• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT30| Long Live the King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenden

Banned
AWW YISS! FATEBRINGER!!!!! finally got this again on my new account
hgbjPns.jpg

I'm ready for The Taken King!
kappa.png

lol dammit so close to Hawkmoon

z1LCqbh.jpg

You laugh, but with 10 rounds and decent stats, I found Fatebringer to do some work in Crucible now, heh.

Grunt birthday party!

noomi

AWW YISS! FATEBRINGER!!!!! finally got this again on my new account
hgbjPns.jpg

I'm ready for The Taken King!
kappa.png

lol dammit so close to Hawkmoon

z1LCqbh.jpg

*noomi found ascendant shards*

ALLLLLL NIIIIGHT!

Thanks for the run fellas, nighty night DGAF.

neoism

• Dungeons - A sleeper hit, the Dungeons is TTK's best 3v3 map. I haven't played it in 6s yet but I imagine the spawns being wonky. From a design standpoint, it's clean, simple to understand and leaves most of the combat up to the player.
  • Bannerfall - Pleasing to look at with good verticality and pathing to boot. Bannerfall is the premier Rift map and it handles beautifully, but it struggles with pacing in the other game modes. Control especially plays weirdly with the dynamic spawns and oddly placed zones. Its overall layout however is strong, and better objective and spawning could secure its spots as one of the better maps.
  • Crossroads - A unique map with neat geometry and fun gameplay mechanics. Probably not good for 3s, but 6s flow pretty well.
  • Frontier - Although the free terrain should make this a free fire zone, the structures get a bit complicated. It's not that great for Rift, but it has potential in the other game modes
  • Drifter - This map in 6s is ridiculous. The spawns are all over the place and the tunnels are like clogged arteries. In 3s however I think its pathing will shine and allow players to plan their movements around the map.
  • Vertigo - The teleporters add an interesting dynamic to this map that hasn't been fully tapped into yet. The geometry is a bit convoluted and i think the routes are too flat, but it is one of the stronger objective maps in TTK.
  • Memento - Bungie tried something extreme here with verticality that we haven't really seen in a Destiny map yet. Unfortunately, they accompany that verticality with a bunch of long stair cases and clutter the rest of the geometry with visual noise. The map is distracting and cramped and ultimately wastes its potential. I think it will be decent in Salvage and Elimination, but Rift and Skirmish aren't too hot.
  • Sector 618 - I think this map speaks for itself. I honestly can't think of one redeeming factor on it. The bridges were a neat concept but were poorly executed because of how closed off and decorated they are. We're left with a cluttered map with wonky spawns, virtually no sightlines and unpredictable map flow. Halo 2's backwash was a better map.
:/ still haven't played on dungeons or crossroads.. bungie should look into their playlists rotation. they reaaaally should take out the old maps in the rift playlist...

Frenden

Banned
kxIMPMt.jpg

i dunno about that though

I'd rather have a Jewel or a Fulcrum with Icarus, legendary wise, but Devil You Know and Fatebringer did alright too. I played a few matches last night with both.

The Firefly effect doesn't do enough damage to warrant the loss of accuracy in air, though.

todd360

Subbed or dubbed? ;P

Dubbed with British actors. It would be subbed as well of course since Harry Potter transcends borders and languages.

I bet Todd's the sort of individual who only watches dubbed :p

I like both subs and dubs.

You should play the Game Boy Color adaptations of the first two books. They're fantastic RPGs and super faithful to the books.

I played those. Damn, that was a long time ago. I miss the great Harry Potter era.

Edit: chamber of secrets on ps2 was so good. Flying around the school on a broomstick? Hell yeah.

I hope Xur is selling Bones of Eao tomorrow. Missed it last time :(

Me too. :(

Dubbed with British actors. It would be subbed as well of course since Harry Potter transcends borders and languages.

I like both subs and dubs.

I played those. Damn, that was a long time ago. I miss the great Harry Potter era.

Edit: chamber of secrets on ps2 was so good. Flying around the school on a broomstick? Hell yeah.

I approve. Such good memories.

todd360

Which makes you a scrub.

Yeah yeah.

Oh, fig can be Hermione's voice actor. I would pay to see a dubbed over Harry Potter movie with fig as Hermione and zoba as every other character. Or we could just gather up British destiny gaf so zoba doesn't have to work very hard.

I can't stop laughing. Fig saying Hermione's lines in her own way would be the best. Figmione wouldn't take shit from anyone. Not even voldermort.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Yeah yeah.

Oh, fig can be Hermione's voice actor. I would pay to see a dubbed over Harry Potter movie with fig as Hermione and zoba as every other character. Or we could just gather up British destiny gaf so zoba doesn't have to work very hard.
Oh, now I know you've gone entirely off the deep end :p

So is it safe to say that it's worth coming back after quitting the game about 6-7 months ago? I'm seeing a lot of positive response thanks to the update and I'm trying to get my buds back into the game, but wanted to see how everyone's enjoying it so far.

So is it safe to say that it's worth coming back after quitting the game about 6-7 months ago? I'm seeing a lot of positive response thanks to the update and I'm trying to get my buds back into the game, but wanted to see how everyone's enjoying it so far.

The patch has added some nice stuff and there is a lot more content now than 6 months ago and there's about to be even more on Tuesday. Definitely the time to get back into the game.

Karl2177

So today was my first chance to sit down for a while and test the waters of the new meta. It feels like primaries are at a good point. Exotics tend to be more powerful than their Legendary counterparts, but there are exceptions to this. Last Word didn't feel right firing from the hip or with ADS. I ended up running Mida + Dance Machines and that was getting me >2 k/d's. Secondaries are still ruled by the Shotgun. At this point, I'd say just remove Shot Package. The nerf didn't do much to affect how people use it. Having said that, if you can get a Vestian Dynasty on someone, holy shit does it wreck. I've gotten so many Double Downs from that thing. Still not a fan of Heavies in matches, but at least G&H doesn't feel as strong.

As for the new maps, I like Bannerfall, Dungeons, and Crossroads. I don't mind Vertigo or Drifter. Don't like Frontier or Memento. Bannerfall has areas where CQC shines and Sniping shines, and there are ways to have them crossover. The B Control point is a bit iffy on its placement, but I can get over that. Rift on this map was really fun. Having the Rift point on the ledge meant that players would go to that point to try and kill the carrier and it was a bunch of fun. Dungeons is fantastic for Clash. The only problem I've had is that enemies can respawn on your side of the map in times where it shouldn't. Crossroads was fun because I was using a Sniper and would watch my back. Managed to get one Snipe as I was flying across the middle and that felt good.

I wasn't too keen on Vertigo at first, but it's really just a circle. As with any Bungie circular map, the best tactic is going to be go around the circle and go through the middle only when you have a power weapon(or super in Destiny's case). Drifter was very shotgun heavy, but thanks to the Vestian Dynasty I wasn't completely powerless. I didn't get a chance to fully learn the map, as I got hit by one of the funniest bugs that 2.0.0 introduced. Apparently if you get hit by Thorn, Suppressed, and then attempt to do any ability that gives a status change, your game will crash. I saw that they were looking into a bug that caused games to crash when too many statuses were afflicting a player and lo and behold it happens to me.

I feel like Frontier has a lot of cool sightlines that are blocked by a rock or a train car. It leaves a lot of awkward angles where there isn't much room to strafe or advance. I understand why the main bridge is that way, but from the corners of either base, there are loads of rocks that ruin the flow. It also has the problem that almost every Reach and Destiny map has where what seems like it should be a simple walk forward actually requires a jump because of a 3 pixel lip. Memento didn't have a good flow. I only played Control on it, but it seemed like B was abandoned after the first minute and people only fought on the main street.

As for Rift, I think it's okay. The whole neutral bomb concept is good, but on certain maps, it just doesn't work.Thieves' Den is a perfect example of where it doesn't work. Rift is a perfect example of where it does work. Hopefully when TTK playlists come out, Rift is only on the handful of symmetric maps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going back to the Omolon Sniper thing. I have no problem if people bring the weapons into Crucible to see how they perform there. I just have a problem with forcing progression through Crucible. I get that it is supposed to make you play different. That's a good aspect of it. It's also good that it temporarily shifts the meta. One problem is that these weapons have to be fun to shoot and fun to be shot at. Another problem is that these things affect how players behave in the game, which can be positive or negative. Lastly, not all weapons are meant for Crucible use.

To address the first problem in greater detail, let's take a look at shotguns right now. Shotguns are fun to shoot in PvP. The player naturally feels rewarded whenever the "Kill +100" pops up on screen. There are some who feel cheap when they use a shotgun. These people are the ones who recognize that they themselves don't like being shot by a shotgun. A lot of the problems with shotguns comes from the fact that Shot Package makes them easier to use and in turn easier to die to. Now how does this apply to the Omolon Sniper and the Omolon Fusion Rifle? The Sniper Rifle wasn't fun to use, partially because of the high recoil when shot and partially because it couldn't kill a player with a pixel of shields without a headshot. The Fusion Rifle wasn't fun to get killed by (at least for me) because the sound effects for the weapon didn't always go off.

The second problem is player behavior. In Halo: Reach there was a Challenge to kill 8 players with a Plasma Grenade in 1 match. This caused players to vote for gametypes that wouldn't normally get voted for such as Elite Slayer. The downside to this is that it also affected the loadouts that the player picked. Players would choose the Armor Lock loadout because it allowed them to run up to an enemy player, stick them, and Armor Lock to avoid taking damage from it. This type of gameplay was largely detrimental for their teammates whose goal was to win the match. When I played with the Omolon Sniper, I was a detriment to our team because I only cared about getting kills with the sniper. This meant I wouldn't take a shot on an enemy until they were shieldless or I knew I had the headshot. Now that's definitely a problem with my behavior, but the game is encouraging it.

On the last problem, Bungie has said that they are going to handcraft the Nightfalls to make a better experience for the player. The weapon tests aren't hand crafted. The Sniper Rifle's perk is Last Resort. Last Resort would be a good perk if Trials/Elimination was available, but they aren't. This weapon was designed for Crucible about as much as the Vision of Confluence was. I will acknowledge that the fusion rifle was alright in this situation. There were moments where I was surrounded by 3 guys and I managed to kill 2 thanks to the perk.

Man, I hate making posts this long without pictures.

Man, I hate making posts this long without pictures.

Agree completely with the post Karl, especially about the maps.

As for the weapons, I didn't bother taking them into Crucible (aside from the Rocket Launcher). I know the meta is a little more flexible currently, but I didn't enjoy using them in PvE and I doubt it'll be much different.

I did the weekly right after picking up the armsday stuff. We were all using the pulse rifle as a primary and everything was taking abnormally long to complete because of it. After wiping twice on Omnigul everyone said "nope" and whipped out their OG shotguns and ghorns.

The armsday system has quite a way to go. We won't know the exact metrics behind it until next week or the one after, but for now it feels like, to quote an earlier post, a chore.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Excluding exotics next friday will be the first time in a year we go into a raid with weapons (and to a lesser extent armor) we haven't grown accustomed to. It's like we're experiencing vanilla again.

Excluding exotics next friday will be the first time in a year we go into a raid with weapons (and to a lesser extent armor) we haven't grown accustomed to. It's like we're experiencing vanilla again.

I think the raid mechanics are going to be the bigger issue. Hopefully it's not like Crota HM all over again.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Omfg that Crota kill.

We've decided that Crota knows daddy is in town and is trying extra hard to impress him. Brushing up on all the old tricks. Invisi-vision, disappearing swords, the works!

I can't believe we pulled that last run off. I neeeever mention it during the run, but typically on a Newbie run, seeing that "Enrage is Near" pop up just means game over. That transition from the Ogre-Res-Run across when everyone thought I was inside on the bottom was so tense, but you all kept it together and made it back... only to have the Swordbearer follow us inside! Everything that could possibly go wrong did go wrong with that run. Deaths, disappearing sword, swordbearer on crack. And we still held it together an pulled it off... with a first time swordbearer for the kill no less. So fucking good!

ahaha that was fun as hell. Seems like the patch reset Crota to version 1.0 though. All the old glitches are back, and I got the shader and emblem as though I'd never beaten it before... uhhh?

Well hey. Even with the extra handicaps, awesome run.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I think the raid mechanics are going to be the bigger issue. Hopefully it's not like Crota HM all over again.

Do you mean glitchy or barely any mechanics besides giant mobs of over leveled enemies? As I recall
both raids are level 42
which makes sense since they said hard was developed first and then normal was just a watered down version. To me that means there may be many new mechanics to learn, especially when you look at what they've been doing with bosses from strikes and the court. bottom line, I'm not worried about a crota situation.

rainy_day

Omfg that Crota kill.

We've decided that Crota knows daddy is in town and is trying extra hard to impress him. Brushing up on all the old tricks. Invisi-vision, disappearing swords, the works!

I can't believe we pulled that last run off. I neeeever mention it during the run, but typically on a Newbie run, seeing that "Enrage is Near" pop up just means game over. That transition from the Ogre-Res-Run across when everyone thought I was inside on the bottom was so tense, but you all kept it together and made it back... only to have the Swordbearer follow us inside! Everything that could possibly go wrong did go wrong with that run. Deaths, disappearing sword, swordbearer on crack. And we still held it together an pulled it off... with a first time swordbearer for the kill no less. So fucking good!

ahaha that was fun as hell. Seems like the patch reset Crota to version 1.0 though. All the old glitches are back, and I got the shader and emblem as though I'd never beaten it before... uhhh?

Well hey. Even with the extra handicaps, awesome run.
Thanks again for hosting that was an epic run!

Does anyone want to run HM Crota? I'm helping a good friend get her Triumph done.

1. Me
2. Jezveot

Edit: Still continuing the No GIFS/Images Top Post :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom