• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT30| Long Live the King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lnkn52

So about 2.0 and its changes to the Ceucible, here's my main takeaway:

The way we play has to change fundamentally in terms of loadout selection. Pre 2.0, most of us had a go-to weapon. If you mained Thorn or TLW or Red Death or whatever, you basically kept that 99% of the time. Your Special slot was probably always a shotgun or a sniper - maybe changing it out depending on the map.

The thing is, good weapons were far too versatile and could always be used everywhere. Now there's maps where you definitely want a Pulse Rifle, others where you might want a Scout, others where you feel a HC or AR would work better. It'll be hard to play at a high level with a single weapon trying to fit all the different maps now that damage drop off is so clearly defined for each weapon class.

This is interesting and will promote more varied play, but it'll also make it far more difficult to master a single weapon. You'll be rocking Messenger one match then switch to MIDA or Salvation State the next.

I still will wait to make a final thoughts on these changes since we haven't gotten 2.0 weapons/gears.

phen0m24

What did they post?

Luke was watching Zoba and the guys in crucible and agreed with X Frame that he needed to go food shopping before Tuesday. :)

Urk told xplicitone they he could post more about destiny. Hahaha

We'll be spending the next 5 years going after Crota's relatives.
Father, Mother, Brothers and Sisters, Cousins etc.

Why not either the cabal, whose secret home base may be on Saturn, or a new race altogether?

Maybe we'll go to a cold planet and get those snow/ice levels folks have clamored for.

I know it's cold there but I hope we don't go to
Uranus
hahaha

Wallach

The way we play has to change fundamentally in terms of loadout selection. Pre 2.0, most of us had a go-to weapon. If you mained Thorn or TLW or Red Death or whatever, you basically kept that 99% of the time. Your Special slot was probably always a shotgun or a sniper - maybe changing it out depending on the map.

The thing is, good weapons were far too versatile and could always be used everywhere. Now there's maps where you definitely want a Pulse Rifle, others where you might want a Scout, others where you feel a HC or AR would work better. It'll be hard to play at a high level with a single weapon trying to fit all the different maps now that damage drop off is so clearly defined for each weapon class.

This is interesting and will promote more varied play, but it'll also make it far more difficult to master a single weapon. You'll be rocking Messenger one match then switch to MIDA or Salvation State the next.

To be honest a lot of what we see about the "meta" right now is kind of meaningless. There are far too many weapons we have never seen, some that occupy weapon categories that do not yet even exist. All it really takes is one or two individual weapons to invalidate entire other weapon types, much less choices within their own type.

Afrocious

No just because you said you don't like aiming your gun to get kills.

It's...kind of funny you don't want to aim to win XD

Ohh lol yeah that's weird, I know.

I mean it's just aiming the Thorn seems off to me. I don't feel precise with it like I am with scout rifles.

E92 M3

Luke was watching Zoba and the guys in crucible and agreed with X Frame that he needed to go food shopping before Tuesday. :)

Urk told xplicitone they he could post more about destiny. Hahaha

Why not either the cabal, whose secret home base may be on Saturn, or a new race altogether?

Maybe we'll go to a cold planet and get those snow/ice levels folds have clamored for.

I know it's cold there but I hope we don't go to
Uranus
hahaha

There is nothing I want more than to go to an ice/snow world. Please Bungie give me Europa or Alaska/Antarctica on Earth. I love snow worlds/areas in video games.

One of the main reasons Skyrim has become one of my favorite games.

Deku Tree

I know, but it's just hard to imagine true friends betraying someone like that for a court case. Unless they were bribed or strongarmed of course.

Since we don't know the testimony then it's hard to judge... But I doubt Marty's side of the story is the 100% truth personally because it never is with anybody. If people are still working at a company and want to keep working there then they usually tow the party line... Unfortunately that's the way the world works.

And yeah on the internet you usually refer to famous people by their first name and it doesn't imply that you are on a first name basis with them.

So speaking of XP gains and reaching level 40...

My IRL buddy was trying to layout the plan of attack for when TTK goes live. He said, "I think we should start with the NF-" I cut him off, "I'm pretty sure the NF is going to be locked behind end game content and level gated like it is now" His response was, "Son of a bitch!"

Haha. I don't think it's going to take long to get to level 40. It's once again the light level that will be the "issue" My personal plan is to get all my toons to 40 and then focus on gear for my main for the raid. The other two will fall into place as my warlock becomes more and more powerful.

E92 M3

Since we don't know the testimony then it's hard to judge... But I doubt Marty's side of the story is the 100% truth personally because it never is with anybody. If people are still working at a company and want to keep working their then they usually tow the party line... Unfortunately that's the way the world works.

And yeah on the internet you usually refer to famous people by their first name and it doesn't imply that you are on a first name basis with them.

Exactly what I'm thinking.

WipedOut

There is nothing I want more than to go to an ice/snow world. Please Bungie give me Europa or Alaska/Antarctica on Earth. I love snow worlds/areas in video games.

One of the main reasons Skyrim has become one of my favorite games.

You want snow?, give me Beach, water and palm trees. Maybe put in a beach ball to kick around. Oh and maybe throw a couple corona consumables in there too.

Pretty much nailed it, I quit out of frustration trying to get the one gun to rule them all like we had previously. I'm going to re enter the fray with a clear mind over the weekend and erase any memories of how guns used to perform

gspec

So speaking of XP gains and reaching level 40...

My IRL buddy was trying to layout the plan of attack for when TTK goes live. He said, "I think we should start with the NF-" I cut him off, "I'm pretty sure the NF is going to be locked behind end game content and level gated like it is now" His response was, "Son of a bitch!"

Haha. I don't think it's going to take long to get to level 40. It's once again the light level that will be the "issue" My personal plan is to get all my toons to 40 and then focus on gear for my main for the raid. The other two will fall into place as my warlock becomes more and more powerful.

Those are my exactly plans as well.

Afrocious

You've been gone for a while and the Crucible is in a weird spot right now with everybody figuring out the range and stability of their new weapons. Just keep at it and you'll get better. Practicing Sniper skill is probably the single best investment you can do though - it's an amazingly powerful weapon class when used well.

Okay, I'll keep doing what I'm doing then. Hopefully when TTK drops, I'll be able to keep up with other players' knowledge on guns.

ocean

Banned
To be honest a lot of what we see about the "meta" right now is kind of meaningless. There are far too many weapons we have never seen, some that occupy weapon categories that do not yet even exist. All it really takes is one or two individual weapons to invalidate entire other weapon types, much less choices within their own type.
Oh certainly it'd be foolish to think "Messenger is the new king!" or any other specific weapon before we get the new stuff. But I doubt the new weapons will change this scheme where there can't be a one which gun fits all scenarios like Thorn or TLW used to be.

Like we'll certainly end up with a short list of candidates, and there will be a "best HC/PR" or whatever, but with weapon types being this differentiated, I can't imagine even the best conceivable Hand Cannon or Auto Rifle being any good at long range for example.

FyreWulff

Really? I thought he composed a suite intended for the length of the franchise.

Which Bungie wasn't under any obligation to use.

All of Bungie's composers and Marty are also part of the ASCAP union/guild*, so there's no way there would be Marty music on that soundtrack with no credit. Nobody would ever work with them again. Bungie also put people in Destiny's credits years after they had left the company, they don't really seem like the credit-deletion type to me. There are some companies out there that will remove you from the credits if you leave two weeks before gold.. heck, they still had Alex Seropian in the credits for Halo 2.

* I know for a fact Marty and Salvatori were ASCAP due to interviews before, but I went and checked; C Paul Johnson and Skye Lewin have been nominated for ASCAP awards, which only can be given to ASCAP members.

xinek

Sadly I'm at work right now!

And yeah, I know, it's the best part of the game and all that, I just got a bit burnt out with dealing with anything to do with online play after years of swearing teenagers on Xbox live taking their toll.

If anyone does want to raid, I'm on PS4, using a level 34 hunter, 161 light, and available tonight from 10pm. PSN name is TotalBiscuit257.

And yes, it's the same as the youtuber. Its a name from a Discworld book, and I'd been using it for almost a decade online before he got famous.

10pm what time zone? There's a high probability I'll be able to raid with you if it's late enough, like 10-11pm CDT. I've only done VoG once, and it was really, REALLY fun. Been itching to do it again. I need to get at least one exotic weapon!!

Yup. This exactly the conclusion I came to last night. Each map I was changing my loadout. For example, on Bannerfall, I went Scholar/Vestian Dynasty. On Memento, I went Juju/Felwinters.

Gorgons is open PSN same as here

And just realised why I was dying a lot on Crota last night, I was under recommended light level as I'd equipped the wrong boots :d

I think hawkian is ignoring us because he is preparing an epic nighthawk post a la Drizzay's Thunderlord post.

Edit: ha there it is, its coming guys.

2.0 crucible seems good so far. it will take a while before everyone settles in and we figure out what the best weapons are, but i've seen tons of variety so far. i've been having lots of success with all different kinds of weapons.

my main complaint is that they keep nerfing fusion rifles, even though nobody uses them. i don't understand it. they give this tiny nerf to shotguns, then they make fusion rifles worse again.

Kyoufu

2.0 crucible seems good so far. it will take a while before everyone settles in and we figure out what the best weapons are, but i've seen tons of variety so far. i've been having lots of success with all different kinds of weapons.

my main complaint is that they keep nerfing fusion rifles, even though nobody uses them. i don't understand it. they give this tiny nerf to shotguns, then they make fusion rifles worse again.

Bungie cannot allow players to have fun with the only sci-fi weapon type in their sci-fi game.

Just tried or Praedyth's Timepiece in pvp. Damn son!

I reckon these low impact pulse rifles are basically better auto rifles. Probably helps that PT has nice perks on it too

Deku Tree

OS_TTK_Cover.jpg

RIP Marty

thought he composed the music for the full 10 years, why leave him out of the credits...?

He didn't compose the new music.

Looks like he didn't compose the HoW or the TDB music either... I was personally underwhelmed by the vanilla Destiny music by my old Halo music standards... I hope the TTK music is a bit step up... judging by the new TTK title screen music etc I am optimistic.

noomi

Sometimes I really hate my job, I can't wait for this weekend to start. I don't want to do shit for the next 2 days but be lazy and play destiny.

People were crying about the HypeScotch nerf but I was still kicking butt yesterday. My Hopscotch has Headseeker and Perfect Balance and the faster fire rate feels great.

Lnkn52

Looks like he didn't compose the HoW or the TDB music either... I was personally underwhelmed by the vanilla Destiny music by my old Halo music standards... I hope the TTK music is a bit step up... judging by the new TTK title screen music etc I am optimistic.

Still no release date? Listening to Vanilla OST atm. Brings back memories.

Deku Tree

Still no release date? Listening to Vanilla OST atm. Brings back memories.

TTK OST is going live on 9/15 on all the usual places to buy music according to yesterdays weekly update. They will even be releasing a higher quality version on the Bungie store with some extra goodies.

Wallach

People were crying about the HypeScotch nerf but I was still kicking butt yesterday. My Hopscotch has Headseeker and Perfect Balance and the faster fire rate feels great.

PRs feel like they are as strong as they have ever been. Plus they got a free 25% damage boost in PvE so they clean up both sides of the game now. My PR love continues to pay dividends.

i think it's better. the 2-burst kills were fun, but the old version was too sluggish to use on a lot of maps.

it's basically a re-rollable red death now.

flkraven

My thoughts exactly. When playing last night, I would juggle between Bad JuJu / Red Death / Hard Light and mix my secondary weapons depending on the map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom