• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT24| Dances with Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the point is to make the CE worth buying, there's no way they'd do this.

The CE is worth buying because it comes with Taken King + Destiny 1 + Expansion 1 + Expansion 2 + Extras. The "extras" are within a extra $20 value for new owners (over the $60 Legendary Edition), and then that buy-in (for the extras) is increased to $40 (over the $40 Standard Edition) for those of us who have spent upwards of $90-$100 on the game already. The value proposition doesn't align at all and is insulting to year one players, in my opinion. This is talking strictly about the Digital editions that are available.

Rtas

I give up gaf, played this game since launch, 3 nightfalls a week, 3 weekly heroics 3 HM VoG and when CE released 3 of those per week too, and now POE and STILL no Gally.

And with the way that groups in LFG are now, its damn near impossible to get a group for anything without one, even with the level of experience I've got in the game and the other weapons I have, its all down to having this one Exotic Rocket launcher that continues to elude me, yet the groups of New guys I help with the Vault and Crota every week end up getting at least one in Every run.

Sigh, guess I'm just destined to never ever get this RL

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The CE is worth buying because it comes with Taken King + Destiny 1 + Expansion 1 + Expansion 2 + Extras. The "extras" are within a extra $20 value for new owners (over the $60 Legendary Edition), and then that buy-in (for the extras) is increased to $40 (over the $40 Standard Edition) for those of us who have spent upwards of $90-$100 on the game already. The value proposition doesn't align at all and is insulting to year one players, in my opinion. This is talking strictly about the Digital editions that are available.
Clearly, they think the value of the extras is 40 dollars which is what they're charging for them though. Which is the point Luke was trying to make when he was needling the interviewer.

Clearly, they think the value of the extras is 40 dollars which is what they're charging for them though. Which is the point Luke was trying to make when he was needling the interviewer.

But they aren't charging $40 for them. They are effectively charging $20 for them for new players. It only costs you $40 if you're a year-one player (because of the double-dip they expect you to do).

vctor182

I give up gaf, played this game since launch, 3 nightfalls a week, 3 weekly heroics 3 HM VoG and when CE released 3 of those per week too, and now POE and STILL no Gally.

And with the way that groups in LFG are now, its damn near impossible to get a group for anything without one, even with the level of experience I've got in the game and the other weapons I have, its all down to having this one Exotic Rocket launcher that continues to elude me, yet the groups of New guys I help with the Vault and Crota every week end up getting at least one in Every run.

Sigh, guess I'm just destined to never ever get this RL

Move on man, there's a lot more exotics to use besides Gjally. I recently started leveling up one of my Hawkmoons and I forgot how good it was for PvE! Maybe Bungie will give free gjallys to founders

firehawk12

Subete no aware
But they aren't charging $40 for them. They are effectively charging $20 for them for new players. It only costs you $40 if you're a year-one player (because of the double-dip they expect you to do).
Well, another way to look at it is that they are pricing Destiny, TDB, and HOW at 20 dollars if you buy the bundle I guess. lol

GhaleonEB

If the point is to make the CE worth buying, there's no way they'd do this.

I think that's a big part of the problem. The goal should be to have the CE entice new players to the game, rather than leverage a small slice of content to extract a lot of money from hardcore existing players. That should not have gotten out of the first marketing meeting.

The simplest way to satisfy everyone - which Deej thinks is impossible but is actually not that hard - would be to do what I said, or alternately to take up MrGreencastle's suggestion and make a digital CE that includes the taken King, plus the new digital content, for a bit more.

What's really weird is the entire idea of the packages they are putting together is to re-baseline everyone with the same set of DLC. But that philosophy has not extended to the extras in the packages, which they are slicing up into old and new players. Just...give everyone the same thing.

I hate marketing so much.

Deej:
Year One players won't get the same perks as people who buy the collector's edition. They'll get something better.

Tune in to the Weekly Update for more.

Why can't they just figure out what the hell they are putting in the editions before they start selling them? Is that so crazy? They're asking for people to get pissed off at them with this kind of practice.

I hate pre-order "culture".

Only thing I'll accept is more Vault space. Otherwise, don't even bother :p

ich00

Ugh going through the story a 4th time is so draining :( I just want my titan to be level 20 already.

When does the reef unlock? I was hoping to use an armor core for my titan to purchase a piece today and then tomorrow....

I hear ya with this. I just created a new hunter and gave up on story missions and played crucible to level 20. Didn't take nearly as long as I thought doing it that way.

The reef thing is the only problem, does anyone know if I can I get into the reef by having someone else bring me in?

rNilla

You're missing the point as you're all caught up in this stupid trendy "oh you're just so entitled" rhetoric. People don't even know what that word means any more it get's thrown around so much as a lazy argument to try and hush up legitimate complaints.

Demanding special treatment as an older player isn't entitlement? Otherwise I agree that this word is too cliched to use anymore.

Having paid $60 for Destiny and $35 for Expansions I and II I don't see how they could charge any less for Expansion III if it is as large as implied. We don't know enough yet to really judge this though. And this is the thing that should matter. Is the content worth the price of admission? Not when it was developed, not how, not what brand new players are paying, but is what you're getting worth your time and money?

As for year one players getting "screwed over," I've put hundreds and hundreds of hours into this game. I have almost played it for a year straight. This is unprecedented for me by a large margin. Although the game and its expansions have been disappointing in many ways I have certainly received my money's worth in the form of hours (not a good way to measure value but there it is) and countless memorable experiences with a great community of players in addition to being part of the zeitgeist from the beginning. Not to mention the ability to participate in events and obtain a lot of gear that is almost, if not completely, impossible for new players to obtain. That's what I paid for and that is what I have received.

Games get cheaper as time goes on. Most things do generally. I understand the apprehension when comparing what new players pay compared to older players but I don't see how this is any different than it has ever been. One year later Destiny should be cheaper. 10 months later Expansion I should be cheaper, especially since it is not quite the same experience that early players had.

Could someone jump into my game real quick just to revive me? I was doing the daily and killed the boss with a late grenade while I was dead and now the mission won't end because there's no one to revive me. :(

If someone hasn't done the daily yet it is an easy complete.
PSN bownser88

todd360

Just read the bungie defends destiny thread. Oh god the cringe. Bungie certainly isn't helping our popularity. Gaming side hates us even more now for liking destiny. They see us all as morons who will pay $80 dollars for mostly the same stuff we already own with a smile on our collective faces. Then there's people who think we're dense for spending $40 on a small expansion. We can't really make a good call on that one yet, but chances are its not going to have enough content to justify the price tag.

Just wait for Thursday everyone! Our Lord and Savior Deej won't let us down!

Could someone jump into my game real quick just to revive me? I was doing the daily and killed the boss with a late grenade while I was dead and now the mission won't end because there's no one to revive me. :(

PSN bownser88

I can help. Let me sign on. I will send you a friend request.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think that's a big part of the problem. The goal should be to have the CE entice new players to the game, rather than leverage a small slice of content to extract a lot of money from hardcore existing players. That should not have gotten out of the first marketing meeting.

The simplest way to satisfy everyone - which Deej thinks is impossible but is actually not that hard - would be to do what I said, or alternately to take up MrGreencastle's suggestion and make a digital CE that includes the taken King, plus the new digital content, for a bit more.

What's really weird is the entire idea of the packages they are putting together is to re-baseline everyone with the same set of DLC. But that philosophy has not extended to the extras in the packages, which they are slicing up into old and new players. Just...give everyone the same thing.

I hate marketing so much.

Yeah, ultimately these extra things are literally worthless - it's just up to people to try to convince the market that these things have value and limiting it to the CE is one way they can do it. It's a terrible practice, but how else do you convince people to buy this stuff? lol

Deku Tree

PSN bownser88

FR sent. Inv me.

Demanding special treatment as an older player isn't entitlement? Otherwise I agree that this word is too cliched to use anymore.

Having paid $60 for Destiny and $35 for Expansions I and II I don't see how they could charge any less for Expansion III if it is as large as implied. We don't know enough yet to really judge this though. And this is the thing that should matter. Is the content worth the price of admission? Not when it was developed, not how, now what brand new players are paying, but is what you're getting worth your time and money?

As for year one players getting "screwed over," I've put hundreds and hundreds of hours into this game. I have almost played it for a year straight. This is unprecedented for me by a large margin. Although the game and its expansions have been disappointing in many ways I have certainly received my money's worth in the form of hours (not a good way to measure value but there it is), countless memorable experiences, and a great community of players in addition to being part of the zeitgeist from the beginning. Not to mention the ability to participate in events and obtain a lot of gear that is almost, if not completely, impossible for new players to obtain. That's what I paid for and that is what I have received.

Games get cheaper as time goes on. Most things do generally. I understand the apprehension when comparing what new players pay compared to older players but I don't see how this is any different than it has ever been. One year later Destiny should be cheaper. 10 months later Expansion I should be cheaper, especially since it is not quite the same experience that early players had.

*sigh*

It's not demanding special treatment. It's demanding equal treatment.

They could make Destiny 1 free for all I care. No one is complaining about the game getting cheaper over time, that's a given. It's about how they're locking a negligibly small amount of content away for newer players behind a paywall that is asking older players to re-buy what they already have in order to receive that same new content - effectively doubling the cost of that new content for players who've already spent $90-100 on the game. I'm kinda done complaining about this here, because the issue people are having seems to be going over some people's heads. Sorry. It's fine if you're OK with how they're structuring this. That's your opinion and I respect that. But my opinion is that it's disrespectful to those who've already bought in at the standard price (which is always going to be the case to get in "early").

M3Rocket

You're missing the point as you're all caught up in this stupid trendy "oh you're just so entitled" rhetoric. People don't even know what that word means any more it get's thrown around so much as a lazy argument to try and hush up legitimate complaints. We're asking for Bungie to provide year-one players with an Edition of the Taken King (digital or not) that's pricing takes into account that we've already bought Destiny 1 and Expansion 1 & 2. Why is this so difficult for people to understand? $40 extra is ridiculous for emotes, and that's the only avenue they're providing, because it comes with content we've already purchased. The solution is obvious, make a digital guardian edition like the launch one. $90 or whatever, with TTK + Expansion 3&4. No one would be upset. We want to give our money to Bungie - this is not "entitlement" - we just want reasonable options that don't insult us as a player who has supported the game since day 1. Hell, sell the damn content as a $5-10 DLC - just don't insult us with a $40 carrot over our heads. We will see how they address these complaints this Weekly Update.

Trendy? Trendy would be to start demonizing DeeJ and Luke for decisions they probably didn't make. Or for the way they communicated those decisions to us. Or to accuse a Company of trying to "fuck over" their loyal customers.

Let's look up the word "Entitled" shall we?

Entitled: en·ti·tled
inˈtīdld,enˈtīdld/
adjective
adjective: entitled

believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.

A bunch of people think that because they are "loyal" customers or Day 1 "supporters" or whatever, thinks they deserve "special treatment (or pricing)" for a bunch of stuff that Bungie decided is/was worth $40/$20/whatever. That's entitled. That's the "value proposition" Luke refers too.

Who gets to decide what is in your own words, "$40 extra is ridiculous for emotes"? I think $2 is ridiculous for emotes. So what? Clearly, there are many (going by the "sold out" pre-orders) that seem to think that is worth it or have justified spending $40 on it for their own reasons. Read all the mostly negative comments on that Reddit thread and tell me that it isn't "entitlement."

Furthermore, this statement in and of itself is an oxymoron: "We want to give our money to Bungie - this is not "entitlement" - we just want reasonable options that don't insult us as a player who has supported the game since day 1." Really? We want to give money to Bungie for nothing? Oh wait--there's a string attached--"reasonable options." We're entitled to "reasonable options" because we are day 1 supporters?

Grinchy

Banned
Just read the bungie defends destiny thread. Oh god the cringe. Bungie certainly isn't helping our popularity. Gaming side hates us even more now for liking destiny. They see us all as morons who will pay $80 dollars for mostly the same stuff we already own with a smile on our collective faces. Then there's people who think we're dense for spending $40 on a small expansion. We can't really make a good call on that one yet, but chances are its not going to have enough content to justify the price tag.

Just wait for Thursday everyone! Our Lord and Savior Deej won't let us down!

I mean...Destiny fans really are like gerbils running on a wheel. I say that with myself included.

I know I'm being manipulated and I don't really care. The entire game is set up to become a habit. Dailies, weeklies, RNG drops, weekly caps for marks, RNG item seller every week, ect. It's all built specifically to keep us running on the same wheel, day in and day out.

If you're ok with that (and I am) then it can be a fun experience. But I personally wouldn't call most of those people wrong.

Lnkn52

I don't want to post on the gaming side, the risk of getting banned for stupidity is not in my wheel house.

In the end, props to Bungie for trying to be the first to test the waters with this console hybrid MMO. They have been far from perfect. They will surely fix this mess. If they don't, people will continue to play, some will not.

Bungie isn't the only game developer in town, there are other games out there, they would surely want your money. I just won't pre-order TK at this moment.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Trendy? Trendy would be to start demonizing DeeJ and Luke for decisions they probably didn't make. Or for the way they communicated those decisions to us. Or to accuse a Company of trying to "fuck over" their loyal customers.

Let's look up the word "Entitled" shall we?

A bunch of people think that because they are "loyal" customers or Day 1 "supporters" or whatever, thinks they deserve "special treatment (or pricing)" for a bunch of stuff that Bungie decided is/was worth $40/$20/whatever. That's entitled. That's the "value proposition" Luke refers too.

Who gets to decide what is in your own words, "$40 extra is ridiculous for emotes"? I think $2 is ridiculous for emotes. So what? Clearly, there are many (going by the "sold out" pre-orders) that seem to think that is worth it or have justified spending $40 on it for their own reasons. Read all the mostly negative comments on that Reddit thread and tell me that it isn't "entitlement."

Furthermore, this statement in and of itself is an oxymoron: "We want to give our money to Bungie - this is not "entitlement" - we just want reasonable options that don't insult us as a player who has supported the game since day 1." Really? We want to give money to Bungie for nothing? Oh wait--there's a string attached--"reasonable options." We're entitled to "reasonable options" because we are day 1 supporters?
I don't disagree with you on principle, but the flip side is that I can take my money and give it to people who are willing to accommodate my needs. It's one of the great things about capitalism.

If they made it so you could transfer your character over to PS from Xbox, they will have sold another copy. But, you can't. So, I won't.
I'm a Bungie whore. I have all the publicly available content on all four platforms except for Blacksmith and the Gamestop Sparrow on XB1. I only recently started developing my XBL Guardians in the past couple of weeks. I have a Titan with both subclasses maxed at 34 and started the Hunter last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom