titans use their fists of havoc randomly on one guy even if they're not in danger? This happens a lot in crucible and I quote don't understand it. They just run up to me and use it. For no reason. A shotgun would have easily done the job.

Fist of Panic, better Titans don't waste it on one person. Of course, it all depends on the situation though.

Some times we hold on to our supers too long, and we just have to force ourselves to use them for an easy kill/orb creation.

Not a waste, just could be used better.

exYle

Anybody up for a Trials run? Me and my friend are just looking to get the gauntlets. Starting in maybe half an hour.

Is it just me or do some of you get nervous/psyched out when playing with really good AAA Trials teams.

I swear when I play with guys like Unstable, Rubenov, Zewone I fucking fall apart during certain matches. I think it's the pressure of being on a good team and not wanting to fuck up their potential 9-0 lol.
It's FAR from being just you. And Ruben is always judging you (the royal you/us.)

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member

I have res'd a guy a in trials, and right out of res, he panic smashed because he saw me get hit by a thorn. Panic smashing is a terrible habbit. A good titan uses it to counter supers because if there is one thing that it does good, is countering supers.... and wiping a whole team.

P44

Edit: oh crap I'm on top. Ummm...

ib0MhCVqhqacam.gif

Remember how epic this looked?

Well I run a high intellect build, so I shit supers. If I'm using something like bad juju and some of my raid gear, my super uptime is silly.

Also, whats up with this thing about getting worried about being top post on a page? Seen it a few times and its baffling to me.

Some times we hold on to our supers too long, and we just have to force ourselves to use them for an easy kill/orb creation.

Not a waste, just could be used better.

Last night I was playing IB with GAFers, it seemed every time I tried to nova bomb a group at a control point, someone else would super them first, and I'd waste mine.

So I just started using it on solo dudes when I knew no one else was running with me. Not ideal, but better than my first 3 nova bombs netting 0 kills.

P44

Last night I was playing IB with GAFers, it seemed every time I tried to nova bomb a group at a control point, someone else would super them first, and I'd waste mine.

So I just started using it on solo dudes when I knew no one else was running with me. Not ideal, but better than my first 3 nova bombs netting 0 kills.

Yeah, some get "savethepotions-itis" with supers. If you're constantly waiting for that multikill, you'll miss a string of kills along the way.

This may have been asked before, but I JUST finally got a Gjallarhorn, and my friends want to try to G-Horn the buhjeezus out of Skolas. Is this a viable strat with Void burn? I kind of don't think it will work well, but what do I know? We would all be 34's with maxed Gjallarhorns...

ExVicis

Looking for a Trials group if there are any spots. I will admit
it's my first time...whoever is willing to take me be gentle.

phen0m24

It always takes me a few games to get my nerves out when playing with GAFers. But then I usually end up playing really well once we gel.
Playing IB with Grim and Akai and Phantom and Co I try to get them laughing.

If they laugh maybe they'll ignore my score

Hoodbury

I do that every once in awhile. Sometimes I am sitting on my super for so long I just want to get it done with so I can build up my next one and stop obsessing over getting a huge multi-kill that just isn't presenting itself. Getting 1 kill is better than nothing and you always have the hope maybe there is a second close by you might pick up as well.

Or depending on how the match is going and it's almost over and you are winning by enough you just use it to use it before the match is up. Or on the other hand if you are getting massacred and just can't seem to kill anyone, you do it as a desperate 1 kill at least.

And also, I know some people think it's an automatic 4+ kill all the time at flags, it really isn't. That doesn't happen all that often and most times if there are 3 or more guys together they can kill you before you can get close enough to pull it off, even with the perk that makes you tougher to kill with it.

Yeah, some get "savethepotions-itis" with supers. If you're constantly waiting for that multikill, you'll miss a string of kills along the way.

Exactly. The only super that is wasted is one where you literally get no kills from it, and even then, you could argue pschological warfare.

We played a Trials Game yesterday where my wife accidentally popped her Radiance before she had even died. But she was the only one alive. Somehow she scared the entire other team away far enough that she could rez both me and our other teammate.

We won the round. She got no kills.

Everyone has such different play styles too, so it's a matter of learning how your team plays together and what to do/where to go.

Most groups I've played with like to stick together and hang back safely, some teams I've played with split up and have one guy flank, and some other teams are very aggressive and go right into the battle. I've seen all these tactics work, and it seems like it's just a matter of executing all of them at the right time and place.

Either way, it's good to see it all, and then pickup on all the good stuff :D

Last night though I had a few of my worst ToO matches by far. I was playing so terribly it was embarrassing, to the point where Zocano just starting fucking yelling at me lol. I scrubbed it up so damn hard.
We lost that one match against those scrubs just because their playstyle didn't make any damn sense.

You've got more than enough to be a contributing member of a Skolas take down, if not even carry people with weaker weapons. I'd run LDR and Truth personally even if you had the others ascended. Are you guys using a Titan at all? Sounds like your buddies might not be pulling their weight.
I was running Titan with Weapons of Light/Bastion at the start, and as we got more and more frustrated, turned to Blessing of Light for the extra shield.

I was the Titan running Weapons of Light/Bastion and then later as we we getting frustrated, switched to Blessing of Light. Here's our game history, Mindlog and silvertongueBR came it to pitch hit for me an Tick221 once we got frustrated and left. I know I died the most, but actually had some dumb deaths before we even got to Skolas. I think it came down to a few things judging by what I've read this morning:

- we didn't have enough of a preconceived game plan and got frustrated as we tried different tactics
- we had one player that couldn't use a mic, though he could hear us. It wasn't as big of an issue as I thought it was going to be, but not being able to hear from 1/3 of your team can only lead to communication problems
- we died too far apart from one another

P44

Exactly. The only super that is wasted is one where you literally get no kills from it, and even then, you could argue pschological warfare.

We played a Trials Game yesterday where my wife accidentally popped her Radiance before she had even died. But she was the only one alive. Somehow she scared the entire other team away far enough that she could rez both me and our other teammate.

We won the round. She got no kills.

I half joke about that to my housemate when I super randomly on a guy.

"Why?"

"Send a message. I've supered for less."

Edit: oh crap I'm on top. Ummm...

ib0MhCVqhqacam.gif

Remember how epic this looked?

I like the shiny lights and the boom

lt519

- we didn't have enough of a preconceived game plan and got frustrated as we tried different tactics

That is one of the biggest things, if you don't have everyone all in on the gameplan it won't work. 3 people thinking it should be done different ways isn't going to happen. As far as staying alive in the beginning make sure you are landing headshots with a 365 weapon, it should stun him and then he won't fire rockets. If he gets a round of rockets off step back into the bubble and let them splash first. The three teammates should have a designated side of the bubble to poke out of, someone left, someone right and someone front. The best at staying alive should be up front (preferably with an unflinching sniper). Don't be afraid at running add control instead of damaging him once the adds spawn. Those shanks can surprisingly do a lot of damage and a captain will come out of the right tunnels. Pop a quick rocket on the captian and punch the shanks as they come through the bubble (helm of saint 14 can be a godsend). Add control is just as important if you extend the fight beyond the initial burn.

If you are starting from scratch some groups actually start sniping him while the servitor is being killed so he is stun locked really far away. Sprint to the servitor too, that first part needs to be done quick.

I might not be home until like 10pm est, tonight but I can try and help.

I would also definitely stick to Weapons with the additional bonus damage. With three people firing it piles up fast. Focus on stunning him further away.

Mindlog

Yeah, Truth really wasn't cutting it, and I used my LDR more than anything. I may try Gjallarhorn next time if I can find some people to help.
Truth is fantastic for clearing out adds and chip damage. It's definitely not what takes Skolas down, but being able to put out damage without exposing yourself is very handy. Clutch in clearing out adds shooting at the center mine to protect a teammate.
I never ended using my CM, Truth is helpful with the add control while trying to heal up. But I think we both hit the big points, move around circularly, and make sure to always revive when possible and handle the essence well. Also nailed it with the not jumping.
Agreed all around.
Is it just me or do some of you get nervous/psyched out when playing with really good AAA Trials teams.

I swear when I play with guys like Unstable, Rubenov, Zewone I fucking fall apart during certain matches. I think it's the pressure of being on a good team and not wanting to fuck up their potential 9-0 lol.
It has the opposite effect on me. The first time I did Trials on a train it felt like all the pressure was off and I just attacked the flank as aggressively as possible. It was a race to get kills. If we lost it was their fault. We didn't lose. We didn't come close to losing. I can't say much about my shooting, but my map movement was on point.

That is one of the biggest things, if you don't have everyone all in on the gameplan it won't work. 3 people thinking it should be done different ways isn't going to happen. As far as staying alive in the beginning make sure you are landing headshots with a 365 weapon, it should stun him and then he won't fire rockets. If he gets a round of rockets off step back into the bubble and let them splash first. The three teammates should have a designated side of the bubble to poke out of, someone left, someone right and someone front. The best at staying alive should be up front (preferably with an unflinching sniper). Don't be afraid at running add control instead of damaging him once the adds spawn. Those shanks can surprisingly do a lot of damage and a captain will come out of the right tunnels. Pop a quick rocket on the captian and punch the shanks as they come through the bubble (helm of saint 14 can be a godsend). Add control is just as important if you extend the fight beyond the initial burn.

If you are starting from scratch some groups actually start sniping him while the servitor is being killed so he is stun locked really far away. Sprint to the servitor too, that first part needs to be done quick.

I might not be home until like 10pm est, tonight but I can try and help.

I would also definitely stick to Weapons with the additional bonus damage. With three people firing it piles up fast. Focus on stunning him further away.

Truth is fantastic for clearing out adds and chip damage. It's definitely not what takes Skolas down, but being able to put out damage without exposing yourself is very handy. Clutch in clearing out adds shooting at the center mine to protect a teammate.
Agreed all around.
Okay, now I'm wanting to accomplish this tonight. Not sure if it's a good or bad thing, but whatever. Thanks for all the responses!

Top Bottom