• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT24| Dances with Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydruxo

OK, here are some alternate avatars.

bOicCkJ.png
YiVhwJP.png
2ZAmCQc.png

grabbed the gravity bow avatar, thanks bro!

Deku Tree

I just rebought the game for 20 bucks for ps4 on amazon. I had it for ps3 and liked it alot; though I felt the lack of content. I stopped playing because I had no friends/etc to play with online.

Is there a neogaf clan or anything that I could join? I aboslutely loathe playing with randoms as whenever I play with them, I lose any type of match/gamemode/etc more than half the time. So I'd really like to play with some competent people...

Also, should I buy the season pass or should I try and find it for cheap or something online? Does it come with anything besides just the 2 DLCs out now? Does the 3rd one come with it?

Thanks for any help.

Also, my PSN ID is Trotski7; but I won't have the game until thursday and will have to replay the base game and level my character back to 20 and all; or whatever the max is now I guess.. I think I might stick with the same class I played before, the blade dancer/golden gun class, forget the name. Is there a "better" class? I really liked that class; though I guess it was a little OP. I still found it extremely fun. Should I pick a new class?

If you didn't delete your character on PS3 then you should be able to load up Destiny on PS4 with everything you had on PS3. I do that sometimes. Send you a FR.

I heard you like follow-up questions, so I'll add a follow up question to your follow-up question.

When will we play again?

PUT THE COOKIE DOWN, DRIZZY

Will you be around tonight? I'd be down for PoEs or w/e. I feel like HoW has fractured the Fun Runners w 3-man stuff :-/ Really hard to find time to play with all you great people around here.
TAKE IT BACK TO THE CARPET COLONEL!

I took the Stormcaller. Thanks for making them!

....I have no words for your failure to grab the Void Hunter Trapper Keeper class. I just... What... Who... Why.... What....

I just rebought the game for 20 bucks for ps4 on amazon. I had it for ps3 and liked it alot; though I felt the lack of content. I stopped playing because I had no friends/etc to play with online.

Is there a neogaf clan or anything that I could join? I aboslutely loathe playing with randoms as whenever I play with them, I lose any type of match/gamemode/etc more than half the time. So I'd really like to play with some competent people...

Also, should I buy the season pass or should I try and find it for cheap or something online? Does it come with anything besides just the 2 DLCs out now? Does the 3rd one come with it?

Thanks for any help.

Also, my PSN ID is Trotski7; but I won't have the game until thursday and will have to replay the base game and level my character back to 20 and all; or whatever the max is now I guess.. I think I might stick with the same class I played before, the blade dancer/golden gun class, forget the name. Is there a "better" class? I really liked that class; though I guess it was a little OP. I still found it extremely fun. Should I pick a new class?

Welcome to DGAF. I believe you can carry over your PS3 character to the PS4 version so that will speed things up for you a bit.

There are several DGAF clans, but being part of one doesn't stop you from playing with any of the others. There are some groups who run with the same people a lot. But everyone is generally welcoming to playing with anyone from DGAF. So you will never struggle to find anyone to play with. Regardless of time zone. There are a lot of fellow EU players in here but the majority are American. But I've played with plenty of Americans at all sorts of hours. Sometimes unsociable for me. Sometimes for them! Whenever I log on to destiny I can guarantee there will be people on I can play with and I don't have a lot of people from here added yet.

As for the season pass it is completely up to you. The Dark Below raid is good fun and there are some good weapons to get from it. The House of Wolves is a much better piece of DLC on a whole imo. However I would only get them if you are enjoying the base game. You can get to 32 easily without them. It is also possible to hit the 34 level cap without them but it will take a while longer than it would if you had the house of wolves.

Anyways feel free to add me and I can give you a hand with whatever. Psn same as gaf name.

Is there a summary of what's in the Taken King expansion and why it's so expensive?

The leaked slide from October has been very accurate. So far it's only been off by 1-2 missions, but strikes and pvp maps have all been spot on.

So I think this is a safe estimate:
  • 10 Missions
    • 1 on the Moon
    • 1 on Venus
    • 3 on Mars
    • 5 on Dreadnaught
  • 4 Strikes (3 Xbox)
  • 1 Public Event
  • 1 Patrol Destination (the Dreadnaught)
  • 1 Raid
  • 6 PvP maps (5 Xbox)
  • 3 Weapon Classes

Chances are the Sidearm was 1 of the 3 Weapon Classes, but seeing as there are only 2 weapons, it's safe to assume we'll see a lot more of them come Taken King time.

Image here for anyone who hasn't seen it before.

Note: Don't bother with the "cleaner" version of this image, it's just a single guys interpretation of what he thinks the words and numbers are. For instance he confused Player Subclasses with Weapon Classes.

Edit: If you want a comparison to Launch Destiny here it is:
  • 20 Missions
    • 5 on Earth
    • 5 on the Moon
    • 5 on Venus
    • 5 on Mars
  • 6 Strikes (5 Xbox)
  • 5 Public Events
  • 4 Patrol Destinations
  • 1 Raid
  • 10 PvP maps (9 Xbox)
  • 9 Weapon Classes

Hope that helps.

OkayRene

Your previous class (Hunter) is generally regarded as the best PvP class. Titans, specifically their Defender subclass, are the best for PvE. Of course you can excel at any part of this game with any class so just play what you enjoy. Most long time players around here have one character of each class which is a lot of fun for variety.

There is a link to Ng clans in the OP along with lots of other useful links and resources. However everyone uses this OT for LFG stuff, the clans are mainly for fun and to get the two trophies. I'm not sure about the season pass. It might make more sense to wait for the Taken King stuff but I'm not positive on all the details of TTK editions and don't want to steer you wrong.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!

I've always noticed the best Crucible players running with Hunters, but never understood why?

I've always noticed the best Crucible players running with Hunters, but never understood why?

Because their supers have a duration.

You pop them ahead of time, and then you have X seconds to seek out the enemy and kill them.

Titan Fist is instant gratification, but you can whiff pretty hard with it, and it requires a risk to use.

Warlock Nova Bomb is instant as well, but without the Titan Risk component. Still, better players aren't going to group up on top of each other, so you're not going to be getting double kills with it at high level play.

Warlock Radiance is a double edged sword. Personally, I think it's amazing without the self rez, but people seem to think that self rez is the only answer. Of course, Sunsingers don't have Blink, which high level play seems to almost require for entry.

phen0m24

Oh you know I'm in. I'll be off Sat and Sunday so we'll try and figure out a time.

Boom! Sound of Titan smash lol ;)

Will you be around tonight? I'd be down for PoEs or w/e. I feel like HoW has fractured the Fun Runners w 3-man stuff :-/ Really hard to find time to play with all you great people around here.
TAKE IT BACK TO THE CARPET COLONEL!

Cool!
Who is your daddy and what does he do?

Doing normal Crota. There is room for 2. PSN is the same as my gaf name or just join up.
Did you see my reply this am? Lol

ngower

Alright, there's nothing in the immediate future coming out that interests me, so I'm looking into possibly jumping into Destiny, namely because the main game is $20 right now.

Is this game still worth is without the expansions? I *might* get them, if I find the game interesting, but I don't intend on jumping all in all at once. Just looking for some insight for a newbie.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
8:30 Eastern.
still want me?
Alright, there's nothing in the immediate future coming out that interests me, so I'm looking into possibly jumping into Destiny, namely because the main game is $20 right now.

Is this game still worth is without the expansions? I *might* get them, if I find the game interesting, but I don't intend on jumping all in all at once. Just looking for some insight for a newbie.
At $20 it's not that much of an investment to find out, haha. It depends what you're looking for. There's a massive community here especially if you play on PS4 that you can draw upon for buddies.

Raxious

Important follow up question: what class was the character you made?

Less important: what level was he/she?

You can keep playing on your old character. The best part of Destiny is the "end game" so starting a new character would just make you take longer to get to the best parts.

Some people will tell you that some classes are better than others (Titan, Warlock, Hunter) but if you like the one your playing as already then I'd say to just jump back in and start playing with your old character.

If later on you find yourself wanting to play more after you've done everything each week then maybe it's time to create a second or even a third character. In this case it's probably best to make one of each.

I thought I was a lvl 20 hunter, but like I said I haven't played in months, and in fact don't even have the game installed anymore.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
The longer I play this game, the more the lack of matchmaking stands out. Each week it seems to take longer and longer to get groups for PoE and ToO. Yes, I use LFG and the Bungie Destiny groups. It's just annoying to align console, timing, and desired activity together. That may be the straw that ends my Destiny run - not easy enough to jump into the fun content.

Ken

Because their supers have a duration.

You pop them ahead of time, and then you have X seconds to seek out the enemy and kill them.

Titan Fist is instant gratification, but you can whiff pretty hard with it, and it requires a risk to use.

Warlock Nova Bomb is instant as well, but without the Titan Risk component. Still, better players aren't going to group up on top of each other, so you're not going to be getting double kills with it at high level play.

Warlock Radiance is a double edged sword. Personally, I think it's amazing without the self rez, but people seem to think that self rez is the only answer. Of course, Sunsingers don't have Blink, which high level play seems to almost require for entry.

Worth mentioning that Nova and especially Fist are strong counters to other supers so their value increases in a mode like Elimination.

Compared to the slide, it seems like we got an extra 2 missions in HoW and the time to develop them might have been borrowed from TK expansion, as it went down from 12 to 10.

Down from 12 to 10?

Where did the 12 come from?

The extra missions were obviously an answer to the complaints from Dark Below (Only having 2 at launch).

Worth mentioning that Nova and especially Fist are strong counters to other supers so their value increases in a mode like Elimination.

Definitely.

Most objective modes change the playing field entirely. The Best Supers and Grenades change ranking depending on if we're in deathmatch or objective.

Anything that is some form of area denial (lightning grenade, vortex grenade, etc...) becomes incredibly more useful in playlists like control and salvage.

ocean

Banned
Is there a summary of what's in the Taken King expansion and why it's so expensive?
We've had two expansions so far at US$20 each. This one costs twice that - US$40.

The Taken King will add three new subclasses and a new Patrol area - neither TDB nor HoW had this.

Strikes: HoW brought 1 Strike, TDB brought 2 (1 of which is exclusive to Playstation). We know TTK will have a new exclusive PS Strike, but they haven't revealed the total number as far as I know. I think matching the the combined number of HoW and TDB Strikes should be easy, I'm expecting 3-4 Strikes.

Raid: TTK will ship with "their largest Raid ever". TDB had 1 Raid (far simpler than the original), HoW had an Arena mode.

Crucible Modes: TDB added no new modes (let's not count Inferno because really). HoW added 1 (Elimination, which is fantastic). Though they haven't revealed what new modes will come with TTK, we caught a glimpse of "Mayhem Clash" and they said they'll bring objective modes.

Crucible Maps: TDB added 3 new maps (Pantheon, The Cauldron, Skyshock). HoW added 4 new maps, one of which is PS exclusive (Timekeeper, Black Shield, Thieve's Den, Widow's Court). We know TTK will have 1 exclusive PS map, no info on total number yet. I think it's easy to match the number of TDB and HoW combined: 6-7 maps wouldn't surprise me.

Of course we'll need confirmation but I can easily see The Taken King adding more content than TDB+HoW did. A more important measure of the value proposition would be the quality of this content in my opinion. I mean the new Raid is allegedly their largest, but if it's as good as Vault of Glass, this alone would suffice to vindicate the purchase for me.

Adding a Patrol Area, PvP modes and new subclasses will really shake things up. My stance is one of cautious optimism.

An area where they can really outshine the previous two expansions is weapon variety. TDB added 4 exotic weapons, and 3 of them suck. HoW brought even less - only 3 exotic weapons (which are admittedly pretty damn cool). I'd be really disappointed if we end up getting 5-6 weapons. I really think this is one of those things that make the game interesting - having those extremely specific loudouts that work really well in one very specific situation. The more exotics with weird perks we have the more we can play around with load outs.

This ViDoc!!!

Bounty details will pop up when using the Ghost, there will be missions to get your new subclass versus simple leveling in the UI

ngower

still want me?

At $20 it's not that much of an investment to find out, haha. It depends what you're looking for. There's a massive community here especially if you play on PS4 that you can draw upon for buddies.

Right, and especially with a $5-8 trade in value, it's basically $10 to try it out, but I didn't know if the community has pretty much moved past the early game or what? And I don't really count on the friends aspect cause everyone I know lives all over the place and no one has the same schedule, so it'd be impossible to get anything regular going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom