• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT23| This Train is Bound for Mercury

Frostburn

Looking to do at least one Nightfall, anyone still need? I like to get it out of the way before doing anything else for the extra rep gains :)

lt519

I found out pretty quick about the middle thing. I guess I should level up my newly acquired Hawkmoon pretty quick. I want to use my etheric light to level up, so I'm stuck with a 300 fatebringer for awhile, but I know I could do more damage with the HM.

It seemed like I was doing decent damage against the boss with my fully leveled Ice Breaker, but I found more situations where I could have used a shotgun instead. Especially with our team all huddled in one spot where the adds would appear in close quarters.

I'm glad you said the thing about using your heavy on the adds. I did that a couple of times, and it gave us more breathing room than simply knocking off another sliver off the boss's health.

Your 300 weapon isn't doing max damage against a 32 I'd use hawk. If your team is running shotgun and add are reaching then they aren't doing a good job. Maybe you aren't the one to blame. Try helping with a rocket launcher for crowd control, I'll post a video in a second, try taking my role in it. I had practically the same load.

https://youtu.be/Dp_1mgAGI98

Fehyd

Banned
Well then why do you need etheric light ? The only content that requires level 34 is PoE and since even if you get an Etheric light to level up you won't be able to play PoE since according to you, you lack the gear needed to do so. In which case aren't you better off running old content to get those gear ? Those old gear is what everyone used to beat the new content afterall.

And what kind of gear exactly? If it's just a Gjallarhorn then you aren't the only one without it. I got my first just 2 weeks ago after like 700 hours of game time. All Gjallarhorn does is make things easy mode lol

I basically returned to the game and ground out vanguard gear to hit 32. Only ended up running Vog once, and just recently did Crota with a newbies group here with hawk. As a returning player who missed most of crota it isn't exactly easy to jump right in.

In addition my circle of online friends has eithet left the game or left me, so I've been trying to get groups here.

Looking to do PoE 32.
PSN: Outlaw_Omega

Got a vanguard fusion rifle from nightfall and a mote of light from the resultant Dead Orbit package... please Peter Stormare no more garbage... just Revenant.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Hooray resets. I finished my exotic gloves and got the PoE helm and I'm finally 33, about halfway to 34.

ethomaz

Banned
Let us know how Corrective Measure goes, I expect the same DPS output as Thunderlord last week (if not more with the 100 clip magazine). I'll probably bring a Praedyth's which is disappointing since it won't do as much damage as my LDR.
Well you can shot 6 times while the LDR did 2 or 3.

Damage with Weapon of Light.

LDR: ~8.7k
Praedyth: ~5.3k

ocean

Banned
Help me get better at PoE (please).

I play casually, but I have some extra time to play this week thanks to an emergency appendectomy. I consider myself self-sufficient, and had no problem in doing Nightfall and Weekly's with all three of my characters.

Then I tried PoE lvl 32 with some experienced guys. The bosses knocked me on my ass. The leader explained how the jailbreak system works, and was patient, and we eventually overcame, but the experience left me feeling like I definitely have some weak spots.

1. I don't have Gjallahorn. I think it really sucks that everyone demands this. I've put in nearly 500 hours, and don't really care if I get it, except that people will not invite me because of it. I actually wish that Bungie would make all bosses gain health when hit with wolfpack rounds for a week just to shake things up.

Still, I need a decent heavy weapon. I usually carry around a random 331 void or flame machine gun, but they weren't very helpful. Minus Gjally, what other rocket launchers can be effective against the bosses?

2. I don't have a decent shotgun. I usually go Fatebringer/VOC + Ice Breaker into most challenges, and I've become stuck on that formula. A guy on my team suggested that I switch to a shotgun for when those Axis Hobgoblins come around the corner, but I don't have anything worth a damn there. I have a bunch of shottys in my vault, sitting unleveled. Is invective any good?

Basically, I drug my team down. We beat it, but it was in spite of me, and I think it's because I've become lazy with all my gear.
Gjallarhorn is extremely good but to be honest it only significantly turns tides when you have a full team spamming it, or when margin for error is so razor thin that every extra bit counts (like Solar Skolas).

In terms of your question: high end PvE is a lot easier with a good shotgun for each element. At close range, they're the best way to deal with Majors. Those yellow bars are too tough for primaries but shotguns melt them.

Since you have Fatebringer I suppose it's fair to assume you have Found Verdict. Use it. It is your friend. Extremely solid option for any Arc Burn or against Captains, shielded knights etc.

Invective is also really good and ammo regeneration can work wonders in tight spots, Juggler or when it isn't safe to run for ammo. Those Cabal areas? Use invective on shielded Centurions and watch them die a fast death.

In general though any shotgun should do. If you want a new one just get a Judgment VI from New Monarchy, which is fantastic, and re roll until you get the element you want. You'll be happy you did.

As for rockets for bosses...eh. Gjallarhorn is an outlier but spamming rockets isn't generally the best strat against bosses. Unless it's a boss with a difficult crit spot, Snipers are usually gonna be your best friend. Ice Breaker is top-tier, along with Black Hammer. Sadly, the vendors are all selling low impact snipers which are PvP oriented. For PvE you want higher impact stuff, and you'll ideally have a high impact sniper of each element. If you don't have any old ones lying around, use your keys and hope for the Queen's sniper and re roll it into the element you're missing. Otherwise make sure you pick some up next Iron Banner when they're on sale. The Iron Banner sniper with Field Scout is a superb option for PvE, I have 2 (Solar and Void - really regretted not having an Arc one for Skolas last week).

Don't mind the rocket situation too much tbh. Tip for Quadron (he's the current PoE 32 boss): stay together. The Eye will tend to come to you and Jailbreaker will be able to free you more quickly. Also, 365 Ice Breaker wrecks that detain shield. And so does Found Verdict :)

nOoblet16

I basically returned to the game and ground out vanguard gear to hit 32. Only ended up running Vog once, and just recently did Crota with a newbies group here with hawk. As a returning player who missed most of crota it isn't exactly easy to jump right in.

In addition my circle of online friends has eithet left the game or left me, so I've been trying to get groups here.

I see then, well you will need to run older content (Crota)...you don't need the armour since you can just get the vendor armour and the only thing you need is the actual Crota kill and Deathsinger for the exotic chance (The primary you get from Bridge and Abyss section of hard mode are more or less rubbish anyway).

Shito

Anyone for a 32 prison of elders...?

I'm down, sending a FR now
Thanks guys, that was a nice run!
Didn't do 34 last week, so I didn't know there 3 bosses in there: makes for an intense 32 this week! Definitely will only be running one of those per day I think... ^^

Lol of course I get a baboon error right after we finish, thanks for the run though Sploatee & Shito!
Ha! Better to have it at this moment than right in the middle of Qodron... :)

joecanada

anyone use 365 fatebringer in IB yet? I was giving it a shot the other night and it was looking decent in ToO.... it's higher rate of fire make it stand out a bit over something like the IB handcannon... that 95 impact kills you because of the slow fire rate... basically you still need 3 shots but they are 3 very slow shots.

neoism

all the vanguard and crucible weapons are a mistake. theyre nothing but trash

Okay_meme.jpg

To hit 33 though all you need is a maxed exotic (42) and 3 pieces of 36 gear no?

Once you're 33 it's game on for getting groups for 34 PoE.

As for weapons, well you're right it is hard to get good stuff. It's taken many of us hundreds of raids to get the weapons we need/want. Doing 2,3,4 raids and expecting to have all the stuff isn't going to get you anywhere in Destiny im afraid.

Taking me as an example who has been playing since launch (Didn't really like the Crota raid so plaid crucible last expansion):

- took me 86 VoG HM's to get the Vex.
- Got my first Ballerhorn 2 days ago.
- Stll don't have Fatebringer after all those VOG runs.
- Still don't have the VoG helmet.
- Got HoPF in the second week of the game (sorry Todd)

The game unfortunately requires time and patience to progress. At least things are on the up in regards to rewards.

Getting things too quickly takes the fun out of it.

Ken

Finally got that stupid 10 kill streak bounty.

Almost had it a ton of times but the worse was being at 8ish kills, fresh heavy drop, and a teammate ran in front of me as I was shooting a rocket.

anyone use 365 fatebringer in IB yet? I was giving it a shot the other night and it was looking decent in ToO.... it's higher rate of fire make it stand out a bit over something like the IB handcannon... that 95 impact kills you because of the slow fire rate... basically you still need 3 shots but they are 3 very slow shots.

Never tried FB in pvp but I am assuming it won't beat out the top 3 hand cannons.

noomi

Can you guys imagine how different all these encounters would play out if the gjallarhorn never existed....

Top Bottom