• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT24| Dances with Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waldini

Since Activision has no show again this year, Sony's conference is the most likely place. Microsoft would not give it a very nice place given how important Halo 5 is to them at this year's show

O? I thought Activision was going to show this along BO3? Sony is tonight right?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
taJaJGJ.jpg

Jesus Christ this was a long ass time ago. Thanks for saving it drizzy lol

Ikkarus

My Trials experience resulted in two trips to Mercury (Solar Auto-Rifle and Arc Pulse Rifle) and one run where we went 8-1. Such a cruel fate to lose the last round 4-5.

My best advice to this map is to gear up on Shotguns and rush to the middle room straight away (Control Zone B). Literally stick in that room and hold it until the opponent either makes a push or you down 1 or 2 of them and then push them.

The only downside to this strategy is the fact you have no Special ammo packs in there, however you only need to use it when they push through.

Lima

Make Thorn a three shot headshot.

Remove the 111 damage from TLW.

Boom hand cannons are balanced for PvP. Hawkmoon relies on RNG to 2 or 1 shot someone so just leave it alone.

TheOddOne

My best advice to this map is to gear up on Shotguns and rush to the middle room straight away (Control Zone B). Literally stick in that room and hold it until the opponent either makes a push or you down 1 or 2 of them and then push them.
I did this with two very good groups and it worked everytime.

The map is still bad though.

O? I thought Activision was going to show this along BO3? Sony is tonight right?

9PM New York time, 10AM our time. COD traditionally is a Microsoft thing, but rumblings has them showing at Sony because Microsoft wants the shooter spotlight all on Halo. I am not too sure I believe that, but only a few hours left to know^^

Out 1

Boom hand cannons are balanced for PvP. Hawkmoon relies on RNG to 2 or 1 shot someone so just leave it alone.

word. also dat range and stability. honestly I'm fearing Bungie will rather nerf the whole subclass because of one gun (and TLW occasionally glitching) than fix it.

Shito

Thorn's poison shouldn't proc on the first hit. It should take two close hits to proc.
And I'm not saying that for the damage it makes, but for the information it gives the Thorn's user about what his target his doing after getting hit by it...

Jinjo

word. also dat range and stability. honestly I'm fearing Bungie will rather nerf the whole subclass because of one gun (and TLW occasionally glitching) than fix it.

And destroy any usability of the gunclass for PvE activities too. Just like they did with AR's. Those things were completely fine in PvE, but PvP destroyed them there too. :(

Back from festival this weekend. Missed a week of Destiny activities (didn't even do Nightfalls yet, might try that tonight), so glad I can play again a bit tonight. Gotta finish up that Witcher 3 sometime too though, before Batman and stuff starts hitting. Not even past Act 1 there yet.

Waldini

I really do NOT understand The Last Word and Thorn hatred.

Sure, those weapons are strong. But aren't Exotics ment to be that way? Sure, they are annoying as hell when used right. But ... so are Sniper-Shotguns ... Final Round Snipers and LAG.

Never forget what happened to the Auto-Rifles.
Booohooo! The SUROS is so strong! Please NERF! ... and now? Now it's sitting in the goddamn Vault thanks to that nerf. Don't let the same happen to Hand Cannons. Every weapon is deadly when used right. Stop complaining.

Thorn poison should stop working when you kill the other person.

This would stop the many times you've outshot a thorn user but the poison kept ticking and killed you after.

Well, this was a weekend of firsts. Beat Skolas for the first time last friday (and didn't get the ship or any elemental primaries), proceeded to play ToO for the first time since trying a couple of matches on the first weekend and managed to get 5 wins and snag the helmet on the first passage, and took a second passage to 4-0. Which is going to waste since I doubt I'll manage to play today...

Shito

Sure, those weapons are strong. But aren't Exotics ment to be that way? Sure, they are annoying as hell when used right. But ... so are Sniper-Shotguns ... Final Round Snipers and LAG.
I don't think there is much TLW hatred: it's a really good weapon, but it requires some learning to it, and it's not good at all the ranges.
Thorn, on the other hand, is good at all the ranges, can win battles with snipers, and kill with two hits. And if you miss the second hit, you have a marker on your target showing you how they react.
I'd say TLW and Hawkmoon are fine, Thorn needs a (slight) nerf, and other weapon types need buffs. :)

Yes, but they're primaries. When everyone in Trials is running one or the other, you know they're not balanced relative to the sandbox in general.

Pretty much how I feel.

Thorn really just needs an impact nerf and maybe exchange Send It for something else.

I know Bungie is gonna overdo it though.

GutZ31

Never forget what happened to the Auto-Rifles.
Booohooo! The SUROS is so strong! Please NERF! ... and now? Now it's sitting in the goddamn Vault thanks to that nerf. Don't let the same happen to Hand Cannons. Every weapon is deadly when used right. Stop complaining.

I jokingly went into a crucible match with the nechrocasm fulling thinking that I would be slaughtered.
I ended up going 21kills-3deaths.

Only 3 kills were with rockets, and that was after laughing my ass off, stopping the other team from grabbing heavy ammo.
I still think auto rifles need retweaking, and I really think nechrocasm needs a larger mag.
What I have found most troubling is that the most effective range for most auto rifles is now felwinter lies/matador/party crasher+1 domain.

Auto rifle needs a better lease on life than this. We had so much fun with them in the alpha and beta.

Thorn poison should stop working when you kill the other person.

This would stop the many times you've outshot a thorn user but the poison kept ticking and killed you after.

Its called Mark of the Devourer.
Why didn't they make it similar to Red Death, in that it heals the user as it sucks the life out of the other player.
have its effects nullify when the user dies, and lower the overhead damage by 1.7%.

Also, force it to give less health than it takes.
So if its 7 in PVP, the received health should be like 5 or 3.

HMD

It's awesome to be excited about E3 again, 2014 was a huge disappointment and I wasn't even expecting much, Taken King + Kingdom Hearts 3 gameplay would make this E3 one of the best for me.

Also does anyone have a countdown to the scheduled Bungie stream/reveal? one of those gaf blue countdowns would be cool.

HMD

Having guns with unpredictable damage outputs is ridiculous, all those cry's to nerf thorn have to acknowledge that it's at least consistent, and you know how to deal with it, but TLW and Hawkmoon are broken, you never know if you have the upper hand or not, there's no strategy or tactics against luck/glitches, TLW bonus damage should not proc for crits and Hawkmoon's luck in the chamber should be more consistent, like once every 3 shots or something, or at least have the lucky bullet make a distinct sound when fired.

Ken

I wouldn't mind seeing Thorn dots (and all burning abilities really) only able to apply on unshielded opponents. Should lessen the DPS a little bit and actually make shields matter like in Halo.

Guess that'd nerf ToF/VF Firebolts too but SS already have a strong kit.

Waldini

Can we balance shotguns too please?

Shotguns are fine. They still require "some" skill. Not everyone can be a beast with them.

I'm perfectly fine with TLW and Thorn. I kill and get killed by it. If a nerf is coming ... you just know Bungie is going to overdo it and make them worthless. Everyone will be running around with Plan-C or other Fusion Rifles. When that happens ... everyone will complain about Fusion Rifles

The only change I'd like to see for Thorn is to remove the damage indicator. Show that the "devourer" perk is in effect but dont show the damage done. The "tracking" just needs to go.

GutZ31

I wouldn't mind seeing Thorn dots (and all burning abilities really) only able to apply on unshielded opponents. Should lessen the DPS a little bit and actually make shields matter like in Halo.

I like this idea.
Shields really should mean more. It would also be nice if during your super ability, your shield became the element of your subclass.
Solar shield for golden gun, Void shield for Void Walker, so on.

would make for some interesting tactical play for being able to counter supers.

I think Thorn is perfectly fine as is after thinking more about it. The only reason people are complaining is because so many people use it recently. It's a unique gun.

The reason so many people use them is because the other weapons need brought up a little.

All the other hand cannons are fine too I've out gunned Thorns and TLW's with scout rifles/pulse rifles/shotguns. There's a way to deal with HC's and that's by getting in their faces with shotguns. If anything I have more trouble with Hawkmoon (which I don't have >.>)

On the other hand shotguns when specced properly have a massive range, that should be curtailed a bit.

Auto rifles need a damage and range buff.

Honestly, more people should be trying out pulse/scout rifles with a decent set up.

nOoblet16

Imo three headshot won't really nerf thorn all that much considering it rewards spamming shots. What it does need on top of that is reduced accuracy at distance, and I do mean accuracy and not range as reducing range will still mean that you can hit an enemy at range and they will get the green poo effect from being hit by Thorn, just not as much damage...but they can still go up against snipers if they don't get reduced accuracy.

Shito

Honestly, more people should be trying out pulse/scout rifles with a decent set up.
Why should they when Thorn and Hawkmoon have better range than pulse / the same range as scouts, while hitting way harder?
The problem is not about being able to kill Thorn users, I'm a crappy pvp player and I can do that as well, it's recognizing that a weapon type should have a dedicated range and that it should not make exception to this unless it has some drawbacks to it. Not only Thorn doesn't, but it adds poison to the mix.

Why should they when Thorn and Hawkmoon have better range than pulse / the same range as scouts, while hitting way harder?
The problem is not about being able to kill Thorn users, I'm a crappy pvp player and I can do that as well, it's recognizing that a weapon type should have a dedicated range and that it should not make exception to this unless it has some drawbacks to it. Not only Thorn doesn't, but it adds poison to the mix.
I dunno man. Messenger and Red Death are both incredible. I'd rather go up against Thorn than either of those.

nOoblet16

I think Thorn is perfectly fine as is after thinking more about it. The only reason people are complaining is because so many people use it recently. It's a unique gun.

The reason so many people use them is because the other weapons need brought up a little.

All the other hand cannons are fine too I've out gunned Thorns and TLW's with scout rifles/pulse rifles/shotguns. There's a way to deal with HC's and that's by getting in their faces with shotguns. If anything I have more trouble with Hawkmoon (which I don't have >.>)

On the other hand shotguns when specced properly have a massive range, that should be curtailed a bit.

Auto rifles need a damage and range buff.

Problems with Thorn:

1) High accuracy and range (higher than Hawkmoon) that allows users to shoot across the map and even engage with snipers.
2) Very high damage for high range and RoF, it does 106 total damage from one headshot...on every shot.
3) The mark of the devour perk obviously works to disorientate enemies but since it can two shot it's just a nuisance.
4) One headshot takes down almost all of your shield, after that the thorn user can body shot and easily get the kill and they will body shot considering how highly this gun rewards body shots and how easy it is.
5) The gun has ridiculous aim assist, so point 1 and point 4 becomes worse because of this.

Thorn is a gun with absolutely no real drawbacks, so no it's not perfectly fine where it is. The other gun class needs to be brought up but Thorn absolutely needs the nerf and TLW needs to be fixed so that the hip fire bonus does not work while aiming.

A good TLW user cannot be outgunned with scouts or pulse rifles, atleast not regularly and they you can't shotgun them consistently either as they will keep their distance and get you before you even manage to get in the shotgun sniping range. Hawkmoon is the most balanced out of all the Handcanons because of the RNG involved, Thorn is just way too OP as it's a gun with no real weakness. Honestly the HC in this game have way too much range and accuracy.

nOoblet16

Maybe they should just increase player health and lower the clip size on Thorn/TLW.

Low clip size on TLW will kill the weapon and it's more or less similar with Thorn. Thorn already used to have a low clip size but they buffed it to 9. TLW can be fixed by simply getting rid of the 111 crit that works while aiming when it should only work with hip fire. Thorn needs a lower accuracy and overall damage, because as it stands it does just as much amount of damage and more over time, fires almost as fast and has range and accuracy better than Hawkmoon while having ridiculously high aim assist.

Shito

I dunno man. Messenger and Red Death are both incredible. I'd rather go up against Thorn than either of those.
I don't think I've seen any in my week of IB last time.
I should level up my Red Death and give it a try, though, would make for a nice change of pace from Hawkmoon... ^^

nOoblet16

I don't think I've seen any in my week of IB last time.
I should level up my Red Death and give it a try, though, would make for a nice change of pace from Hawkmoon... ^^

Red Death is great especially against Thorn when at a distance, I find Messenger very odd as the duration between each burst feels too high to me.

I used Bad Juju almost exclusively last IB and kept getting high KDR and scores even though I'm at best average at PvP. Fires very fast and easy to land full headshot bursts. And I was making the mistake of using Armor Piercing Rounds instead of Perfect Balance at the time.

Ken

Finished my first Cipher.

Should I get
Dreg's Promise
Dreg's Promise
, or Q
Dreg's Promise

I used Bad Juju almost exclusively last IB and kept getting high KDR and scores even though I'm at best average at PvP. Fires very fast and easy to land full headshot bursts. And I was making the mistake of using Armor Piercing Rounds instead of Perfect Balance at the time.
Yeah I actually kind of dig the high rate of fire low impact pulse rifles. I have a coiled hiss with full auto and I wreck with it.
Finished my first Cipher.

Should I get
Dreg's Promise
Dreg's Promise
, or Q
Dreg's Promise
Hmmm...you might as well just throw that cipher in the trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom