• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT30| Long Live the King

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't used Hawkmoon in a while but i thought the whole allure of the weapon was its insane range and ability to proc lucky shots

You're more of an expert on it than I am. But, like I told the other guy, go use it in the Crucible for yourself before just relying on straight up stats or some "Crucible Playbook" website. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Aww yissss...

4InWR85.png

You're more of an expert on it than I am. But, like I told the other guy, go use it in the Crucible for yourself before just relying on straight up stats or some "Crucible Playbook" website. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Oh, absolutely. I wouldn't rely solely on stats, as you need to get a feeling for how the weapon handles in-game.

Bungie says Hand Cannons have had all these changes, but I equip the Jewel and it still feels amazing, unlike The Last Word. I used it on Frontier and was getting 3-4 shot kills across the map. I'm actually excited to hop on and play again because I want to see what I can do with the Jewel.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I haven't used Hawkmoon in a while but i thought the whole allure of the weapon was its insane range and ability to proc lucky shots.
IMO, this balance pass has removed the former and dramatically emphasized the latter with regard to its Exotic status, and I think it was intentional.

edit: Loved the Jewel before, can't wait to give it a shot now.

It's certainly not solid at long range anymore, like it used to be.

Agreed, but that is an ok nerf to me. It used to have almost scout like range. It doesn't anymore but it still has some really solid range to it. Especially on the TTK maps that tend to have a lot of mid-plus encounters.

nOoblet16

It's still great. But it's not top tier. Anybody saying its a bad weapon is wrong, but it's certainly not a top tier weapon in the competitive sense of the word.

It's not your best choice, or even among your best choices, at any range.

Long distance Pulse will murder you if a scout or sniper doesn't
Mid and Thorn 3 body with faster RoF can wreck you, and so can any decent pulse.
Close up you're in TLW/sidearm/shotgun/fusion territory.

Yep this is correct on all fronts.
Hawkmoon's only attraction was its power at range, outside of that it's like other normal handcanons (although it fires faster than otbersfor the impact it has)...it is still powerful now but it's not enough to kill people as fast as it should considering its fire rate and low aim assist.

You'll find yourself to be a lot in a situation where the enemy manages to escape or kill you while being absolute just because the damage drop off made sure that the guy didnt die.

It's still a solid gun but it has no attractive feature outside of a 13 bullet magazine now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh God. That Omolon Fusion rifle....

giphy.gif
It was trippin' me out. I would fire, but I wouldn't see any projectile then the person I was firing at would just float away lol. I never knew I got somebody until a second or so later.
Did you guys hear the sound it makes? Did you LISTEN to it?

I'm pretty much ready to pledge my body to Omolon as an indentured servant at this point.

That's awesome, but I feel like it ends too abruptly. Any chance you could make one with "My Friends..." while he's looking at the camera, and then the next line when he turns around? Then a couple of steps without text at the end?

Only if it's super easy to edit. I don't know how involved gif making can be.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
So is PoE harder, easier or same since 2.0 changes? I have never run PoE once, but that stupid Moments of Triumph thing is incomplete and taunting me. Is it hopeless to try to run it now? I played the shit out for Destiny right up until HoW launched and haven't touched it until this Tuesday, but now want to finally play the HoW content I already paid for.

I did my first playthrough on PoE 35 the other night and its not really hard at all just need to communicate with the other players especially in the final round against Skolas since it isn't just killing him.

So what's the consensus on TLW and Hawkmoon then? Do you guys think we'll see these get slight buffs in the future, or are they doomed to irrelevancy from now on?

It'd be a damn shame if so. Thorn is "balanced" and still has its niche, but the other two are almost effectively obsolete at this point.

Tovarisc

Somehow I feel like this is going to upset people who thought it was PvE only, lol

I just hope they aren't something retarded like "Get 6 kills while Radiance is active, during single Radiance" because how badly kills tends to register as super kills with that thing.

Aww yissss...

Is that Phantom super rare or something? Friend lost his shit when I got that yesterday.

Edit: Edit to show more tarded variant that I hope isn't a thing :D

I enabled rest mode again yesterday to download the patch and the "Discover: Power Options" notification is back everytime I boot the system. It's driving me nuts.

So what's the consensus on TLW and Hawkmoon then? Do you guys think we'll see these get slight buffs in the future, or are they doomed to irrelevancy from now on?

It'd be a damn shame if so. Thorn is "balanced" and still has its niche, but the other two are almost effectively obsolete at this point.

Knowing a little something about the 'first rule' of stuff...

The first rule of Destiny is that nerf today, buff tomorrow. Nerf later.

Oh, absolutely. I wouldn't rely solely on stats, as you need to get a feeling for how the weapon handles in-game.

Bungie says Hand Cannons have had all these changes, but I equip the Jewel and it still feels amazing, unlike The Last Word. I used it on Frontier and was getting 3-4 shot kills across the map. I'm actually excited to hop on and play again because I want to see what I can do with the Jewel.

Yup. Outside of TLW, I haven't noticed too much to be honest. Thorn DoT seems to affect targets differently but the net TTK doesnt seem to be all that much slower. Hawkmoon range is nerfed but the LitC seems to proc more often and the weapon seems to handle better.

Hmm, hadn't thought about the Jewel lately. I'll give it a go tonight (when I'm not giggling like a madman as I NLB fools).

Did people have Exotics in one of their inventories level-up with the 2.0 patch? I was holding a bunch of unleveled weapons and they all leveled themselves up overnight.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Slight onset accuracy buffs to both, without undoing the hip fire buff to TLW, and maybe a 15% range buff to HM would be enough to round the trio out I think.
Yup. Outside of TLW, I haven't noticed too much to be honest. Thorn DoT seems to affect targets differently but the net TTK doesnt seem to be all that much slower. Hawkmoon range is nerfed but the LitC seems to proc more often and the weapon seems to handle better.

Hmm, hadn't thought about the Jewel lately. I'll give it a go tonight (when I'm not giggling like a madman as I NLB fools).
It doesn't proc more often if you're just emptying the mag (it may "seem" due solely to randomness, but nothing about the odds have changed), but you can CAUSE it to proc way more often than before the patch.

nOoblet16

I actually think HC in general will see their range being increased to more "sensible" distance. Apart from that I dont think we'll see much at least in case of TLW. Bungie have forced the players to rely on hipfire more than ever now so I guess they are happy there.

So long as it's only that and nothing more Mr Durden :p

BTW - How's the messenger working for you in 2.0? I remember that was your jam when we did a trials run.

I actually played somewhat with pilgrim in PvP and found it lacking it's mojo. So I'm using Juju instead which seems to be hitting that sweet spot. The bonus super energy is a nice thing too. It's not 'wrecking' in my hands, but I love auto firing pulses, so it fits my play style better.

That's awesome, but I feel like it ends too abruptly. Any chance you could make one with "My Friends..." while he's looking at the camera, and then the next line when he turns around? Then a couple of steps without text at the end?

Only if it's super easy to edit. I don't know how involved gif making can be.

I actually planned to leave it in but edited that part out to make the gif smaller.

giphy.gif

you're right though. that is perfect.

ocean

Banned
Hmm, positive? Does it depend on the target Armor?

What about one headshot and one body shot?
There's 2 ways you can double tap with HM:

1. Consecutive luckies or one of the luckies proc twice: Headshot and a body shot
2. One lucky and one regular: you need two headshots

Edit: you actually can't ever get a kill with 2 body, I was mistaken. Best case is consecutive or double lucky, a headshot and a body

These numbers assume Aggressive, don't know the damage for other barrels

I actually played somewhat with pilgrim in PvP and found it lacking it's mojo. So I'm using Juju instead which seems to be hitting that sweet spot. The bonus super energy is a nice thing too. It's not 'wrecking' in my hands, but I love auto firing pulses, so it fits my play style better.

Ah - I need to give the JuJu another run. I used the Hopscotch last night and did above a 1.0 KDR...it seemed like it was a three burst kill now?

Frenden

Banned
Listen, rather than just reeling off a bunch of stats, go try it out in the Crucible and then get back to me. The gun still wrecks. As we all know, simply looking at the bars and seeing which are lower or higher doesn't always tell the full story.

Okay, SMARTY PANTS, I decided to give Hawkmoon another shot for an entire match and... it's still pretty good.

COj1SSAUwAALDNr.jpg

Thorn DoT is pitiful now lol. 3 damage and it doesn't seem to last nearly as long.

I actually had to aim for the player and land consistent headshots to get kills at mid range. It doesn't feel dirty anymore though.

So is PoE harder, easier or same since 2.0 changes? I have never run PoE once, but that stupid Moments of Triumph thing is incomplete and taunting me. Is it hopeless to try to run it now? I played the shit out for Destiny right up until HoW launched and haven't touched it until this Tuesday, but now want to finally play the HoW content I already paid for.

Sounds like its harder or at the very least people need to come up with new ways to tackle the old encounters that rely on weapons that saw increased PVE stat bonuses from the update

Juraash

Did people have Exotics in one of their inventories level-up with the 2.0 patch? I was holding a bunch of unleveled weapons and they all leveled themselves up overnight.

Several of mine did, though not all of the ones I was holding weirdly enough. Like my Bad Juju got fully unlocked while my Red Death got zilch. Both were on me but not equipped. Also my exotic armor didn't seem to be impacted.

On another note, I kind of wish Bungie was able to parse grimoire for the blueprints for exotics. A good while ago I ditched a Suros and a Light Beyond Nemesis and it'd be nice to have them in the collection now. I'm fairly sure the only way to acquire cards on that stuff is to own them. It's a super minor thing as I'll probably never use either, but it would have been nice.

TLW needs 2 rounds in the mag and it would be fine.

2 more rounds? The mag size is fine IMO. It just needs something done to either its damage scaling or its accuracy (hell, both even).

They nerfed The Last Word's base stability and range on top of the nerf to Perfect Balance and Aggressive Ballistics AND on top of the Hand Cannon ADS and accuracy nerfs. The changes are stacked against it and now that everyone is using less impact it feels weaker and inconsistent.

nOoblet16

I can't believe they barely made any practical difference to shotguns in PvP but made so many other changes including the STUPID PvE shotgun damage nerf (maybe they should have discussed on why they increased it in the first place back in Feb).

In PvP the shot package cone is now nerfed from 50% to 20% but what could have made the difference is higher damage drop off. These shotguns already had a lot of range and impact so shot package nerf doesn't do much to it.

wait what

2 more rounds in the mag and TLW would be fine I mean.

2 more rounds? The mag size is fine IMO. It just needs something done to either its damage scaling or its accuracy (hell, both even).

They nerfed The Last Word's base stability and range on top of the nerf to Perfect Balance and Aggressive Ballistics AND on top of the Hand Cannon ADS and accuracy nerfs. The changes are stacked against it and now that everyone is using less impact it feels weaker and inconsistent.

No those things are intended. Hand cannons aren't supposed to have range especially TLW. It's a close range weapon. It needs more shots in the mag because if you miss almost any shots you lose close range engagements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom