• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT30| Long Live the King

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think im going to try and do a weekly PvP series. Kinda like a "Map Monday" where i break down the pros and cons of each map. Some basic criteria can include

Pathing and Flow
Spawns
Height Variation
Visual Clarity
Gameplay Opportunity and Balance
A callout layout at the end

Just need to find a decent mic i guess

Would definitely watch.

Whistles

TG you could even have guests on.
Stabie (you reading this?) :p
Wicked
Rubenov
Taeshik Cha
Koro

Do it before IGN does and calls it something else

I would watch for sure. as an average PVPer I would love to get tips from you sir. I wanna be better, just not sure how. lol

What do you guys think? Map Monday is good?

Like, i'll spend an average of 10 minutes going through those things. The problem with Destiny that makes me reluctant to do this however is that it doesn't have a theater mode. What I'd need to do instead is play the maps in a full party and take a bunch of screenshots to talk over, kind of like a sports highlight reel. That'll be interspersed with gameplay to keep it visually interesting; otherwise, i'm limited solely to clips playing the map and I don't find that engaging with just dialog overtop.

Yay? Nay? Would people care about some scrandies opinion on the maps?

Like, i'll spend an average of 10 minutes going through those things. The problem with Destiny that makes me reluctant to do this however is that it doesn't have a theater mode. What I'd need to do instead is play the maps in a full party and take a bunch of screenshots to talk over, kind of like a sports highlight reel. That'll be interspersed with gameplay to keep it visually interesting; otherwise, i'm limited solely to clips playing the map and I don't find that engaging with just dialog overtop.

I like the idea of educating the masses so would be glad to help out however I can.

If you are ever recording, I can log in with my account and my wifes to fill up space.

JayHayabusa

Can anyone tell me why I am only generating 1 orb of light with Gunslinger

Playing Woken The Hive mission. Warlock and Titan were 7 orbs per super easy.

Not sure what I am missing. Do I need to kill majors with Golden Gun?

noomi

I really really like this shader.
11931000_439564899583602_7843493171798670558_o.jpg

My favorite of the three as well, the warlock CE shader looks pretty great as well.

I would most definitely watch! Always looking for some good tips.

Can anyone tell me why I am only generating 1 orb of light with Gunslinger

Playing Woken The Hive mission. Warlock and Titan were 7 orbs per super easy.

Not sure what I am missing. Do I need to kill majors with Golden Gun?

Killing majors helps, but the biggest obstacle is that hunters can't generate orbs for shit across the board.
:(

you'll probably have to play multiple matches and edit them together to get your point on it. write a script with all the things you want to talk about, and then get the screenshots, clips that go along with that.

Ugh, I still haven't tried it out but I've been sitting here reading so many people post about how good it is. How long until it gets nerfed?

Bad Juju is as good as it ever was (post that first weapon rebalance), it just wasn't an exotic handcannon so very few people used it as it couldn't compete. Now that you can't get two shot and walked away on with Thorn from ridiculous ranges pulses are allowed to fall into their natural niche and Bad Juju is damn good at it.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I absolutely love how all the subclass quests force you to be a team player and make orbs for the fire team. Randoms are gonna get so wise in year 2. It's so cute

Why do people keep saying that dances are class specific? I always thought dances were based on race?
CE dances are class specific

I like the idea of educating the masses so would be glad to help out however I can.

If you are ever recording, I can log in with my account and my wifes to fill up space.

Just to clarify though, it'll be less "how to play on this map" and more about the design of the map itself. I can't teach people how to play on the maps, partly because I don't always have that down myself, but mainly because everyone plays a map different. I don't Shotgun, nor do i stay far back with a Pulse Rifle, so I can't speak to those playstyles.

All I can do is say "This route over here is good, this one is bad, and this whole section looks like shit."

Sector 618 should be easy to break down.

you'll probably have to play multiple matches and edit them together to get your point on it. write a script with all the things you want to talk about, and then get the screenshots, clips that go along with that.

Yea i'll definitely be using a script and i'll record the dialog last, just because my setup isn't exactly audio friendly and i'd have to go elsewhere to do so.

Bad Juju is as good as it ever was (post that first weapon rebalance), it just wasn't an exotic handcannon so very few people used it as it couldn't compete. Now that you can't get two shot and walked away on with Thorn from ridiculous ranges pulses are allowed to fall into their natural niche and Bad Juju is damn good at it.

So do people generally think it's better than Red Death?

Lee

ABXDzPG.gif

Personally I'm not throwing my money at the screen for any of it. Also, faction exotic class items have a perk that allows you to wear them and an exotic armor piece. Class exotics from CE do not. I just don't see the value there.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

That sounds great, and I'd be happy to help any way possible if you need anything.

Killing majors helps, but the biggest obstacle is that hunters can't generate orbs for shit across the board.

Alpha lupi plus majors with golden gun does OK. Nighthawk with a major only gens 4 orbs though, I think it should probably be 6 since you are limited to one shot. hopefully void hunter can make orbs.

Just to clarify though, it'll be less "how to play on this map" and more about the design of the map itself. I can't teach people how to play on the maps, partly because I don't always have that down myself, but mainly because everyone plays a map different. I don't Shotgun, but I don't stay far back with a Pulse Rifle, so I can't speak to those playstyles.

All I can do is say "This route over here is good, this one is bad, and this whole section looks like shit."

Yea i'll definitely be using a script and i'll record the dialog last, just because my setup isn't exactly audio friendly and i'd have to go elsewhere to do so.
Aka watch us 1337 team pwn some scrubs as I or we figure this shit out ;)

Just to clarify though, it'll be less "how to play on this map" and more about the design of the map itself. I can't teach people how to play on the maps, partly because I don't always have that down myself, but mainly because everyone plays a map different. I don't Shotgun, nor do i stay far back with a Pulse Rifle, so I can't speak to those playstyles.

oh I get it cool, yeah, that would be awesome. throw in some lore too, just for a bonus.
all these maps have a story. Im sure there is objects in the world to help with that. it would be good to have more than one perspective as you can show your camera around one corner for example and someone else on the other side, and be like "slip back here for appropriate cover ect...
Im not good at PVP so i may be off my rocker here, but just some ideas

Alpha lupi plus majors with golden gun does OK. Nighthawk with a major only gens 4 orbs though, I think it should probably be 6 since you are limited to one shot. hopefully void hunter can make orbs.

Yeah majors are fine but you have to soften them up considerably. Golden Gun is also far more effective than Bladedancer. I have taken out multiple opponents in PvP before to only make one measly orb where a tian smash would have made 5. The same is true for PvE. I think the nightstalker class will help. It seems that orb generation has as much to do with the strength of the target as it does with getting multiple kills simultaneously which is at odds with the style of the hunter's current supers.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Gunslingers are fantastic for orb generation and Arc Blade just got buffed. Whaddya talking about? You absolutely do need to kill majors.

Use Alpha Lupi or Achylophage Symbiote and combustion. A major should be 5 orbs (with alpha lupi), two should be 8.

edit: On that mission there are three very squishy major acolytes that come out of the door...

edit: Orb generation across the board in PvE is about killing majors. The supers are tuned differently for orbs in PvP.

That sounds great, and I'd be happy to help any way possible if you need anything.

Mhmm will just need to go into a combat-free lobby and run around the maps taking HUDless screenshots. That way there isn't anything obstructing the view, allowing me to highlight the areas I'm discussing. Should be able to get most shots in a game or two.

Will be hard to do that on Skyshock, First Light and Bastion though.

I'm hoping that if it ends up being popular, Bungie could send me B Roll footage of the maps to use thereon. ^_^

Gunslingers are fantastic for orb generation and Arc Blade just got buffed. Whaddya talking about? You absolutely do need to kill majors.

Use Alpha Lupi or Achylophage Symbiote and combustion. A major should be 5 orbs (with alpha lupi), two should be 8.

edit: On that mission there are three very squishy major acolytes that come out of the door...

Running Undying Mind yesterday with alpha lupi I swear six was the most I made killing multiple majors.

Yeah killing majors gives you more, but I am pretty sure in PvE if you kill 4 red bar enemies at the same time with fist of havoc you will make more orbs than if you had killed them with bladedancing. Source: speculation and gut feelings :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Running Undying Mind yesterday with alpha lupi I swear six was the most I made killing multiple majors.
arc blade or golden gun?
Orb generation is now capped to a maximum of 8 orbs at once when wearing exotic armor items that increase orb spawning rates
Arc Blade can now generate up to 6 Orbs when geared with exotic armor that increase orb spawning rates

If you're talking about Bladedancer, 6 orbs is a BUFF from what it was before.

Yeah killing majors gives you more, but I am pretty sure in PvE if you kill 4 red bar enemies at the same time with fist of havoc you will make more orbs than if you had killed them with bladedancing. Source: speculation and gut feelings :p
Absolutely. Bladedancers don't excel at Orb Generation, but Strikers and Gunslingers do.

Gunslingers only make 7 now as well.
Well that's a shame.

edit: Orb generation across the board in PvE is about killing majors. The supers are tuned differently for orbs in PvP.

I was doing the gunslinger quest the other night and I was only making 6 orbs without Alpha Lupi and 7 with Alpha Lupi on two majors.

oh I get it cool, yeah, that would be awesome. throw in some lore too, just for a bonus.
all these maps have a story. Im sure there is objects in the world to help with that. it would be good to have more than one perspective as you can show your camera around one corner for example and someone else on the other side, and be like "slip back here for appropriate cover ect...
Im not good at PVP so i may be off my rocker here, but just some ideas

The lore idea is cool. I want to ultimately keep it simple though, otherwise it'll end up being too long.

Regardless of playstyle, I think there are areas of advantage on maps that more or less work for everyone.

That's absolutely true. I wont gloss over the way people play on the map, but it wont be a focus. I like the concept of showing actions from different angles. It's sort of simulating a game to that end.

phen0m24

I would most definitely watch! Always looking for some good tips.

Aka watch us 1337 team pwn some scrubs as I or we figure this shit out ;)

Ahem. Comments on your questions incoming.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom